ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
The new Flo high school rankings are out.
Hamilton a senior - unlimited ranked # 3. Can he do both or will it be footbal?
White a senior 145lb ranked # 15
Chletsos a junior 132lb ranked 13th
Soldano a junior 182 ranked 4th

No other recruits ranked by Flo

It seems that our recruiting has fallen off. Are we saving money for Shane Griffith? What do you think?

It seems that our recruiting has fallen off. Are we saving money for Shane Griffith? What do you think?

It's really hard to say recruiting has fallen off when we have the #3 and #4 guys in their respective weight classes and guys like White, Chletsos, and Oliveri (still ranked by some publications, but he will more than likely be a 3x NJ state champ and will find himself back in the mix after that) ranked in the top 20. The biggest issue with these rankings are that they are so much "what have you done for me lately" and short sighted rather than recent body of work.

For example: Hummel is now in the top 25 as per Flo after being Oliveri in the preseason but not even a month ago he lost to Chris Bacchioni who finished 7th at the Mobbin Classic and whom Oliveri beat soundly. Chris Bacchioni is an unranked wrestler and a bad loss but yet Hummel is ranked higher than Oliveri who is a 2x NJ state champ and has a significantly better recent resume? I get it given the recency bias but you really need to take some of these rankings with a grain of salt.

We also have a guy like Weaver, who has shown to be very dangerous and he is still developing & working with Donny. Unfortunately he hasn't wrestled in almost a year so there is no chance he would be ranked.

Moreover, these were always going to be small classes and the whole free year due to COVID really messes things up. We also have money tied up for Suriano to possibly return as well as Griffith since he is in the portal. It's always been complex waters to navigate, add in the free year, ORS, and transfers and it's a complete clusterfvck.

Last edited:
Forgot abt Weaver havnt seen him in any tournaments.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with him as he hasn't been involved in anything since the state tournament last March. His brother wrestled at the Mobbin Classic, so unless he is injured it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why he wouldn't compete. Hopefully he is just grinding/training and being cautious, but we will see in a few weeks...

Shane is in the portal so we have to account for him and have $ available in case he decides we are his destination.
Good thing is he's a Jersey guy and would cost much less toward Scholarship amount and he's obviously a good student. Probably wouldn't cost us that much to Full Ride him and if he ends up here he's definitely not paying a dime

Last edited:

It's not much different from the last 2 classes. Your frustration, which I agree with, but don't have an answer for, is that it hasn't taken the next step to consistently land more of the really elite recruits, like a SVN, Bouzakis, Suriano, or Ashnault level. Soldano is on the cusp of that and is only getting better so he will likely be on that list. I can't wait for him to get here. 1 or none a recruiting season isn't gonna get us to the next level. Go pull Griffith (many think he's headed to Michigan) and Bouzakis (likely tOSU, if PSU is "full") and we'll start that ascension and create a huge buzz in the wrestling community.

It's not much different from the last 2 classes. Your frustration, which I agree with, but don't have an answer for, is that it hasn't taken the next step to consistently land more of the really elite recruits, like a SVN, Bouzakis, Suriano, or Ashnault level. Soldano is on the cusp of that and is only getting better so he will likely be on that list. I can't wait for him to get here. 1 or none a recruiting season isn't gonna get us to the next level. Go pull Griffith (many think he's headed to Michigan) and Bouzakis (likely tOSU, if PSU is "full") and we'll start that ascension and create a huge buzz in the wrestling community.
Griffith Michigan is the favorite and I have recently heard ASU as a possibility as well. Bouzakis is a heavy PSU lean and is on the NLWC card Tuesday against Nardone

It would be nice to read minds but since we can't, the next best would be to have someone independent ask kids like Griffith and Bouzakis why they chose ASU, PSU, OSU, etc., and more importantly, why not Rutgers. That must be understood in order to compete for wrestlers and no one should presume to know the answers. If Rutgers can't attract a kid like Griffith, who has Jersey roots, forget about Bouzakis. Yeah, I think Bouzakis is a pipe dream anyway as was Van Ness. And Soldano isn't here yet.

Good thing is he's a Jersey guy and would cost much less toward Scholarship amount and he's obviously a good student. Probably wouldn't cost us that much to Full Ride him and if he ends up here he's definitely not paying a dime
That isn't how it works. Wrestling is considered an "equivalency sport" unlike football and basketball which are "headcount sports". With equivalency sports, if a wrestler is getting, say, half a scholarship, he's getting either half of Rutgers' in-state or out-of-state tuition, depending on where he lives. The "scholarship amount" (the monetary value) has nothing to do with it. What's important is the scholarship he is granted counts against the 9.9 total wrestling scholarships Rutgers is allowed to award.

Keep in mind this 9.9 total is being divvied up across all 10 of your starters, your part-time starters, the incoming blue-chip recruits you have redshirting, the guys who were granted a 6th year, and anyone else on the roster the coaching staff feels is deserving of an award. It is therefore highly unlikely Shane Griffith or anyone else would be getting a "full-ride". Obviously, Goodale has the ability to offer him a full ride, but this would be to the detriment of the rest of his roster.

That isn't how it works. Wrestling is considered an "equivalency sport" unlike football and basketball which are "headcount sports". With equivalency sports, if a wrestler is getting, say, half a scholarship, he's getting either half of Rutgers' in-state or out-of-state tuition, depending on where he lives. The "scholarship amount" (the monetary value) has nothing to do with it. What's important is the scholarship he is granted counts against the 9.9 total wrestling scholarships Rutgers is allowed to award.

Keep in mind this 9.9 total is being divvied up across all 10 of your starters, your part-time starters, the incoming blue-chip recruits you have redshirting, the guys who were granted a 6th year, and anyone else on the roster the coaching staff feels is deserving of an award. It is therefore highly unlikely Shane Griffith or anyone else would be getting a "full-ride". Obviously, Goodale has the ability to offer him a full ride, but this would be to the detriment of the rest of his roster.
You couldn't be more wrong...Most of these guys get academic money, Financial Aid or other scholarships that chip into Tuition, room and board...There have been a couple of wrestlers in the past that were at a full ride..If Shane Griffith decides to come here he won't be paying anything...9.9 means nothing it's the Total amount of what 9.9 out of State Scholarships equal...Do you think Sebastian Rivera and Family are paying a dime to attend Rutgers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
You couldn't be more wrong...Most of these guys get academic money, Financial Aid or other scholarships that chip into Tuition, room and board...There have been a couple of wrestlers in the past that were at a full ride..If Shane Griffith decides to come here he won't be paying anything...9.9 means nothing it's the Total amount of what 9.9 out of State Scholarships equal...Do you think Sebastian Rivera and Family are paying a dime to attend Rutgers?
Look at Gable getting in trouble with his finances at Iowa. Iowa was counting 9.9x cost of out of state tuition and got in trouble for it. A coach can give a full ride, that is fine. But then everyone else on the team shares 8.9 scholarships. It gets you a stud, perhaps, but hurts the team depth overall.

LetsGoRUwrestling-while I agree with your first few sentences and some guys are on full rides, you are not correct on how you are computing 9.9. Brian LBU is correct the scholarships are "equalized" to come up with the 9.9. Think of it this way, for math sense lets use 10 scholarships. And for ease of math say in-state tuition is 10k per year and out of state is 20k per year. So yes there is 200k in the "pot" but you cannot give 20 full rides to 20 NJ residents( you can only give 10 full rides).

A full ride in wrestling is nothing like football or basketball...You have to be creative and work with Financial Aid...but The best guys don't pay anything

nd for ease of math say in-state tuition is 10k per year and out of state is 20k per year. So yes there is 200k in the "pot" but you cannot give 20 full rides to 20 NJ residents( you can only give 10..

.Yes you can if they Qualify through financial Aid...Like I said I'm not talking a basketball or football scholarship...Some guys might only need $5,000 to have not pay a dime...To me if you and Family don't pay a dime that is a Wrestling full ride

Anyone have some recruiting updates as it's been pretty quiet on here? Is Griffith staying at Stanford? Based on other sites and social media, people think Bouzakis is leaning towards OKST, PSU, or maybe tOSU. Speaking of tOSU...

He’s alright. Don’t think he’ll ever be a starter there.

Willie's updated 2023 big board. Lots of NJ guys near the top, but unfortuantely a bunch at schools such as Blair and Debarton, which we haven't had a lot of success at in the past. Need to find a way to clean up in this class though.

4. Jim Mullen (St. Joes)
10. Marc Anthony McGowan (Blair)
15. Mikey Dellagatta (St. Joes)
19. Simon Ruiz (Delbarton)
27. Tyler Vazquez (Debarton)
43. Lorenzo Norman (Blair)
48. Cross Wasilewski (Delbarton)
52. Sabino Portella (Red Bank)
56. Anthony Santaniello (Brick)
68. Brady Conlin (Washington)
84. AJ Fricchione (St. Joes)
116. Julian George (CBA)
120. Jack Zaleski (Middletown South)
127. Alex Uryniak (North Hunterdon)
130. Max Acciardi (Westwood)
133. Conor Collins (Southern)
135. Justin Onello (BC)
138. Joe Davi (Delbarton)

I'd be surprised to see Shane Griffith transfer out of Stanford now that they reinstated their program. I mean, he's been the biggest voice in the reinstatement process.

Willie's updated 2023 big board. Lots of NJ guys near the top, but unfortuantely a bunch at schools such as Blair and Debarton, which we haven't had a lot of success at in the past. Need to find a way to clean up in this class though.

4. Jim Mullen (St. Joes)
10. Marc Anthony McGowan (Blair)
15. Mikey Dellagatta (St. Joes)
19. Simon Ruiz (Delbarton)
27. Tyler Vazquez (Debarton)
43. Lorenzo Norman (Blair)
48. Cross Wasilewski (Delbarton)
52. Sabino Portella (Red Bank)
56. Anthony Santaniello (Brick)
68. Brady Conlin (Washington)
84. AJ Fricchione (St. Joes)
116. Julian George (CBA)
120. Jack Zaleski (Middletown South)
127. Alex Uryniak (North Hunterdon)
130. Max Acciardi (Westwood)
133. Conor Collins (Southern)
135. Justin Onello (BC)
138. Joe Davi (Delbarton)

From that list, who do you want and who do you think we get? I'm curious for others to answer this as well. I like Mullen and McGowan the most, then Dellagatta, Vazquez, and Santaniello. I'd guess all are probably top targets and very hard to get. I wouldn't be surprised if McGowen and Vazquez favor Ivies and the usual top schools.

Anyone have insights into 2023 recruits?

From that list, who do you want and who do you think we get? I'm curious for others to answer this as well. I like Mullen and McGowan the most, then Dellagatta, Vazquez, and Santaniello. I'd guess all are probably top targets and very hard to get. I wouldn't be surprised if McGowen and Vazquez favor Ivies and the usual top schools.

Anyone have insights into 2023 recruits?
Outside of Mullen, who is currently on another level, I really like Santaniello. He is much more aggressive and more of a point scorer than his brother. He has a chance to be a 3-time champ and 4 time finalist. He is definitely a high target for RU and is very close to Theobold.

Outside of Mullen, who is currently on another level, I really like Santaniello. He is much more aggressive and more of a point scorer than his brother. He has a chance to be a 3-time champ and 4 time finalist. He is definitely a high target for RU and is very close to Theobold.
Agreed and nice to hear that he's close with Theo. I really like McGowan, as he's very offensive and comes from a great family too. He may be a 4/5 yr 125 in college too which would be huge.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Agree with you on McGowan....but we have not landed a Blair blue chipper yet, so not confident.....hopefully soon!
Yup that's the concern and I'm sure he's looking at Ivies, whether it's Princeton, Cornell or UPenn.

Anthony is also more into the sport than Vinny, who loves the sport but also loves to party a little bit.

• Wow
Wow, Minnesota is absolutely killing it with the 2023 class. Gavin Nelson just committed which gives them 2 of the top 5 p4p recruits in the class (along with Cody Chittum)

• Sad
I know it's early, but hopefully RU gets some recruiting momentum with the 2023's soon because we seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. I know COVID didn't make any roster/scholarship decisions easy especially with such a young team, but I haven't seen us mentioned in any recruiting updates for any top recruits.

• Wow
Reactions: koleszar
I know it's early, but hopefully RU gets some recruiting momentum with the 2023's soon because we seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. I know COVID didn't make any roster/scholarship decisions easy especially with such a young team, but I haven't seen us mentioned in any recruiting updates for any top recruits.
I thought recruiting was on the uptick and we would continue to ascend. Especially with the new APC. But recently it's been kind of meh.

Last edited:
I thought recruiting was on the uptick and we would continue to ascend. Especially with the new APC. But recently it's been kind of meh.
It's been slow after landing Soldano last July and then Chletsos in Sept. Not being able to have recruits on campus to workout at SKWC or visit has hurt us. Hopefully, we can start landing some elite 2023s. Not sure what other 2022s we have a shot with but it stinks we couldn't land Bouzakis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT