ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Ohio State 361-328 yards advantage getting attention

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Nj.com, NY Post, Scarletknights.com, Columbus Dispatch, TKR posters, TOS are highlighting Rutgers' 361 to 328 yards advantage yesterday versus Ohio State.

What this favorite stat misses it excludes important yards made, yards with consequences for the games. Yesterday, Rutgers threw an interception returned 93 yards for instant points, changing the game. This pick-6 negative yardage and points do not show up in the Rutgers offense stats, rendering these stats less meaningful when pick-6 events have become part of the Rutgers offense. The 93 yards are not deducted from the quarterback's passing yards.

What can Rutgers do to improve its interception return coverage? This year, opponents are converting interceptions to points in a single play, turning game outcomes upside down.

Reactions: Zimm80
Nj.com, NY Post, Scarletknights.com, Columbus Dispatch, TKR posters, TOS are highlighting Rutgers' 361 to 328 yards advantage yesterday versus Ohio State.

What this favorite stat misses it excludes important yards made, yards with consequences for the games. Yesterday, Rutgers threw an interception returned 93 yards for instant points, changing the game. This pick-6 negative yardage and points do not show up in the Rutgers offense stats, rendering these stats less meaningful when pick-6 events have become part of the Rutgers offense. The 93 yards are not deducted from the quarterback's passing yards.

What can Rutgers do to improve its interception return coverage? This year, opponents are converting interceptions to points in a single play, turning game outcomes upside down.
Hollin Pierce needs to get down to 260 pounds.
Will that negatively impact his effectiveness as an offensive tackle? Perhaps.

95% of the time the ball thrown on the pick 6 is just an incomplete pass. Ridiculous lucky bounce right into defenders hands.

Reactions: rufancoe00
Sarcasm meters be broken this am.😂

hMGhbbY.png

Wasn't sure what you were responding to, so I missed it.

There isn't a tackle in the NFL playing at 260.
he was being sarcastic...funny thing about this though...I can't even begin to tell you how many games my son played OT at Rutgers at closer to 275 then 300. Also- his very first start in the NFL- LT against the Steelers in Pitt, had a stomach virus the week before his start and was down to 260 for the start of his game. And got the Game ball Offensive MVP for the game.

he was being sarcastic...funny thing about this though...I can't even begin to tell you how many games my son played OT at Rutgers at closer to 275 then 300. Also- his very first start in the NFL- LT against the Steelers in Pitt, had a stomach virus the week before his start and was down to 260 for the start of his game. And got the Game ball Offensive MVP for the game.

Ewww. 260lb guy poop thread!

When Rice was on offense he made most of the INT tackles.
He was All State DB for two years
Nice to have an ex defense players on offense

When Rice was on offense he made most of the INT tackles.
He was All State DB for two years
Nice to have an ex defense players on offense
I believe Ray had 5 tackles- made me also look because I know my son always had a few tackles via TO's on offense and I know he had at least 4 tackles from OT

I'm missing the problem with that stat.

By your logic we should throw out points scored and against stats because - for example - OSU only scored that last td because out of desperation we went for it on 4th down on our own 20.

I'm missing the problem with that stat.

By your logic we should throw out points scored and against stats because - for example - OSU only scored that last td because out of desperation we went for it on 4th down on our own 20.
I also don't think a team is going to spend much of their valuable practice time working on their interception return Coverage...

I also don't think a team is going to spend much of their valuable practice time working on their interception return Coverage...
That reminds me. If we're throwing out the yardage we need to throw away the clipping call on Wimsatt!

That reminds me. If we're throwing out the yardage we need to throw away the clipping call on Wimsatt!
What does suck with stats and the 3 pick 6's and the 2 fumbled punts inside the 10 yd...those 5 FU's cost us 35 points that make it look like the defense gave it up.

So I'm watching the game again. Couple of things.

Our O-Line was handling the D-Line of the #1 ranked team.
We were kicking their ass early in the 3Q.
That INT for a TD was a back breaker. We were heading in. OSU was gassed. And that INT was a friggen sweet play - had it worked.
Wimsatt had time in the pocket and actually made some really nice throws towards the end of the 2Q.

Anyway our O-Line is good maybe very good.

Reactions: shields

LOL. Clipping on a defensive play. (trying to tackle a D player with the ball after the INT). Not sure what Wimmy was thinking there but it was a penalty.

Interception return coverage? That’s not a thing.

That INT for a TD was a back breaker. We were heading in. OSU was gassed. And that INT was a friggen sweet play - had it worked.
Wimsatt had time in the pocket and actually made some really nice throws towards the end of the 2Q.

Agree with everything. Believe me when OSU left our house- they all were happy as hell to get out of there. Most likely the most beat down they have experienced this year and they knew thy could have and maybe should have lost that game.
Proud of this OL and what they are doing. The guy I am really watching is HP- he has the size that will get him drafted by someone. But last year- I doubt that would have happened and I could not have seen him able to make the adjustments he was going to have to make. He is getting pads down and getting the bend he needs- and he is finishing plays.
The OL in general- shows how a good coach can really make an OL look. I am not sure that as individuals, the players are as good as they are playing as a unit. And that is not meant as anything but a compliment.
What you also said about Gavin is true too- he makes his mistakes but he also really can make some beautiful throws too and it allows me to see how good he could be.
I also saw someone post in another thread that he plays without confidence- hahaha that is the one thing he has...And the team takes the same attitude.

Agree with everything. Believe me when OSU left our house- they all were happy as hell to get out of there. Most likely the most beat down they have experienced this year and they knew thy could have and maybe should have lost that game.
Proud of this OL and what they are doing. The guy I am really watching is HP- he has the size that will get him drafted by someone. But last year- I doubt that would have happened and I could not have seen him able to make the adjustments he was going to have to make. He is getting pads down and getting the bend he needs- and he is finishing plays.
The OL in general- shows how a good coach can really make an OL look. I am not sure that as individuals, the players are as good as they are playing as a unit. And that is not meant as anything but a compliment.
What you also said about Gavin is true too- he makes his mistakes but he also really can make some beautiful throws too and it allows me to see how good he could be.
I also saw someone post in another thread that he plays without confidence- hahaha that is the one thing he has...And the team takes the same attitude.

Normally the #1 ranked team just looks fast and big and makes big plays all over the field. Especially against a "RU level" program.

Schiano had the boys ready. OSU looked like a good team period. But it was nothing like us getting our asses kicked around by the big boys for the last 10 years.

Like I said in a earlier post. I'm running out of reasons to believe we're not that good.

Last edited:
Normally the #1 ranked team just looks fast and big and makes big plays all over the field. Especially against a RU level program.

Schiano had the boys ready. OSU looked like a good team period. But it was nothing like us getting our asses kicked around by the big boys for the last 10 years.

Like I said in a earlier post. I'm running out of reasons to believe we're not that good.
We looked like we belonged on the same field. And imagine if we played them like this with Powell healthy and them without Henderson, like a few teams had the benefit of.

Normally the #1 ranked team just looks fast and big and makes big plays all over the field. Especially against a RU level program.

Strength and conditioning has leveled the playing field in those physical aspects. We might not be as fast (although must faster than we used to be) as the elite teams but they're not stronger than us.

Who was the old guy playing Right Tackle blocking in the second level # 70 I think was his number. Saw some things I didn’t like😁

We looked like we belonged on the same field. And imagine if we played them like this with Powell healthy and them without Henderson, like a few teams had the benefit of.
Imagine the targeting call is made on the field. Personal foul - 15 yards in the red zone. New set of downs. No pick 6. Just like Wisconsin - potentially 14 point swing. We lost by 19 and as someone said, there’s no way we go for it on 4th down from our own 20 to gift them their last TD.

Reactions: RUScrew85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT