ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Seton Hall President stepping down.

kupuna133

All Conference
Jul 13, 2015

Overheard a couple Seton Hall oldtimers (connected)chatting at Spring Lake Taphouse. Sounds like it’s a much bigger issue than what is stated in the article. More embezzlement and one side ( law school/University)in much worse financial shape than advertised.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Lawyers/law school embezzlement? Say it isn't so!!!

As a proud graduate of the Seton Hall School of Legal Embezzlement, I can proudly say that I proudly either missed the embezzlement classes, slept through them and/or failed. I've never been caught embezzling.

One law school phenomenon that had me wondering is that many law schools (including Seton Hall) now offer substantial (and in many cases up to full tuition) scholarships to attend. I was not aware of this when I went. Also, many years ago, (maybe 10 or so), SHLS hit up alums as enrollment was way down and IIRC, professors took a voluntary pay cut. Maybe the old saying about there being too many lawyers is coming home to roost.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Lawyers/law school embezzlement? Say it isn't so!!!

As a proud graduate of the Seton Hall School of Legal Embezzlement, I can proudly say that I proudly either missed the embezzlement classes, slept through them and/or failed. I've never been caught embezzling.

One law school phenomenon that had me wondering is that many law schools (including Seton Hall) now offer substantial (and in many cases up to full tuition) scholarships to attend. I was not aware of this when I went. Also, many years ago, (maybe 10 or so), SHLS hit up alums as enrollment was way down and IIRC, professors took a voluntary pay cut. Maybe the old saying about there being too many lawyers is coming home to roost.
Guys were saying there were some “less than legal transactions” and “questionable accounting” over the years. I know two of the guys are lawyers Seton hall prep and University. Not sure if they went to seton hall law though. The other guy not sure who he was, occupation, or affiliation but he was trying to talk them off a ledge.

Guys were saying there were some “less than legal transactions” and “questionable accounting” over the years. I know two of the guys are lawyers Seton hall prep and University. Not sure if they went to seton hall law though. The other guy not sure who he was, occupation, or affiliation but he was trying to talk them off a ledge.
I think that they nabbed the embezzler, and I understand it was a fairly high level administrator. It was a significant sum of money, but in the grand scheme of University and Law School budgets, it was small potatoes. Maybe there was more that I did not hear about, as I do not really keep up on the embezzlement news at my law school. We have a couple of current students working for us, but they say they don't know anything, and probably best for them to stay out of it. Definitely a sticky situation for the law school

The law school does not have much of an affiliation with undergrad that I recall. I think dual JD/MBA is available, and Seton Hall undergrads may get slightly preferential admissions, but not sure on that either. Back when I went, there was a pastor/priest in the law school and a small chapel, but not sure if anyone saw the pastor or went to the chapel for religious services.

Maybe I'm overreaching like I did with the "prestige" of our little beach in Belmar, but SHLS seems to have a fairly higher profile than the SHU. Grads do really well in NJ and many do get opportunities at the top law firms in NYC.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I think that they nabbed the embezzler, and I understand it was a fairly high level administrator. It was a significant sum of money, but in the grand scheme of University and Law School budgets, it was small potatoes. Maybe there was more that I did not hear about, as I do not really keep up on the embezzlement news at my law school. We have a couple of current students working for us, but they say they don't know anything, and probably best for them to stay out of it. Definitely a sticky situation for the law school

The law school does not have much of an affiliation with undergrad that I recall. I think dual JD/MBA is available, and Seton Hall undergrads may get slightly preferential admissions, but not sure on that either. Back when I went, there was a pastor/priest in the law school and a small chapel, but not sure if anyone saw the pastor or went to the chapel for religious services.

Maybe I'm overreaching like I did with the "prestige" of our little beach in Belmar, but SHLS seems to have a fairly higher profile than the SHU. Grads do really well in NJ and many do get opportunities at the top law firms in NYC.
I’ve come in contact with a few seton hall law grads and have been mostly impressed. Very grounded and were very skilled in their expertise.

What you say above is pretty much what these guys were saying regarding the law school embezzling. Isolated incident and dealt with. Sounds like there is another shoe to drop (pardon the pun) regarding the university as a whole. Sounds like they are using that as cover. I am supposed to play golf with one of the old timers son next week. Maybe I’ll get some insight.

Didn’t Patt Hobbs spend multiple years as Dean of SHU Law School?

Dont expect him to make any public statements about this news.

This story looks like it will prove embarrassing for SHU.

Last edited:
I’ve come in contact with a few seton hall law grads and have been mostly impressed. Very grounded and were very skilled in their expertise.

What you say above is pretty much what these guys were saying regarding the law school embezzling. Isolated incident and dealt with. Sounds like there is another shoe to drop (pardon the pun) regarding the university as a whole. Sounds like they are using that as cover. I am supposed to play golf with one of the old timers son next week. Maybe I’ll get some insight.
Fun fact. Robert E Brennan, the First Jersey Securities guy who went to prison for various financial misdeeds, handed me my diploma and shook my hand at graduation. His name was removed from the Seton Hall Building and the one at the then Jersey Shore Medical Center.

Kind of wonder why SHLS needs SHU. Maybe they will spin off and become independent. I'm not familiar with the financial arrangement between SHLS and SHU.
SHU also took on a huge obligation with the new medical campus (the old Hoffman LaRoche HQ) in Nutley. It's quite an impressive facility. We took a close look at SHU for our youngest, who decided on another school to pursue a 6 year PA program. The kid was very keen on SHU, but after I did some deep digging, we persuaded him to look elsewhere. There were some whacky things going on in the PA program.

The most impressive thing about SHU to me is that fine radio station "Pirate Radio" which plays some arse-kicking music that really ticks off the religious faction. I don't know that station continues to stay on the air with that format, but it is hugely influential in the hard rock and metal community. I lost count how many free concert tickets I won from them. Just won a pair about 6 months ago.
Didn’t Patt Hobbs spend multiple years as Dean of SHU Law School?

Dont expect him to make any public statements about this news.

This story looks like it will prove embarrassing for SHU.
Why would he feel the need to make any statement about things that probably did not happen under his watch. He's been at Rutgers for nearly 10 years, and he was on sabbbatical for a while when he got the Rutgers AD gig.

Fun fact. Robert E Brennan, the First Jersey Securities guy who went to prison for various financial misdeeds, handed me my diploma and shook my hand at graduation. His name was removed from the Seton Hall Building and the one at the then Jersey Shore Medical Center.

Kind of wonder why SHLS needs SHU. Maybe they will spin off and become independent. I'm not familiar with the financial arrangement between SHLS and SHU.
SHU also took on a huge obligation with the new medical campus (the old Hoffman LaRoche HQ) in Nutley. It's quite an impressive facility. We took a close look at SHU for our youngest, who decided on another school to pursue a 6 year PA program. The kid was very keen on SHU, but after I did some deep digging, we persuaded him to look elsewhere. There were some whacky things going on in the PA program.

The most impressive thing about SHU to me is that fine radio station "Pirate Radio" which plays some arse-kicking music that really ticks off the religious faction. I don't know that station continues to stay on the air with that format, but it is hugely influential in the hard rock and metal community. I lost count how many free concert tickets I won from them. Just won a pair about 6 months ago.

Why would he feel the need to make any statement about things that probably did not happen under his watch. He's been at Rutgers for nearly 10 years, and he was on sabbbatical for a while when he got the Rutgers AD gig.
Yea Brennan is a bad guy. The owner of Vonage bought his house in Brielle and knocked the thing down with all of his artwork and furniture inside. Brennan did him dirty in some dealings and he wanted to shove it to he and his wife. Supposed to play his old course in mid august and again in September.

Yea they got plays in that medical school deal. Capital commitment use of their academic facilities while being built out. And then get thrown to the curb by Hackensack Meridian in 4-5 years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
"Fun fact. Robert E Brennan, the First Jersey Securities guy who went to prison for various financial misdeeds, handed me my diploma and shook my hand at graduation. His name was removed from the Seton Hall Building and the one at the then Jersey Shore Medical Center. "
might make the person receiving that diploma Shifty 😁

Then with Patt Hobbs spending multiple years as Dean of SHU Law School
makes everyone with a Law Degree there subject to guilt by assignation .

The guilt by association category also might include all of Hobbs' Rutgers hires as the RU AD.
ContentThriftyDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Yea Brennan is a bad guy. The owner of Vonage bought his house in Brielle and knocked the thing down with all of his artwork and furniture inside. Brennan did him dirty in some dealings and he wanted to shove it to he and his wife. Supposed to play his old course in mid august and again in September.

Yea they got plays in that medical school deal. Capital commitment use of their academic facilities while being built out. And then get thrown to the curb by Hackensack Meridian in 4-5 years.

Stupid to say the least. Could have donated the artwork and furniture to a charity that had no connection to Brennan.

Stupid to say the least. Could have donated the artwork and furniture to a charity that had no connection to Brennan.
To each their own. I also think it was stupid. But anger makes people do strange things.

Isn't that 2 universities in a week where Presidents resigned under suspect circumstances? Stanford and Seton Hall. Don't think they have much else in common. Oh wait! They both start with S.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Overheard a couple Seton Hall oldtimers (connected)chatting at Spring Lake Taphouse. Sounds like it’s a much bigger issue than what is stated in the article. More embezzlement and one side ( law school/University)in much worse financial shape than advertised.

Oh no! 13th grade will get a new "President"!

The ones I met seemed like folks who also would have thrived at Middlesex Community College.

Reactions: Joey Bags
When I interviewed for a faculty position at Seton Hall Law back in 1979, the dean was a priest, hard as that may seem to believe.
Clergy numbers today seem to be declining, at least in the Catholic Church. Catholics Nuns are almost extinct today.

What did you think of the place?

I remember when that was The Porch. Had not realized it is owned by the same guy who owns Stephen's Green Publick House, but maybe you told me that? I need to get a bottle of that Prevagen stuff to help my memory, but I keep forgetting to buy it.

I remember when that was The Porch. Had not realized it is owned by the same guy who owns Stephen's Green Publick House, but maybe you told me that? I need to get a bottle of that Prevagen stuff to help my memory, but I keep forgetting to buy it.
It’s the same guy who owns the The Shore Club (the old Doolan’s). The St. Stephen’s guys are partners.

Good burgers and many say the pizza is pretty good too.

Been going for years (loves the porch as well) Easy to grab a beer and sandwich after golf or take the family for a quick dinner.

Kids love it because they have a bunch of options. Pizza is low key good.

SHU Law School is by far and away the most prestigious school they have...I don't seem them letting it go without a fight.

SHU Law School is by far and away the most prestigious school they have...I don't seem them letting it go without a fight.
Independent law schools are rare. (At one time, the ABA refused to accredit them.) It used to be that running a law school was profitable -- they were cash cows for the central administration. That was because one doesn't need expensive labs, and student/faculty ratios can be pretty high. But that was before clinics became popular as a way to prepare students for the real world, and before law schools became loaded with administrators. Beside, faculty increasingly want to do interdisciplinary work. One of the problems, in fact, with Rutgers not having its law school in New Brunswick is that it makes collaboration difficult, especially for faculty at Camden 75 minutes away.

Independent law schools are rare. (At one time, the ABA refused to accredit them.) It used to be that running a law school was profitable -- they were cash cows for the central administration. That was because one doesn't need expensive labs, and student/faculty ratios can be pretty high. But that was before clinics became popular as a way to prepare students for the real world, and before law schools became loaded with administrators. Beside, faculty increasingly want to do interdisciplinary work. One of the problems, in fact, with Rutgers not having its law school in New Brunswick is that it makes collaboration difficult, especially for faculty at Camden 75 minutes away.

Not many left...Brooklyn...NY Law School...I think a handful of lower ranked ones in CA

Not many left...Brooklyn...NY Law School...I think a handful of lower ranked ones in CA
BTW, one of the reasons the South Jersey Law School joined Rutgers in around 1952 to become the Rutgers-Camden law school is that the ABA said it would no longer accredit independent law schools. But at the time the law school was running a two-year undergraduate program to prepare students for law school. (A four-year degree was then not necessary for admission to law school.) Here is an interesting fact: Rutgers has never founded a law school; it took over Newark's upon the demise of the University of Newark in 1946, and I've described above how it got Camden's. I find this fascinating because, as I've explained above, law schools were traditionally profit-makers for universities so it's not easy to explain why Rutgers never founded one.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
BTW, one of the reasons the South Jersey Law School joined Rutgers in around 1952 to become the Rutgers-Camden law school is that the ABA said it would no longer accredit independent law schools. But at the time the law school was running a two-year undergraduate program to prepare students for law school. (A four-year degree was then not necessary for admission to law school.) Here is an interesting fact: Rutgers has never founded a law school; it took over Newark's upon the demise of the University of Newark in 1946, and I've described above how it got Camden's. I find this fascinating because, as I've explained above, law schools were traditionally profit-makers for universities so it's not easy to explain why Rutgers never founded one.

More puzzling because Princeton doesn't have a law school that would have been competition, particularly if it had been around for 150 years.

More puzzling because Princeton doesn't have a law school that would have been competition, particularly if it had been around for 150 years.
It could be that whatever cultural factora led Rutgers not to have a law school applied equally to Princeton. Perhaps both thought of themselves as liberal arts colleges not to be soiled by professional education. OTOH, Rutgers did have a pharmacy program -- but that too was inherited rather than founded by Rutgers. Rutgers also established engineering and agricultural programs in the 19th century, but that was done to qualify Rutgers for land-grant college status under the Morrill Act of 1862.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT