ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling NCAA Championship Results & Update Thread (All Sessions)

So Ash and Smith will be wrestling in Session 4 tonight at 8. If Ash wins he's an All-American. Smith still needs two more wins.

Originally posted by RU23:
So Ash and Smith will be wrestling in Session 4 tonight at 8. If Ash wins he's an All-American. Smith still needs two more wins.
Smith will be wrestling in Session 4 tonight if he wins another Session 3 bout this afternoon.

Thanks Tango,

You have been very helpful as I try to keep up with everything at work

Originally posted by Tango Two:

Smith will be wrestling in Session 4 tonight if he wins another Session 3 bout this afternoon.
My bad, thought they only wrestle one match per session but that makes more sense.

Spineless NCAA . BULLSHIT ruling on not overruling Realbuto win because Miller should've challenged?!?!? Black eye on the tourney & wrestling when an official scorer fukdsup & NCAA doesn't change it in arbitration.

I agree, the tourny committee should have and more importantly, the last sentence in their rule book gave them an opening, so they COULD have done the right thing. The unfortunate , screwed Kent wrestler was let down first by the mat ref, then his coaches (for not protesting ASAP), the matside scoring table and finally the gutless NCAA tourny committee who met for about an hour ruling on this . Sad.
Originally posted by Leonard23:
Spineless NCAA . BULLSHIT ruling on not overruling Realbuto win because Miller should've challenged?!?!? Black eye on the tourney & wrestling when an official scorer fukdsup & NCAA doesn't change it in arbitration.

I understand everyone's feelings on this, and it really is a shame for the Kent kid, but I don't think the decision was a surprise. The decision could have and should have been challenged immediately. An interesting question is whether they would have done the right thing even in that scenario.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
I agree, the tourny committee should have and more importantly, the last sentence in their rule book gave them an opening, so they COULD have done the right thing. The unfortunate , screwed Kent wrestler was let down first by the mat ref, then his coaches (for not protesting ASAP), the matside scoring table and finally the gutless NCAA tourny committee who met for about an hour ruling on this . Sad.
Originally posted by Leonard23:
I hope this absolutely blows up on the news circuit. It's incredible that they didn't change it.

Question from a wrestling novice. Do the wrestlers make weight once before the tournament and then they are good for all rounds/days? And how do they get their strength back between rounds especially when wrestling more than once in a session? Thanks in advance.

Dammit. Perrotti loses to a kid he beat 15-0, Theo loses to a kid he beat, and now Smith loses to a kid he beat twice.

Beat him 2 years ago. Diffrent wrestlers now. Smith doesn't explode in closing seconds of matches. Costs him atleast 5 matches a year.

No matter what Ash does this was a very poor tourn. Why dont our guys win here? 4 points with 5 guys is pathetic. To many let downs

I'm not very knowledgeable technically, but I thought Billy took a pretty good shot on the sequence that led to the final takedown. Or was I looking at that through scarlet colored glasses?

I agree ! Smith wrestled hard, and had a shot at the end, oh well, decent tourny for Smith.

Also , just heard Eblen of Mizzou was DQ'd at end of his match for a head butt, and cost Mizzou all the points he had accrued for Mizzou up to and including that match, total of 6 points I think. Could cost Mizzou the National Championship.
Originally posted by Skull83:

I'm not very knowledgeable technically, but I thought Billy took a pretty good shot on the sequence that led to the final takedown. Or was I looking at that through scarlet colored glasses?

not the best tournament but A LOT of guys didn't preform their best. been a tournament full of upsets and unexpected results.

Ash looks very good, i was very impressed by his win against Horan. Port is just elite and his eventual finals match against Steiber should be great. it will also be the final match of the season, as they will likely start finals at 149. which is fine by me because it will be a snorefest, especially if Tsirtsis is there.

I've seen Cruz a few times this year. He has crazy length and get cradle and pin kids from out of no where. he is very dangerous but Ash can beat him. i dont want to start counting chickens but Ashnault actually has a manageable path to the consi finals. he could also lose to anyone left in the bracket but things are set up as good as you could hope for.

DelVecchio had a great season to make the tournament, just ran into 2 really god wrestlers who are better. he had a great learning curve though. a redshirt year might do him a lot of good, then who knows.

Theobold also had a great year making the tournament and a nice upset win over a seeded opponent. i think he is better than Perez and had more in the tank, just gave up too much too early. Perez had a slick hi-c and is no slouch. not sure if a red shirt is in the works for Theo but i think another year of development couldnt hurt before his senior season.

Perrotti obviously underpreformed. he has great explosive moves and a very nice arsenal but he did not finish 3/4 of the moves he should have. i'm sure he is more upset about the tournament than anyone. i will trust Pritzlaff to get him where he needs to be for next year and i look forward to seeing how he finishes his career.

Smith wrestled a top 20-16 season and finished in the round of 16. its hard to tell with heavyweights but i think more muscle is needed to get him over the hump. he is close.

disappointing tournament, perhaps. i think it's been a hell of a season and here's to hoping it lasts one more day.

As a team, we left quite a few wins out there that were definitely winnable, which can be said about virtually every team competing.

Not a greedy guy by any means, but would have liked to see Theo, Perrotti and Smith carry over those regular season victories at the tournament. Coaches always tell you to leave it all on the mat, and I think in some instances, that didn't happen, but all the same, the guys wrestled hard, for the most part, which is all you can really ask for.

We'll be an older, more experienced team next year. Looking for the kids and coaches to build on this season and do even better next year, which I think is fair.

Terrific summary ! I'm excited as hell for Ashnault tonight, can you imagine how he, his family and the rest of the team is for him tonight!? lol . Will kill some time watching NCAA basketball, sip a few beers, and get a pizza delivered until 8pm tonight !

Originally posted by Jaroslav Hasek:
not the best tournament but A LOT of guys didn't preform their best. been a tournament full of upsets and unexpected results.

Ash looks very good, i was very impressed by his win against Horan. Port is just elite and his eventual finals match against Steiber should be great. it will also be the final match of the season, as they will likely start finals at 149. which is fine by me because it will be a snorefest, especially if Tsirtsis is there.

I've seen Cruz a few times this year. He has crazy length and get cradle and pin kids from out of no where. he is very dangerous but Ash can beat him. i dont want to start counting chickens but Ashnault actually has a manageable path to the consi finals. he could also lose to anyone left in the bracket but things are set up as good as you could hope for.

DelVecchio had a great season to make the tournament, just ran into 2 really god wrestlers who are better. he had a great learning curve though. a redshirt year might do him a lot of good, then who knows.

Theobold also had a great year making the tournament and a nice upset win over a seeded opponent. i think he is better than Perez and had more in the tank, just gave up too much too early. Perez had a slick hi-c and is no slouch. not sure if a red shirt is in the works for Theo but i think another year of development couldnt hurt before his senior season.

Perrotti obviously underpreformed. he has great explosive moves and a very nice arsenal but he did not finish 3/4 of the moves he should have. i'm sure he is more upset about the tournament than anyone. i will trust Pritzlaff to get him where he needs to be for next year and i look forward to seeing how he finishes his career.

Smith wrestled a top 20-16 season and finished in the round of 16. its hard to tell with heavyweights but i think more muscle is needed to get him over the hump. he is close.

disappointing tournament, perhaps. i think it's been a hell of a season and here's to hoping it lasts one more day.

Kent coach on video saying he told the scoring table and ref they had score wrong. They refused to look at the tape.

LINK

Hopefully Ash gets one more W to get to AA status. Other than him I think its very hard not to draw the conclusion that the team underperformed. Not a lot of quality losses except perhaps for Del Vecchio who was not expected to do much here. I don't care what is happening to others in this tournament to justify our performance or lack thereof. We can take some solace in that 4 of our 5 can earn their way back next year but we still have work to do to try and be at our peak for the end of season tournaments. Not sure what the solution is for this.

Originally posted by rufeelinit:
Hopefully Ash gets one more W to get to AA status. Other than him I think its very hard not to draw the conclusion that the team underperformed. Not a lot of quality losses except perhaps for Del Vecchio who was not expected to do much here. I don't care what is happening to others in this tournament to justify our performance or lack thereof. We can take some solace in that 4 of our 5 can earn their way back next year but we still have work to do to try and be at our peak for the end of season tournaments. Not sure what the solution is for this.
Won't all 5 be back next year?

Pulling for Ash to AA for you all.

Just as an FYI, I believe NJ had the third highest number of kids who qualified for the NCAA tournament. PA was #1, OH #2 and NJ #3. As you know, lots of in-state talent and your move to the B1G can really help you keep a lot of it at home. Be a big deal if Ash could outwrestle his seed.

Originally posted by rufeelinit:
Won't all 5 be back next year?
I thought Smith was done although now that I think about you might be right. When there was discussion about Camp moving to HWT I think there was talk that Smith would still be in the room.

This post was edited on 3/20 5:55 PM by rufeelinit

Outside of Perrotti's performance, I don't know how anyone can be disappointed. Everyone else did as expected. We would've needed magical runs from DelVecchio, Theobold & Smith to AA. It's unrealistic to think someone shouldn't lose to an opponent they beat by 1, 2 or 3 points or 2 years ago. Close matches can go either way & can be avenged. Techs should not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT