ADVERTISEMENT

Teams Opting Out of NIT to Focus on Portal

If RU this year was invited to NIT (say with a record of 18-15) and Pike turned it down to get a head start on recruiting the portal I'd be 110% OK with it.

Does it really matter when the portal is opened up? Everyone is a free agent. Everyone with value is getting contacted.

If RU this year was invited to NIT (say with a record of 18-15) and Pike turned it down to get a head start on recruiting the portal I'd be 110% OK with it.

Does it really matter when the portal is opened up? Everyone is a free agent. Everyone with value is getting contacted.
I think it definitely matters. It's going to be absolute chaos the next couple of weeks. Yes tampering is going on now, but there will be so many twist and turns with unexpected teams jumping in with better offers etc. Kids who weren't going to enter now entering. And vice versa.

Not to mention the kids who are still playing. They don't need this distraction either.

The sport should be focused on the tournament and not this clownshow.

I think it definitely matters. It's going to be absolute chaos the next couple of weeks. Yes tampering is going on now, but there will be so many twist and turns with unexpected teams jumping in with better offers etc. Kids who weren't going to enter now entering. And vice versa.

Not to mention the kids who are still playing. They don't need this distraction either.

The sport should be focused on the tournament and not this clownshow.
Is it illegal for me to contact a player right now and tell a player that I have allocated $1,000,000 out of my budget to pay for a Rutgers basketball player to promote my business AND you are on the top of my list?

Is that tampering? Does it matter if the player is or isn't in the portal?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Don't be obtuse, there are far too many bowl games. The Pinstripe does a half decent job but think of all the bowl games pre-Christmas, the bowl game in Detroit...there are plenty of terrible bowl games, plus players opting out. It's a subpar product.
Got it. As long as it’s not Rutgers’ bowl game. And if the game is before Xmas it can be canceled. I’m a little obtuse - just trying to follow along here.

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Is it illegal for me to contact a player right now and tell a player that I have allocated $1,000,000 out of my budget to pay for a Rutgers basketball player to promote my business AND you are on the top of my list?

Is that tampering? Does it matter if the player is or isn't in the portal?
Don't forget the number one NIL rule:
There are no rules

no longer about the fun family event for alumni and fans and students to celebrate a fun season, instead the demand for the “playoffs” and anything less than a national championship considered a failure. No fun for anyone

A lot of good points in your post but picking out this part that I tend to not agree with. There seems to be certain posters who keep saying over again since NIL that its no fun and for various reasons they are eventually going to "quit". I think it represents a vocal majority rather than an actual majority as overall interest in RU basketball seems to be spiking over the past several years. For me its all about perspective and fun is what you make of it (and still fun for me). Also not sure what RU fans (or similar programs etc) are saying that it is a failure if we don't win a Natty.

Eventually it will be in the best interest to the players and the NCAA (or whatever body eventually runs things) to have players form a union and have a collective agreement.

The way things are now for the players with unregulated NIL and having to switch teams to get paid and eventually NIL money will decrease (after it increases in the next few years) it will be in the best interest to figure out the best solution. This isn't it...there is too much $ on the table to get this wrong.

Since the players experience it individually, I'll take that as a 'no it's not fair'
Not fair to 5th year backup center who doesn't get a chance to play. It helps the junior starting point guard that gets a jump start and maybe benefits by getting a spot before everyone hits the portal.

What is going to be crazy is the amount of "signings" that take place on the last day. Some players will do best just getting it done, but there will be others that benefit by waiting for the last minute because there could be a huge supply demand imbalance near the end with teams scrambling to replace players who last minute transfered.

All of this is an absolute joke when we call this college basketball.

Reactions: colbert17
Don't be obtuse, there are far too many bowl games. The Pinstripe does a half decent job but think of all the bowl games pre-Christmas, the bowl game in Detroit...there are plenty of terrible bowl games, plus players opting out. It's a subpar product.
Okay Andy from Shawshank.

Incorporate it into the NCAA and get rid of it. One extra round. Top 32 get a bye.

Such a shame for the majority of the kids on the teams getting little because the stars have ruined it for them.
Just go to 128. 68 + 32. Reward the ISU, Princeton, USF, etc

With major programs turning down NIT invites it looks like it will be a lesser conference program affair as as much as I would like to see those type of programs be able to extend their season, I doubt fan interested in seeing those programs would be enough to keep the NIT going
The NCAA will just expand it's numbers, but most of the extra spots will go to major programs, leaving the little guys out.

The answer to this problem is to not open the portal until the NCAA tournament and NIT tournament end. Opening it tomorrow gives the non-participating teams a huge head start on portaling.
While I agree, that it’s not great for the sport or scene. I don’t mindthat in an environment where every change seems to enrich the richer…it almost works in the same vein as losing team getting first pick. Doesn’t work quite that way but I think we are used to that concept.

While I agree, that it’s not great for the sport or scene. I don’t mindthat in an environment where every change seems to enrich the richer…it almost works in the same vein as losing team getting first pick. Doesn’t work quite that way but I think we are used to that concept.
To paraphrase, I wouldn’t want to be in any tournament that would have us as a participant.

Seton Hall, Wake, LSU, Providence, Boston College, Xavier, Georgia, Va Tech, Ohio State playing in the NIT. And that's just from half the bracket.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Butler, Minnesota, Cincy, Villanova, Iowa, Kansas State, and Utah also taking part.

So really other than Indiana, St Johns, Pitt, Oklahoma... not sure anyone else is skipping out?

Butler, Minnesota, Cincy, Villanova, Iowa, Kansas State, and Utah also taking part.

So really other than Indiana, St Johns, Pitt, Oklahoma... not sure anyone else is skipping out?
Glad to hear it's not as bad as I thought about the drop-outs.

Reactions: fatsam98
The NIT is still better than the pre Christmas bowl games (and a few of the post Christmas ones too)

On its selection show, ESPN listed six "notable" dropouts, including Mississippi and Memphis. Implying that there may have been other mid-majors. But who knows.

I have linked an article from Syracuse.com. Writer was surprised (as was I ) that Cuse did not get an invite. He contacted the athletic department to see if they turned down the bid, but received no response.

Article states that Washington also declined, in addition to the six teams previously mentioned.

I have linked an article from Syracuse.com. Writer was surprised (as was I ) that Cuse did not get an invite. He contacted the athletic department to see if they turned down the bid, but received no response.

Article states that Washington also declined, in addition to the six teams previously mentioned.

they'll have fun in the CBI

There is a combination of stupid things happening that have led to this:

1) taking away the auto-bids for mid major conf champions who lose their conf tournament

2) transfer portal opening before the tournaments begin (NCAA basically saying that the NIT doesnt matter, same thing they said about the bowl games by also opening it up before those games leading to opt-outs)

College sports has gone pro, no longer about the fun family event for alumni and fans and students to celebrate a fun season, instead the demand for the “playoffs” and anything less than a national championship considered a failure. No fun for anyone

3) sports betting growing at a ridiculous rate - the NCAA tournament being one of the most bet-on events in all of sports, more teams = more games = more $$$. Same thing with the CFB playoff going from 4 to 14. $$$$$$$$$

4) $$$$$$

5) lack of a commissioner of college sports, and continued diminishing desire by the NCAA to govern anything anymore. They want all the $$$ and none of the risk of getting sued and so basically “take the money and run” literally, letting the college sports model burn up in front of everyone

Very well said.

I still don't get why everyone has to move in tandem all the time with the "it doesn't matter who cares?"

Abstractly, all that matters is what people say matters.

People want to do away with all bowl games other than the playoffs? I hope 90% of college football fans enjoy NEVER getting a bowl win that "matters" in their entire lives.

No NIT? Fine, who cares. It doesn't "matter".

The whole thing has gotten ridiculous, and people sre so busy chasing the little red laser "omg who is expanding with who?" "Omg what is the TV payout" "omg who is left out of musical chairs?" "Omg where are they putting the new facility in the parking lot?" "Is this streaming on a new streaming service for another 10 bucks?!? Omg let me subscribe"

Does anyone ever stop and ask themselves which of these aspects have improved their fan experience or price/benefit point?

I don't have a ton of interest in the tourney this year other than in passing, but if RU was in the NIT, I'd be at every game possible. What "matters" to me is RU basketball and my fan experience and engagement with that program.

Don't we have five assistant coaches??? We can't walk and chew gum at the same time???

What is going to be crazy is the amount of "signings" that take place on the last day. Some players will do best just getting it done, but there will be others that benefit by waiting for the last minute because there could be a huge supply demand imbalance near the end with teams scrambling to replace players who last minute transfered.

All of this is an absolute joke when we call this college basketball.
The transfer portal window is only to ENTER the portal. There is no deadline on when a guy can sign. If a player wants to enter the portal on March 18 and go on vacation for three months before coming back to look at schools in June he can do that.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT