ADVERTISEMENT

PSU game parking?

Been a looong time since I’ve been there. My experience was that many people, including gray haired women, were overjoyed to tell me that Rutgers f’n sucks and that I do as well.
Aside from that I actually did run into some friendly people tailgating. And had a good time at the brewpub.

Been a looong time since I’ve been there. My experience was that many people, including gray haired women, were overjoyed to tell me that Rutgers f’n sucks and that I do as well.
Aside from that I actually did run into some friendly people tailgating. And had a good time at the brewpub.
F them, their cult, their team and their coach. Would not drop a dime that would go to their program. Besides that, not up for a traffic nightmare.

Funny statement about the team being broken. Our board guys had the PSU guy on their podcast, and the PSU guy said that the knock on the offense is Allar always hits is check downs and never goes deep when there is a deep receiver that is open. But the PSU guy also seemed to indicate the PSU receiving corps was subpar this year. Sounds very similar to RU fan complaints about our offense-laying most of the blame on our QB.

In the end, the average prediction from the writers on RU/PSU side was 31-10/31-7 PSU. I'm usually Mr Scarlet glasses, but fully expecting 35-0 PSU.

One other thing. After going to our Wisconsin game at Camp Randall, I don't think our fans fully appreciate how nice and wide our seats are. At Camp Randall, we felt like sardines packed in a sardine can.

Hope the game is closer than the predictions. Last year second half was a horror movie.
Yes. All the great receivers are at Ohio State.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I've been three times
Leaving at 6 from Metuchen is way too late for a noon game
Don't leave later than 5, and even then, getting there by 9 would be good timing

G Spot night before was fun
Fans are into it, large stadium, great tailgating, super cold

Last time was 20 years ago when LJ broke 2k against MSU right in front of us right before halftime. Left immediately after as it was freezing

No desire to go back since the Joe Pa scandal and subsequent shrine to him
If the Noles get into the B1G, it's a possibility if early in the season and not cold

Overall, stadium is impressive though erector set like (bigger version of SHI) and can be seen for miles away - lit up at night is impressive

Reactions: Queztastic
We were thinking of leaving around 6:30 am, which, on a normal day would get us to PSU by 10:00 am (233 miles all on the highway shouldn't be much more than 3 hours if traffic is reasonable). Don't know traffic issues well enough to know how early one should get to State College to not hit bad traffic (I was expecting some delays, but not crazy delays, but maybe that's a flawed assumption). When was the last time you went to a game at PSU and do you recall travel time/departure time?
I would give yourself extra time. Traffic flows well but one accident can make the delays hour plus. If you are coming in on I80 from northern NJ I would give yourself even more time. It you are coming in via I78/322 traffic will be not as bad but still give yourself an extra hour.

First trip to PSU, oddly enough. Going with a friend who has been there a couple of times, but with PSU folks (his daughter went there and married a fellow PSU grad, so my friend hates going to games there with them, lol). Looking at the map, was thinking the Nittany lot might be a good choice as it's about a mile from the stadium (don't mind the walk) and on the edge of campus so was hoping that might be easier in/out than closer lots. We're just driving in, going to the game and driving out, so no need to be somewhere closer. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
I am not 100% sure that they still let gameday parking in the Nittany Deck but it used to be $40 cash. You can pick up a free bus there that runs a loop through town and will drop you off near the stadium.

If you are not tailgating a great option is the CATA shuttle. You don't have to sit in traffic near the stadium and is free parking. You can park at either the Hills Plaza or Easterly Parkway Elementary School for free. It is $2.20 per person each way (exact change required) and props you 200 yards from the stadium. I attend with my elderly father and we been taking the bus for years. Super efficient way to get in and out.

Screen-Shot-2023-08-02-at-10.45.22-AM.png

I am not 100% sure that they still let gameday parking in the Nittany Deck but it used to be $40 cash. You can pick up a free bus there that runs a loop through town and will drop you off near the stadium.

If you are not tailgating a great option is the CATA shuttle. You don't have to sit in traffic near the stadium and is free parking. You can park at either the Hills Plaza or Easterly Parkway Elementary School for free. It is $2.20 per person each way (exact change required) and props you 200 yards from the stadium. I attend with my elderly father and we been taking the bus for years. Super efficient way to get in and out.

Screen-Shot-2023-08-02-at-10.45.22-AM.png
And it's "only" a 2.0 mile walk from the Elementary School to the Stadium, for the more spry fans. That's not a bad walk on fall day in good weather. 30 mins of some light cardio.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
And it's "only" a 2.0 mile walk from the Elementary School to the Stadium, for the more spry fans. That's not a bad walk on fall day in good weather. 30 mins of some light cardio.
Definitely walkable and less than a mile from the downtown area with all the bars and restaurants if you want to walk downtown to grab a bite to eat and then walk back to the school.

you're gonna need a parking pass where ever you park. it's annoyingly expensive, but you can buy a parking pass on Seat Geek (link below). if you can find it somewhere else that's cheaper, great. but to be clear, without a parking pass, you'll be spending valuable time parking at some random location several miles away. it's not worth it.

parking passes

the team is fairly broken right now, so you might actually witness something crazy happen.

have fun
Yes, I thought all the official lots you needed a pre-paid pass?
I always buy one from PSU as soon as single game tickets go on sale.
Last time I looked, which was a while ago, the cheapest option was some of the outlying malls let you park and take a shuttle.
Public trans shuttle and another shuttle
Probably the secondary market best bet assuming they do e-passes?
Their athletics department snail mails me a hard copy pass.

We went up about 5 or 6 years ago and I have to admit the experience of being in a stadium with that many people was impressive. We were parked about 20 yards from the stadium so that was nice. I thought majority of the fans were fine but the shrine was a little creepy. People stopping and lighting candles, talking in whispers, solemn stares... very odd.
Seating was horrific as you are crammed in like sardines and it was a hot day so for me, not worth going back anytime soon. Traffic leaving was as expected, brutal, but luckily we were staying at my cousins house in State College so we ended up walking back to her house which was faster than driving.

We went up about 5 or 6 years ago and I have to admit the experience of being in a stadium with that many people was impressive. We were parked about 20 yards from the stadium so that was nice. I thought majority of the fans were fine but the shrine was a little creepy. People stopping and lighting candles, talking in whispers, solemn stares... very odd.
Seating was horrific as you are crammed in like sardines and it was a hot day so for me, not worth going back anytime soon. Traffic leaving was as expected, brutal, but luckily we were staying at my cousins house in State College so we ended up walking back to her house which was faster than driving.
This may be the biggest impediment. Wondering for folks who have also been to Camp Randall, how it compares? Because we thought Camp Randall was ridiculously tight on seating. Getting out of your seat to go to concessions or the bathroom was challenging.

Yes, I thought all the official lots you needed a pre-paid pass?
I always buy one from PSU as soon as single game tickets go on sale.
Last time I looked, which was a while ago, the cheapest option was some of the outlying malls let you park and take a shuttle.
Public trans shuttle and another shuttle
Probably the secondary market best bet assuming they do e-passes?
Their athletics department snail mails me a hard copy pass.
Typically you will find scalpers selling passes on the road as you get closer to the stadium. If you want to park in a tailgating lot at this point that would be your best bet.

This may be the biggest impediment. Wondering for folks who have also been to Camp Randall, how it compares? Because we thought Camp Randall was ridiculously tight on seating. Getting out of your seat to go to concessions or the bathroom was challenging.
Never been to Camp Randall but the seats are tight. The concessions and restrooms are terrible. Why it a great atmosphere, the stadium and facilities are a dump. It a high school stadium on steroids is the best way to describe it. This game there will be empty seats so it won't be unbearable but if you want food plan to go before the game because in game there will be long lines.

Never been to Camp Randall but the seats are tight. The concessions and restrooms are terrible. Why it a great atmosphere, the stadium and facilities are a dump. It a high school stadium on steroids is the best way to describe it. This game there will be empty seats so it won't be unbearable but if you want food plan to go before the game because in game there will be long lines.
Do PSU fans complain on the forums about these things as much or more than fans here? Just wondering.

And is the student section 100% full at kickoff, or does it fill in mid to late 1st Quarter?

Do PSU fans complain on the forums about these things as much or more than fans here? Just wondering.

And is the student section 100% full at kickoff, or does it fill in mid to late 1st Quarter?
The diehards on the message board don't complain because most will be tailgating by 7 am and not deal with traffic or getting food in the stadium. The casual fans will complain about it but the majority of message board folks say they don't need all the bell and whistles in the stadium.

if it was Michigan or Ohio state it would be filled for a noon kick. Anyone else it will be 2/3 third full by kickoff. For this game I will be surprised if it much more that half the entire game. First of all the wind is out of the sails after the Michigan loss. The biggest reason though is students are off all next week. Many students will skip out of town tonight. They keep dorms and cafeterias open until tomorrow but most will have already gone home.

PSU is tight also.

For folks that are used to the spacious seating that is RU/SHI Stadium (not being ironic) I think basically all the other B1G Stadiums are quite tight. The only one I haven't been to is West Lafayette. The only relief is a place like NW's Ryan field, but that is just because there are plenty of empties and you can spread-out.

Back when we did the stadium expansion I asked someone I knew in Athletics Facilities I they were changing the searing width. He said no but if they used the dimensions that some of the others have the place would instantly gain thousands of seats.

The diehards on the message board don't complain because most will be tailgating by 7 am and not deal with traffic or getting food in the stadium. The casual fans will complain about it but the majority of message board folks say they don't need all the bell and whistles in the stadium.

if it was Michigan or Ohio state it would be filled for a noon kick. Anyone else it will be 2/3 third full by kickoff. For this game I will be surprised if it much more that half the entire game. First of all the wind is out of the sails after the Michigan loss. The biggest reason though is students are off all next week. Many students will skip out of town tonight. They keep dorms and cafeterias open until tomorrow but most will have already gone home.

thats what i found most impressive for the game we attended was that it was full with 100K fans at kickoff, but it was the year we played PSU in September so I guess that makes a difference

First trip to PSU, oddly enough. Going with a friend who has been there a couple of times, but with PSU folks (his daughter went there and married a fellow PSU grad, so my friend hates going to games there with them, lol). Looking at the map, was thinking the Nittany lot might be a good choice as it's about a mile from the stadium (don't mind the walk) and on the edge of campus so was hoping that might be easier in/out than closer lots. We're just driving in, going to the game and driving out, so no need to be somewhere closer. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
Been there a couple times, the easiest in and out is on the south east side of the stadium as close to university Dr. as possible. avoid parking on the north side of the stadium, we did that in 2015 and sat there for 90 minutes, went back in 2019 parked on the south side and was out in 20 min

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
Dropping in to offer some advice. First, I have attended almost all PSU home games for the last 30 years, most of them driving from the Lehigh Valley. I could count on one hand the number of times it's taken me more than an extra half hour to get parked. Most games, maybe account for an extra 15-20 minutes. Can there be accidents? Sure. It happens.Getting out, depending on your lot, it can take longer. I expect this game to be lightly attended.

Coming in I80, you will get traffic getting off the exit to 99. I80 backs up for 5 minutes or so (usually a scalper off this exit selling parking passes). Then you will get traffic again when you get off I99, again depending on your zone. I park in the NORTH zone and rarely have problems getting in and out. 5 minute walk to the stadim. The parking decks (Nittany Deck mentioned by the OP) have been known to sell out as well.

If you have a prepaid pass, you will have a zone (N,S,E,W) follow the posted directions (also on the back of the pass) to that zone and lot #. It is fairly well planned out. EXCEPT FOR BELOW, you cannot park in the numbered lots without a prepaid pass for that specific lot.

From the PSU website:

Day of Game Parking Sale Information:
  • For day of game parking passes, follow the E Zone signage until you get to Park Ave., then follow signage for day of game parking sales at Lot 25 or Lot 36.
  • The day of game parking pass sale location is in Lot 25 or Lot 36.
  • Patrons will buy their parking pass by cash or card at Lot 25 or Lot 36.
The seats are small. Never been to Madison, but Beaver seats are wider than Michigan. You will be able to spread out though. It will be empty.

Good info below.

https://gopsusports.com/sports/2020/5/21/football-game-day-fan-guide-going-to-the-game#parking

Last edited:
Dropping in to offer some advice. First, I have attended almost all PSU home games for the last 30 years, most of them driving from the Lehigh Valley. I could count on one hand the number of times it's taken me more than an extra half hour to get parked. Most games, maybe account for an extra 15-20 minutes. Can there be accidents? Sure. It happens.Getting out, depending on your lot, it can take longer. I expect this game to be lightly attended.

Coming in I80, you will get traffic getting off the exit to 99. I80 backs up for 5 minutes or so (usually a scalper off this exit selling parking passes). Then you will get traffic again when you get off I99, again depending on your zone. I park in the NORTH zone and rarely have problems getting in and out. 5 minute walk to the stadim. The parking decks (Nittany Deck mentioned by the OP) have been known to sell out as well.

If you have a prepaid pass, you will have a zone (N,S,E,W) follow the posted directions (also on the back of the pass) to that zone and lot #. It is fairly well planned out. EXCEPT FOR BELOW, you cannot park in the numbered lots without a prepaid pass for that specific lot.

From the PSU website:

Day of Game Parking Sale Information:
  • For day of game parking passes, follow the E Zone signage until you get to Park Ave., then follow signage for day of game parking sales at Lot 25 or Lot 36.
  • The day of game parking pass sale location is in Lot 25 or Lot 36.
  • Patrons will buy their parking pass by cash or card at Lot 25 or Lot 36.
The seats are small. Never been to Madison, but Beaver seats are wider than Michigan. You will be able to spread out though. It will be empty.

Good info below.

https://gopsusports.com/sports/2020/5/21/football-game-day-fan-guide-going-to-the-game#parking
Thanks. I've been thinking that getting within 10-20 miles of campus by 9 am (by leaving Hillsborough, where my friend lives, at 6 am and taking 78/81/322) should mean that even if traffic is snarled and the last 10-15 miles take an hour, we'll still be fine to get to the stadium in plenty of time, although hopefully with less attendance and probably a later arriving crowd and less students being around (as @PSU_Nut said), perhaps there won't be major tie-ups. And coming in from the SE and getting parking at least a mile south of the stadium (maybe 2 miles) should minimize time sitting in traffic if it's bad (and reduce cost), plus we'll be monitoring traffic, so if we see it's horrible, there are some alternate routes. And if it's Armageddon traffic, we'll watch it in a bar somewhere, lol.

Thanks all for the suggestions...

Wow, do you really think it'll only be a bit more than half full for the whole game? That would be great for less traffic and less crowd noise.

Edit: just noticed that tickets are selling for $5 or less for tomorrow's game, so maybe attendance will be low...(actual attendance, not tix sold).

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate/football/penn-state-football-tickets-nittany-lions-vs-rutgers

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been thinking that getting within 10-20 miles of campus by 9 am (by leaving Hillsborough, where my friend lives, at 6 am and taking 78/81/322) should mean that even if traffic is snarled and the last 10-15 miles take an hour, we'll still be fine to get to the stadium in plenty of time, although hopefully with less attendance and probably a later arriving crowd and less students being around (as @PSU_Nut said), perhaps there won't be major tie-ups. And coming in from the SE and getting parking at least a mile south of the stadium (maybe 2 miles) should minimize time sitting in traffic if it's bad (and reduce cost), plus we'll be monitoring traffic, so if we see it's horrible, there are some alternate routes. And if it's Armageddon traffic, we'll watch it in a bar somewhere, lol.

Thanks all for the suggestions...
Curious, how you getting to 78 from Hillsborough ? And is the Hillsborough Deli open that early ?

you're gonna need a parking pass where ever you park. it's annoyingly expensive, but you can buy a parking pass on Seat Geek (link below). if you can find it somewhere else that's cheaper, great. but to be clear, without a parking pass, you'll be spending valuable time parking at some random location several miles away. it's not worth it.

parking passes

the team is fairly broken right now, so you might actually witness something crazy happen.

have fun
It's so interesting the PSU negativity. As an outsider I see two losses to top 3 teams, 1 by 8 points, the other by 9. Not bad.

Reactions: Kbee3
Yea just wondering bc 206N to 78w seems less direct than 206N to 22W to 78W but what’s a few extra minutes on a 3+ hr ride.

I assume HB is High Bridge ? I often drive HB to Bridgewater and 22 is faster than 78 > 287 even with a few lights around Branchburg.

Yea just wondering bc 206N to 78w seems less direct than 206N to 22W to 78W but what’s a few extra minutes on a 3+ hr ride.

I assume HB is High Bridge ? I often drive HB to Bridgewater and 22 is faster than 78 > 287 even with a few lights around Branchburg.
It is less direct, but it's absolutely faster. If you just look at the 287/78 part vs. the 22 part from roughly Somerville to Clinton, it's about 2 miles longer on 287/78 over about 20 miles vs. 18 miles on 22, but 20 miles at 80 mph is 15 minutes, whereas 18 miles at 60 mph (65-70 mph reduced by hitting at least a couple of lights) is 18 minutes or 3 minutes longer. Have to do the math. Google Maps/Waze closely agrees with this too. There's no way I'd take 287/78 if it took more time (I drive these roads a lot, too).

HB is Hillsborough (probably not the best abbreviation).

Well, maybe going east is faster than going west because 22 is faster for me. Ha ha. Or because I don’t drive 80 on I78

I don't drive 80 on 78 either - more like 90, lol...
I don’t know if you will have the time or if your buddy cares, but before you take off today grab your discs. If the game sucks and ya’ll decide to leave early, Faylor Lake is 25 min to the east of state college and is WORLD CLASS. Think Stafford Woods/Iron Hill level good. Anytime you’re that close to a course like that it’s worth stopping

Left at 6 am and flew, making it in 3 hr 20 min with only a 10 minute slowdown getting into the Nitanny lot which was nearly empty. Had a nice walk around downtown and a great breakfast at Irving's. Not too many RU fans but also only a 60 percent full stadium at 11.44. Go RU!!

Left at 6 am and flew, making it in 3 hr 20 min with only a 10 minute slowdown getting into the Nitanny lot which was nearly empty. Had a nice walk around downtown and a great breakfast at Irving's. Not too many RU fans but also only a 60 percent full stadium at 11.44. Go RU!!
As a a Penn Stater, I hate the home games surrounding Thanksgiving. They are always half empty, low energy. Those in attendance don't get the full experience. Enjoy your day.

Food is not great in stadium. If you need food in the stadium, look for Scott's Roasting near gate E

F the arrogant cult of pedophile denying scumbags.

Reactions: Kbee3

The ride home was just as easy, taking about 3 hours and 40 minutes, including a 15-20 minute stop at Mickey D's. One tidbit: on 78E in NJ we saw a bunch of police lights ahead of us and it turns out it was a convoy of buses being escorted by a host of cop cars - presumably it was the team/supporters. Was also able to get the hoops game on my phone, so my buddy watched and I got to hear it and get a few peeks at some great plays - nice win. Got home as the game ended.

So glad we picked that Nittany Deck - was only $40 for the day and being further away likely saved us a huge amount of time getting in and out, based on looking at our traffic apps at traffic much closer to the stadium before and after the game.

The downtown area was attractive and walking through campus was enjoyable. It's nice having one cohesive campus with everything in one place. Lots of interesting buildings and loads of well designed open space for recreation and just hanging out.

Enjoyable game, which was obviously much closer than the score indicated. Hard to beat more talented, deeper teams when we make more mistakes (penalties and TOs) than the other team. 1 penalty the last two weeks on our opponents is ridiculous though. We're getting closer though.

Not particularly impressed with Beaver Stadium as a stadium - very industrial looking and unattractive, but it is freakin' huge and the crowd, even at 75% full, like today, was pretty impressive. However, a few things they do really well: i) they have far more entrance lines than we do (per ticket holder), so zero wait to get in; ii) one can actually hear what people are saying on their PA system and iii) they have much better on-field camera work for their in-game entertainment (cheerleaders and stuff).

Thought it was interesting that they play nearly all the same DJ songs we do, including Bruce and Bon Jovi, which they shouldn't be allowed to play, lol. And they have canned music about as much as we do, which I'm ok with.

Wasn't heckled once walking around town or in the stadium, although there was one point midway through the 4Q, where a PSU fan was standing by a railing blocking our view and he turned to our area and asked if he was blocking our view and then offhandedly and douchily added, "not that it matters" to which I replied yeah, it matters. Had a few people asking how we liked our experience and if we needed any help, which was nice. A little disappointed more RU fans didn't show up, though.

The ride home was just as easy, taking about 3 hours and 40 minutes, including a 15-20 minute stop at Mickey D's. One tidbit: on 78E in NJ we saw a bunch of police lights ahead of us and it turns out it was a convoy of buses being escorted by a host of cop cars - presumably it was the team/supporters. Was also able to get the hoops game on my phone, so my buddy watched and I got to hear it and get a few peeks at some great plays - nice win. Got home as the game ended.

So glad we picked that Nittany Deck - was only $40 for the day and being further away likely saved us a huge amount of time getting in and out, based on looking at our traffic apps at traffic much closer to the stadium before and after the game.

The downtown area was attractive and walking through campus was enjoyable. It's nice having one cohesive campus with everything in one place. Lots of interesting buildings and loads of well designed open space for recreation and just hanging out.

Enjoyable game, which was obviously much closer than the score indicated. Hard to beat more talented, deeper teams when we make more mistakes (penalties and TOs) than the other team. 1 penalty the last two weeks on our opponents is ridiculous though. We're getting closer though.

Not particularly impressed with Beaver Stadium as a stadium - very industrial looking and unattractive, but it is freakin' huge and the crowd, even at 75% full, like today, was pretty impressive. However, a few things they do really well: i) they have far more entrance lines than we do (per ticket holder), so zero wait to get in; ii) one can actually hear what people are saying on their PA system and iii) they have much better on-field camera work for their in-game entertainment (cheerleaders and stuff).

Thought it was interesting that they play nearly all the same DJ songs we do, including Bruce and Bon Jovi, which they shouldn't be allowed to play, lol. And they have canned music about as much as we do, which I'm ok with.

Wasn't heckled once walking around town or in the stadium, although there was one point midway through the 4Q, where a PSU fan was standing by a railing blocking our view and he turned to our area and asked if he was blocking our view and then offhandedly and douchily added, "not that it matters" to which I replied yeah, it matters. Had a few people asking how we liked our experience and if we needed any help, which was nice. A little disappointed more RU fans didn't show up, though.
As Morrissey sang, hang the DJ. The reason we sound so similar is we have an ex PSU running our game day and frankly I think it sucks. The Oregon State atmosphere last night is the model. Loud and engaged crowd, the band and no piped in crap music. We have lost our identity and have a Walmart generic atmosphere.

As Morrissey sang, hang the DJ. The reason we sound so similar is we have an ex PSU running our game day and frankly I think it sucks. The Oregon State atmosphere last night is the model. Loud and engaged crowd, the band and no piped in crap music. We have lost our identity and have a Walmart generic atmosphere.
Agree
Watching the game on TV, it sounded identical to our athmosphere sans the horn, which isn't surprising b/c we got the old PSU guy to do ours

Generic, constant nonstop music blaring, not nearly enough band playing
It's a theme around college and pro sports that truly is for the birds

Spent $200 and marked next to the West Endzone, as my friend recently had back surgery, and has trouble walking. Picked it up at FedEx.

Was an easy in and easy out, for a price. Seats were in back of the Rutgers Bench. Fans were very polite and Cordial, and really went out of their way to make us feel welcome. After the game, met up with some great Penn State friends of mine for dinner, then headed home. A top notch experience, save for the game result.

Last edited:
Agree
Watching the game on TV, it sounded identical to our athmosphere sans the horn, which isn't surprising b/c we got the old PSU guy to do ours

Generic, constant nonstop music blaring, not nearly enough band playing
It's a theme around college and pro sports that truly is for the birds
Here's a small sample of Oregon State last night. In the words of Pantera, it was Goddamn Electric. All of those people with the orange hardhats and lots of fans with chainsaws. Identity over copying a cult's generic blueprint for mediocrity.

Oh goodness, the LOUD O S U Chant is beautiful.

Here's a small sample of Oregon State last night. In the words of Pantera, it was Goddamn Electric. All of those people with the orange hardhats and lots of fans with chainsaws. Identity over copying a cult's generic blueprint for mediocrity.

The place was rocking
Kudo's to them for stepping up, especially in that weather
True, die hard fans as their core

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT