ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Buffalo Round 1 Game Thread

this program needs some serious analyzing in the off season. there are issues present this season all across the board on the court and off the court. I am concerned about long term health of the program right now and certain things need to be done to prevent a total freefall

the team that deserves is it winning..that is Buffalo..these girls playing their hearts out and RU just pissing away their opportunity

is anyone truly surprised...this play all year..microcosm of the season.

so many players coming up small today. The template for this game should have been established early, I have never seen a RU team play such poor defense in a tourney game.

what a miserable ending...tough to watch these offensive possessions
Spot on response.When Rutgers plays poor defense chances of winning are slim because there is such poor 3 point shooting.

this program needs some serious analyzing in the off season. there are issues present this season all across the board on the court and off the court. I am concerned about long term health of the program right now and certain things need to be done to prevent a total freefall
get some 3 pt shooters, every other team has a few

This team needs a few twerks but it isn't a disaster needing a rebuild.
Too often it gets critized by those who look for every reason to put it down.
Some are honest opinions based on being pessimistic , others because they look down on the program for reasons only they know.

Reactions: ChasRC69
We could not put the ball in the basket, and gave Buffalo a lot of open looks that they made. Oh well. At least we made it back to the NCAA tournament this year. Losing on a 13-2 run to end the game.

This team needs a few twerks but it isn't a disaster needing a rebuild.
Too often it gets critized by those who look for every reason to put it down.
Some are honest opinions based on being pessimistic , others because they look down on the program for reasons only they know.

the idea of compiling a team of transfers is a recipe for disaster...evidence of that this year. In the meantime the freshmen do not get to play because they have to sit and it takes forever for them to develop.

Im down on the program because it hasnt been relevant in 12 years..thats a long time

It’s a win-win situation ...

Win: you won
Lose: avoid 30+ point loss to UCONN

With all the adversity this year (including a player quitting yesterday) it will be amazing if RU overcomes this.
Somebody quit yesterday? What?

I did not get a chance to see that game. I was following it on my phone and when we were up 9 midway through the 3rd, my first thought was, okay ladies, put the pedal to the metal and finish this thing. Did they? Of course not. This team and the way it's coached is mind numbing sometimes. Buffalo goes on a 10-0 run and there goes the game. I saw once we not only gave up a 9 point lead, but were actually down by 2 early in the 4th I knew we were done, based on the way this team played down the stretch.

So for those that watched it, what led to our getting our butts kicked in the 4th? Poor offense? (I'm sure). Bad D? Did we run the '55' all game? What happened?

Buffalo wins 82-71.Terrible defense and no offense in fourth quarter.Fans questioning tournament seeding got a reality check as to how the team was playing down the stretch of the season.

Not the result I wanted today, but there are those who claimed this team wouldn't make it this far.
RU made the dance and proved to be out of step to move p[ast 1st game.
I expect next season to prove to be a different story and a far better run.
Replacing Stasha will be a problem

Reactions: ChasRC69
Stop with the excuses ... RU should never ... ever ... lose to Buffalo.

Lose to UConn. Ok. Lose by 40 to UConn. Ok. Lose to Bufffalo and a 5 foot tall PG? They looked like a JV squad in the 4th.

Man being an RU fan sucks.

As I type RU Losing 8-0 to NW in 4th inning popped up. Ugh.

At least Ash and Nick are still in it with a chance at a Top 10 team finish.

We could not put the ball in the basket, and gave Buffalo a lot of open looks that they made. Oh well. At least we made it back to the NCAA tournament this year. Losing on a 13-2 run to end the game.

The problem was we COULD NOT stop them.

This program appears to have quite a few problems from everywhere. I think if many RU fans were looking at this without the scarlet glasses on, things would be a lot more obvious.

the idea of compiling a team of transfers is a recipe for disaster...evidence of that this year. In the meantime the freshmen do not get to play because they have to sit and it takes forever for them to develop.

Im down on the program because it hasnt been relevant in 12 years..thats a long time
thanks for your honesty and I have no reason to call you a hater, just a pessimist that has trouble thinking RU can improve.
As for relevant the last 12 years
It might not have been one of the top programs and missed a few NCAA invites , but it was a pretty good program that didn't have a lot of institutional support and had to rely on its HC's name to bring in the players, because its facilities wasn't going to.
2008–09 Rutgers 21–13 9–7 7th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2009–10 Rutgers 18–15 9–7 T-6th NCAA First round
2010–11 Rutgers 20–13 11–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Rutgers 20–13 10–6 6th NCAA First round
2012–13 Rutgers 16–14 7–9 T-9th
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2014)
2013–14 Rutgers 28–9 12–6 4th WNIT Champions
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Rutgers 23–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2015–16 Rutgers 19–15 7–9 8th WNIT Second Round
2016–17 Rutgers 6-24 3-12 14th
2017–18 Rutgers 20–12 7–9 9th

edit: I do agree that building on transfers is not a good way to make a top 25 program, but filling holes quickly while the younger players get adjusted to the college game makes bringing transfers in sometimes a good idea.
To much of it is a problem , if it keeps sophomores and juniors from playing time

Last edited:
Stop with the excuses ... RU should never ... ever ... lose to Buffalo.

Lose to UConn. Ok. Lose by 40 to UConn. Ok. Lose to Bufffalo and a 5 foot tall PG? They looked like a JV squad in the 4th.

Man being an RU fan sucks.

As I type RU Losing 8-0 to NW in 4th inning popped up. Ugh.

At least Ash and Nick are still in it with a chance at a Top 10 team finish.
Glad we didn't face them on the men's side...could have been swept swept by buff this year in Fball, mens and women's bball.
Shameful for. B1G program.

This program appears to have quite a few problems from everywhere. I think if many RU fans were looking at this without the scarlet glasses on, things would be a lot more obvious.
Also had a lot top overcome , but that's no excuse for losing today because the team had enough time to get used to missing players and a HC on leave because of health.

thanks for your honesty and I have no reason to call you a hater, just a pessimist that has trouble thinking RU can improve.
As for relevant the last 12 years
It might not have been one of the top programs and missed a few NCAA invites , but it was a pretty good program that didn't have a lot of institutional support and had to rely on its HC's name to bring in the players, because its facilities wasn't going to.
2008–09 Rutgers 21–13 9–7 7th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2009–10 Rutgers 18–15 9–7 T-6th NCAA First round
2010–11 Rutgers 20–13 11–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Rutgers 20–13 10–6 6th NCAA First round
2012–13 Rutgers 16–14 7–9 T-9th
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2014)
2013–14 Rutgers 28–9 12–6 4th WNIT Champions
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Rutgers 23–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2015–16 Rutgers 19–15 7–9 8th WNIT Second Round
2016–17 Rutgers 6-24 3-12 14th
2017–18 Rutgers 20–12 7–9 9th

I knew there was a sweet 16 thrown in there not sure of year

but this program has JUST TWO NCAA wins in the last 10 years despite having quite a few WNBA players and top recruits

Reactions: shields
I did not get a chance to see that game. I was following it on my phone and when we were up 9 midway through the 3rd, my first thought was, okay ladies, put the pedal to the metal and finish this thing. Did they? Of course not. This team and the way it's coached is mind numbing sometimes. Buffalo goes on a 10-0 run and there goes the game. I saw once we not only gave up a 9 point lead, but were actually down by 2 early in the 4th I knew we were done, based on the way this team played down the stretch.

So for those that watched it, what led to our getting our butts kicked in the 4th? Poor offense? (I'm sure). Bad D? Did we run the '55' all game? What happened?

combo of poor offense, turnovers..the usual, except this time the defense was dreadful, Buffalo took it right to RU and we were matadors

Reactions: ladyknight33
I knew there was a sweet 16 thrown in there not sure of year

but this program has JUST TWO NCAA wins in the last 10 years despite having quite a few WNBA players and top recruits
that is a problem and having those WNBA players shows RU can bring in talent, but the facilities might have keep the program from having the depth needed.

combo of poor offense, turnovers..the usual, except this time the defense was dreadful, Buffalo took it right to RU and we were matadors
Wow, just wow. Thank god, I missed this game. This team can delight, like when they played as a complete unit early and in the middle of the season. And this team can really disappoint. This is especially after the issues with the two players and then Stringer's health, this team imploded only to find their footing and regrouped. It's really disappointing how uneven this team turned out to be.

I'm hoping with Davenport and Alexis coming in, this team can become more complete, although I would really like to see new blood coaching this team and see a real offense that moves and screens and cuts and scores and doesn't need to press all of the time in order to create offense off of it. I know that's not in the cards right now, but it could be in two years.

They totally ran out of gas in the fourth. Shots were short and turnovers mounted. Losing Noga in the first half didn’t help an already thin bench. If Calhoun really quit yesterday, that’s a really rotten thing to do at this juncture of the season.

We will miss Carey next year for sure. Hoping the new additions learn fast. Zippy and Noga got lots of quality time this season plus you have Singleton and Sanders coming back from injury. We need some more depth so hopefully we pick up another player or two to supplement the bench in the offseason.

I never expected this team to have the season it did so. While I’m disappointed with the final outcome, they weathered a ton of adversity to make the NCAAs after flaming our last season.

Wow, just wow. Thank god, I missed this game. This team can delight, like when they played as a complete unit early and in the middle of the season. And this team can really disappoint. This is especially after the issues with the two players and then Stringer's health, this team imploded only to find their footing and regrouped. It's really disappointing how uneven this team turned out to be.

I'm hoping with Davenport and Alexis coming in, this team can become more complete, although I would really like to see new blood coaching this team and see a real offense that moves and screens and cuts and scores and doesn't need to press all of the time in order to create offense off of it. I know that's not in the cards right now, but it could be in two years.
"I would really like to see new blood coaching this team"
If Vivian doesn't return , I think today's game will be the deciding factor of Hobbs bringing in new blood.

"I would really like to see new blood coaching this team"
If Vivian doesn't return , I think today's game will be the deciding factor of Hobbs bringing in new blood.
Madhat, I don't know about that. Didn't we hear that C Viv. is returning next year? I'm looking forward to the new players we're adding. I am hoping this team is even better than this squad.

They totally ran out of gas in the fourth. Shots were short and turnovers mounted. Losing Noga in the first half didn’t help an already thin bench. If Calhoun really quit yesterday, that’s a really rotten thing to do at this juncture of the season.

We will miss Carey next year for sure. Hoping the new additions learn fast. Zippy and Noga got lots of quality time this season plus you have Singleton and Sanders coming back from injury. We need some more depth so hopefully we pick up another player or two to supplement the bench in the offseason.

I never expected this team to have the season it did so. While I’m disappointed with the final outcome, they weathered a ton of adversity to make the NCAAs after flaming our last season.
Thanks for this. I didn't know Calhoun wasn't on the team. What the heck is going on with this team? Also, Arella is back and I really like her game.

I hope this team can be a cohesive unit next year, return to the tourney and go deep into it.

Madhat, I don't know about that. Didn't we hear that C Viv. is returning next year? I'm looking forward to the new players we're adding. I am hoping this team is even better than this squad.

RU MAN,
That's what's planned from what I remember being said.
But she also was supposed to return after the regular season was over in time for the B1G Tourney .
So I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't return if her health is still questionable.
Hoping health doesn't force her to retire, much rather have her decide if she come back or retire without health being an issue.

I'm sure with this time off because of her health ,she has a good idea if retirement would suit her or not when she gets back to full health and if coaching again wouldn't cause a health problem to flare up

Reactions: RU MAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT