ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

Are there any 1st teamers playing for the US?
Other than at keeper, I’m not seeing any tonight.

Panama has been sitting back and that’s given the US mids a bit more time which is helping. I think it’s a strategic mistake by the Panama coach. But he knows his guys and they were definitely looking tired at the end of the half. And they have had some success with counters.

US hasn’t sat back and is still aggressive in their shape. And that’s working so far, due perhaps to Panama sitting back themselves.

Interesting adjustments.

A “mix of precision and just guiding it”? Wordsmithery that was not. 😀
At some point we have to take a step back and go ... yeah this isn't the Netherlands or Brazil ... but Ferreira is still scoring an awful lot.

At some point we have to take a step back and go ... yeah this isn't the Netherlands or Brazil ... but Ferreira is still scoring an awful lot.
His work rate in this game has been excellent, he’s been a big factor defensively too. He had a couple clever touches in the attack to create for others - they didn’t work out, but they were quality tries.

His work rate in this game has been excellent, he’s been a big factor defensively too. He had a couple clever touches in the attack to create for others - they didn’t work out, but they were quality tries.
Yes. Balogun and Pepi get the hype but I think he is - cue Schiano - 'in the mix.' You either score goals or you don't. Plus he does do a lot effort wise beyond that too.

Yes. Balogun and Pepi get the hype but I think he is - cue Schiano - 'in the mix.' You either score goals or you don't. Plus he does do a lot effort wise beyond that too.
I still think he’ll wind up coming off the bench, though. But might be earning himself an earlier entrance.

Reactions: RuSnp
I hate penalties.
Does anyone remember the old NASL shootout, which was also used by MLS in it's early years? Analogous to how NHL ends its regular season ties with a series of penalty shots I much prefer that to PK's, as it's more of a 50-50 chance between shooter and keeper.

But even then, you're using 1-1 individual matchups to determine the outcome of a team sport. Kind of like resolving baseball ties via a home run derby.

USA punts the Gold Cup now. They just care about Nations League. Going to be interesting how to keep the top players engaged without having to go through world cup qualifying. I guess there is Copa next summer. We need to see if we can schedule some top tier friendlies going into 2026.

USMNT schedule for rest of year:

September - Home friendlies against Uzbekistan and Oman

October - Home friendlies against Germany and Ghana

November - Quarter-finals of 2023-24 Nations League. Two game home-and-home goal aggregate vs. TBD. This is absolutely vital is it determines Copa America qualification.

USA punts the Gold Cup now. They just care about Nations League. Going to be interesting how to keep the top players engaged without having to go through world cup qualifying. I guess there is Copa next summer. We need to see if we can schedule some top tier friendlies going into 2026.
They'll use the 2025 Gold Cup with the A team as a run up to the WC as well.

There's a huge drop off in talent from the first team to the guys who played last night. Especially in the midfield. We made Panama look a lot better than I think they are.

First half looked like a pro team against a college team. Second half Panama stepped off a lot, gave the US more time and space with the ball which made us look better on offense - but it was a mirage, mostly. Did boost the team's confidence some though. We tied up on somewhat fortuitous shin-ball shot.

Anyway, the hunt still continues for a play-making defender and a killer striker type.

Reactions: NorthernKnight
They'll use the 2025 Gold Cup with the A team as a run up to the WC as well.
IDK. It falls outside the FIFA international window. European teams may not want their players participating, even though their seasons are not in session. Whether those teams can legally prevent participation, I do not know. But they can apply pressure.

IDK. It falls outside the FIFA international window. European teams may not want their players participating, even though their seasons are not in session. Whether those teams can legally prevent participation, I do not know. But they can apply pressure.
I'm confused. The summers are normally intl windows. Is 2025 Gold Cup at a different time of the year?

Watched the DVR late last night - we just looked like crap most of the game. Panama easily could've scored a few in the first half if they finished a bit better and it didn't seem like anyone played that well. Nice, if a bit lucky, goal by Ferreira to tie it after the terrible defensive lapse that led to the Panama goal was one of the few bright spots, where it took 83 minutes for us to earn our first corner. Desultory performance.

I'm confused. The summers are normally intl windows. Is 2025 Gold Cup at a different time of the year?
You are right. There are two types of international windows. One is a fixed interval. The other is for a FIFA-recognized competition, such as the Gold Cup. I believe that teams must release their players for the Gold Cup, but not necessarily for any other friendlies to be played during that time period.

USMNT schedule for rest of year:

September - Home friendlies against Uzbekistan and Oman

October - Home friendlies against Germany and Ghana

November - Quarter-finals of 2023-24 Nations League. Two game home-and-home goal aggregate vs. TBD. This is absolutely vital is it determines Copa America qualification.

I'm a little surprised we don't get an auto bid, but I like having to earn a place. If I understand the qualifying rules correctly, we are in if we win the home-and-home. There is a second chance though - losers of the four home-and-home series face off with the winners of that home-and-home series making up the final two Copa entries.

I'm a little surprised we don't get an auto bid, but I like having to earn a place. If I understand the qualifying rules correctly, we are in if we win the home-and-home. There is a second chance though - losers of the four home-and-home series face off with the winners of that home-and-home series making up the final two Copa entries.
Your understanding is correct. There are six CONCACAF bids available for Copa America, and none are automatic. All must be earned.

Here's how it works:

The Nations League tournament begins in September. However, the top four ranked teams get a bye to the quarterfinals in November. There they will face the top four teams from the tournament. (Top two in each of two divisions.) The eight teams pair off and play two game goal aggregate. The four winners are in.

The four losers then pair off again. The two winners from this competition are also in. The two losers are out.

So, essentially it's an eight team double elimination tournament, with six survivors. USA should certainly qualify but nothing is assured.

Going into this gold cup I hated that we were going in with a largely a B-/C+ team. I questioned why we would do that at a time when we had built up some momentum and our A Team was showing that it could beat up on Mexico. Why let Mexico gain a foothold back? Never mind the potential public perception for the causal fan.

But after watching all the games I changed my opinion. I think it was really good to get a good look at the really young kids and see what we have in the pipeline and also to recognize that some of the older guys have little chance of being around for the 2026 WC.

Liked what I saw from Busio, Sands, Jones and Cowell. They look like they have a good natural package of ingredients and just need to mature more and each work on a few key areas.

I want to like the athleticism of a few of the other young guys but they have a lot of growing to do to be ready for prime time - Reynolds & Jalen Neal.

It’s getting clearer that there’s a bunch of familiar names that aren’t likely serious candidates for 2026 - Long & Miazga, Yedlin, Morris.

And lastly, the three that look like they are in the solid core of 15 of the A Team - Turner, Miles Robinson & Feriera.

Bottom line: I appreciated getting a good look, especially the two tournaments back to back.

Reactions: mdh2003
Going into this gold cup I hated that we were going in with a largely a B-/C+ team. I questioned why we would do that at a time when we had built up some momentum and our A Team was showing that it could beat up on Mexico. Why let Mexico gain a foothold back? Never mind the potential public perception for the causal fan.

But after watching all the games I changed my opinion. I think it was really good to get a good look at the really young kids and see what we have in the pipeline and also to recognize that some of the older guys have little chance of being around for the 2026 WC.

Liked what I saw from Busio, Sands, Jones and Cowell. They look like they have a good natural package of ingredients and just need to mature more and each work on a few key areas.

I want to like the athleticism of a few of the other young guys but they have a lot of growing to do to be ready for prime time - Reynolds & Jalen Neal.

It’s getting clearer that there’s a bunch of familiar names that aren’t likely serious candidates for 2026 - Long & Miazga, Yedlin, Morris.

And lastly, the three that look like they are in the solid core of 15 of the A Team - Turner, Miles Robinson & Feriera.

Bottom line: I appreciated getting a good look, especially the two tournaments back to back.
I'm sure he's had moments and I just wasn't watching - but what's the appeal of Morris? I've never seen him do a thing.

Does anyone remember the old NASL shootout, which was also used by MLS in it's early years? Analogous to how NHL ends its regular season ties with a series of penalty shots I much prefer that to PK's, as it's more of a 50-50 chance between shooter and keeper.

But even then, you're using 1-1 individual matchups to determine the outcome of a team sport. Kind of like resolving baseball ties via a home run derby.
They were so much more fun! Carlos Alberto with the chip! Jack Brand was awesome in shootouts!

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I can't remember the details, but I don't think the early MLS shootout was exactly the same as the NASL one, although it was a similar concept compared to PKs.

I was always a proponent of sudden death/"golden goal" in extra time to try to reduce the number of games going to PKs, but that just doesn't fly in other cultures which consider it incredibly unfair. No amount of arguing on my part has been able to convince my European soccer playing friends that it is no less fair than PKs 🙂

Obviously, we sent a B team to this Gold Cup, but that tournament is never going to have the juice of the Euros or Copa America. I'm intrigued by the comments above about CONCACAF getting spots in the Copa America in 2025. I'm going to have to look that up. If that became a permanent thing, creating a true Copa of the Americas, I think it would be tremendous for US Soccer and maybe you could just use the Gold Cup as a qualifying tournament for the Copa America.

Speaking of the Copa America, I've always felt that it would have a lot more prestige and get a lot more attention if it was held every four years rather than every two years, a brilliant idea of mine that has also gotten zero traction from my South American soccer playing friends 🙂

Our talent pool behind the A team is very shallow.

The COPA is not open to CONCACAF all the time. They do it randomly.
That’s been true in the past Zak57, but I had a glimmer of hope based on the discussion of the 2025 tournament above. My modest proposal is that the Copa expand to 16 teams by adding 5 slots from CONCACAF. Four groups of four is a perfect size for a tournament and the infusion of the North American markets/money would be massive for them. If it went to every four years I think it would rival the euros for interest in the US. Oh well, one can dream.

Reactions: Zak57
That’s been true in the past Zak57, but I had a glimmer of hope based on the discussion of the 2025 tournament above. My modest proposal is that the Copa expand to 16 teams by adding 5 slots from CONCACAF. Four groups of four is a perfect size for a tournament and the infusion of the North American markets/money would be massive for them. If it went to every four years I think it would rival the euros for interest in the US. Oh well, one can dream.
I'm not saying they won't do that going forward but as of now it's still invite only to CONCACAF that's all. A true tournament combining CONMEBOL & CONCACAF every 4 years during the EUROs would be incredible I agree.

I'm not saying they won't do that going forward but as of now it's still invite only to CONCACAF that's all. A true tournament combining CONMEBOL & CONCACAF every 4 years during the EUROs would be incredible I agree.
My thought would be to hold it in the year that there is no Euro, World Cup or Summer Olympics

I do! MLS also had a 35 yard offside line and an oddball points scheme where teams got 6 points for a win + 1 point per goal scored (up to 3). I kind of like the shootout versus PK.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT