ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What Were Some of Your Favorite Skits/Characters on the David Letterman Show?

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
I'll start.

--Larry "Bud" Melman.

--Stupid Human Tricks, especially when someone wore a suit of Velcro and jumped onto a backdrop of Velcro.

Whatchya got?

Reactions: Section124
I never liked him and rarely watched him
I saw no skits but I did see a very interesting "man on the street" interview,
Letterman went out and asked people what they thought of an earthquake the day before
People gave some very exciting and detailed recollections.
The problem is that there never was an earthquake and some people just lied their butts off- and were VERY good at it

• Haha
Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Huge fan since the early years. Stupid human/pet tricks, top ten lists, Larry "Bud" Melman, dropping stuff off the roof, throwing pencils at the NYC skyline (with broken glass sound effects), Chris Elliot, his countless on the street interviews/encounters, manning the drive-thru, and, of course, the hilarity that ensued any time Bill Murray was on. He was a helluvan interviewer, straight up, but he also had on some of the whackiest, funniest guests.

Didn't he have a reoccurring skit where he sexually harrashed female staff? 😉

Last edited:
Never watched his late night show, watched early in his career when he was on daytime.

Rich Hall - Pitkinville, MT segment ("The Pitkinville Horror") was the skit I remember.

Reactions: MURF87
Chris Elliot’s Conspiracy Guy was pretty good.

The “Late Night Tiger Cam” where Paul was mauled got a chuckle out of me.

One of the nice ones was when he had the girl from the building across the way on over and over again to help pay for her wedding or just give her a nice financial gift.

Since she was on camera SAG rules stipulated she had to be compensated.

And his videos with his mom were always fun…”Hi, David!” Makes me smile as I can hear her voice.🙂

Reactions: Scarlet83
Early Letterman was must see TV as a teenager - it was always exciting when I got to stay up late so I could watch.

Lots of great bits over the years, but to me the two standouts are were (1) any appearance by Norm Macdonald, but particularly the one right after he was fired from SNL ...

... and (2) the only time I can ever remember someone making him speechless was when he had Belinda Carlisle on after she left the Go-Gos. He was smitten; he just kept saying "you really look great" over and over ...

rocksngarbage_6058997713361380.gif

Years later meet one of the kids. Nice guy, very successful in a career that had nothing to do with show biz.

Early Letterman was must see TV as a teenager - it was always exciting when I got to stay up late so I could watch.

Lots of great bits over the years, but to me the two standouts are were (1) any appearance by Norm Macdonald, but particularly the one right after he was fired from SNL ...

... and (2) the only time I can ever remember someone making him speechless was when he had Belinda Carlisle on after she left the Go-Gos. He was smitten; he just kept saying "you really look great" over and over ...

The Belinda Carlisle interview was so “cringe” I got a foot cramp.

He could be tough on his guests, especially if they seemed only interested in promoting something (most are, but some are just too over the top), but he also had an everyman humanity that came through at times, especially in his post 9/11 show, as he was the first late night talk show host to come back on the air (according to the 1st link, everyone was waiting to see what Dave would say first, especially since his show was in NYC) and he handled it perfectly. No monologue, no jokes, just a guy who worked in the City like so many others, but also happened to have a TV show and shared his thoughts on the horrors and the heroes of that day. I'll always remember that. The videos of that show have all been taken down, which is a shame, but the 2nd link has a transcript of Dave's monologue.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/n...0210910-m5zticp7yza6xfwk3dfsdbvnhu-story.html

who happened to have a TV show, but

Will it float?

My fave stupid human trick was the guy who got changed inside a washing machine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I never met Pee Wee Herman but his family was local.
His father fought for the British AF in WWII before the US entered.
Then he fought for the US in WWII
Then he was a founder of the Israeli AF.

He could be tough on his guests, especially if they seemed only interested in promoting something (most are, but some are just too over the top), but he also had an everyman humanity that came through at times, especially in his post 9/11 show, as he was the first late night talk show host to come back on the air (according to the 1st link, everyone was waiting to see what Dave would say first, especially since his show was in NYC) and he handled it perfectly. No monologue, no jokes, just a guy who worked in the City like so many others, but also happened to have a TV show and shared his thoughts on the horrors and the heroes of that day. I'll always remember that. The videos of that show have all been taken down, which is a shame, but the 2nd link has a transcript of Dave's monologue.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/n...0210910-m5zticp7yza6xfwk3dfsdbvnhu-story.html

who happened to have a TV show, but
Bad link on that second one.🤷‍♂️

You guys already mentioned most of my favs…I used to stay at a small hotel just around the corner from the studio. Seen him 2-3 times just getting out of his limo and into the building but always tried to hang around the area when they were shooting.
But he was must see TV.

Flunky, The Depressed Clown was a great comedy concept.
(Yeah right.)

That sketch always reminded me of the clown in "the groove tube" that came out in 1974(Shapiro).

Love the interactions between Paul Shaffer, and Dave even when stilted ...helped develop Paul's Mr Showbiz persona .

Loved Schaffer / band playing playing rock 'n' roll - we pick them over any of the groups from roots, Colbert, or Cleto and the Cleetones .

Drew Barrymore was always a good guest for Dave as well.

Mo

That sketch always reminded me of the clown in "the groove tube" that came out in 1974(Shapiro).

Love the interactions between Paul Shaffer, and Dave even when stilted ...helped develop Paul's Mr Showbiz persona .

Loved Schaffer / band playing playing rock 'n' roll - we pick them over any of the groups from roots, Colbert, or Cleto and the Cleetones .

Drew Barrymore was always a good guest for Dave as well.

Mo
Drew is one of the nicest and funniest people you would ever meet in person…
Humble and sexy too…Well, at least in the early 2000’s, she was. Much hotter in person than on the screen.

Drew is one of the nicest and funniest people you would ever meet in person…
Humble and sexy too…Well, at least in the early 2000’s, she was. Much hotter in person than on the screen.
I met her step mom? Nina Wayne in the mid 90's (Carol's sister). She mentioned that her daughter was Drew Barrymore's half sister.

Also said that she / John Barrymore were instrumental in putting on Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.

She was pretty hot too.

MO

I met her step mom? Nina Wayne in the mid 90's (Carol's sister). She mentioned that her daughter was Drew Barrymore's half sister.

Also said that she / John Barrymore were instrumental in putting on Monterey Pop Festival in 1967.

She was pretty hot too.

MO
I wouldn’t doubt it. I knew Drew back in 2002 just before she married Tom Green. She really couldn’t stand him at that point but felt there was no turning back.
I never laughed as hard as I have with her. Cursed like a drunken sailer too

I wouldn’t doubt it. I knew Drew back in 2002 just before she married Tom Green. She really couldn’t stand him at that point but felt there was no turning back.
I never laughed as hard as I have with her. Cursed like a drunken sailer too
She should have had the proceedings " Pre Annulled" ...this would have garnered news interest. LOL

MO

She should have had the proceedings " Pre Annulled" ...this would have garnered news interest. LOL

MO
I think she wanted to try to make it work but he was just too much.
She just wanted a few moments of normalcy and outside the fame. I never saw her again after they got married. Plus, I just happened to meet someone so much hotter…(just in case @RutgersRaRa lets anything slip) lol
Though, my wife knows everything pre “us” and I think I know most of her “pre” lol

She just wanted a few moments of normalcy and outside the fame. I never saw her again after they got married. Plus, I just happened to meet someone so much hotter…(just in case @RutgersRaRa lets anything slip) lol
Though, my wife knows everything pre “us” and I think I know most of her “pre” lol
Best you leave the "Pre-uses" alone ! I'm an expert in the marital arts....been married 3 times (all time record, 0-2-1 twice to the same woman) and living with my gf friend from Rutgers days, for the past 11+ years.

We should chat sometime / trade stories: there's a story somewhere buried in this banter! lol

MO

Best you leave the "Pre-uses" alone ! I'm an expert in the marital arts....been married 3 times (all time record, 0-2-1 twice to the same woman) and living with my gf friend from Rutgers days, for the past 11+ years.

We should chat sometime / trade stories: there's a story somewhere buried in this banter! lol

MO
The good thing is me and the Mrs met in our 40's and both had kids- there are no worries with anyone before we met. Heck, she has met a few of my ex's as I have hers. There is a lot of story behind it all.
One thing I can tell you- @RutgersRaRa he knows how me and the wife are. She is the strongest, most original person you may ever have the pleasure to meet.
And there is no hiding anything from her- she knows it before you even thought about it...

And she liked Letterman too- but Mr Letterman never could have handled her. lol

Let it be known this day that I the person known as RutgersRaRa can totally corroborate the person known as yesrutgers01 in his assertion of increasing hotness of said female and wife, who inspires equal parts admiration and fear in those who don't know her. Those who do know her, well, nothing really changes, but still, yesrutgers01 is a magnet for hotness. I rest my case, filed in Jamaican court. :-)

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Huge fan since the early years. Stupid human/pet tricks, top ten lists, Larry "Bud" Melman, dropping stuff off the roof, throwing pencils at the NYC skyline (with broken glass sound effects), Chris Elliot, his countless on the street interviews/encounters, manning the drive-thru, and, of course, the hilarity that ensued any time Bill Murray was on. He was a helluvan interviewer, straight up, but he also had on some of the whackiest, funniest guests.
Manning the drive thru was great. Also watermelons off th the roof

Reactions: RU848789
Let it be known this day that I the person known as RutgersRaRa can totally corroborate the person known as yesrutgers01 in his assertion of increasing hotness of said female and wife, who inspires equal parts admiration and fear in those who don't know her. Those who do know her, well, nothing really changes, but still, yesrutgers01 is a magnet for hotness. I rest my case, filed in Jamaican court. :-)
Love you brother - you have earned her total love and respect from day one.

All true and nothing equates fear more than a first date warning that shall always stick with someone "Let me tell you, I can always stay away longer than you"

Or, as a kid- an 8 y/o girl in Jamaica, her grandmother made her sleep with a bunch of cats and kittens- and she was told that during sleep, they can suck your soul from your breath- so- what does said little girl do- take those cats to the roof of the house and drop each one 8 times. She didn't want to be responsible for their death but her warning to them is that she only left them with 1 life.

That is my wife- and it comes in a package of 5ft9, 125lbs of pure innocent beauty lol

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT