ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs WV 2006

They also needed an uncalled defensive pass interference on Rice when we were going for the 2pt conversion to tie in OT.
I remember that play but did not notice the penalty at the time
If that game were to have been played with today's technology and officiating replay rules, there was an excellent chance we would have won

Reactions: Eagleton96
I remember that play but did not notice the penalty at the time
If that game were to have been played with today's technology and officiating replay rules, there was an excellent chance we would have won
The DB was a half step behind Rice and grabbed one of his arms from behind preventing Rice from making the catch. Clear as day on the DVR replay.

Reactions: wheezer
I don't think the Townsend drop was a factor because WVU would have gone for it on 4th and short and their offense was pretty hot at that point. The best chance to win would have been in the first overtime when WVU only got a field goal, and all RU needed was a TD, being so close to the end zone. I suppose another best chance was the play before the long FG attempt, it was a short pass that would have gained like 2 yards if it was completed, which it was not. They should have handed off to Rice, maybe he gains 4 or 5 yards making the FG a little bit less difficult.

WV was just going to be appointed by destiny to be Greg's nemesis.
He could always gut a top USF team, and could he never beat a WV team.
If he had beaten WV and won a promised title in 2006 he might well have moved on.
There would be no GS 2.0 and maybe no B1G because he would have been gone soon after 2006.
That could have meant no stadium expansion since GS was a pusher for all that.
One thing I notice is that when middling teams win titles they quickly explode as coaches get picked-off (UConn, Cincy)

"Not all who wander are lost" Tolkien

First- F WVU and any of their POS fans.

The racist crap we got walking through those tailgates to the stadium was the worst shit you come ever hear.
And then even during the game- one of the other player families who bought tickets on their own and did not sit with tge rest of us families- those shits actually got between the parent and their teenage girls and started taunting the parents on what they we going to do to their girls.

Yeah- no, nothing good to say about any of them.
I never understood the infatuation w/WVU and their fans
To your point, they were awful to us in Morgantown

And they always beat us

80-7
Original black out game blowout
LeGrand plow the field at halftime snow game
2006 nightmare
Every other home game when it rained

Still have nightmares of Rich Rod, Slaton and White running circles around us
Throw in Noel Devine and the memories, at least for me, are far from fond

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Hated the 2009 game as well. There is a shot of my son and AD on the sidelines with just looks of (not sure what to call it but let’s say- resigned disgust) when J Brown put that stiff arm on George Johnson. They started calling him “oh no he didn’t” after that play

I never understood the infatuation w/WVU and their fans
To your point, they were awful to us in Morgantown

And they always beat us

80-7
Original black out game blowout
LeGrand plow the field at halftime snow game
2006 nightmare
Every other home game when it rained

Still have nightmares of Rich Rod, Slaton and White running circles around us
Throw in Noel Devine and the memories, at least for me, are far from fond

Can't forget Owen Schmitt doing a Leonard Leap vs RU

vysFhfm.gif

It sho
We shall not speak of this grand theft game again.
It should have never come down to this. We shit the bed vs Cincy after reading all the press clippings after the Louisville win. Orange Bowl would have been secured after the Syracuse win.

Reactions: ashokan
It sho

It should have never come down to this. We shit the bed vs Cincy after reading all the press clippings after the Louisville win. Orange Bowl would have been secured after the Syracuse win.
Had nothing to do with clippings- did you watch the game.
Cincy actually played it smart and fair by rules. Those PI’s were actually brilliant. And if they didnt commit them- completely different game and not sure they would have been within 2 scores…

I do think RU was lost between the ears for Cincy - Just a brutal game for offense.
RU was mostly flat and never really in the game - 27-3 at end of 3rd
Rice only had 58 yards on 16 carries - probably his worst game
Teel was awful - 21 of 42 with 4 INTs - 15.5 QBR.
Leonard had only 16 combined yards for the game
Ito was 1/2.

The whole week a lot of players were doing interviews on TV and radio - print was all over RU.
Bouquets and superlatives were all over the place - decades of futility were washed away in the magic moment. Yeah RU was def out of it for Cincy

That sort of thing happened after other big Schiano wins.
Greg's attitude is "the players worked hard and they should enjoy the fruits of their labor."
Smart coaches keep the team grounded after a big win - especially if they are new to them.
Greg should have had his pin out and popping balloons all over - "We aren't done yet - stay focused."
People know that drill.

Cincy was 7-5 without the bowl - they weren't as good as Louisville or WV.
Saddest RU loss I ever saw and I saw a few

That Cincy team was battle tested. They played 4 top ten teams - all on the road - before they played us.

That Cincy team was battle tested. They played 4 top ten teams - all on the road - before they played us.
They were ok but RU was better
Week before RU game, Cincy lost to WV 42 - 24 - and 14 of Cincy's 24 points came in 4th Q garbage time.
Cincy lost to Pitt 35-14/

When I look how awful a star-studded offense was in 2006 I know that's how they lost.
Rice and Leonard with a combined (rush & pass) 70 yards on offense?
WV didn't cause that.

They were ok but RU was better
Week before RU game, Cincy lost to WV 42 - 24 - and 14 of Cincy's 24 points came in 4th Q garbage time.
Cincy lost to Pitt 35-14/

When I look how awful a star-studded offense was in 2006 I know that's how they lost.
Rice and Leonard with a combined (rush & pass) 70 yards on offense?
WV didn't cause that.
No question but Cincy was a uniquely terrible opponent for us post Louisville. Easy to overlook but dangerous.

I looked at the stats of the game you reference and Cincy had 4 tos versus 0 for WVU. That'll do it. Cincy had played V Tech tough and should have beaten Louisville earlier in the year. Dantonio was building something there clearly.

No question but Cincy was a uniquely terrible opponent for us post Louisville. Easy to overlook but dangerous.

I looked at the stats of the game you reference and Cincy had 4 tos versus 0 for WVU. That'll do it. Cincy had played V Tech tough and should have beaten Louisville earlier in the year. Dantonio was building something there clearly.

After WV, Cincy was often RU's #2 problem
I knew Cincy was good and not great then, and I also knew RU wasn't a powerhouse in 06.
RU won a good chunk of its games by chin hairs.

However I knew when RU was sleepwalking after good wins

RU beat #2 USF in 2007 and the next week RU comes out feeling bad (in their first black-out unis) and get clock-cleaned

In 2009 RU beats another good USF team and next week SU smashes RU 31-13. RU had completely failed to realize how bad Marone wanted to beat RU for recruiting reasons. Marone had that team spittin nails.

In 2011 RU put the rare good win down over a good Cincy team (with Munchie) and the next week RU went to UConn totally expecting a win and a partial BE title. UConn smashed RU 40-22 (12 RU points in garbage time).

I'm pretty solid on opinion GS teams fall apart after good wins vs Good teams (60 point wins vs Wagner dont count).

You cant sleepwalk playing football. In baseball you can coast through an at-bat but do it in football and you get clocked. Must get off the bus stoked.

Players like Thompson didn't need to dial-up - always ready. No surprise he had the great leaping sack vs Cincy

W
Had nothing to do with clippings- did you watch the game.
Cincy actually played it smart and fair by rules. Those PI’s were actually brilliant. And if they didnt commit them- completely different game and not sure they would have been within 2 scores…
Watch Brent Celek rumble for 75 yards and tell me we played well. We couldn’t tackle to save our lives. We got a spanking because we weren’t prepared to play, like so many times after big wins, unfortunately.

Reactions: ashokan
Pat McAfee is awesome IMO.

Honestly the only show on ESPN worth watching. Guy is all time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT