ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

Just a little emotional about the goal. Puli Puli Sic Sic. Ha ha ha.

Nice ball control, turn and finish. He's just improving every time I see him.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Just a little emotional about the goal. Puli Puli Sic Sic. Ha ha ha.

Nice ball control, turn and finish. He's just improving every time I see him.
Early going, but Pulisic, Musa, Dest, Tillman and Balogun all starting (or playing regularly) AND sitting atop their respective tables. Not bad.

Reactions: mildone
Early going, but Pulisic, Musa, Dest, Tillman and Balogun all starting (or playing regularly) AND sitting atop their respective tables. Not bad.
I feel better and better about the next WC.

Would still like to see the MNT add some quality depth in the back, ideally with a defender (or two) that can distribute and facilitate when the team's up attacking in the final third. That, and a pure striker type (who can score reliably from beyond the box given very little space and time), is what I feel are the missing pieces that, if filled in, will make the team decently competitive in the elimination rounds.

Puli is better and better, but still not exactly that pure striker type. He might be by the next WC though, with his constant and rapid improvement these days.

Weah is probably my favorite player on the team, and consistently unbalances opponents. But he's also not a pure striker type. I think his value is more as creator for others by pulling opposing Ds out of shape then making good entry passes.

Reyna appears to have tons of talent and potential but not yet sure about where he fits w/the USMNT. Hopefully he and GB are able to form a good working relationship despite past difficulties.

Anyway, fun times ahead.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
We will see how much time Musah gets when Loftus Cheek et al are back fit. But my guess is he will do well at Milan just like Pulisic. Also positive is Turner at least for now holding off the Greek keeper at Forest. The most interesting thing to me right now is Weah and Mckennie at Juventus both essentially playing the same position - right wing back. Call me crazy but if Mckennie keeps it up (Juventus coach is happy at least for now) I wonder how Dest would do in a central creative role. I just will always worry about his defense. ARob doing Arob things at Fulham so all good on the other side. The clear bad news is Adams is not healthy and hasn't played a minute.

Reactions: RU848789
We will see how much time Musah gets when Loftus Cheek et al are back fit. But my guess is he will do well at Milan just like Pulisic. Also positive is Turner at least for now holding off the Greek keeper at Forest. The most interesting thing to me right now is Weah and Mckennie at Juventus both essentially playing the same position - right wing back. Call me crazy but if Mckennie keeps it up (Juventus coach is happy at least for now) I wonder how Dest would do in a central creative role. I just will always worry about his defense. ARob doing Arob things at Fulham so all good on the other side. The clear bad news is Adams is not healthy and hasn't played a minute.
And .... Turner dropped. Not ideal.

Return leg of Nations League match with Trinidad & Tobago starting shortly. USA lineup below. They took the match last week 3-0.

Musah now the most capped USA U-21 surpassing Puli, Jozy, and Landon.

Reactions: RU848789
Turner ..... yikes. We need an upgrade in net sad to say. He's lost his spot at Forest - I'm concerned for the WC.

Turner ..... yikes. We need an upgrade in net sad to say. He's lost his spot at Forest - I'm concerned for the WC.
I think Turner is a very good keeper (especially on making saves with great reflexes/positioning), but everyone misses one once in awhile. Not sure why he lost his spot at NF, as I haven't been following them at all.

Have to start to see what Slonina has even though he's young. They should have carried him as the last GK on the WC roster last turn to get an idea of how you need to prep.

I missed the red also so not sure what happened.

Just can't do this...

Sergiño Dest was red carded in the 39th minute after picking up back-to-back yellow cards inside of a minute against Trinidad and Tobago in the second leg of the CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinal on Monday.

Dest was yellow carded for picking up the ball and kicking it away after the ball was called out of bounds by the linesman. Dest then turned and started talking to the center referee, covering his mouth as he did so. Multiple teammates, including Gio Reyna and Tim Ream, tried to pull Dest away, but he continued talking to the referee and eventually blew a kiss. At that point he was shown a second yellow card and the red and was ejected.

I think Turner is a very good keeper (especially on making saves with great reflexes/positioning), but everyone misses one once in awhile. Not sure why he lost his spot at NF, as I haven't been following them at all.
He hadn't been playing great and this was the final straw it seems.

Ouch, that was ugly...
Yeah. I really like Turner. But I have to separate the "this is a great story - he seems like a great guy" from the results. He went to Arsenal to improve his distribution and largely I think he has. But it's just so risky to start a keeper who isn't getting regular time. Hope things turn around for him.

Just can't do this...

Sergiño Dest was red carded in the 39th minute after picking up back-to-back yellow cards inside of a minute against Trinidad and Tobago in the second leg of the CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinal on Monday.

Dest was yellow carded for picking up the ball and kicking it away after the ball was called out of bounds by the linesman. Dest then turned and started talking to the center referee, covering his mouth as he did so. Multiple teammates, including Gio Reyna and Tim Ream, tried to pull Dest away, but he continued talking to the referee and eventually blew a kiss. At that point he was shown a second yellow card and the red and was ejected.
Immediately prior to that episode, Dest appeared to have been fouled but it was not called. He was clearly pissed about that. Then a few moments later, he chased down a ball on the sideline and appeared to keep it in, but it was called out. He then just plain lost it.

The next competition is the Nations League semi and final in March. Dest will be ineligible for the semi. It will be interesting to see if he is called in.

Just can't do this...

Dest totally lost his shit tonight. It was on a ball that may or may not have rolled out of play. He clearly cussed out the center ref - before putting his hand over his mouth.

Immediately prior to that episode, Dest appeared to have been fouled but it was not called. He was clearly pissed about that. Then a few moments later, he chased down a ball on the sideline and appeared to keep it in, but it was called out. He then just plain lost it.

The next competition is the Nations League semi and final in March. Dest will be ineligible for the semi. It will be interesting to see if he is called in.
If he's eligible, I'd call him in. However, based on his behavior after the red, I wouldn't be surprised if CONCACAF gives him an extra game and takes the decision our of our hands. Just a completely inexcusable episode in a game that we had full control off until his selfish outburst. Completely changed the game, though we did so much up until that point that advancement was never really in doubt.

The bad thing is that there is a really good chance that the semifinal game is against Mexico again (assuming they dig out of this hole tomorrow night, which seems likely).

<edit> - actually, I take that back. Mexico likely finishes 4th, while we likely finish 2nd or 3rd and get Canada if they win or draw tomorrow.

Also, a reminder that the u17s play against Germany at 3:30am in the Round of 16. Brutal draw from here in, as even if we get past them, we'd get Spain, and then likely Brazil on the way to the final. Not overly impressed with the squad through 3 games, though there are a few individuals that I've really liked.

Canada loses to Honduras on away goals and is out of Nations League. They get a second chance to qualify for Copa America in March.

Mexico barely advances with a goal deep in stoppage time to tie the aggregate (and also tie away goals), and then wins the penalty shootout.

The four Nations League semifinalists are USA, Jamaica, Mexico, and Panama - who at this moment may be the best team in CONCACAF!

Trinidad and Tobago, Costa Rica, Canada, and Honduras drop to the losers bracket. Two of them will emerge as the final Copa America qualifiers.

Canada loses to Honduras on away goals and is out of Nations League. They get a second chance to qualify for Copa America in March.

Mexico barely advances with a goal deep in stoppage time to tie the aggregate (and also tie away goals), and then wins the penalty shootout.

The four Nations League semifinalists are USA, Jamaica, Mexico, and Panama - who at this moment may be the best team in CONCACAF!

Trinidad and Tobago, Costa Rica, Canada, and Honduras drop to the losers bracket. Two of them will emerge as the final Copa America qualifiers.
The Nations League semifinal matchups are USA-Jamaica, and Panama-Mexico. Semis and final will be played in Dallas.

I’ll find the video clip, but the Mex-Hon ending was crazy. A Mexican player got to take two extra tries from the penalty spot because the keeper came off his line before the shot two times - and both shots were terrible. It almost seemed like a Monty Python skit.

Meanwhile in Brazil, the Argentinian players left the pitch after security attacked the Argy fans with batons. Crazy night.

I’ll find the video clip, but the Mex-Hon ending was crazy. A Mexican player got to take two extra tries from the penalty spot because the keeper came off his line before the shot two times - and both shots were terrible. It almost seemed like a Monty Python skit.

Meanwhile in Brazil, the Argentinian players left the pitch after security attacked the Argy fans with batons. Crazy night.
Though I was obviously rooting against Mexico, both calls were the right call I thought. It was hard to root for Honduras though. The last 40 minutes were the master class in everything I hate about Concacaf…diving, faking injuries, pushing/shoving after every whistle, ugly tackles, etc. The reason the second half made it to 90+11 was the brutal stalling by Honduras.

Won’t be a great game, at least skill-wise. Probably all MLS guys, few if any starters. But might be good for spotting up and coming players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT