ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: If Rutgers added a $10 Facility Fee for RAC Parking, would you pay it

Upstream

Hall of Famer
Jul 31, 2001
without a paddle
If Rutgers added a $10 Facility Fee to RAC Parking (increasing the cost from $10 to $20 per game), would you pay the increased fee, or would you park for free in a more distant "secret" lot. Assume the Facility Fee would be used to help pay for a practice facility and RAC improvements.

Didn't vote as I haven't attended a game in years.

So you're asking people to pay $160 extra for the season. At that point, you're better off (at least initially) soliciting $200 donations from everyone, which qualifies them for a special tag that gets them a reduced parking rate (the original $10). More money in RU's pocket, and less money out of the fan's pocket when factoring in the deduction.

Anyone have an idea on our average parking sales to see how much cash that throws off annually?

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:
This thread is meant to be amusing, right?
No, it is meant to get a feel for whether fans on this board are willing to pay a nominal fee to help fund the basketball facility improvements that we need. I would figure that people who post on this board have some interest in Rutgers Basketball and probably want to see the program get the tools it needs to succeed. But that doesn't mean they are willing to pay for it. A nominal $10 parking fee (when free parking alternatives in "secret" lots are fairly well known) seems like a good proxy to see if fans here are willing to pay for facility improvements.

I clicked 1 but I would rather increase my giving by $200 to get the charitable deduction credit.

There is a reason places that could demand much higher ticket prices don't, but have substantially larger contribution requirements than we do.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:
This thread is meant to be amusing, right?
There are many ways to skin a cat. Generating an incremental $250K per year is one of them.

If we want to increase the expenses of the program we have to make some attempt to match some of those expenses in Year 1 with added revenue.

I do fear an added amount on parking would put too much of a burden on a portion of our fans. I'd rather see Scarlet and Green Lot take the hit and leave the Yellow lot be.

Originally posted by srru86:
I clicked 1 but I would rather increase my giving by $200 to get the charitable deduction credit.

There is a reason places that could demand much higher ticket prices don't, but have substantially larger contribution requirements than we do.
this

Drive up, pay $20 to park, then buy a decent ticket outside for $5. Sounds about right. $$$$

I would throw $200 for a facility fee, but only if they show me what my $200 will pay for. There are no plans, no pictures not even a thought of if we get X amount that X amout would get this. I simply don't trust them to use the money for something that I would enjoy.

This thread is absurd. Rutgers hoops problems won't be fixed by charging the fans more. They are already doing their part over a more than a generation of putrid basketball and abysmal management of the program. It's time for a deep-pocketed alum to step to the plate, or the Rutgers Athletics Dept to find new sponsorship and/or revenues. Or play as an independent team with a more manageable schedule outside the Big Ten until we are full financial members.

based on my calculations this may raise 500k a year. While this will help I don't think it would do more then offset expenses.

If hoops is in the red then maybe they should do this to make it profitable.

Maybe across the board they should charge $20 for parking at all non-revenue sporting home games. Since the parking authority will typically ticket vehicles parked illegally you can identify the right lots and charge.

Everything from hoops to soccer to lacrosse to wrestling to gymnastics to soccer to field hockey. This probably can raise an extra $1 mil a year towards travel while also balancing the budgets.

$41 a ticket
$10 parking per game for scarlet
$500 seat donation

All to watch a state school in one of the most talent saturated areas in the country put this product on the floor.

They should be thinking of ways to pay back the fans, not take more money.

Add it as an option to all sporting tickets. Perhaps when renewing football tickets (or basketball, women's basketball, lacrosse, etc) you have the option of increasing the seat fee by $X and in return you get some multiplier for your priority points.

It won't build the center but will help get some chunks in the account while we try and get the rest.

Originally posted by bscharf:
$41 a ticket
$10 parking per game for scarlet
$500 seat donation

All to watch a state school in one of the most talent saturated areas in the country put this product on the floor.

They should be thinking of ways to pay back the fans, not take more money.
It is 2015. College basketball has changed. Everyone wants success and a practice facility yet aren't willing to pay what fans at other schools are willing to pay. The end user should foot the bill here.

I think it is silly that we are the point where it costs so much to keep the lights on and you have to have these facilities just to enter a level playing field. In the end it we pay for it and/or real college students don't get facilities they deserve based on their tuition. In the end these facilities further the notion that the student athletes are better than everyone else and deserve and are entiltled to more. Not blaming the Louisville situation on their practice facility, but....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT