ADVERTISEMENT

RU Football recruiting: what happened?

How does Illinois with Bielema manage? Illinois did not get killed by Minnesota, and they beat Nebraska handily and Iowa too. They competed against Michigan and finished 8-4. And Purdue? Yeah, they are in the West like Illinois, but Purdue put up a fight against Michigan in the B1G championship, beat Nebraska, Maryland and Minnesota. Doubt those teams are NIL kingpins.

Remember what happened our first and best year for football in the big ten with those 32 and 24 ranking classes.

Realistically I think you need to be at least a 40 average ranking and get a few quality starters in the portal consistently to make a bowl and be competitive every year with our schedule.

Hoping the end of East/West happens soon because we start each year with 4 automatic L’s.
What team is the automatic 4th loss?

How does Illinois with Bielema manage? Illinois did not get killed by Minnesota, and they beat Nebraska handily and Iowa too. They competed against Michigan and finished 8-4. And Purdue? Yeah, they are in the West like Illinois, but Purdue put up a fight against Michigan in the B1G championship, beat Nebraska, Maryland and Minnesota. Doubt those teams are NIL kingpins.
Exactly. The NIL excuse is lazy

In 2010 when Greg's recruiting class was ranked 64th in the country, was that NIL too? Even the 2 years before that- they were ranked in the 40's. The fallout at Pitt - getting us Hafely, and Penn st being down - was the only reason recruiting went well when Greg left. Dont hold your breath. It's not NIL, recruits just aren't interested in Schiano. They would still pick other schools if we had NIL money

Reactions: RUaMoose
Remember before the fallout at Pitt. Wandestedt and Hafley were destroying Schiano in recruiting. Greg fans boy were making excuses then too. "Oh but Pitt has so much rich football history." NIl is the new excuse. Funny how we didn't need NIl excuses last year- when Fran Brown brought all that talent here.
All that talent that's been squandered with bad coaching, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

I remembered we put up a fight against Mich also. We were down 14-0 at half against Minny. The common theme last year was that the dam breaks in the 3Q.

NIL is neck & neck with Quality recruiter... and exceeding it... hate to say it. CFB is getting away from us and future looks grim if some kind of control is not taken.

If the deck is so far stacked against Rutgers in every aspect of CFB (recruiting, NIL, schedule) that there is little to no hope of overcoming, then why exactly are we even in the Big Ten?

The way people talk is sounds like the AAC would more make sense.
At least then we'll likely get a playoff berth in the upcoming 12 team playoff

Reactions: Knight Shift
If the deck is so far stacked against Rutgers in every aspect of CFB (recruiting, NIL, schedule) that there is little to no hope of overcoming, then why exactly are we even in the Big Ten?

First University to enter the transfer portal

Thank goodness for Cal and Indiana. They had the two worst recruiting classes of all the P-5 schools.

I believe Indiana is only behind us based on volume.
Average stars we are slightly below them.

Not sure about Cal.

Likely ? How? Imagine how shitty the recruiting would be if we were AAC. And he wouldn’t suddenly learn to coach

I don’t agree with those who think we have enough talent and coaching is the issue. The talent level on offense is not good enough for the B1G. The talent level is much better on defense and we are close there. The OC hire will be important , will they be able to scheme things better? The OL improvement for next year is critical.

Likely ? How? Imagine how shitty the recruiting would be if we were AAC. And he wouldn’t suddenly learn to coach

12 Team Playoff guarantees a spot for Top 6 conference champs.

For example, this year AAC Champ Tulane (11-2 and ranked #16) would be the 12 seed play at 5 seed OSU.

So yes, going forward it is likely the AAC champ is in the CFP.
As a reminder Cincinnati, Tulane (actually Houston) and UCF are leaving the AAC for Big 12.
So an even more watered down AAC Champ will potentially be in the CFP.

Last edited:
12 Team Playoff guarantees a spot for Top 6 conference champs.

For example, this year AAC Champ Tulane (11-2 and ranked #16) would be the 12 seed play at 5 seed OSU.

So yes, going forward it is likely the AAC champ is in the CFP.
As a reminder Cincinnati, Tulane and UCF are leaving the AAC for Big 12.
So an even more watered down AAC Champ will potentially be in the CFP.
Not Tulane, Houston to the B12

Reactions: NickRU714
Nick, yes I know about the expanded playoff and my point was he would sink to the bottom of that league too. He’s stigmatized due to his offensive philosophy. No OC, no portal on O, no notable skill players. It’s not a dumpster fire, it’s an inferno

Last edited:
I don’t agree with those who think we have enough talent and coaching is the issue. The talent level on offense is not good enough for the B1G. The talent level is much better on defense and we are close there. The OC hire will be important , will they be able to scheme things better? The OL improvement for next year is critical.
I'm not sure I agree:
Rivals ratings:

Offense:
QB- Gavin 5.8
RB- Monangai 5.5
WR-Cruickshank 5.7
WR- Ryan 5.5
WR- Jones 5.6
TE- Langan 5.6
OL- DiRenzo NR
OL-Asamoah 5.6
OL-Brown 5.4
OL- Dunlap 5.8
OL Pierce- NR
AVG- 5.6 / 2 NR

Defense:
DL-Lewis 5.6
DL- Bailey 5.6
DL Maijeh 5.4
DL Hamilton 5.4
LB Powell 5.5
LB Jennings 5.3
DB Melton 5.6
DB Braswell 5.4
DB Young 5.4
DB Ibbinuson 5.6
DB Izien 5.4
AVG- 5.47

The rankings out of HS for the offense are higher than for the defense.
The coaching staff on the defense is either better and/or doing a better job at developing skills/talent than the offensive side. Will go with the latter.

That is on coaching and on Greg in year 3. He preaches complementary football--can he coach it? Looks like he can't.

Greg is great at building a program. He has done it twice. The last cleaning up the Flood/Ash fiasco. That is as far as he can take us. I know some people think is a football God but in reality he is just a mediocre coach living on 2006. I really wanted him to succeed the 2nd time around but he just can't help himself. Not going to happen in the next couple of years but we need a new coach and yes we will have to pay big bucks for someone to make us a least relevant.

I think many naysayers will be eating their words as usual since many in this class will do really well-- but some have "stars" in their eyes and blinded
As usual? The last time any naysayers would have had to eat their words was maybe 2014 when we were just mediocre instead of horrendous as we have been for the entire period since then. What have you been watching?

I mean even if this were true the Big Ten is better for our other sports programs and academically. Being in the Big Ten is better than being in the AAC even if we never have a winning football season ever again.

That said, it's all bullshit excuses and there is no reason a big state university in a relatively populated, relatively rich state can't be good at football.

Reactions: NickRU714
Really let’s just ignore the Flood/Ash dumpster fire where GS gets a roster than was totally substandard to realistically compete in the Big, No coach was going to win without totally rebuilding the roster and that doesn’t happen in 2-3 years. Plus Noah busting up his hand in camp didn’t help at all. I’m not satisfied with where we are but to think someone has a silver bullet to fix this in a couple of years is just naive.

I think you have 85 scholarships should be able to remake your roster optimistically in 4 years. The offensive line will take 2-3 years once you have the right pieces in place. The issue with the O line is you need to be playing 21 and 22 yr olds. Not 18 and 19 yr olds (men vs boys). Hopefully Wimsett developmental curve is on the upswing as he is a critical piece. This still won’t get us in a position to compete head to head with Michigan, OSU, and PSU, maybe close the gap, but they are recruiting at a much higher level, to improve our recruiting we need to get back to a winning record and a bowl game, and be moving into the middle of the pack in the big ten, doing away with the east/ west alignments would be a huge help as welll. The next two years we need to see significant improvement and if it’s not there then we need to make some changes

I'm not sure I agree:
Rivals ratings:

Offense:
QB- Gavin 5.8
RB- Monangai 5.5
WR-Cruickshank 5.7
WR- Ryan 5.5
WR- Jones 5.6
TE- Langan 5.6
OL- DiRenzo NR
OL-Asamoah 5.6
OL-Brown 5.4
OL- Dunlap 5.8
OL Pierce- NR
AVG- 5.6 / 2 NR

Defense:
DL-Lewis 5.6
DL- Bailey 5.6
DL Maijeh 5.4
DL Hamilton 5.4
LB Powell 5.5
LB Jennings 5.3
DB Melton 5.6
DB Braswell 5.4
DB Young 5.4
DB Ibbinuson 5.6
DB Izien 5.4
AVG- 5.47

The coaching staff on the defense is either better and/or doing a better job at developing skills/talent than the offensive side. Will go with the latter.

That is on coaching and on Greg in year 3. He preaches complementary football--can he coach it? Looks like he can't.

Well I’m not sure about those numerical rankings and what they mean. I know what I see and I don’t see enough personnel on offense. Im not absolving GS, it’s up to him to hire a creative and good OC and to recruit top players. The pressure will build next season if there isn’t significant improvement.

I'm not sure I agree:
Rivals ratings:

Offense:
QB- Gavin 5.8
RB- Monangai 5.5
WR-Cruickshank 5.7
WR- Ryan 5.5
WR- Jones 5.6
TE- Langan 5.6
OL- DiRenzo NR
OL-Asamoah 5.6
OL-Brown 5.4
OL- Dunlap 5.8
OL Pierce- NR
AVG- 5.6 / 2 NR

Defense:
DL-Lewis 5.6
DL- Bailey 5.6
DL Maijeh 5.4
DL Hamilton 5.4
LB Powell 5.5
LB Jennings 5.3
DB Melton 5.6
DB Braswell 5.4
DB Young 5.4
DB Ibbinuson 5.6
DB Izien 5.4
AVG- 5.47

Our defense was decent this year, and ahead of our offense, but not sure if I'd hold it up as being at the level we need it to be. Granted, a lot of that was because they were exhausted by the ends of games.

Overall, we were 38th in Total Defense in the country. That sounds pretty decent overall, but that was only good enough for 8th in the Big Ten (9th if you measure by yards allowed per play). Even if that defense wasn't paired with one of the worst offenses in the country, it's just not really good enough to compete in our conference.

Every conference needs a doormat.

One key in turning things around in Schiano's first stint was he was able to assemble a quality offensive line - Zuttah, Sosa, Fladell, Stapleton and Stevenson. That needs to happen now too - the QB can't be under assault every time he drops back and the RBs can't keep getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. Schiano has brought in a lot of offensive linemen in the past couple HS recruiting cycles but it may be 2024 before they're ready for Big Ten football.

Also if Shepard develops into a quality QB we'll have a different perspective on the recruiting class regardless of the star rankings.

I saw the North Carolina QB was offered $5 millions by two teams to transfer to their teams, totally crazy.

I've posted about that and many of those numbers you see aren't real. Some players will make a bunch of money but not everyone and not likely on that scale. He did get some NIL from UNC's NIL group though.

Supposedly, a BC player turned down hundreds of thousands of dollars last year to leave, same for a Utah play who turned down 1M dollars. I don't believe those numbers at all. Lots big numbers float around but it doesn't mean all of them are true.

I think ACC might have ben better for us.

I've posted about that and many of those numbers you see aren't real. Some players will make a bunch of money but not everyone and not likely on that scale. He did get some NIL from UNC's NIL group though.

Supposedly, a BC player turned down hundreds of thousands of dollars last year to leave, same for a Utah play who turned down 1M dollars. I don't believe those numbers at all. Lots big numbers float around but it doesn't mean all of them are true.

Narduzzi has been a loose nut on a more than one occasion.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I'm not sure I agree:
Rivals ratings:

Offense:
QB- Gavin 5.8
RB- Monangai 5.5
WR-Cruickshank 5.7
WR- Ryan 5.5
WR- Jones 5.6
TE- Langan 5.6
OL- DiRenzo NR
OL-Asamoah 5.6
OL-Brown 5.4
OL- Dunlap 5.8
OL Pierce- NR
AVG- 5.6 / 2 NR

Defense:
DL-Lewis 5.6
DL- Bailey 5.6
DL Maijeh 5.4
DL Hamilton 5.4
LB Powell 5.5
LB Jennings 5.3
DB Melton 5.6
DB Braswell 5.4
DB Young 5.4
DB Ibbinuson 5.6
DB Izien 5.4
AVG- 5.47

I admit to paying too much attention to recruiting rankings, but I thought that two of our best players on defense this past season were Izien (5.4) and Jennings (5.3).
We could sure use more 5.4's or 5.3's if they were gonna contribute like those two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT