ADVERTISEMENT

rooting for Notre Dame

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
It's really tough for this fan who normally can't stand ND, but UConn is just so obnoxious, especially that bench warmer who high fives everyone down the bench when they hit a three. I guess it's her way of getting involved in the game. She certainly isn't good enough to play meaningful minutes. One consolation is the fact that Muffet seems like a very classy lady. So for one of the very few times, GO IRISH!

With you 100%. Not a ND fan in general but the women's team is an exception. It would be great for women's b-ball for someone else to dethrone those pesky huskies.

Can't root for either team. Whoever wins won't make me happy that the other lost.
If both get disqualified then
3dgrin.r191677.gif

UConn will win by double digits because womens college basketball is a two tier system with UConn and everybody else.Its a total joke but the fault lies with the other schools failure to recruit better players.

Originally posted by knight82:

It's really tough for this fan who normally can't stand ND, but UConn is just so obnoxious, especially that bench warmer who high fives everyone down the bench when they hit a three. I guess it's her way of getting involved in the game. She certainly isn't good enough to play meaningful minutes. One consolation is the fact that Muffet seems like a very classy lady. So for one of the very few times, GO IRISH!
The high five line after a 3 is a longstanding UConn tradition, so don't blame her for it. (You can decide who else to blame if you'd like . . .)

Last week I watched UConn play at home and didn't know that their fans stood until the first point was scored for the second half also.

Muffet is classy but I have seen her beat opponents into mercy score-wise. I root against them also but they paid their dues during the last several tournaments; therefore, I will root against UConn.

Basketball? What basketball? It's baseball season now. No more meaningful basketball games left.

Originally posted by MC1974:

Last week I watched UConn play at home and didn't know that their fans stood until the first point was scored for the second half also.
Indeed they do. I seem to recall a story about how Geno's wife was annoyed that RU fans kept trying to get her to sit down during the 2nd half of a UConn-RU game at the RAC, maybe during the Cappie era, because it took so long for the Huskies to score.

"The high five line after a 3 is a longstanding UConn tradition....."

BeK is correct....it is a tradition, albeit an annoying to most outside of Huskyville. My understanding of the tradition is that it was started as a way to keep the bench players involved in the game. My theory? It was started as a way to annoy opposing teams fan bases, and in that respect, it seems to work quite well! :)

Here's another UConn tradition, the assistant coach holding Geno back whenever a call doesn't their way.

Originally posted by Ewecon:
"The high five line after a 3 is a longstanding UConn tradition....."

BeK is correct....it is a tradition, albeit an annoying to most outside of Huskyville. My understanding of the tradition is that it was started as a way to keep the bench players involved in the game. My theory? It was started as a way to annoy opposing teams fan bases, and in that respect, it seems to work quite well! :)
And so, either way, you could attribute it to Geno.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

Indeed they do. I seem to recall a story about how Geno's wife was annoyed that RU fans kept trying to get her to sit down during the 2nd half of a UConn-RU game at the RAC, maybe during the Cappie era, because it took so long for the Huskies to score.
At the risk of incriminating myself, I can say in all honesty that I sat directly behind (one row behind) Geno's wife and his mother. The scoreless streak went on for many, many minutes. Several of us fans were asking, then screaming at her to sit down. While Mrs. G. was very arrogant and argumentative, his mother was polite and eventually agreed with us that she and her daughter-in-law should sit down.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:

At the risk of incriminating myself, I can say in all honesty that I sat directly behind (one row behind) Geno's wife and his mother. The scoreless streak went on for many, many minutes. Several of us fans were asking, then screaming at her to sit down. While Mrs. G. was very arrogant and argumentative, his mother was polite and eventually agreed with us that she and her daughter-in-law should sit down.
Your secret is safe with us.

It does occur to me that it would be fun to organize people at UConn away games to start chanting "sit down, sit down" if UConn doesn't score on its first possession of a half. (And, with many years' hindsight, at some point all of you could have started encouraging them to stay standing, since it obviously wasn't helping the team score, or asking them annoying questions - something like "Do you get to sit down to drive home if they don't score?")

it will be easy to root against UConn in this one but the game will likely be over by the 10 minute mark in the first half

MC - I was one row behind you at that game..the Star Ledger the next day labelled us the 'rabid Rutgers fans'..a title my daughter loves to share to this day
roll.r191677.gif

From my perch in Section 301 (behind the 1989 championship banner, in case you're interested), I actually thought it was a pretty interesting game. The UConn 12-point lead with about 15 minutes left was more or less the biggest margin, and the Irish kept clawing back, only for UConn to stretch the lead again. Despite their offensive woes, the Irish really were in the game until KML hit the late 3 to put the Huskies up by 9 with 2+ left.

All that said, it was not remotely a thing of beauty. Notre Dame might have won if they could have hit a few layups or made better decisions a few times, but they didn't.

Originally posted by nj4shore:
MC - I was one row behind you at that game..the Star Ledger the next day labelled us the 'rabid Rutgers fans'..a title my daughter loves to share to this day
roll.r191677.gif
Ah, a comrade in battle!! We even asked the men in yellow (ushers) to ask them to sit; we were hoping for a UCONN score. I used to have two season tickets in the fourth row and rows one through three were reserved for the visiting team. In hindsight, it was not the brightest idea to sit her anywhere but the first two rows where she would have some buffering. We never had problems with the opposing fans before and usually had some nice conversations with them. Geno's wife actually turned around to tell us off but we gave it right back to her. His mother apologized to us, though.

If Geno, or any coach, found this to be a problem he/she should speak to their spouse ahead of time and mention how rude it is to stand in front of other persons for ten plus minutes. We weren't rabid, we just wanted to see what was happing on the court, that's all. Nothing more.

Well, yes, a few "rabid" words were possibly uttered.
blush.r191677.gif

UConn did not play their best game. And they still won by ten. Nothing will change until Geno retires.

It was a poorly played game by both teams because of the inability to score.I give Notre Dame full credit for hanging tough even though Lloyd failed to show up in the second half.Moving forward UConn rests for 7 months ,hangs another national championship banner and then restarts the process for a fourth straight title.At UConn boring is nice.

Notre Dame was really off, from the parts of the game I watched, and were lucky to only lose by 10. The number of balls they just threw away out of bounds in the first half was amazing - just sloppy, not taking care of the ball. And missed chip shots... I saw one of their players airball a layup, and knew it wasn't their night. And as always, the officiating made the Duke/Wisconsin guys look good.

Originally posted by RUChoppin:
Notre Dame was really off, from the parts of the game I watched, and were lucky to only lose by 10. The number of balls they just threw away out of bounds in the first half was amazing - just sloppy, not taking care of the ball. And missed chip shots... I saw one of their players airball a layup, and knew it wasn't their night. And as always, the officiating made the Duke/Wisconsin guys look good.
When I saw Mark Zentz was one of the refs, my jaw dropped. That guy is one of the worst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT