ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where do you work & What do you do?

Correct. Arkansas game. I was almost - almost - successful in stealing her away, smitten as she was with my obvious wit, charm and fried chicken.

If your wit, charm and friend chicken were not enough to pry her away from his off-topic, intrusively interrogative conversational style, then perhaps you were more successful than you know. Or to put it more succinctly, she probably would've made the jump if offered London broil instead.

If your wit, charm and friend chicken were not enough to pry her away from his off-topic, intrusively interrogative conversational style, then perhaps you were more successful than you know. Or to put it more succinctly, she probably would've made the jump if offered London broil instead.

In all candor, I was doing quite well. Right up to the point where she asked me, "Where do you work and what do you do?" I strayed badly off-topic and she lost interest...

Engineer at a large, but pretty much unknown defense contractor. Military com systems.

Pffft.

I'm not buying it. How many stories could possibly be exchanged in the course of your 5 minute fly-by, orchestrated specifically to parade the Strumpet of the Week?
RaRa's my name, tea and strumpets is my game...

really? I didn't even look at the thread. and if that was his comment you KNOW he's lying.
He even edited out the part that the FBI--I mean, the disciplinarian--is still investigating. The Incident involved fire extinguishers in the food, but that's all we know so far.

In all candor, I was doing quite well. Right up to the point where she asked me, "Where do you work and what do you do?" I strayed badly off-topic and she lost interest...
Yep, that was your mistake. Who can compete with RaRa when it comes to off-topic-ness? He's, like, a demigod of off-topic-ness.

Yep, that was your mistake. Who can compete with RaRa when it comes to off-topic-ness? He's, like, a demigod of off-topic-ness.
sally-field-oscar-speech-o.gif

I work in an ad/marketing agency. I approve decisions, I don't make them.

self-employed writer.

I launched a digital magazine called New Jersey Stage that covers arts & entertainment last year (www.NJArtsMag.com)
Dude, I clicked on the link and what you are doing is pretty darn impressive. There is a lot of work that goes into the magazine. Do you publish every month, quarterly, etc.? How are things going with revenue? I love it when people take on this kind of work, and hope you succeed.

Thanks. I've had about 15 years of publishing experience in print, but this was my first jump into a pure digital magazine. As a guy that's covered music for years, I can't even fathom writing for print again. I love being able to include the music and videos directly into the magazine so people can actually hear the bands being written about.

The mag is published every month. Revenue is going well, but the ads are sold dirt cheap because:

a) it's digital and competing with online banner ads in people's minds
b) it's digital and there are few, if any, true examples of what a digital mag is so I have to sell the ads cheap right now until people understand it better.

When people hear the words "digital magazine" they generally think of a print magazine that has an online PDF -- sometimes the PDF is interactive, sometimes not. A true digital magazine is built for digital from the get go, which means it is 100% interactive and basically combines the power of the Internet with the design of a magazine.

Hey Okie, you ever run across an intro SAS book by Cody and Smith? Cody has written a bunch of SAS books. (I'm Smith)
I have an old SAS book from the mid-80s buried in the attic somewhere, from when I took a stats course one summer at RU as a senior, I think. Might that have been yours? A quick Google search didn't say when the first edition came out. Now everyone where I work uses Minitab for statistical analysis/charting. We do a ton of design of experimental work in the lab, where we initially do probabilitistic risk assessments to guide the selection of the design space and then we run the experiments suggested by Design Expert and analyze the results using Minitab.

Thanks. I've had about 15 years of publishing experience in print, but this was my first jump into a pure digital magazine. As a guy that's covered music for years, I can't even fathom writing for print again. I love being able to include the music and videos directly into the magazine so people can actually hear the bands being written about.

The mag is published every month. Revenue is going well, but the ads are sold dirt cheap because:

a) it's digital and competing with online banner ads in people's minds
b) it's digital and there are few, if any, true examples of what a digital mag is so I have to sell the ads cheap right now until people understand it better.

When people hear the words "digital magazine" they generally think of a print magazine that has an online PDF -- sometimes the PDF is interactive, sometimes not. A true digital magazine is built for digital from the get go, which means it is 100% interactive and basically combines the power of the Internet with the design of a magazine.
Who did you cover music for?

Sorry if this has already been a post in the past, but I was curious as to what all of us do for work and which companies we're all with. Since we're all well-educated ;), I'm guessing a bunch of us do some really intresting things.

Now MIT (Manager in Training for Taco Bell as well as on waiting list for Social Worker...specializing in senior adoptions.

MO

He even edited out the part that the FBI--I mean, the disciplinarian--is still investigating. The Incident involved fire extinguishers in the food, but that's all we know so far.

the only person I know that had fire extinguishers and food involvement was 4Real that last tailgate in the yellow lot. MrScrew's food stories only involveTaco Bell.

Sorry if this has already been a post in the past, but I was curious as to what all of us do for work and which companies we're all with. Since we're all well-educated ;), I'm guessing a bunch of us do some really intresting things.
Own two businesses. Solar and knee rehab.

I have an old SAS book from the mid-80s buried in the attic somewhere, from when I took a stats course one summer at RU as a senior, I think. Might that have been yours? A quick Google search didn't say when the first edition came out. Now everyone where I work uses Minitab for statistical analysis/charting. We do a ton of design of experimental work in the lab, where we initially do probabilitistic risk assessments to guide the selection of the design space and then we run the experiments suggested by Design Expert and analyze the results using Minitab.

If it was from the mid-eighties it could well have been our first edition (came out in 85). Hardly anybody else was doing third party instructional books on computer programs back then. We've had four more editions of that text since then. And the funny thing is, I don't use SAS either! I did back then, but I shifted to SPSS, which becomes more of a pain in the rear to use every year. My son uses R and keeps trying to get me to try it. He's really good at setting up experiments to run on computers, and human computer interaction research (PhD from Maryland in that). But I'm too old to be learning new computer languages!

the only person I know that had fire extinguishers and food involvement was 4Real that last tailgate in the yellow lot. MrScrew's food stories only involveTaco Bell.
I think I speak for all of us when I say, you owe us an apology for writing this.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, you owe us an apology for writing this.

Future tailgates will include MrScrew tied to a folding chair (the old-fashioned kind), holding a footlong Subway with a suitably derogatory sign hung from his neck.

After minimal thought, it seems obvious that the aforementioned sign shall read: I Bite

To clear the reality of it all it's Mr. Screw that loves Taco Bell

a new Taco Bell opened less than a quarter mile away. they already know him on a first name basis and say hello as he drives through with his order. sigh.

self-employed writer.

I launched a digital magazine called New Jersey Stage that covers arts & entertainment last year (www.NJArtsMag.com)

Dude, I clicked on the link and what you are doing is pretty darn impressive. There is a lot of work that goes into the magazine. Do you publish every month, quarterly, etc.? How are things going with revenue? I love it when people take on this kind of work, and hope you succeed.

Completely agree. As you may recall, we/ve chatted on here and by email a few times about music, the Melody, etc. I also used to pick up Upstage frequently to peruse the articles and concert schedules. I had no idea, though, that you had started back up with a digital version last year. I still try to keep up with new music and seeing bands and I occasionally do searches to try to find better concert calendars for NJ and somehow never came across your site - your listings are way better than what I've seen elsewhere.

I also noodled around and was very impressed with the content across a nice variety of the arts. One question: I didn't notice any links to Facebook on your site, which is odd as I was able to find your FB site (I just shared it and I post a lot about music and have quite a few friends who I'm sure will be interested) - did I just miss it? Seems like you'd want to have a FB link more prominently displayed. Anyway, great stuff and good luck with the business.

I also noodled around and was very impressed with the content across a nice variety of the arts. One question: I didn't notice any links to Facebook on your site, which is odd as I was able to find your FB site (I just shared it and I post a lot about music and have quite a few friends who I'm sure will be interested) - did I just miss it? Seems like you'd want to have a FB link more prominently displayed. Anyway, great stuff and good luck with the business.

Glad you remember Upstage. I've actually had quite a few advertisers come on board because of that old paper -- even in areas of the state we never delivered to. Thankfully the Arts Council Marketing Groups all met in Trenton and New Brunswick and used to pick it up there.

As for Facebook, there are a few links but we should add more. We used to have the social media links at the top of the website but moved them when we increased the size of that top banner. I'll get them back into view today... thanks for the reminder.

After 30 years as an Executive in the Mortgage Banking business I made the leap into the Craft Beer industry. Should have done this 10 years ago.

You happen to be in Middlesex ? Just read about a similar story where a guy got layed off from his "desk job" and opened a microbrewery in Middlesex. A bar in Dunellen has his beer on tap. An 8 percent ABV IPA.

You happen to be in Middlesex ? Just read about a similar story where a guy got layed off from his "desk job" and opened a microbrewery in Middlesex. A bar in Dunellen has his beer on tap. An 8 percent ABV IPA.
No I'm in Bucks County PA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT