ADVERTISEMENT

QB Hayden Rettig

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
This video is almost three years old but still worth a look. I have high expectations for Mr. Rettig.

Laviano is the man to beat, you are right. He has NCAA game experience and played pretty good. So Rettig has to win the job outright, not be just as good. There is a lot of incentive for both guys to work hard on their game. We have two good QB's, one on paper and one from on the field in games.

We'll he has the rest of summer and part of fall camp to beat out Laviano.

I wonder if Rutgers is going to have the USC problem. A couple of years ago, Sarkisian just could not decide on starting Kessler or Wittek. He even played a few games where he gave playing time to both players. It may have costed USC a couple games because it may have slowed down Kessler's development, but there's no way to prove or disprove this.

If real game time is the only way to define separation and the coaches want to run a platoon to decide I'm for it. I'll be interested to see Dare in camp. Anyone who can rip holes in gloves with a football has my attention.

If real game time is the only way to define separation and the coaches want to run a platoon to decide I'm for it. I'll be interested to see Dare in camp. Anyone who can rip holes in gloves with a football has my attention.

I assumed that Dare would red shirt. He is 6'5" and might be Rutgers' best QB.

I wonder if Rutgers is going to have the USC problem. A couple of years ago, Sarkisian just could not decide on starting Kessler or Wittek. He even played a few games where he gave playing time to both players. It may have costed USC a couple games because it may have slowed down Kessler's development, but there's no way to prove or disprove this.

After the Nova/Dodd fiasco a couple of years ago, I doubt that this will happen. I think that happened during Schiano's last season On The Banks.

Laviano is the man to beat, you are right. He has NCAA game experience and played pretty good. So Rettig has to win the job outright, not be just as good. There is a lot of incentive for both guys to work hard on their game. We have two good QB's, one on paper and one from on the field in games.
You make it sound like Laviano had significant playing time, started some games and played "lights outs". He barely got on the field and when he did he was just ok as you would expect from a player with limited experience. The QB's were dead even going into the spring. The call will be made on camp performances and height of ceiling.

Laviano's coming in with a bit of an edge just from being the #2 last year. He saw the field a few times during games, he ran all season with the 2nd team offense, had more snaps in practice, etc.
If it's too close to call right now, I'd have to think that Rettig will ultimately pull ahead as he gets more meaningful snaps.

Dare is the real deal but body not ready yet.
If a guy can make the throws and he had the mind I'm not that concerned about a QB'S body. We don't use the QB as a runner. It isn't like a running back or a lineman where they have to physically dominate other people. A QB just needs to mentally dominate.

This is my beef with Flood. He had the opportunity several times to get Laviano real game experience last year, but would only insert him to hand off the ball. Sorry, but someone like me with no QB skills or talent could hand off a ball.

Reactions: MozRU and JQRU91
This is my beef with Flood. He had the opportunity several times to get Laviano real game experience last year, but would only insert him to hand off the ball. Sorry, but someone like me with no QB skills or talent could hand off a ball.

Everyone always has a beef with HCs and QBs....par for the course. Here's a clue...RU is breaking in a new QB this year. It will be a work in progress.

Nova should not have played vs Wisconsin. Gary was limping all over a slick wet field. Nova never threw a pass over 20 yds that game. Laviano could have scrambled under those wet field conditions.

Laviano looks like he has more accuracy at the moment/is more in sync with his receivers. He definitely looks more comfortable.
Rettig definitely has more pop when the throws the ball. Similar to Nova, who had a great arm whatever his other faults, the ball just seems to zip when Rettig throws it, compared to Laviano.

Time will tell.

Well obviously there is plenty of time for things to changes, but Laviano sure seemed to be way more comfortable with the offense and was making accurate throws short, medium, and long distance. The long bomb down the sideline towards the end of the game was beautiful...literally led the WR perfectly. Anyway I am not surprised Flood said Laviano is slightly ahead. It seems like Rettig might need some more time to really learn the offense and the seem of the D1 game before he can shine, but hey it was only one spring game.

Rettig had only 7 passes surprised at that as he needs reps in live action.

Laviano had i believe 3 x more attempts. Perhaps that tells us how flood wants to start the year. Personally never liked dodd coming

Or laviano coming in only to handoff so as not to get them hot and create isdues. Would have liked to see laviano and rettig have similar attempts

I like Rettigs resume but I saw nothing last night that made me think he was anything special(so far)

Exactly. Have to say he didn't show me anything last night... but I think a lot of that was due to him not feeling comfortable back there due to lack of experience and lack of knowledge of the playbook. I think he will continue to get better and better though once he gets a solid grasp on the offense and his role.

I know it's limited action, but Rettig is overwhelmingly underwhelming. He enrolled at RU last year and redshirted. He had a year's access to the Fridge. And now the excuse is he doesn't know tye playbook?? What the hell was he doing all last year? No wonder Les Miles showed him the bench.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Welcome to crappy Jersey weather, Mr. Rettig. You're not in southern Cal or Baton Rouge. Learn to throw in the cold, wind and rain.

Welcome to crappy Jersey weather, Mr. Rettig. You're not in southern Cal or Baton Rouge. Learn to throw in the cold, wind and rain.

Good point, which hasn't been mentioned before. Playing in the cold takes some getting used to. he should be much better during fall camp.

I thought all the QBs looked competent. Laviano simply stood out which makes sense because he's the most seasoned. Happy with the QB spot overall.

Personally do not like the running clock not enough reps to go around. OSUs QBs throwing 35xs Ours who need experience 7. You can't worry about injuries you have to get the QBs and RB a lots of reps

Green: we do not have the depth of an OSU. I nearly fell out of my chair when Longa crumpled to the ground. If we get to the point where our 3rd string QB is championship caliber, then I'd be more inclined to agree wih you.

I know it's limited action, but Rettig is overwhelmingly underwhelming. He enrolled at RU last year and redshirted. He had a year's access to the Fridge. And now the excuse is he doesn't know tye playbook?? What the hell was he doing all last year? No wonder Les Miles showed him the bench.

Rettig was playing Scout team QB every game last season, he was learning the plays of Penn St, Mich, OSU, Indiana , etc. A good scout team is very helpful preparing the team for the upcoming game. Learning the oppositions plays became Rettig's responsibility last season.

Why does everyone forget that he transferred because he got beat out on two separate occasions at LSU?

We should probably apply the whole "stars don't mean anything" logic that we love around here to Rettig too until he proves something on the field.

Why does everyone forget that he transferred because he got beat out on two separate occasions at LSU?

We should probably apply the whole "stars don't mean anything" logic that we love around here to Rettig too until he proves something on the field.

He didn't get beat out , LSU brought in a new Off Coordinator, and changed from a Pro style offense to a spread. Rettig was recruited as a Pro Style QB for Pro Style offense. Redshirted and left.

I see our contingent of dbag "fans" have descended upon this thread to anoint their brand new punching bag. Way to be supportive of our players, especially one who hasn't even played in a game. Oh, how I wish the ignore function was still available. Most of these jackasses were on their on the old site.

I'm sure one of Floods apologists will respond in his defense.. But he really blew with it when it comes to PJ Walker.. Things would be totally different around here. But it is what it is. We're likely to win 6 games this year & 6 games next year.. And then hopefully we'll make a move and land a coach who knows what he is doing

I'm sure one of Floods apologists will respond in his defense.. But he really blew with it when it comes to PJ Walker.. Things would be totally different around here. But it is what it is. We're likely to win 6 games this year & 6 games next year.. And then hopefully we'll make a move and land a coach who knows what he is doing

The Vegas over /under for RU last season was 4 1/2, RU and Flood won 8. Beat Maryland, Michgian, Wash St and North Carolina as an underdog. He does the same again and he might bolt for a bigger job and big pay raise. I had doubts too, you know what, he's done ok.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT