ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano would've landed one of the QBs

On page one, someone mentioned that they had RU penciled in for 9 wins in 2014.....say what??......there was me and perhaps one other person that felt confident we would finish 8-4 last year and I had RU starting 5-0 before meeting Michigan....lots of people here are revisionists and had RU at 4-8 and 5-7 but not suddenly expect RU to beat out Urban Meyer for recruits with Schiano, when he couldn't beat out Wannstedt at average Pitt for kids 5 years ago.....

I didn't go through page 2 of the thread, but people forget that Robb Smith was the DC under Flood in his first year to make a good defense, great....he also did wonders at Arkansas this year as well. Smith was as accomplished a DC as Schiano ever was and will probably land a HC gig very soon....there is no Robb Smith if Schiano is here and Smith is a better DC, period.

As far as RU and winning/perception, it starts and ends with Joe Rossi, period. The pieces are in place with the exception of DT, which Schiano neglected recruiting size for, that would have been a 4th year junior or 5th year senior this year.

The only viable argument would be that Schiano would stop Ohio State, Wisconsin defensively and left the offense alone enough or not mettle enough to land a QB, after ruining Savage and others....which is also laughable as well.....and that Schaino would have actually hired Fridge as an OC...are we really saying that Schiano would have caved in and had Robb Smith and Ralph Friedgen on his staff, while earning 2M per year at the same time?? Really folks???

Let's just stop the shenanigans and watch Russo verbal tomorrow for RU and keep it moving.....the rest is absurd at best....

Pretty sure GS had the #1 D in America at Miami. Our D in 2006 and 2009 was highly ranked. Schiano took guys like DMac with no D1 offers and made them first rounders. Our ST prowess started under him.

If you really think GS would not have beaten the teams we did....Navy he beat several times, Edsall several times, he lost one bowl game ever and it was a close one, and you know he would have betaen TTFP too.

We are getting BE classes in the B1G. For every Turay and Martin (GS got plenty of two and three stars to be coached up) there are 10 more question marks at every skill position.

What I want to know from the Flood defenders is what have you seen to date that indicates we can win our division any time in the near future based on recruiting and results to date. Because I haven't seen it. Our recruiting is among the worst in the conference nevermind losing players to Temple and Cuse.

What I also want to know is how a team of two and three star players coached by Flood is going to beat four and five star players coached by Harbaugh and Meyer or even three stars coached by D'Antonio.

Sorry but I had to go to work.

If you're not giving him Rettig even tho as you said he had other schools after him? Ok, then you only want to consider what fits an agenda?

Nova only came to RU after Pitt fired their staff when RU hired the 2 guys who were his recruiters, Hafley and the OC. You also can't just choose to ignore offers such as Laviano's. What kind of discussion is it when you set the rules to suit your argument. A BS one, that's what.

Here is the problem in a nutshell.

The 2016 class will likely close without a QB with a P5 offer.

From Mike Teel until 2016 this was not something that was a problem- despite the BE affiliation.

I think it is quite reasonable for our fans to ask why that is in the Big Ten, after a decent season, especially when these QBs are not exactly committing to Bama or ND but rather peer programs.

I do not understand why some feel questioning recruiting under Flood is verboten. Can someone explain why?

On page one, someone mentioned that they had RU penciled in for 9 wins in 2014.....say what??......there was me and perhaps one other person that felt confident we would finish 8-4 last year and I had RU starting 5-0 before meeting Michigan....lots of people here are revisionists and had RU at 4-8 and 5-7 but not suddenly expect RU to beat out Urban Meyer for recruits with Schiano, when he couldn't beat out Wannstedt at average Pitt for kids 5 years ago.....

I didn't go through page 2 of the thread, but people forget that Robb Smith was the DC under Flood in his first year to make a good defense, great....he also did wonders at Arkansas this year as well. Smith was as accomplished a DC as Schiano ever was and will probably land a HC gig very soon....there is no Robb Smith if Schiano is here and Smith is a better DC, period.

As far as RU and winning/perception, it starts and ends with Joe Rossi, period. The pieces are in place with the exception of DT, which Schiano neglected recruiting size for, that would have been a 4th year junior or 5th year senior this year.

The only viable argument would be that Schiano would stop Ohio State, Wisconsin defensively and left the offense alone enough or not mettle enough to land a QB, after ruining Savage and others....which is also laughable as well.....and that Schaino would have actually hired Fridge as an OC...are we really saying that Schiano would have caved in and had Robb Smith and Ralph Friedgen on his staff, while earning 2M per year at the same time?? Really folks???

Let's just stop the shenanigans and watch Russo verbal tomorrow for RU and keep it moving.....the rest is absurd at best....

Pull up the prediction thread and look. I hear you can do that now. I had 9 wins. I've had our record pretty much on the money since Gregs last year except for Floods disaster season.

To the OP's post
NOT!
NOWAY!
YER KIDDIN RIGHT!
YEA AND I GOTTA A BRIDGE IN BROOKLYN...
SO ON, ECT...

Please, please, please, for the love of God stop saying we won a Big East Championship. The SAME PEOPLE who laughed at UCONN are now using our 4-way tie as something to hang their hat on.

You can hate Schiano all you want and you can love Flood all you want, but let's be honest about that championship.... if you EVER criticized UCONN for bringing theirs up, don't bring RU's up.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Please, please, please, for the love of God stop saying we won a Big East Championship. The SAME PEOPLE who laughed at UCONN are now using our 4-way tie as something to hang their hat on.

You can hate Schiano all you want and you can love Flood all you want, but let's be honest about that championship.... if you EVER criticized UCONN for bringing theirs up, don't bring RU's up.

As much as I think many here underappreciate Flood as an X and O coach, I agree recruiting is not what I'd have expected although I defend him on the QB discussion here.

I also agree that the BE thing is overblown. I feel the same about the Lambert

Harvey Harman would have brought in better QBs than Schiano.
So would have Dr. John Bateman and don't forget Frank Burns , who probably was the best recruiter RU ever had

Harvey Harman would have brought in better QBs than Schiano.
So would have Dr. John Bateman and don't forget Frank Burns , who probably was the best recruiter RU ever had

Could you provide some facts to back your post ?
Where were Bateman's and Burns' recruiting classes ranked ?
How many four-star guys did they get ?
How did they do with keeping the elite players in New Jersey home ?

I'm sorry after the 2006 season, 10 wins, bowl champions, and finished ranked 12th in the country and NJ HS snubbed us. Sometimes you can't put all the blame on the coaches.

why are people still talking about one good season Almost 10 years ago? U wonder why these top local recruits NEVER pick Rutgers? We're talking like we're entitled to something, this is 100% on the athletic's budget and facilities. What big time coach (GS included) is going to accept being paid $1 mil a year when they will have 10 other offers for 4x that amount? Kyle flood is a fantastic game day coach, unfortunately, no he can't recruit against the Urban Meyer's, Nick Saban's and James Franklin's of the world. We had 2, maybe 3 classes with GS that posters on here would consider 'Good' so I'm not sure why some think that every year it was bombs over Baghdad in recruiting with GS

I also laugh at the posters who say since we can't recruit New Jersey, we should recruit nationally, I'm sorry but do u really think that will change anything? First of all we don't have the budget to do it and second off, all the kids from the mid-west, west coast, half of them haven't even heard of Rutgers. Our recruiting classes would actually get worse. We can't even recruit kids from one state over with a TTFP offer, how exactly are we supposed to convince a kid from the Midwest with offers from Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Alabama that they have a better chance of winning a championship at Rutgers plus they won't be able to play in front of their families and friends...

Last edited:
Could you provide some facts to back your post ?
Where were Bateman's and Burns' recruiting classes ranked ?
How many four-star guys did they get ?
How did they do with keeping the elite players in New Jersey home ?

Did they rank recruiting classes back then?
Also the way RU FB was back then was more of a D-1AA program then in with the big boys and you must judge recruiting for those types of
programs differently then if considered a P-5 program ( or even the BE of past)
Harvey brought in a QB that wound up an honorable All-American . QB's name was Frank Burns
Bateman brought in players in that type of environment and that's why I feel Dr.John could have gotten better QB ( on the whole) then Kyle is doing or the ones Greg did).
Frank Burns' first recruiting class (1973) was enough proof for me that Frank in similar circumstances as Greg ( after 2004, before deserves a pass) and Kyle had/have would show Burns a better recruiter.
All three I mentioned didn't have the resource Greg and Kyle did and that also counts when talking recruiting.

Might be apples and oranges, but that's all this ( could do better) thread is .

Wake me up in Feb., and I will give you my opinion on how Flood is recruiting this cycle.

2 minute mark. "Buccaneer football"

Wow, Putting your faith in Keith Olberman's opinion. That says all I need to know about where you are coming from. Olberman has been fired a lot more than Schiano.
I like how you spin Schiano being an NFL coach as a negative, Kyle Flood will never be a head coach in the NFL or at another P5 college.

Did they rank recruiting classes back then?
Also the way RU FB was back then was more of a D-1AA program then in with the big boys and you must judge recruiting for those types of
programs differently then if considered a P-5 program ( or even the BE of past)
Harvey brought in a QB that wound up an honorable All-American . QB's name was Frank Burns
Bateman brought in players in that type of environment and that's why I feel Dr.John could have gotten better QB ( on the whole) then Kyle is doing or the ones Greg did).
Frank Burns' first recruiting class (1973) was enough proof for me that Frank in similar circumstances as Greg ( after 2004, before deserves a pass) and Kyle had/have would show Burns a better recruiter.
All three I mentioned didn't have the resource Greg and Kyle did and that also counts when talking recruiting.

Might be apples and oranges, but that's all this ( could do better) thread is .

Toran, Alexander, Pickel, Cherry, Hughes, Mangiero, Dorn, Howard, Smith, Steward, and so on. Considering what RU football was back then the staffs were very good recruiters.

with every passing year GS is becoming more and more of a legend, just like MJ, he never had a bad game and won the NBA title every year. People here were sick of GS by the time he left, he was great for the program but his time was done.

Schiano was what we needed at the time, I wish Fllod all the luck in the world. But if he cant get it done I done want GS back, never thought he was a good game coach, just my opinion. Lets be honest if PP wasn't fired by the Cuse, we would have never got Ray Ray, GS didn't close on him he was handed to us. Sometimes its good to be lucky :)

This video is just part of the reason why Greg is not welcomed in the NFL.

If the move succeeded in causing a turnover and another shot at scoring, Greg would have been called a genius ( which he isn't)
But it's his game-day coaching that that is holding him back from another Pro HC position and his testing the waters , behind the scenes,
at the college level for a HC position that keeps him off the sidelines while still collecting his salary from the Bucs.
Lovie hasn't proved Schiano blew it as the Buc's HC . because Lovie didn't prove he could make that team better ( so far)
by posting a 2-14 record last season.

Pro teams will stay away from Greg as a HC , but hire him as a DC.
When it comes to the pros hiring a HC, if the team thinks someone will make them a winner, rushing the V formation isn't going to stop
Schiano from being hired.
Also won't stop him from getting a Pro DC position, if the HC feels Schiano will give him an edge.

Reactions: redking
Flood's college winning % .590

Schiano's % .504

That's all that matters. Recruiting doesn't mean anything if you go .500. And I don't want to hear throw out this year or that year or blah blah blah blah. So save it. We have heard all the excuses. Winning matters. Period. End of story.

Stop-the-Madness1_zpsbagag09v.jpg
agree with this

Toran, Alexander, Pickel, Cherry, Hughes, Mangiero, Dorn, Howard, Smith, Steward, and so on. Considering what RU football was back then the staffs were very good recruiters.

I saw all of those guys you list play back in the day. Obviously Rutgers has had some quality players over the years. But the question had to do with attracting top recruits to play here. How many battles for elite prospects....particularly New Jersey elite prospects...did those guys win ? Yeah, I know the answer...none.
Say what you want about Flood's recruiting or Schiano's recruiting, but the truth is that Rutgers has had almost zero success at attracting top-level prospects to play football here....EVER.
Anybody here remember Mario Verduzco ?

Schiano did worse in his first three years than Shea.
Schiano was a program builder and created excitement in the program. Flood doesn't seem to have that ability. That might be the biggest difference between the two. Great guys but you get what you pay for.

The biggest difference is one has been unemployed for 17 months. One hasn't.

And this

Schiano's % .504

And this

Schiano's % .504

When you're getting paid, you can afford to be choosey (as long as the check is coming) about going back to work.
So the 17 months of unemployment isn't like it looks .
When the Buc's money runs out we'll see how long Greg stays lounging around .

My guess is a pro DC job or a Mid Major HC position, because Schiano hasn't been just sitting at home collecting checks,
he has been networking at coaching clinics and his name has been out there when there is speculation about who might
wind up as a major program's HC.
But if push came to shove, wouldn't be surprised if a major program made a run at him to be their DC.

And this

Schiano's % .504
And Schiano is paid more than twice what Flood is paid. Without working. Your hatred of Schiano lacks understanding onto why Schiano isn't working. But keep you stupid so called facts coming.
Schiano built a program and coached the greatest team in Rutgers history.
What has Flood been great at besides being a really nice man?

If the move succeeded in causing a turnover and another shot at scoring, Greg would have been called a genius ( which he isn't)
But it's his game-day coaching that that is holding him back from another Pro HC position and his testing the waters , behind the scenes,
at the college level for a HC position that keeps him off the sidelines while still collecting his salary from the Bucs.
Lovie hasn't proved Schiano blew it as the Buc's HC . because Lovie didn't prove he could make that team better ( so far)
by posting a 2-14 record last season.

Pro teams will stay away from Greg as a HC , but hire him as a DC.
When it comes to the pros hiring a HC, if the team thinks someone will make them a winner, rushing the V formation isn't going to stop
Schiano from being hired.
Also won't stop him from getting a Pro DC position, if the HC feels Schiano will give him an edge.

Please. We both know that Greg is light years away from being interviewed for an NFL DC position.

Were you one of the posters saying that Belichek would hire GS as his DC as soon as Tampa canned him ?

Even though Greg resurrected RU FB from the ashes he is the poster boy for the Peter Principal among FB HC's. His relationship with the Pats HC appears to be more about quid pro quo for Greg putting Steven Belichek on the RU FB team in return for the Dad promoting GS as a serious NFL HC candidate to Tampa and other NFL teams.

Let's ask the question a different way. Let's say Rutgers got built by someone else in the 2000's and Schiano took over in 2012 as his first HC position. Would he have had a better 3 years? Not the Schiano with 10 years experience but in his years 1-4 starting with our team in 2012. I don't think he would have been able to hold that first class together if you ask me. And he would have lost more games and thus the same crap would have happened with him. JH will still be hating on him and what a fracking mess we would really have.

Please. We both know that Greg is light years away from being interviewed for an NFL DC position.

Were you one of the posters saying that Belichek would hire GS as his DC as soon as Tampa canned him ?

Even though Greg resurrected RU FB from the ashes he is the poster boy for the Peter Principal among FB HC's. His relationship with the Pats HC appears to be more about quid pro quo for Greg putting Steven Belichek on the RU FB team in return for the Dad promoting GS as a serious NFL HC candidate to Tampa and other NFL teams.

Could have stated that, so won't say you're wrong, but say that's a different issue.
Maybe you feel that strengthens your POV, I don't and feel that with the money Schiano was and still is getting from the Bucs, he can afford to be choosey and wait for the right job to come his way or the money run out, which ever comes first

Schiano has a great reputation as a Defensive Coordinator and your Belichek scenario only shows your dislike of Schiano, not knowledge of the relationship. between the two coaches.
OSU's Meyers and Schiano are friendly , so don't think Schiano doesn't have supporters in the coaching ranks.
Just like some Pro HCs probably have a good relationship with Greg and if the need arose, would hire him as their DC.
Of course , since you can't please everyone, there are probably some Pro HCs ( maybe one in NY) that dislike Schiano.and wouldn't hire him.

Greg has until the Buc's checks stop coming till we see where he stands as a DC in pro HC;s minds or a mid major looking for a HC,
maybe even a p-5 program in need of rebuilding, but in any case, doubt Greg will be unemployed when he decides time to get back into coaching.

Let's ask the question a different way. Let's say Rutgers got built by someone else in the 2000's and Schiano took over in 2012 as his first HC position. Would he have had a better 3 years? Not the Schiano with 10 years experience but in his years 1-4 starting with our team in 2012. I don't think he would have been able to hold that first class together if you ask me. And he would have lost more games and thus the same crap would have happened with him. JH will still be hating on him and what a fracking mess we would really have.
So let's totally ignore what he did do??
Some of you Johnny come lately are completely clueless about the miracle of what he and Mulcahy did do. Without those two Rutgers isn't in the Big Ten. Rutgers isn't in the Big Ten because of Kyle Flood and Flood so far has not taken advantage of becoming a Big Ten member

Reactions: j10oreo

Without a doubt he would have. How can everyone be so blind?!?! This shouldn't even be a discussion.

So let's totally ignore what he did do??
Some of you Johnny come lately are completely clueless about the miracle of what he and Mulcahy did do. Without those two Rutgers isn't in the Big Ten. Rutgers isn't in the Big Ten because of Kyle Flood and Flood so far has not taken advantage of becoming a Big Ten member

JFC - I have said a million times that I would be 100% behind a fracking statue or naming the bubble or even the stadium after the man for what he did. But THAT WAS NOT my question...

JFC - I have said a million times that I would be 100% behind a fracking statue or naming the bubble or even the stadium after the man for what he did. But THAT WAS NOT my question...
As far as your question it's as bad as ignoring what he did building a program. Some of you think he was the worst coach in the world. He had his flaws, as does Flood but his strengths especially on defense are far superior than anything that Flood does or has done. Flood's best trait is people and most of the media loves him as a person. It doesn't make him a better coach. Plus if Schiano didn't have to wear 10 hats (some of his doing) he may have been better on game day.

Without a doubt he would have. How can everyone be so blind?!?! This shouldn't even be a discussion.

I'm sure there would've been a lot of doubts, especially with how he would've handled the offense. I'm sure he would've done great with the defense, but even he couldn't handle the juggernaut that was Ricky Santos & UNH. Plus who knows how he would've handled the QB controversy. Remember, we're extrapolating GS as a new 1st time HC, not as the program builder/savior.

Honestly, this whole thread is counterproductive. Making assumptions GS would've done gotten JG or DH. Heck, his bold & brash attitude could've just as ruled us out before the final cut. Whether or not he could have doesn't matter. He's not here and he probably won't be here in the near future (doubt JH would go with a re-tread and would probably have more $$$ to get a better hire).

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Could have stated that, so won't say you're wrong, but say that's a different issue.
Maybe you feel that strengthens your POV, I don't and feel that with the money Schiano was and still is getting from the Bucs, he can afford to be choosey and wait for the right job to come his way or the money run out, which ever comes first

Schiano has a great reputation as a Defensive Coordinator and your Belichek scenario only shows your dislike of Schiano, not knowledge of the relationship. between the two coaches.

Not to be argumentative with you MADHAT1, but Greg was only a DC for 2 seasons at Miami, where he inherited the players he coached on that defense from the previous DC there.

As far as being choosey about HC positions until the Bucs severance pay runs out I think we both know that his coaching opportunities are declining with each year he is inactive in FB.

you think he wouldn't be able to hold the class together....are you kidding me....I suppose you also are giving Flood much credit for keeping the class...in one week they weren't going anywhere

the revisionist history towards GS makes my head spin. I wish rivals had archives going back so the slew of hypocrites could be called on the carpet. I was not a big GS fan so I know the criticism I took for criticizing him. I see TONS of flip flopping. Its humerous

We'll see what happens when that Buc money runs out.
You feel he'll get no major offers , I think he will.
I won't claim to be right if he lands a Mid major HC position, nor will I say I'm wrong about if he gets a mid major HC position.
If he gets a pro or major college DC position, I'll be right, in my opinion that he was being choosey.
If not , will admit I was wrong. I'm not ashamed to say I not always right about something and feel its better to admit when you're wrong then try to make excuses or BS about what you said.

I will even venture to say: Schiano might even get hired to rebuild a p-5 school's FB program ( school like Illinois comes to mind), but won't predict that.
Will predict Pro DC or Major College program or mid major HC.
As for Schiano's DC credentials, besides being Miami's DC( in which you give him little credit,) Greg was behind making RU great D presence
( which I give him credit for ) and considered being the real DC. most of the years he was RU's HC.

I feel Schiano has a reputation as a good DC , obviously you feel differently about Schiano's DC ability and reputation as a DC.
When the job hunting starts, we'll see who is closest to the mark.

Does anyone doubt Rutgers would be in a better position today if Schiano never left? Seriously.

Does anyone doubt Rutgers would be in a better position today if Schiano never left? Seriously.

I'd be shocked if less than 99.9999% of the board didn't agree with you. But that wasn't the question that YesRU posed & you answered with no doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT