ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Princeton

I was told they should get an at large. Losing to Brown badly?!

You don’t understand how difficult the Ivy League is. It’s arguably the 2nd best conference (after the Big East obviously).
We would be so lucky move everyone out and get 8 Ivy transfers next year.
This terrible post will be documented on your Goldman analyst application.

Phone Call Reaction GIF

Look I’ll root for them. But cmon that conf is a joke when you look at the “grind” and mid to bottom.

Tough loss after what had been a very good season for them. 3rd worst 3P% on the year. 4th fewest assists. Most points allowed. Fewest points in a Div-I game this year for Xavian Lee.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Geo said that might not be a bad loss when we got blown out
Well, coming into today it was considered a Q1 loss - but it'll drop down to Q2 for tomorrow.

Princeton's better than Brown but had a bad game today - but because their schedule is so wretched (and we were so bad - robbing them of what could have been a signature win), it really makes it a very hard sell to argue for an at-large bid.

Whatever you say pal, but it’s not particularly relevant. A seven point loss is not a blowout. People have abused that term until it’s lost all meaning.
We all know we had a losing season but our resident geniuses always find the need to make these irrelevant comparisons. Maybe we should point out that we beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, Seton Hall, Northwestern , Maryland and Indiana-- many of which will make the post season . Info that has as much relevance but at least it praises RU ? rather than attacks it. Some so called "fans" truly suck.

At the end of the season Princeton would have easily defeated Rutgers bye double digits.
Sure
Contrast our home game against Wisconsin versus Wisconsin today.
Wisconsin would beat us by 30 on a neutral court now,as well as beat us handily at the RAC now

The bottom fell out

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Whatever you say pal, but it’s not particularly relevant. A seven point loss is not a blowout. People have abused that term until it’s lost all meaning.
Have to back you up on this one. Not sure it applies to our game vs. the Tigers but many game scores expand as teams foul to extend games that often inflate the scores. Besides under 10 isn't nearly a BO IMHO. Seen way too many games just this week alone where teams almost won down 10 with minutes to go.
Unless it is like 15+ I never look at the score itself as an indication of overall play.

Sure
Contrast our home game against Wisconsin versus Wisconsin today.
Wisconsin would beat us by 30 on a neutral court now,as well as beat us handily at the RAC now

The bottom fell out
We played as if uninterested at the very end.

Reactions: wheezer
It’s pretty clear that scheduling Princeton is pointless if in their best regular season in years they were a quad 2 loss that didn’t make the tourney. It’s also even more clear than before that we should be scheduling and destroying terrible Q4 teams OOC, or playing Q1 teams at neutral or away venues.

It’s pretty clear that scheduling Princeton is pointless if in their best regular season in years they were a quad 2 loss that didn’t make the tourney. It’s also even more clear than before that we should be scheduling and destroying terrible Q4 teams OOC, or playing Q1 teams at neutral or away venues.
It was a mistake and won't happen again.

Fans don't want to play Princeton because they run a offense that Rutgers had difficulty defending for decades.If you want to be the best, then compete against all types of teams and show that you belong.Having easy out of conference games hasn't helped Rutgers compete in the B1G Ten.

Reactions: Unionst
I was going to say I think the timing of this game played a part but then remembered our end of season performance..so never mind.
I still believe this is a game we should play just like the Hall. Win or lose let the rest of our resume decide for us. It's a Q2 game that counts against us because WE LOST. Sorry. We shouldn't be losing to them regardless of how solid they are.

Still too old school to think we need to uber engineer our schedule to design easiest path to tourney. That's like buying the best players so you don't have to coach them up and they'll naturally win. Buying and engineering your tourney spot. (don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting putting your head in the sand either. Some things just go too far for me).

Fans don't want to play Princeton because they run a offense that Rutgers had difficulty defending for decades.If you want to be the best, then compete against all types of teams and show that you belong.Having easy out of conference games hasn't helped Rutgers compete in the B1G Ten.
No - it’s not that. Fans against this game want to set the schedule up in a way that best helps us on Selection Sunday if we need it. Scheduling one off neutral or road games against unlikely At Large teams just isn’t a good strategy.

Now why wouldn’t the committe take a team with a 24-4 record? Because it’s an ivy league team? And they get only 1 bid?

Now why wouldn’t the committe take a team with a 24-4 record? Because it’s an ivy league team? And they get only 1 bid?
Because their best wins were Yale, Duquesne, and Rutgers. If they were 24-4 with a 3-4 record in Q1 and a clean sheet in Q2-Q4, they'd have been an at large.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Never a bad loss. It’s Princeton.
Good win!
Sweet 16 last year.
24-4
Historic rivalry.
Local game

Meow for all the crying. Embarrassing.

Reactions: Unionst
Never a bad loss. It’s Princeton.
Good win!
Sweet 16 last year.
24-4
Historic rivalry.
Local game

Meow for all the crying. Embarrassing.
It’s not a good win. It’s an “okay” win and not the kind of loss that gets overlooked with a high loss count on selection Sunday.

I’m not picking on Princeton. I don’t want Wake type home and homes on the schedule either. If we’re not playing in a preseason tourney (where your opponent in game 2 is adaptive based on what you do in game one) we should be targeting Wisconsin level teams for each of the 4 “real” games that we play. Beyond that - home games against Bryant and Howard types 130-250ish level teams (avoid 300s wherever possible).

Reactions: bac2therac
It’s not a good win. It’s an “okay” win and not the kind of loss that gets overlooked with a high loss count on selection Sunday.

I’m not picking on Princeton. I don’t want Wake type home and homes on the schedule either. If we’re not playing in a preseason tourney (where your opponent in game 2 is adaptive based on what you do in game one) we should be targeting Wisconsin level teams for each of the 4 “real” games that we play. Beyond that - home games against Bryant and Howard types 130-250ish level teams (avoid 300s wherever possible).
You are not getting penalized for losing to Princeton ever.

And you guys beat Princeton when rest of country is afraid to play them.

Teaching moment to lower pace teams and back door teams.

Like the MW, it’s clear committee looks beyond number manipulation.

You are not getting penalized for losing to Princeton ever.

And you guys beat Princeton when rest of country is afraid to play them.

Teaching moment to lower pace teams and back door teams.

Like the MW, it’s clear committee looks beyond number manipulation.

To be fair, there haven't been a lot of bubble teams that have lost to Princeton to prove that out. Last one was ASU (22-10) in 2019, who got picked for the 11-seed play in game vs. St. John's. In 2018, USC (21-10) lost to Princeton and was left out of the tournament to be a 1-seed in the NIT.

From an article at the time in 2018:

"USC Trojans
23-10, 12-6 Pac-12; RPI: 34; KenPom: 40; “Super Average”: 39.7; SOS: 39

Had the Trojans defeated Arizona on Saturday night, they would have only have to worry about their seeding. But Andy Enfield’s club is left sweating yet another Selection Sunday out. And that’s thanks to a profile that’s not quite as awesome as the numbers would indicate. While USC’s 4-5 record against Group 1 is better than UCLA’s 3-7 mark, the Bruins have a pair of top 20 wins, while the Trojans best victories came over Middle Tennessee and New Mexico State during Christmas week in Hawaii. USC went 10-10 against Groups 1 and 2 combined but those two Diamond Head Classic wins are their only top 50 victories! Plus, there was an unsightly home loss to Princeton before the trip to Honolulu.

While the Trojans’ computer numbers were good and their road (6-5) and neutral-court (5-2) records decent for a bubble team, clearly the Committee didn’t think their wins were of high enough quality."

Last edited:
To be fair 2018 Princeton went 5-9 in the Ivy. I don't really think a loss to this year's Princeton team is a bad loss (and they're #55 in the NET, so Q2 even if you played them at home) but they aren't usually going to be that high, and will generally be a Q3.

And if they actually are "better than their numbers" (which is nonsense, but it's what a certain poster believes) that's actually a reason NOT to play them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT