ADVERTISEMENT

Update from Fan Focus Group discussion

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
Just got off the call. Few items

1. About 12 of us on the call
2. Parking was discussed first. Surprisingly not a lot of complaints. Figured out the main reason for that was most people on the call get there real early and did not have to deal with traffic. But a few of us brought up the issues we have all discussed on here before.
3. Discussed dining and food options. Everyone agree larger concourse, maybe some grab and go options. Henrys , Rutgers Club came up and Winter Village came up.
4. Then the discussion of luxury seating , clubs , bar tops etc came up. To summarize I think all of us felt the same to a point. Understand we need to modernize and bring in more revenue BUT don't screw around with our seats and take rows away so the courtside seats and the corporations that will buy them have a place to have a drink while taking away seats from the regular fans that have been coming for years. Some of us said blow out the East side where the offices are and do what you want there.
5. Of course a lot more bathrooms and ability to move in the concourses. Add more seats by the students and last but not least sec 118 is a joke.
6 I know a few on the call are also on this forum please jump in.

Good work. They need to send out a real survey where they get genuine feedback from the masses and not just, "are you willing to spend 300,000 on a suite?" Oh no, "how about 270,000?" No to that too? How about "250,000.

That survey was stupid. I'm sure 99 percent of the people just kept clicking NO.

The goal is to increase revenue As stated by Pat Hobbs. They only raise that revenue by luxury suites/premium priced seating. Unfortunately, it won’t matter what we say in focus groups or surveys. Our input will mean very little as they already have their plans. Yes, they will listen and add bathrooms and food options, but the survey and focus group is to appease the fan base. They know they will have to rely on corporate to buy these premium seating options, so they will have the input to the design if anyone.

I'll be in the Thursday 9am group. I don't understand the constant need for revenue. More revenue is always good, but at what cost? We are now getting a full B1G share that's expected to continue growing. I love college sports. The students, the band, the cheerleaders, the alumni. I'll never be a Giant, Jet or Eagle, but I am a Scarlet Knight, like most on these boards. I don't want to be the NBA, or the NFL, I want to have college sports be college sports. Maybe that time is now past with 7 figure coaches and NIL........

The goal is to increase revenue As stated by Pat Hobbs. They only raise that revenue by luxury suites/premium priced seating. Unfortunately, it won’t matter what we say in focus groups or surveys. Our input will mean very little as they already have their plans. Yes, they will listen and add bathrooms and food options, but the survey and focus group is to appease the fan base. They know they will have to rely on corporate to buy these premium seating options, so they will have the input to the design if anyone.
True to a degree. But it very much matters where they put theses luxury suites. I made the argument in our fan focus group call last week that the suites should be either in the end zone where the old offices are or at the top of the 300 section center court. In either of those places, it won’t have a big impact on the RAC-mosphere. If they are adding an atrium and grand entrance facing the green lot there is no reason they can’t blow out the back of the top of that 300 section and add boxes. Even up there, they would be closer to the Court than luxury suites at the Rock or MSG, so they should still be attractive to corporations and other institutional buyers. Same for the old offices over section 118. They can bring them forward closer to the court and they would be a great vantage point too.

FWIW, our focus group expressed much more concern about parking, especially ingress and access roads to the arena. The rest of the comments were in line with RC1978’s group.

Just got off the call. Few items

1. About 12 of us on the call
2. Parking was discussed first. Surprisingly not a lot of complaints. Figured out the main reason for that was most people on the call get there real early and did not have to deal with traffic. But a few of us brought up the issues we have all discussed on here before.
3. Discussed dining and food options. Everyone agree larger concourse, maybe some grab and go options. Henrys , Rutgers Club came up and Winter Village came up.
4. Then the discussion of luxury seating , clubs , bar tops etc came up. To summarize I think all of us felt the same to a point. Understand we need to modernize and bring in more revenue BUT don't screw around with our seats and take rows away so the courtside seats and the corporations that will buy them have a place to have a drink while taking away seats from the regular fans that have been coming for years. Some of us said blow out the East side where the offices are and do what you want there.
5. Of course a lot more bathrooms and ability to move in the concourses. Add more seats by the students and last but not least sec 118 is a joke.
6 I know a few on the call are also on this forum please jump in.
I was on the call as well. Good summary. The group was a dozen long time fans, maybe all season ticket holders. We were told there will be 6 to 8 other focus groups (e.g. students, single game buyers, etc.).

I would add to the comments above that as regards physical changes to the RAC, the moderator just followed the survey format. There were no other options, such as seating expansion, mentioned. There was quite a bit of resistance from the group to the two premium options we covered (ran out of time on the others),for all the reasons that have been mentioned on this Board. But I don’t think that will change anything. I believe what we saw in the surveys will be close to the final product.

I think several of us indicated disappointment that seats won’t be added. One Mom of an RU a student mentioned that the kids can’t get tickets. Other than the moderator saying that there will be a student focus group, there was no response to that.

I'll be in the Thursday 9am group. I don't understand the constant need for revenue. More revenue is always good, but at what cost? We are now getting a full B1G share that's expected to continue growing. I love college sports. The students, the band, the cheerleaders, the alumni. I'll never be a Giant, Jet or Eagle, but I am a Scarlet Knight, like most on these boards. I don't want to be the NBA, or the NFL, I want to have college sports be college sports. Maybe that time is now past with 7 figure coaches and NIL........
Be sure to express that.

I was part of the focus group as well. The other item that came up was having a good place to eat before a game like a sports bar in the arena. Nothing fancy just good burgers etc and drinks. Open the sports bar up 1.5 to 2 hours prior to games.

As far as the luxury seating, I felt like we were being heard and understood. I think the Hobbs and company are aware of the need to keep the noise level and atmosphere but also need the revenue from luxury seating options.

I would add to the comments above that as regards physical changes to the RAC, the moderator just followed the survey format. There were no other options, such as seating expansion, mentioned. There was quite a bit of resistance from the group to the two premium options we covered (ran out of time on the others),for all the reasons that have been mentioned on this Board. But I don’t think that will change anything. I believe what we saw in the surveys will be close to the final product.
I don’t think they desire for the final product to be what we saw in the survey. Meaning, they gave many different options for luxury seats including location and type of seat/amenities. They’re only going to do some of that, not all of it.
Thanks for attending the focus group!

Based on the above comments its rather clear the proposed rendering is the course of action that will happen.Its deeply disappointing that discussion of additional seating isn't a agenda item because that would create additional funding via seating,parking and concession sales.Such a plan wouldn't require a circular concourse around the court adversely impacting current seating .It would be new construction following the Pernetti rendering where the current entrance side of the RAC is moved outward another 20 feet .Such a action would provide ample space for additional 1500-2000 seats,more rest rooms /concession stands,wider concourse for fans to meet before and at half time and a attractive entrance atrium.Its very disappointing that a major university would spend millions of dollars on the RAC renovation and result in having the smallest basketball arena in the BIG Ten and in other power conferences.

Based on the above comments its rather clear the proposed rendering is the course of action that will happen.Its deeply disappointing that discussion of additional seating isn't a agenda item because that would create additional funding via seating,parking and concession sales.Such a plan wouldn't require a circular concourse around the court adversely impacting current seating .It would be new construction following the Pernetti rendering where the current entrance side of the RAC is moved outward another 20 feet .Such a action would provide ample space for additional 1500-2000 seats,more rest rooms /concession stands,wider concourse for fans to meet before and at half time and a attractive entrance atrium.Its very disappointing that a major university would spend millions of dollars on the RAC renovation and result in having the smallest basketball arena in the BIG Ten and in other power conferences.
Agree. They're going to do what they're going to do for the corporate cash, but not expanding the building to 10K seats is negligence, incompetence or both.

The proposal by NCAA President Charlie Baker last week outlined a future state where for an upper tier of maybe 100 schools revenue sharing with athletes was a real thing and 50% of athletes would need to get a MINIMUM of $30,000 year, etc. Additional revenue to come directly from the universities and not collectives would be shared with athletes. Not because the NCAA schools want to do this but there is a legal challenge out there now that the NCAA will lose so this is the attempt to get out in front. And the money being paid to coaches and bloated support staff isn't going to miraculously shrink to reasonable levels.

I'm not completely naive to what college athletics is today or even what is what 40 years ago but this is not why I fell in love and the bridge is becoming too far. A re-do of the RAC and displacement of diehard Rutgers alums and fans in the pursuit of corporate write-off money might be the moment to find other things to do and spend my money on.

I fail to see how actually reducing capacity even more to around 7,700 according to Hobbs is actually the right move. The place used to hold 9,000 and we continue to go backward as time marches on which is ridiculous. The reason we lag behind the other Big Ten schools is because they have seating capacities twice of ours or more! We're not going to double the size of the RAC but for the only answer to revenue disparities is to tear the place half apart to shove in luxury amenities in a place that simply isn't constructed for it is crap. Extension of seating in and behind 118 could expand seating by at least 1,000 to 1,500 and you could convert the office areas to the hospitality / lounge areas.

Last edited:
did anybody ask why parking for Saint Peters cost the same as parking at MetLife Stadium for a Giants game?

if not you failed
Harsh but yes that was the one miss I recall. I had it on the tip of my tongue but couldn't get it out. However these focus groups aren't exactly (IMHO) set up to be judgmental on existing things that weren't operational or structural in nature. They were getting feedback or checking off on future plans. That point would likely have been a footnote somewhere at the very bottom.
I think such matters would best be served by individual email en mass back to the Ath. Dept.

I agree that more seats should be a priority. At our fan focus group the moderator said the goal was not to lose any seats from the existing configuration. That is better than shrinking but still very disappointing. just putting real seats in the 300s alone would raise revenue because you could charge a lot more than for the existing bleacher seats.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I agree that more seats should be a priority. At our fan focus group the moderator said the goal was not to lose any seats from the existing configuration. That is better than shrinking but still very disappointing. just putting real seats in the 300s alone would raise revenue because you could charge a lot more than for the existing bleacher seats.
I don't know how to post the image, but on the ticket site it looks like there are 14 seats in each row of the 200s with the chairs, and 16 seats in each row of the benches in the 300s so you only use 2 seats per row by going to chairs as opposed to benches. Someone double check me, but I calculate that changing the 300s to seats only results in a loss of 48 seats total. That would seem to be easily made up by filling in the corners and behind the basked. If they are saying that capacity wouldn't be increased that would have to be because sts would be lost to luxury areas. I

Reactions: RU-ROCS
The proposal by NCAA President Charlie Baker last week outlined a future state where for an upper tier of maybe 100 schools revenue sharing with athletes was a real thing and 50% of athletes would need to get a MINIMUM of $30,000 year, etc. Additional revenue to come directly from the universities and not collectives would be shared with athletes. Not because the NCAA schools want to do this but there is a legal challenge out there now that the NCAA will lose so this is the attempt to get out in front. And the money being paid to coaches and bloated support staff isn't going to miraculously shrink to reasonable levels.

I'm not completely naive to what college athletics is today or even what is what 40 years ago but this is not why I fell in love and the bridge is becoming too far. A re-do of the RAC and displacement of diehard Rutgers alums and fans in the pursuit of corporate write-off money might be the moment to find other things to do and spend my money on.

I fail to see how actually reducing capacity even more to around 7,700 according to Hobbs is actually the right move. The place used to hold 9,000 and we continue to go backward as time marches on which is ridiculous. The reason we lag behind the other Big Ten schools is because they have seating capacities twice of ours or more! We're not going to double the size of the RAC but for the only answer to revenue disparities is to tear the place half apart to shove in luxury amenities in a place that simply isn't constructed for it is crap. Extension of seating in and behind 118 could expand seating by at least 1,000 to 1,500 and you could convert the office areas to the hospitality / lounge areas.
Its a shame that the viewpoints of long time ticket holders isn't being considered in the proposed RAC renovation.The demand for tickets will be greater in future years with higher level recruits playing for Rutgers.

Of course we’d all love more seats…. if those seats are filled! Everybody clamoring for increased capacity …. in the 15 or so years pre-Pike, 0% of people were calling for increased capacity. Increased capacity would be great IF we are going to be perennial top 50 like we’ve been the past 4 years.

Reactions: RU MAN
Harsh but yes that was the one miss I recall. I had it on the tip of my tongue but couldn't get it out. However these focus groups aren't exactly (IMHO) set up to be judgmental on existing things that weren't operational or structural in nature. They were getting feedback or checking off on future plans. That point would likely have been a footnote somewhere at the very bottom.
I think such matters would best be served by individual email en mass back to the Ath. Dept.
Our group commented on the $30 for parking.

As I said before and others have added here, it's shortsighted to do all of these improvements and not add at least 2,000 seats. We have already proven we can sell out 8,000+ consistently. We need more seats for the size of our university. Personally, it's embarrassing that we fans and alums should have the foresight to see that the extra 2,000 seats will allow that average fan or alum to see the game without breaking the bank while Hobbs is clueless about it. Also, when the top schools in the B1G have a minimum of 10,000+ to upwards of 21,000, for Rutgers not to do that, IMO, is reckless, frankly bad business, and embarrassing. The four new schools added to the B1G all have over 10,000-seat arenas. Hobbs and company, stop being so provincial in your thinking.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, bring this issue up of adding seats. Under Pernetti, the architects did an excellent job of adding seats by blowing out the sides but keeping the trapezoid. Right now, they shouldn't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Hobbs needs to swallow his pride and utilize the other architects while using his own. Borrow from the other firm.

I was part of the focus group as well. The other item that came up was having a good place to eat before a game like a sports bar in the arena. Nothing fancy just good burgers etc and drinks. Open the sports bar up 1.5 to 2 hours prior to games.

As far as the luxury seating, I felt like we were being heard and understood. I think the Hobbs and company are aware of the need to keep the noise level and atmosphere but also need the revenue from luxury seating options.
They can add that revenue with adding 2,000 more seats.

As I said before and others have added here, it's shortsighted to do all of these improvements and not add at least 2,000 seats. We have already proven we can sell out 8,000+ consistently. We need more seats for the size of our university. Personally, it's embarrassing that we fans and alums should have the foresight to see that the extra 2,000 seats will allow that average fan or alum to see the game without breaking the bank while Hobbs is clueless about it. Also, when the top schools in the B1G have a minimum of 10,000+ to upwards of 21,000, for Rutgers not to do that, IMO, is reckless, frankly bad business, and embarrassing. The four new schools added to the B1G all have over 10,000-seat arenas. Hobbs and company, stop being so provincial in your thinking.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, bring this issue up of adding seats. Under Pernetti, the architects did an excellent job of adding seats by blowing out the sides but keeping the trapezoid. Right now, they shouldn't be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. Hobbs needs to swallow his pride and utilize the other architects while using his own. Borrow from the other firm.
Spot on comments.Its embarrassing that adding 1500-2000 seats isn't a focus of the proposed RAC renovation.Rutgers finally has shown the ability to attract elite talent which will surely result in public interest and demand for tickets which means added revenue from ticket sales,parking and concessation stands.Additional seating also would make the RAC attractive as a facility for concerts and other money generating events.Part of being a member of a power conference is to have facilities comparable to other league rivals to show that you are a big time program.

1. If blindly increasing capacity after a few years of success was the answer, we wouldn’t have a .500 football team playing in a half-full stadium.
2. I have no idea how we’re paying for this if Hobbs follows the suggestions here to make parking cheaper, keep ticket prices and donation requirements flat, and not offer any premium options. We couldn’t even get the APC without Lesniak’s retirement gift.

Parking is outrageous IMO but something else will have to give, and I don’t think it’s going to be on the capacity side alone

Our group commented on the $30 for parking.
What was their response? Di they realize that they are actually losing some single game sales for the nonrevenue sports because of the high cost of parking?

Of course we’d all love more seats…. if those seats are filled! Everybody clamoring for increased capacity …. in the 15 or so years pre-Pike, 0% of people were calling for increased capacity. Increased capacity would be great IF we are going to be perennial top 50 like we’ve been the past 4 years.
Winning matters in sports and for 30 years Rutgers men's basketball had not one NCAA bid.Rutgers was told as part of gaining B1G Ten acceptance facilities must be improved for all the teams with special focus on the money revenue sports football and men's basketball. The practice facility for wrestling ,women's gymnastics and the two basketball teams is first class .The RAC ,however, is outdated and needs a major expansion in size, seating, rest rooms, concession stands, wider concourse and a more attractive atrium entrance.The Pernetti rendering provides the necessary needs without interfering with the seating that surrounds the court because additional space is constructed on the current entrance side of the RAC.Architects prepared the drawings but Rutgers lacked the funding to move forward.Delays in action probably has increased the construction costs at a time where there is increased interest in men's basketball because of recent success on the court and in recruiting elite talent.

Reactions: RU MAN
I hear the cheerleaders will be lighting sparklers and sticking them in bottles for bottles service for the new club seats.

This is a crowd that cheers more for a 30 second violation then a basket. Read the room here.

More point of sale options and increased bathrooms are all that is needed. Heck if they increased the bathrooms people may buy more $17 beer.

Increase capacity to around 9500-10000. If you can't do this here and it's truly about revenue, then build a new RAC.

What was their response? Di they realize that they are actually losing some single game sales for the nonrevenue sports because of the high cost of parking?
Fell pretty flat. Noted, that was about it.

Football, men's basketball and wrestling are the only sports where parking isn't free in every lot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Men's lacrosse tickets cost $10 but women's lacrosse, men's and women's soccer and baseball are all free admission (and free parking).

The Pernetti rendering provides the necessary needs without interfering with the seating that surrounds the court because additional space is constructed on the current entrance side of the RAC.
Pat Hobbs transferred control of the land on the RAC's entrance side to Jersey Mike's. This lousy real estate deal explains why the renderings Hobbs sent around on November 15th show the RAC's footprint spreading in the direction of the parking lots, not the plaza in front of the entrance.

Football, men's basketball and wrestling are the only sports where parking isn't free in every lot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Men's lacrosse tickets cost $10 but women's lacrosse, men's and women's soccer and baseball are all free admission (and free parking).
Parking is free for women's hoops games. Games rarely attract more than a few thousand fans, so ingress and egress of vehicles in the parking lots is no problem.

I am very interested in seeing what happens vs. Iowa on Jan. 5. The game is sold out. Tix are selling for well over $100. Everyone wants to see Caitlin Clark.

My guess is that RU will charge for parking that night. If it does and does not alert fans in advance, women's hoops fans (senior citizens for the most part) will be in for a rude awakening.

For anyone concerned that we won't sell tickets 8001-10000 if the team falls on hard times again... do you think premium seats with club service would still be selling like hotcakes in that scenario?

How the heck did we give away the rights to expanding in front of the current entrance to Jersey Mike's??? Is that true???

I think the NCAA minimum capacity to host regional tournament games is 10,000. From a revenue standpoint, I don’t know why any renovation would not include plans to meet this threshold.
How often would we host, and what are the payout for the host school?

I just don’t see this being a significant issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT