ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Princeton

To be fair 2018 Princeton went 5-9 in the Ivy. I don't really think a loss to this year's Princeton team is a bad loss (and they're #55 in the NET, so Q2 even if you played them at home) but they aren't usually going to be that high, and will generally be a Q3.

And if they actually are "better than their numbers" (which is nonsense, but it's what a certain poster believes) that's actually a reason NOT to play them.
Nonsense?

Sweet 16…. They are better than numbers since most teams won’t play them.

Nonsense? Are you outta your mind?

To be fair 2018 Princeton went 5-9 in the Ivy. I don't really think a loss to this year's Princeton team is a bad loss (and they're #55 in the NET, so Q2 even if you played them at home) but they aren't usually going to be that high, and will generally be a Q3.

And if they actually are "better than their numbers" (which is nonsense, but it's what a certain poster believes) that's actually a reason NOT to play them.

Sadly, people are not going to understand the second paragraph.

If you win, you don't get the credit you should.
If you lose, you get more blame than you should.

It's literally a lose-lose situation if they are "better than their numbers".

This. But to be fair, Even if Princeton was 55 every year, I don’t want to aim to play neutral games against bubblers because I don’t think they offer good “ROI” (borrowing investment terminology). History seems to say that the committee values a win over a 5-6 seed a lot more than it values a win over an NIT team. No matter what the Kenpom numbers say - I do not believe the difference in difficulty between beating a 6 seed and beating an NIT team makes up for that difference in perceived resume value.

Nonsense?

Sweet 16…. They are better than numbers since most teams won’t play them.

Nonsense? Are you outta your mind?
He’s saying we have no idea since they didn’t actually play the games. They could be better. Maybe some years they are. Other years, the opposite might be true though. You can’t know because the games weren’t actually played.

Sure. But the comment was: "You are not getting penalized for losing to Princeton ever."

He’s saying we have no idea since they didn’t actually play the games. They could be better. Maybe some years they are. Other years, the opposite might be true though. You can’t know because the games weren’t actually played.
Not playing any Q1 games really only becomes a problem metrics wise if they completely blast through their schedule. If they were 26-0 then it might be hard to tell how much better than all their opponents they were. As it is though, even in a really good year they lost 4 games so you don't really need Q1s to place them.

Also, why did they only play 26 games? Maybe play a real schedule if you want to be taken seriously..

Sure. But the comment was: "You are not getting penalized for losing to Princeton ever."

Yeah this is just silly - every team has down years. Ironically - Princeton was penalized for playing Rutgers this year. If their current team had the same resume but instead played and beat the 2019-20 version of RU (replace the St Bonnie’s game) they would’ve had better computer numbers and probably would’ve made the field.

For us, my opinion is that we should aspire to include 3-4 teams with preseason expectations to make the field. Things don’t always go as planned and that works in both directions. But if we tried to schedule better teams, on average, we’d have more OOC opportunities against at large teams.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Just to play devil's advocate, it is theoretically possible to be "better than your numbers" - but it would have to be related to a statistically significant amount of your numbers being accumulated with a different roster.

One option is that if you blew out a large number of your opponents and were up by 30+ with 5 min left in each game, and put in the end of your bench to finish all of those games.... ultimately resulting in 10-12 point victories. Your overall numbers would be worse in that scenario than the quality of your team if the standard rotation played a full game.

Another option is if during the early part of the season you were missing 1-2 key players, then they returned and you started accumulating much stronger numbers.... the overall average would be worse than you are playing with the current lineup, making the current makeup of the team "better" than its numbers.

Flip each of those situations, and you can be "worse" than your numbers, too.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Not playing any Q1 games really only becomes a problem metrics wise if they completely blast through their schedule. If they were 26-0 then it might be hard to tell how much better than all their opponents they were. As it is though, even in a really good year they lost 4 games so you don't really need Q1s to place them.

Also, why did they only play 26 games? Maybe play a real schedule if you want to be taken seriously..

I try to be objective and fair so I’m going to play a little devils advocate here. Until the conf tourney, Princeton had lost a total of 3 true road games. They won their only neutral game vs Rutgers. I know the competition wasn’t great, but they still won 11 true road games in 14 tries. It’s not so easy to be perfect on the road even when the competition is bad. Just as I say there’s no way to know how Princeton would’ve done against better teams, I don’t think it’s fair to pencil it in that a team like Michigan State would’ve done much better than 11-3 on the road vs Princeton’s schedule. There’s no way to know since Michigan State doesn’t travel to places like Harvard or Yale. But Michigan State only managed 3 true road wins all season and lost at home to James Madison. Their resume doesn’t scream slam dunk to have only lost 3 regular season games vs Princeton’s schedule. Just taking one team as a comparison and flipping the argument.

they are hosting UNLV tonight interesting game. they should get dominated in the paint but not much prep time for a young UNLV coach, and he has one starter def out and another is questionable.

Somebody told me Lee played with flu, I didn't watch game though, but he's their best player by far so would explain his shitty line

I had people tell me the Ivy champ or 2nd or 3rd place teams, would go .500 in the B1G, but they lose at home to the 7th best Mountain West team??

And the flu only impacts Ivy League kids when they don't play well or lose, no one else in CBB has the flu or plays under the weather.

The game of real basketball requires shooting, rebounding, defense and athletes. I saw Zach Martini when he played at Kean University with Mulcahy.....very nice player who has some fundamentals.

But when you play a UNLV and give up 60% FG% on your home floor, it's impossible to gather any rebounds because your opponent is scoring 3 out of every 5 shots at the basket.....and UNLV had 16 turnovers to just 8 by Princeton.

Martini did have 5 3s last night and scored 17PTS, which on paper looks like a player who can help anyone....but 1 rebound in 29 minutes and allowing 84PTS to a Mountain West team that isn't even in the NCAAs (UNLV is solid), is not a good sign if he is a RU target via the portal. The other players would also struggle on defense, probably at the levels we saw with Noah Fernandes, who clearly would be all 1st team Ivy League if he spent his career in that conference.

Noah actually shot 36% from 3 at RU, but in an extended stretch of 30+ games, you will get 10 games where that type of player puts up 10, 15, maybe 20 points......and in the other 20 to 25 games where a Martini actually gets defended properly, he is unlikely to score enough to offset what he will surrender on defense.

Iowa and Princeton are mirror images of programs.....RU struggled to defend Iowa and Iowa looks like world beaters.....the only reason RU hasn't handled Iowa or loses to teams like Princeton, is having too many poor or unskilled offensive players that can't take advantage of their porous defense.

The game is much more than shooting 3s.....Princeton masters or can beat teams who can't score off the dribble or shoot.

Reactions: RU84
Somebody told me Lee played with flu, I didn't watch game though, but he's their best player by far so would explain his shitty line

UNLV was also without 2 of their top 6 rotational players. Luis Rodgriguez (32.1 min, 10.7 pts, 6.6 rb - 31 games, 31 starts) was hurt in their prior game, and Kalib Boone (23.2 min, 11.1 pts, 5.2 rb - 30 games, 25 starts) was also out with an ankle injury.

Reactions: toby83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT