ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ocean City, NJ recommendations

S.B. Crumb

All American
Dec 17, 2003
Taking the fam for a few days this summer. Never been.

Best options for accommodations and dining? Anything to do other than boardwalk?

FYI - 7 year old boy in tow.

Flanders would be a good place to stay. Right on the boardwalk.

Depending upon what you are into you can do anything from deep sea fishing to a day trip to Cape May.

I was intrigued until I saw the summer rates. Damn that's pricey.

I own in OC and almost every house or condo usually rents by the week. When you said you were going just for a few days I thought of the Flanders. You could also try the Port O Call which is on the boardwalk as well but not as centrally located but slightly less expensive. http://www.portocallhotel.com/

Here are a list of hotels/motels in Ocean City: http://www.oceancityvacation.com/where-to-stay/hotels-motels.html. I cannot vouch for any of them but if you want to be near the action you probably want to look at Ocean Avenue or Wesley Avenue.

For short trips, I stay at the Residence Inn across the bridge in Somers Point.

Not dry in Somers Point, just get it there
Try Brown's for their donuts. On the boardwalk, but not sure of off-season hours
http://brownsocnj.com/index.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/browns-restaurant-ocean-city

Here is a nice quote from Yelp:
"My only experience with Brown's is the takeout window for doughnuts. It may be $9.00 for a dozen doughnuts, but it is worth it. If they told me that I would have to punch my grandmother in the stomach to complete the transaction, I would do it without hesitation (sorry Grams)! The line is usually long but they are usually pretty quick to fill orders. The doughnuts literally come out of the fryer as you order them. If you stay in Ocean City, this place is a must try."
--People swear by these donuts.

I also like, for casual seafood, fresh but inexpensive: Mike's Seafood (fried and broiled fare)
http://www.mikesseafood.com/ordereze/default.aspx

The Sea Isle City location is open year round, but the OC shop open in early to mid May
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mikes-seafood-of-ocean-city-ocean-city

Also, my favorite breakfast place in OC: Ma France Creperie
http://www.mafrancecreperieocnj.com/

A little pricey, but in past years, I had the best cafe au lait at this place. I don't know why, but it was magical. I would get that with a buckwheat crepe with walnut and brie, and all was right in this tempestuous world

Last edited:
The boardwalk is great for the kids. Early morning biking on surrey is fun as boardwalk is kind of dedicated to it. If your from north jersey you just have grin and bear all the Philllies and Eagle fans

As a year round resident of OCNJ I have a few recommendations. Since you are only going for a few days and not a week, renting a house may not be an option, it depends on when you plan on going. Peak season 99.9% will only rent for a full week. That being said if you do your homework and want to go midweek, you may be able to find someone who will rent since a lot of people who own and rent sporadically only come down on the weekends. So it may work for them. Look on VRBO if you want to stay in a home vs motel/hotel. The Flanders as you have discovered is probably the most expensive hotel in town.

As to hotels, if you are looking for best value/location/cleanliness, I would say the Oceanfront Motel is your best bet. Basic hotel/motel right on the beach. Best rates in town. If $$ is not a factor, I would say the Portocall is your best bet, they have a pool and its right on the beach.

Since you have a 7 yr old, the boardwalk is always fun, plenty of rides and places to rent bikes/surrys in the morning. Hike the beach at Corson's inlet in the morning, its all the way at the end of the island and there are no houses. Lots of things for a 7 year old boy to explore and find.

As for places to eat, most people who live here all say the same thing. The restaraunts suck. Since its a dry town, you can't even BYOB so this means anyone with a decent chef isn't going to open up in town. There are a few good places for breakfast though, Sunrise Cafe, Readys Coffee Shop, and Varsity Inn to name a few as well as the Windjammer Diner across the 9th st bridge. If you want donuts, forget Browns, its where all the tourists go and you will wait in line for 30-45 minutes just to get a donut. I think they purposely have slow service just to make the line longer so people think they are so amazing I must stand in line. Go to Oves instead. THey make the same, fresh donuts, the line is never more than 5 minutes and its also on the boardwalk, so you can hit it during your bike ride. If you decide to go there for breakfast, you will probably have my daughter as your waitress so make sure you leave her a good tip, SHE IS A HUGE RU FAN!! For dinner, as previously mentioned, Smittys clam bar, (also across the bridge in Somers Point), byob and good old fashioned seafood. Nothing fancy be prepared to wait though but you can drink outside while you are waiting and its right on the bay which is nice. On that same street you also have the Anchorage, good, reasonably priced food and bar. Same street, right on the bay is Doc's place, very good food, a little more pricey but well worth it. They also have outside tables right on the water which is nice.

Reactions: S.B. Crumb
As a year round resident of OCNJ I have a few recommendations. Since you are only going for a few days and not a week, renting a house may not be an option, it depends on when you plan on going. Peak season 99.9% will only rent for a full week. That being said if you do your homework and want to go midweek, you may be able to find someone who will rent since a lot of people who own and rent sporadically only come down on the weekends. So it may work for them. Look on VRBO if you want to stay in a home vs motel/hotel. The Flanders as you have discovered is probably the most expensive hotel in town.

As to hotels, if you are looking for best value/location/cleanliness, I would say the Oceanfront Motel is your best bet. Basic hotel/motel right on the beach. Best rates in town. If $$ is not a factor, I would say the Portocall is your best bet, they have a pool and its right on the beach.

Since you have a 7 yr old, the boardwalk is always fun, plenty of rides and places to rent bikes/surrys in the morning. Hike the beach at Corson's inlet in the morning, its all the way at the end of the island and there are no houses. Lots of things for a 7 year old boy to explore and find.

As for places to eat, most people who live here all say the same thing. The restaraunts suck. Since its a dry town, you can't even BYOB so this means anyone with a decent chef isn't going to open up in town. There are a few good places for breakfast though, Sunrise Cafe, Readys Coffee Shop, and Varsity Inn to name a few as well as the Windjammer Diner across the 9th st bridge. If you want donuts, forget Browns, its where all the tourists go and you will wait in line for 30-45 minutes just to get a donut. I think they purposely have slow service just to make the line longer so people think they are so amazing I must stand in line. Go to Oves instead. THey make the same, fresh donuts, the line is never more than 5 minutes and its also on the boardwalk, so you can hit it during your bike ride. If you decide to go there for breakfast, you will probably have my daughter as your waitress so make sure you leave her a good tip, SHE IS A HUGE RU FAN!! For dinner, as previously mentioned, Smittys clam bar, (also across the bridge in Somers Point), byob and good old fashioned seafood. Nothing fancy be prepared to wait though but you can drink outside while you are waiting and its right on the bay which is nice. On that same street you also have the Anchorage, good, reasonably priced food and bar. Same street, right on the bay is Doc's place, very good food, a little more pricey but well worth it. They also have outside tables right on the water which is nice.

Newell, we have been going to Congress Hall in Cape May and really like the set up (they provide beach chairs and towels as well as having a very nice pool). Flanders looks interesting because you have amusements right on the boardwalk. We have a 4.5 year old. I've never been to Ocean City, NJ and would not mind changing things up this summer. Would you recommend Portocall over Flanders?

Newell, we have been going to Congress Hall in Cape May and really like the set up (they provide beach chairs and towels as well as having a very nice pool). Flanders looks interesting because you have amusements right on the boardwalk. We have a 4.5 year old. I've never been to Ocean City, NJ and would not mind changing things up this summer. Would you recommend Portocall over Flanders?

Congress Hall is awesome, we have been going there for Christmas Eve the last couple years and in no way does the Flanders compare. Cape May has a whole different vibe than OC but if you have a 5 year old then OC maybe the better option. If it was me I would pick Portocall over Flanders, more up to date and nicer pool as well as a less crowded beach

Reactions: patk89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT