ADVERTISEMENT

Shout-out to Chris Laviano

So, are you saying it would have been a poor coaching decision by Flood to insert Rettig in those games against great defenses just to see what he could do?
We already knew what CL was doing, there's no reason to believe Rettig would fare better is a bad answer…lets find out is a better answer.
So, are you saying it would have been a poor coaching decision by Flood to insert Rettig in those games against great defenses just to see what he could do?
We already knew what CL was doing, there's no reason to believe Rettig would fare better is a bad answer…lets find out is a better answer.

" there's no reason to believe Rettig would fare better is a bad answer...lets find out is a better answer."

And This is just your opinion on what is the better answer.

What if Rettig was put in during the second quarter of a game that was still in doubt and proceeded to throw multiple INT's. If you knew that our coach had information that indicated Rettig had a problem with INT's when under duress, would you have wanted to put him out there to just see what happens? I wouldn't.

Soo basically people wanted our coach to play Rettig just so they could see with their own eyes what he could do. I don't want a coach making decisions based on fans wishes. I want him playing the players he feel will be the best, based on all the information. Most of which we don't have.

Reactions: loyalty_policia
" there's no reason to believe Rettig would fare better is a bad answer...lets find out is a better answer."

What if Rettig was put in during the second quarter of a game that was still in doubt and proceeded to throw multiple INT's. If you knew that our coach had information that indicated Rettig had a problem with INT's when under duress, would you have wanted to put him out there to just see what happens? I wouldn't.

Soo basically people wanted our coach to play Rettig just so they could see with their own eyes what he could do. I don't want a coach making decisions based on fans wishes. I want him playing the players he feel will be the best, based on all the information. Most of which we don't have.
First, I commend Chris for his toughness, he was put in a lot of bad situations and fought hard.
The issue with your argument, of course, is every time Rettig got on the field, he delivered at least one big play. When you go five games, or whatever it was, without a TD pass and you see the back up come in a throw NFL type spirals, you can't help but scratch your head and wonder what might happen if he were given a chance. The offense ran the ball well all year. A deep passing attack would have complemented that a lot better than the dink and dunk for ll the reasons already discussed. Rettig offered the ability to play a different style offense, relying more on deeper throws, similar to Nova. Chris can't do that. So, it's fine to try to design an offense around one QB's strengths but when you realize that you can't win with it, you have to try something else. What do you have to lose?

Those games were not in doubt in 2nd quarter.

First, I commend Chris for his toughness, he was put in a lot of bad situations and fought hard.
The issue with your argument, of course, is every time Rettig got on the field, he delivered at least one big play. When you go five games, or whatever it was, without a TD pass and you see the back up come in a throw NFL type spirals, you can't help but scratch your head and wonder what might happen if he were given a chance. The offense ran the ball well all year. A deep passing attack would have complemented that a lot better than the dink and dunk for ll the reasons already discussed. Rettig offered the ability to play a different style offense, relying more on deeper throws, similar to Nova. Chris can't do that. So, it's fine to try to design an offense around one QB's strengths but when you realize that you can't win with it, you have to try something else. What do you have to lose?
Apparently, his job.

The issue with your argument, of course, is every time Rettig got on the field, he delivered at least one big play. When you go five games, or whatever it was, without a TD pass and you see the back up come in a throw NFL type spirals, you can't help but scratch your head and wonder what might happen if he were given a chance.

The offense ran the ball well all year. A deep passing attack would have complemented that a lot better than the dink and dunk for all the reasons already discussed. So, it's fine to try to design an offense around one QB's strengths but when you realize that you can't win with it, you have to try something else. What do you have to lose?

In the end, it's likely Rettig wouldn't be able to handle the rush and would have been ineffective, perhaps notably more so than Laviano. Once everyone realized that, then life gets easier for the QB, the coach and everyone involved. Running a kid out there come hell or high water does nothing but create a lot of bad, ugly emotions. It certainly didn't help Flood or Laviano.

Every coach plays the back up. You owe it to everyone connected to the program to see if there is a spark there, a guy who plays better under the lights than in practice...and in this instance where the kid sitting possessed the kind of arm pro style offenses are built around, it was foolish the way it was handled.

Reactions: FastMJ
LOL he disappears for days until this thread!! Does everyone else not find this rather odd??!!

Slyker - he didn't just have "bad" games against better D's, he had ones that were flat-out abominations, in which he should have been PULLED, much earlier, not only for his own good but for that of the #2 and the team. If you take a closer look at those games, btw, aside from 1st and final drives (versus 2nd/3rd team D's) he had atrociously bad games. Like "how the hell is this guy starting, for anyone, at any level," type games.

That you continually refuse to understand this, quite honestly, makes me think you're either Chris Laviano or a member of his or Flood's family. No doubt, because otherwise you're a complete moron, and I'd like to think that's not the case.

Last edited:
That you continually refuse to understand this, quite honestly, makes me think you're either Chris Laviano or a member of his or Flood's family. No doubt, because otherwise you're a complete moron, and I'd like to think that's not the case.
You must be correct. Practically 100% of the posts he has made on this board all season are to defend Laviano and Flood's handling of the QB position and to put down Rettig. There was one last night talking about seniors leaving Houston's offense after this season and comparing it to RU's after last season. That's it. Zero posts on the coaching situation, be it the termination of Flood or possible candidates for the job.

Overall thoughts on CL:
  • I thought Laviano had a decent season for a RS Sophomore. His numbers aren't that much worse than Nova's when he was a true sophomore (but he also had Carroo). No reason to believe he won't improve for his Junior and Senior year.
  • I suspect that part of the reason he was cemented as the starter is because it seems he had the support of the locker room over Rettig. Not sure if it's because Rettig is a transfer/new and CL has been around for a longer period of time or maybe Rettig has not gel'd with the team for whatever reason. As a players' coach, I think Flood has high value for those types of things and that's why he stuck with him as much as he did.
  • My main issue with Laviano is that I suspect he has an attitude and some growing up to do (I don't accept the "they are kids" argument). His actions on Saturday and social media posts really exposed that the fans take up too much real estate in his head. He gains nothing by locking horns with the fanbase or allowing their reactions to make him hostile. If he wants to be a leader, he needs to stay focused on his team winning and not maintaining the adoration of the fanbase.
  • I think some of the attitude stuff stems from the "us vs. the world" mentality the team seemed to adopt this season and that he and the rest of the team have been insulated from the realities of the outside world around them. I would guess more than a few of these guys were genuinely surprised when Flood was canned at the end of the year. I am hoping we get a coach who can help straighten it out.
I'm not inside the locker rooms, so they're just my speculations

Reactions: JoeRU0304

because flood has such a track record of success, huh?

summer camp: we have two great quarterbacks, the competition is too close to call! i can't name a starter!!!
season, where laviano is pretty much garbage: laviano is our starter. he gives us the best chance to go 1-0. rettig will not be seeing any meaningful game time.

wtf? also, does anyone else find it weird that not only is slyker likely a flood or laviano family member, but the OP of this thread is literally calling him/herself LOYALTY POLICE? unbelievable.

oh my. It was so damn obvious Slyker. Flood's stubbornness actually hurt two QB's. Laviano could have used a break now and then to get his composure.

honestly, it probably is best for all if Laviano transfers to a mid-major or lower level...
don't give me he was good against MD...he wasn't...

That was one hell of a season considering everything that this team had going against it, combined with the tough schedule. It has to take a lot to keep coming back for more every day, and I for one, greatly appreciate it.

And an even bigger shout out for playing for Rutgers when you know guys like Spare130(featured below) are in the crowd rooting against you. That takes a maturity, composure, and class that most won't find in multiple lifetimes. Kudos again!

Is this a joke? The kid acted like a major dbag.

Honestly, what did people really expect from a young first year starting QB behind an O Line that gave up a sack at a rate of 7.5% per every pass attempt (3rd worse in the big ten)

For the 4 toughest defenses RU played this year:

Wisconsin gave up 6 TD passes all year;____0.5 TD's per game____0 for CL

Michigan Gave up 7 TD passes all year; ___0.6 TD's per game____0 for CL

OSU 12 all year:_____ 1 TD per game___0 for CL

MSU 17 all year : ____ 1.4 per game_____3 For CL

So these 4 opponents allowed a combined 42 passing TD's all year = 0.875 TD per game

In Lavianos 4 games against these opponents .75 TD’s per game

In 7 of their games this year Wisconsin did not allow a TD pass.

In 5 of their games this year Michigan did not allow a TD pass.

So against these four opponents, Laviano was just slightly below the average of TD passes per game (.88 vs .75 TD per game)

And Laviano was clearly in the company of many other QB's in not throwing a TD in games against UW and UM this year. And against MSU 2 teams had zero TD passes this year, where CL had 3.

How much better did anyone really expect him to be? Still amazed at the expectations.

You shouldn't confuse our experts with the facts. See, you already confuse rureadyforsome...

That was one hell of a season considering everything that this team had going against it, combined with the tough schedule. It has to take a lot to keep coming back for more every day, and I for one, greatly appreciate it.

And an even bigger shout out for playing for Rutgers when you know guys like Spare130(featured below) are in the crowd rooting against you. That takes a maturity, composure, and class that most won't find in multiple lifetimes. Kudos again!
I agree/ Love your toughness and fight through adversity!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT