ADVERTISEMENT

Quad Rankings

RutgersChow

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Quad 1 Win

Beating a team ranked 1-30 at home. Why not 1-27 or 1-24?.
Beating a team ranked 1-75 on the road. Why not 1-73 or 1-67?
Just pick numbers out of the air.

So beating the number one team in the nation at home is essentially the same as beating the number 75 team on the road.
Beating Houston or Purdue at home are Quad 1 wins as are beating St. Bonaventure and North Texas on the road.

The Quad ranking system is arbitrary and insanely stupid.

St. Bonaventure has one more win than us and a much weaker schedule, and they're 14 spots ahead of us. Just absurd.

Reactions: RUbbFannn
I havent glanced at their profile but do they have a 1 point home win over one of the bottom 5 schools in the country

That game alone likely costs RU 6-10 spots

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Villanova at 34 is absurdly high. SHU 40 spots ahead of us with a loss to us at their place is beyond stupid.

Reactions: mugrat86
The whole tournament bracketology is a gimmick -- inconsistent from year to year , wants to give the illusion it's objective but in the end it's not and it certainly has alot of subjectively but it's like a reality show that gets viewers.

Does Rutgers have a win over UConn and Marquette? Or UNC
We're talking 50 spots ahead of us, and last I looked NOVA is 0-1 vs. UCONN and 0-2 vs. Marquette, with losses to UPENN, Drexel and St.Joes. 50 SPOTS?

And SHU beat UCONN when UCONN was without their starting center, and beating SHU at their place when both teams were at full strength should take major precedence, and in itself should not have them 40 spots ahead of us.

Depaul wins are also Quad 10 wins, LOL.

Last edited:
shu beat uconn and you downplay...certainly the computer does give a shit
nova also won at Creighton and beat Texas Tech...they beat PC/SHU which many have just in the field right now

is Nova a tourney team right now, probably not but not really quibbling as to why they are there...there is also a one point loss to Uconn which probably helps them as well. Plus they won their Q4 games by alot...3 Q3 losses bad but rutgers performance offensively has torpedoed their net and specifically the game vs stonehill was basically a loss as far as what the net measures

I dont know..if they played on a neutral court in December, Rutgers probably loses, right now with J Will RU wins by double digits
So by your comments it appears you see the NET as an accurate measuring stick? What do you make of the arbitrary numbers they've chosen - 0-30, 0-50, 0-75?

nova also won at Creighton and beat Texas Tech...they beat PC/SHU which many have just in the field right now

is Nova a tourney team right now, probably not but not really quibbling as to why they are there...there is also a one point loss to Uconn which probably helps them as well. Plus they won their Q4 games by alot...3 Q3 losses bad but rutgers performance offensively has torpedoed their net and specifically the game vs stonehill was basically a loss as far as what the net measures
I would also say that using the amount you beat a team as a measure of how good you are is contrary to what college athletics is all about - beating up on someone when they're down and not giving your bench players, who you ask to work hard every day in practice, more of a chance to play.

I would also say that using the amount you beat a team as a measure of how good you are is contrary to what college athletics is all about - beating up on someone when they're down and not giving your bench players, who you ask to work hard every day in practice, more of a chance to play.
Eking out a win on a very late three over a terrible stonehill team isn't getting bench players in the game either.

That argument has always been silly to me. The end of the bench goes into games when you're up by 20, not when you're up by 4. If you're already up by 20, ultimately winning by 16 isn't going to change your numbers very much.

Seems like Quad 1 should be the top 36 teams — those that would get at-large bids if the regular season ended that day.

no one asked you to watch
Mr usually wrong ( just read your posts during a game) , who even said I don't " watch"-- you're a presumptive ass.By the way do you really think you have any ownership of the whole Ncaa / bracketology stuff -- your opinion is as bad as anyone's-- let's not forget last year.

I havent glanced at their profile but do they have a 1 point home win over one of the bottom 5 schools in the country

That game alone likely costs RU 6-10 spots
Take a glance. It’s fascinating. Not much I wouldn’t trade the Stonehill stinker for but a 3 point home loss to Canisius is definitely on the list. The 6 point home loss to Fordham might make the cut too.

Mr usually wrong ( just read your posts during a game) , who even said I don't " watch"-- you're a presumptive ass.By the way do you really think you have any ownership of the whole Ncaa / bracketology stuff -- your opinion is as bad as anyone's-- let's not forget last year.

Anyone is free to do bracketology on this board. The more the merrier. Lets see yours

Take a glance. It’s fascinating. Not much I wouldn’t trade the Stonehill stinker for but a 3 point home loss to Canisius is definitely on the list. The 6 point home loss to Fordham might make the cut too.

Likely 5 or so 30 plus point wins

The Rutgers offensive effiency is killing alot and net is lining up close with ken pom

But stonehill is costing RU alot

Dont forget LIU as well was a 6 point game with like 7 minutes

2 of the 10 worst. We would be top 75 if we beat them by 30

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The top 36 don't get automatic at large bids, though.
Some get auto-bids for winning their conference championship. After that, isn’t the idea to find the best remaining 36 teams to fill out the brackets?

So, until the automatic qualifiers are determined, why not track the best 36 teams throughout the season and consider those Quad 1, instead of just 30?

Using 36 for Quad 1 would represent the top 10% of all D1 teams. Seems reasonable to me.

A loss to Penn trumps a close win over Stonehill. Chow is absolutely correct to say how insane it is for Nova to be 50 spots ahead of us.

Some get auto-bids for winning their conference championship. After that, isn’t the idea to find the best remaining 36 teams to fill out the brackets?

So, until the automatic qualifiers are determined, why not track the best 36 teams throughout the season and consider those Quad 1, instead of just 30?

Using 36 for Quad 1 would represent the top 10% of all D1 teams. Seems reasonable to me.

It doesn't work that way

For example smu colorado and wake all have nets in top 40 yet beat no one

I dont understand the schools in the quads keep changing and they net is a sorting too not how teams are picked

If all you have is net you have nothing

Reactions: cm_13 and RUChoppin

The goal isn't trying to find the best 36 teams, but the most deserving 36 teams.

NET is a sorting tool used to help find the most deserving teams, it is not there to be used as a cutoff for which teams should and shouldn't be given at large bids.

I don't necessarily disagree with the cutoffs being scaled to the total number of teams, but the tournament isn't similarly scaled. The AP doesn't publish a top 36 just because there are 362 teams now.

The goal isn't trying to find the best 36 teams, but the most deserving 36 teams.

NET is a sorting tool used to help find the most deserving teams, it is not there to be used as a cutoff for which teams should and shouldn't be given at large bids.

I don't necessarily disagree with the cutoffs being scaled to the total number of teams, but the tournament isn't similarly scaled. The AP doesn't publish a top 36 just because there are 362 teams now.
When I used the term best, I meant the most deserving based on the criteria used.

This thread is insanely myopic and demonstrates a clear misunderstanding of how the information is used by the selection committee as evidenced by "So beating the number one team in the nation at home is essentially the same as beating the number 75 team on the road." Yet the OP claims to know more about basketball than most on this board.

Also

You act like it's so important or so special to do a" bracketology " or that watching the NCAA's is under your authority. To me, I have no interest in speculatimg or pretending to be an expert.
It’s good that you understand your limitations. But to do a proper bracket projection — one worth reading, like the one bac does — requires a good deal of work and analysis. It’s not easy to do one well, so why disparage the effort when someone manages to do it weekly?

We're talking 50 spots ahead of us, and last I looked NOVA is 0-1 vs. UCONN and 0-2 vs. Marquette, with losses to UPENN, Drexel and St.Joes. 50 SPOTS?

And SHU beat UCONN when UCONN was without their starting center, and beating SHU at their place when both teams were at full strength should take major precedence, and in itself should not have them 40 spots ahead of us.

Depaul wins are also Quad 10 wins, LOL.
I have a lot of issues with NET too, but just to set the record straight, UConn’s center played two-thirds of that game against Seton Hall before his injury. They were largely ineffective and he was piling up fouls. The Huskies were down by about 6 or 8 when he went out with the injury If I remember correctly.

how..i just told you, wake, colorado and smu have very little in terms of beating quality opponents but land in the top 40 net
We’re talking about 2 different things. All I’m saying is, whatever criteria is used to determine Quad1, make Quad1 36 teams instead of 30, as a sorting tool.

In fact it might be good for Quad2 to.be 37-72, Quad3 to be 73-108, and Quad4 to be 109+

I agree with you that something is wrong with the criteria that has SMU at 40 NET, but that’s a different topic altogether.

A fat, bald, cigar chomping, half-American Englishman once said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others" and I feel the same way about the NET.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT