ADVERTISEMENT

Teams Opting Out of NIT to Focus on Portal

Not sure why you can't do both. At the end of the day, for many kids ,it will come down to the highest offer given an equal opportunity for playing time. The players will decide the pace of commitments to other schools not the programs. Technically, don't these kids have spring semester classes at their existing schools during the week anyway?

Sorry. Perhaps you didn't go but nearly 5000 other Rutgers fans went last year. (Would I have gone this year? Absolutely not but it is not the tourney but the team)
I was there. The selection show was cringe, the entire thing was just a participation trophy.

I was there. The selection show was cringe, the entire thing was just a participation trophy.
Well I thought it was a revenge game turned into a non participation unfortunately. :(

I actually watch some of the NIT when played on the off nights of the NCAA because after bball season.. it's a long wait till the football.
Same reason I watch Maction football. Just love the college games (for now)

I said it weeks ago this tournament is a waste of time especially in the current environment. No carry over at all. The guys who are hold overs for us need rest or strength and conditioning training. Not playing with a bunch of guys who will be on other teams next year.
Best thing to happen to Rutgers was a quick end to work on next years roster

Reactions: Plum Street
The answer to this problem is to not open the portal until the NCAA tournament and NIT tournament end. Opening it tomorrow gives the non-participating teams a huge head start on portaling.
Yup. Same thing as having a free agency period in pro sports. This is not that complicated but as @willisneverrana43 stated there is no plan, vision or leadership from the NCAA on this.

I said it weeks ago this tournament is a waste of time especially in the current environment. No carry over at all. The guys who are hold overs for us need rest or strength and conditioning training. Not playing with a bunch of guys who will be on other teams next year.
Best thing to happen to Rutgers was a quick end to work on next years roster
Ok, so you’re wrong twice.

Reactions: zebnatto
I happen to think the NIT is worthwhile to the winning programs in one bid confrences.
They sometimes get left out because they gad a good season but their SOS wasnt the greatest.
2022-2023 Season
North Texas as 26-7 and not dancing
Sam Houston 25-7
Bradley 25-9
Liberty 26-9
Hofstra 24-9
Utah Valley 25-8
UAB 25-9
Southern Miss 25-7
Toledo 27-7
Tell the fans of those schools it's a participation trophy event
when NCAA rules make it hard for them to qualify for a bid to the NCAA Tourney
based on just their W-L record.

Last edited:
It’s a big deal to the low major and some mid major schools.

But I get it. And don’t mind if the big boys decline.
That’s a fair take. If programs want to decline for whatever reason, fine. But don’t close off the opportunity for other programs who had great years but were in one-bid leagues. And honestly, it’s no skin off our a$$es if TV and advertisers step up and want to show it. Same with bowls.

There is a combination of stupid things happening that have led to this:

1) taking away the auto-bids for mid major conf champions who lose their conf tournament

2) transfer portal opening before the tournaments begin (NCAA basically saying that the NIT doesnt matter, same thing they said about the bowl games by also opening it up before those games leading to opt-outs)

College sports has gone pro, no longer about the fun family event for alumni and fans and students to celebrate a fun season, instead the demand for the “playoffs” and anything less than a national championship considered a failure. No fun for anyone

3) sports betting growing at a ridiculous rate - the NCAA tournament being one of the most bet-on events in all of sports, more teams = more games = more $$$. Same thing with the CFB playoff going from 4 to 14. $$$$$$$$$

4) $$$$$$

5) lack of a commissioner of college sports, and continued diminishing desire by the NCAA to govern anything anymore. They want all the $$$ and none of the risk of getting sued and so basically “take the money and run” literally, letting the college sports model burn up in front of everyone

In a way, this makes sense. The portal can make or break a program. Look at UConn. Their two best players are from the portal. Also, few will care even if a program wins the NIT. The extra practice time from being in the NIT will help some, but it’s definitely not as important as getting the “right” player from the portal.

The CBI will probably be a more well played tournament than the NIT. A bunch of good mid majors happy to still be playing as opposed to a bunch of disappointed major conference teams going through the motions

The answer to this problem is to not open the portal until the NCAA tournament and NIT tournament end. Opening it tomorrow gives the non-participating teams a huge head start on portaling.
This is pretty obviously needed. I can't understand why it would open before the tournament is over. Makes no sense and was guaranteed to lead to these types of problems

Isn't some crazy amount of the NCAA's revenue (and thus, in part, a portion of revenue to a number of schools, depending on the exact details) based on the Tournament? So, typical of the NCAA's decision making over many years, they create a situation where athletes, thinking of money. I can't really blame them as the NCAA's lack of willingness to make it possible for student-athletes to make $10K to say $50K or so, which would have made major impacts on the lives of so many student-athletes, especially those with kids and/or who came from really tough situations, has led to this point. At least one kid whose team makes the Tourney will end up deciding not to play due to the portal...

Why is the portal open so soon after completion of the season anyway? I know we've taken away any semblance that high level athletes should actually be there to learn and go to class, but why don't they just open the portal at the end of the semester and let the madness take place once the semester is over? Open the portal for a month and let the madness play out over June/July/August.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
So, you would be okay with getting rid of our bowl last year? Was that a shitty experience for the program and the fans?
Don't be obtuse, there are far too many bowl games. The Pinstripe does a half decent job but think of all the bowl games pre-Christmas, the bowl game in Detroit...there are plenty of terrible bowl games, plus players opting out. It's a subpar product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT