ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Yankees Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw an article that listed all of Judge's home runs and it's not exactlya Who's Who but it's more like a Who's That? It was 56 different pitchers and I 'm not a big follower of the American League but honestly at least 45 of them I never heard of.
Here's the article.

That's not a bad list. Top to bottom of the order is all represented.

And his bullpen guys were no day at the beach either.
While there are good starter/relievers out there, too few of the hitters in MLB change their approach when they get 2 strikes. They flail away with seemingly no interest in increasing their odds of making contact. It gets highlighted when there are guys on base, especially with 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Schmidt’s in the game.
Obviously, Boone has no intent
to win
Someone, anyone...explain Boone's fascination with Schmidt?

I feel sorry for the guy.

As another person mentioned, CS is a guy you pitch when you're down by 7 or up by 7.

Boone trying to get canned?

Someone, anyone...explain Boone's fascination with Schmidt?

I feel sorry for the guy.

As another person mentioned, CS is a guy you pitch when you're down by 7 or up by 7.

Boone trying to get canned?
Yet I've heard so many people talking about Schmidt being in the starting rotation in '23.
Not sure what they're seeing.

While there are good starter/relievers out there, too few of the hitters in MLB change their approach when they get 2 strikes. They flail away with seemingly no interest in increasing their odds of making contact. It gets highlighted when there are guys on base, especially with 3rd and less than 2 outs.

Was killing me last night watching this. Not only with 2 strikes but situationally as well....

3rd Inning - runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. A fly ball or ground ball to the middle or right side will bring in the runner and could have changed the complexion of the entire game. Donaldson instead chooses to swing hard and strikes out on 3 pitches. Note that later in the game he changed his approach (eighth inning) and with 2 strikes swung to contact and ended up fouling away a nasty slider (out of the strike zone) and then later walking. I'm sure these guys are all in on prep and effort - but would seem to me that in the playoffs these guys have to adjust and treat every at bat and opportunity/situation as precious.

Rizzo is a prime example of a guy with high BBIQ. With 2 strikes he choked up and swung to contact last night. Was on base in the 1st Inning, 3rd Inning and Homered in the eighth.

Reactions: MitchLL
When you look at the lineup- it just screams- Cashman has to try to shake it up for next year. Yanks have done well but...

The 2/3/4 guys are guys you need but they really need to be 3/4/5
Bader will make you forget Montgomery - I liked this guy before you guys picked him up.

Cabrera has a place on the team- but need to find some guys that aren't all or nothing to mix in. DJ was the perfect fit and not having him at peak is rough.

Get yourselves a win tonight and get back to putting Cole and Nester in a place to mover you forward

17 total
That’s 5 more times than Yogi Berra struck out for an entire season in 1950
Isn't that the truth. Your Dad just didn't strike out. So many great hitters didn't, ie, Musial etc.
You know I've been on this forever.

Isn't that the truth. Your Dad just didn't strike out. So many great hitters didn't, ie, Musial etc.
You know I've been on this forever.
And he would swing at nearly anything he liked and hit it. Guerrero was the same. Didn't matter if it was in the strike zone. If they had a bead on it they would swing and hit it.

Last edited:
And he would swing at nearly anything he liked and hit it. Guerrero was the same. Didn't matter if it was in the strike zone. If they had a bead on it they would swing and hit it.
They hit like we all did in backyards and playgrounds. If you liked a pitch to hit, you went and got it.

When you get to a level such as the greatest in the world- That only works successfully by someone else that is the greatest in the world and has insane eye hand coordination.

There is a reason we can only quickly point out Vlad and Yogi- 99% of baseball players that can see ball hit ball- no matter in the zone or not- never make it to that level.

Something Dale has pointed out quite a few times- and I have to admit, I used to be someone that just said- it's easy, they shift, hit it the other way.

Is that, it is not easy to do. Sounds simple, but if a guy makes it to the majors and he is a pull hitter- he made it because he is very good at being a pull hitter- it is not easy to just start going the other way.

What drives me crazy though, and I am sure, it is the same for you.

Anyone that says outs are equal- many of todays hitter are coming up where an out by contact is equal to a K. And yet- they can show a stat like BABIP or something like that- when you put a ball in play- the MLB average is something way way above .300
And obviously- if your out is a K - you BA is zero.

During a 20 year career Tony Gwynn averaged about one strikeout per week. And when I saw that I was surprised it was that high!
Yogi had 414 in his career. Joey Gallo was close to that in 2 years in a row. Both 200 + strike outs in back to back years

Reactions: colbert17
30 KOs in two games.

That's nearly unbelievable.

It made no sense to bring Carpenter back under these circumstances.

30 KOs in two games.

That's nearly unbelievable.

It made no sense to bring Carpenter back under these circumstances.
Carpenter needed a nine-iron to hit that one. Yanks better get their sh!t together…would be great to see a little energy against the team that robbed them with the garbage can fiasco.

Wasn't meant to be tonight.

One of the reasons I hate analytics. Who really cares about or needs this information?

That's like the article I saw about why Hader is striking out everyone in the post season is because he is now hitting 100MPH on his pitches when before it was only 99.
Now I've never seen either a 99 mph pitch nor a 100 mph pitch but does that make that much of a difference for MLB hitters??

Reactions: Mufasa94
Only 13 Ks which is less than last night. I’m sure Boone will point that out during the post game presser.

This series is over.

I don’t have a rooting interest here, just hoping for a good series…Yankees coming home with Cole and Nestor lined up. I think this series goes back to Houston.

Can you imagine how stressed out Cashman must have been in that 9th inning? He's spent his entire life trying to create a team that could conceivably strike out more than any other team in a playoff series ... and then he gets to the 9th inning today and he sees Donaldson (who couldn't hit water if he fell out of boat) up and he must have said, "One more in the books, we're gonna have a shot at the record" and then he walks on a 3-2 pitch. Cashman must have been crushed. But then he remembered that he's got Aaron Boone running his team and Boony realized he had a guy on his bench who had not had a base hit since the first week of August. And like a true gamer, Boone sent Carpenter up to the plate and that motherf----er looked just like Ray Charles (for the second day in a row) - he even pinch hit for a guy who was 0-3 with three strikeouts because he was so confident Carpenter would bring home the K. I mean Bregman was shifted halfway to second and any competent manager has your guy bunt down the 3rd base line to put the scoring run on second (and the winning run on base), but nope Boone was gonna take his chances with a Carpenter HR/K. Cashman must have had an erection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
Ya gotta feel at least a little sympathy for fans of those one-hit wonders from Queens.
1986 was soooo long ago.
Is it too early to call you guys The Strikeout Kings? That # is 30, I hope I got that # right, seems I have a problem with #'s. That would be a name that's tried and true over several seasons, this being year 13 of the wait for 28 no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT