Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002

Big Ten Tournament​

Saturday, April 27 (Quarterfinals)
No. 5 seed Ohio State at No. 4 seed Michigan
No. 6 seed Rutgers at No. 3 seed Penn State

Thursday, May 2 (Semifinals)
No. 1 seed Johns Hopkins vs. Ohio State-Michigan Winner – 6:30 p.m. ET (BTN)
No. 2 seed Maryland vs. Rutgers-Penn State winner – 8 p.m. p.m. ET (BTN)

Saturday, May 4 (Championship)
Semifinal winners – 8 p.m. ET (BTN)

Reactions: Wagram97
Two consecutive seasons with a 1-4 conference record, and the worst seed in the Big Ten tournament following the run championship weekend. Most of the B1G losses were largely non conpetitive.

This simply can’t continue continue. Program is sliding backwards big time.

Last edited:
Two consecutive season with a 1-4 conference record, and the worst seed in the Big Ten tournament following the run championship weekend. Most of the B1G losses were largely non conpetitive.

Need to chop a few heads the day after the team loses to PSU. Need a new OC who emphasizes off ball movement, cutting, pick setting, etc and a DC who isn't a waste of a staff pick. The offense is a total limp dick in a half field setting.

Two consecutive season with a 1-4 conference record, and the worst seed in the Big Ten tournament following the run championship weekend. Most of the B1G losses were largely non conpetitive.

expectations certainly get higher after you've been to a Final Four. And they haven't been met

Need to chop a few heads the day after the team loses to PSU. Need a new OC who emphasizes off ball movement, cutting, pick setting, etc and a DC who isn't a waste of a staff pick. The offense is a total limp dick in a half field setting.

Isn't this the same staff as the '22 season? What's different? A lot of things. But what you didn't have in '22 was the team's best defenseman make his debut in the 2nd half of the last game of the regular season and the lefty attack scorer who still hasn't made his debut

Reactions: Wagram97
Isn't this the same staff as the '22 season? What's different? A lot of things. But what you didn't have in '22 was the team's best defenseman make his debut in the 2nd half of the last game of the regular season and the lefty attack scorer who still hasn't made his debut
What does that have to do with anything? Ever heard of the terminology continuous improvement? If you aren't innovating at all times, you're becoming obsolete. What was innovative in 2022 is caveman style of play in 2024.

What does that have to do with anything? Ever heard of the terminology continuous improvement? If you aren't innovating at all times, you're becoming obsolete. What was innovative in 2022 is caveman style of play in 2024.

What does that have to do with anything? You think the '22 team would have made the Final Four without Bartolo and Jean-Felix for the season?

Maybe the issue is recruiting and the reliance on the portal for players. The struggle in recruiting is multi-faceted as BB maybe needs more support on the trail, I have heard that some changes may be needed

We sound like JHU fans, who wanted to fire Milliman after he went 4-9 and 7-9.

Keep in mind that prior to the OSU game in '23, we were ranked as high as #6. Well on our way to getting into the playoffs. Then Cameron got hurt, right as conference plays starts. This year it was Kelly - even the anouncers during the games were saying how bad it was that Kelly was out, how good he looked in the scrimmages. However, this year we also had a ton of other players out, including some of the young guns that got playing time last year.

Look at PSU in '21 and '22, you think we beat PSU 22-10 at the end of '21 becuase they had less talent, coach was a bad recruiter. Nope, it was becuase they had been decimated by injuries and only recovered in '23.

Before we go firing coaches, think they deserve at least one year where we hopefully have a healthy team.

That said, think the era of impact transfers is probably over. My guess it's used to fill a specific hole or need, or maybe get lucky with a few depth pieces. Of course Brecht really has had success with the transfers. In my opinion, he's only really had 2 misses, Krummenacher and Sidorski.

That said, think the era of impact transfers is probably over. My guess it's used to fill a specific hole or need, or maybe get lucky with a few depth pieces. Of course Brecht really has had success with the transfers. In my opinion, he's only really had 2 misses, Krummenacher and Sidorski.
I think with most level headed fans this is the concern. Without impact transfers it puts the onus on recruiting and while Stoller and Kurdyla are special, a team needs to go much deeper than that year over year.

Getting back to the original post, what is the hold up on game time and tv?

No idea on the time but it's almost certainly going to be on BTN+. BTN has an Iowa-Nebraska baseball game at 2:15 p.m. and then re-plays of the Maryland and Rutgers spring games on at 6 and 8. I see BTN+ is offering a 1-month free trial, though.
The fascination with replaying spring football is mind boggling to me. Guess it’s cheap.

Women finish 6th as well (next to last). AWFUL spring for RU lax barring a minor miracle in either tournament. Period. Now...we're gonna have up-and-downs, no question, but 2 years in a row neither team makes the tournament with the men coming off a Final 4 run and women getting to the 2nd round in '22:

Men - 51st (out of 73) in team scoring with 6 losses and 1 win vs Top 20 (current)
Women - 63rd (out of 100) with 8 losses to teams in the Top 21 (current)

On the other hand:

Men - 30th Team D
Women - 52nd Team D (not great either....)

I'll leave the analysis to the experts but we know key injuries played a part in this year's issues on the men's side (and maybe the upper classes not performing but they were pre-final 4???) and the women got hit hard by graduation, IIRC? Unfortunately Cassidy Spilis is gone after this year so hopefully there's some scoring and D on the way and/or already in the program.

WLAX%20Tourney%20Bracket.png

Women finish 6th as well (next to last). AWFUL spring for RU lax barring a minor miracle in either tournament. Period. Now...we're gonna have up-and-downs, no question, but 2 years in a row neither team makes the tournament with the men coming off a Final 4 run and women getting to the 2nd round in '22:

Men - 51st (out of 73) in team scoring with 6 losses and 1 win vs Top 20 (current)
Women - 63rd (out of 100) with 8 losses to teams in the Top 21 (current)

On the other hand:

Men - 30th Team D
Women - 52nd Team D (not great either....)

I'll leave the analysis to the experts but we know key injuries played a part in this year's issues on the men's side (and maybe the upper classes not performing but they were pre-final 4???) and the women got hit hard by graduation, IIRC? Unfortunately Cassidy Spilis is gone after this year so hopefully there's some scoring and D on the way and/or already in the program.

WLAX%20Tourney%20Bracket.png

The top 2 seniors on the men's side, Knobloch and Scott (particularly Knobloch) played very well. Knobloch should, at worst, be a 2nd team AA. He really should be 1st team but with the voters and their biases you never know.

The top 2 seniors on the men's side, Knobloch and Scott (particularly Knobloch) played very well. Knobloch should, at worst, be a 2nd team AA. He really should be 1st team but with the voters and their biases you never know.
Never said the 2 of them didn't play very well. How do you feel, however, the JR and SR classes have played overall? That was my point (could have elaborated better). If they were excelling I'd like to think we'd have more than TWO WINS in conference the past 2 seasons. Wouldn't you?

Never said the 2 of them didn't play very well. How do you feel, however, the JR and SR classes have played overall? That was my point (could have elaborated better). If they were excelling I'd like to think we'd have more than TWO WINS in conference the past 2 seasons. Wouldn't you?

They have contributed but not necessarily excelled. I don't see a Stoller or Kurdyla, RU recruits, in those classes. But what is missing this year and last is the impact of the transfers, mostly because of injury. The rope line of '22 had Kamish, a transfer and Bartolo at attack, Penn grad transfer who finished with his Ivy eligibility but not NCAA. They also had the 2 Kirsts. The portal brought a goalie in '23 and a FOGO in "24 but injuries limited additional help. Put it this way, a healthy Rizzotti and Kelly in '24 would have increased the win column.

They have contributed but not necessarily excelled. I don't see a Stoller or Kurdyla, RU recruits, in those classes. But what is missing this year and last is the impact of the transfers, mostly because of injury. The rope line of '22 had Kamish, a transfer and Bartolo at attack, Penn grad transfer who finished with his Ivy eligibility but not NCAA. They also had the 2 Kirsts. The portal brought a goalie in '23 and a FOGO in "24 but injuries limited additional help. Put it this way, a healthy Rizzotti and Kelly in '24 would have increased the win column.
Again, injuries suck, but everyone gets injuries and that’s where the depth comes in to play, agree? So my assumption is that the depth among the two upper classes just wasn’t/isn’t there.

Anyway, bottom line, we have two wins in the last two years in conference play. Both against Michigan (who at least went on to win a big 10 tournament title last year). It’s a problem.

Reactions: rufamily
Again, injuries suck, but everyone gets injuries and that’s where the depth comes in to play, agree? So my assumption is that the depth among the two upper classes just wasn’t/isn’t there.

Anyway, bottom line, we have two wins in the last two years in conference play. Both against Michigan (who at least went on to win a big 10 tournament title last year). It’s a problem.

Depth will not cover injuries of top players. You think depth would have made up for the loss of either Kirst in the NCAA tourney years? The replacements were legit D1 lacrosse players. They just couldn't play at a Scott/Knobloch level, which is what was needed.

Depth will not cover injuries of top players. You think depth would have made up for the loss of either Kirst in the NCAA tourney years? The replacements were legit D1 lacrosse players. They just couldn't play at a Scott/Knobloch level, which is what was needed.
Okay fine, how about this:

2-8 the last 2 seasons. THAT SUCKS. Period.

"Okay fine" You repeat ad finitem what you said and don't give a flying f#ck what's said in response. You can keep on repeating yourself, but I'm done.
If you think building better depth isn’t important I don’t know what to say to you, hence, “okay.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT