ADVERTISEMENT

Update from Fan Focus Group discussion

This sounds absurd. Even if true I would imagine a work around could be agreed upon since the expansion would benefit them as well.
From the arena naming rights contract:

“During the Term, JM and Rutgers may jointly plan and develop an exterior plaza development (the ‘Plaza Development’) near the Arena intended as a potential showcase of the Agreement. All aspects of the Plaza Development, including timeline, investment levels and funding strategies of development will be mutually-agreed upon by the parties.’’

The rectangular land parcel between the RAC and Rockefeller Road is the logical location for a new arena. For Rutgers to build a new arena, Rutgers will need to cut Jersey Mike's into the economics of the arena deal.

This plaza parcel has a lot of value even if a new arena isn't built. The Livingston campus has been expanding in the direction of the plaza parcel for years, with new developments including the business school, the training center for 4 sports teams, and the retail and apartment project next to the plaza parcel. The naming rights contract gives Jersey Mike's an option to influence the economics of whatever happens on the parcel.

While valuing Jersey's Mike land option is difficult, this land deal helps offset the payments the company owes for the naming rights.

Oh hosting a regional.... Anyone remember the "situation" when Rutgers hosted the regional at the Meadowlands and some state senator threw a hissy fit because "New Jersey" wasn't anywhere to be found on the Rutgers logo, so "we" (taxpayers) paid a graphic designer $10,000 to incorporate it into the design? The end result, if my memory is correct, was to just stick ""NEW JERSEY" into the "arm" of the R...

Oh hosting a regional.... Anyone remember the "situation" when Rutgers hosted the regional at the Meadowlands and some state senator threw a hissy fit because "New Jersey" wasn't anywhere to be found on the Rutgers logo, so "we" (taxpayers) paid a graphic designer $10,000 to incorporate it into the design? The end result, if my memory is correct, was to just stick ""NEW JERSEY" into the "arm" of the R...
Rutgers hosted the 1996 Final Four at the Continental Airlines Arena. This venue was also known as the Meadowlands Arena, the Izod Center, and the Brendan Byrne Arena.

As part of the hosting arrangement, Rutgers undergrads had access to 32 tickets to each the doubleheader semfinal and the final.

These tix were allocated by a lottery system. Students needed to apply in person at the RAC. I arrived to apply at the last moment. I asked the RAC ticket agent how many students had applied. While I don't remember the exact figure, the applications were tiny, as in less than 100. Confirmation Rutgers students are not college sports fanatics.

I didn't win a ticket. However, a dorm mate did. Her best friend didn't get one though, so my dorm mate didn't plan to attend. I bought my classmate's ticket for about $20. This was a risk because the tickets were white hot with nearby Syracuse and diehard Kentucky fans demanding many tickets for a small arena. Every Final Four after 1996 has drawn more than double the crowd as 1996 when Rutgers hosted.

Rutgers students with Final Four tickets needed to show Rutgers student ID cards to get on the bus from campus to the arena. I didn't have a ticket. Somehow I convinced the dorm mate ticketholder to write a "grandma died" letter. And I persuaded a rugby teammate with a car to drive me to the arena, dropping me off at Giants Stadium. Inside, I maneuvered my way through the ticket checkers into the tiny Rutgers student section.

Kentucky won, led by coach Rick Pitino.

The game experience sucked. Dominated by corporate people. Massachusetts and Mississippi State fans were absent from their sections.

My most vivid memories are 1) Kentucky fans inside the pedestrian bridge offering me $1,000 for my ticket, and 2) nearly knocking out Geraldo Rivera in a dispute at a sink in the bathroom.

Just got off the call. Few items

1. About 12 of us on the call
2. Parking was discussed first. Surprisingly not a lot of complaints. Figured out the main reason for that was most people on the call get there real early and did not have to deal with traffic. But a few of us brought up the issues we have all discussed on here before.
3. Discussed dining and food options. Everyone agree larger concourse, maybe some grab and go options. Henrys , Rutgers Club came up and Winter Village came up.
4. Then the discussion of luxury seating , clubs , bar tops etc came up. To summarize I think all of us felt the same to a point. Understand we need to modernize and bring in more revenue BUT don't screw around with our seats and take rows away so the courtside seats and the corporations that will buy them have a place to have a drink while taking away seats from the regular fans that have been coming for years. Some of us said blow out the East side where the offices are and do what you want there.
5. Of course a lot more bathrooms and ability to move in the concourses. Add more seats by the students and last but not least sec 118 is a joke.
6 I know a few on the call are also on this forum please jump in.
I was on the call today. I believe there were 9 of us. Jordan, from Elevate, stated Elevate would be presenting a summary of the focus groups to Rutgers in early 2024. He also stated Elevate wouldn't be recommending these seating options if the fan base didn't want them.

Basically the same stuff as RC1978. Everyone on my panel had only good things to say about their current JMA experience, except an ex 118 guy who lost his seat and hasn't been back. No parking discussion for us. Concourse and food option improvements were something everyone could agree on. Pregame hospitality was a topic, such as Winter Village. NO ONE wanted "seating experiences". No one saw a need and no one wanted to pay a premium. Everyone in agreement to not remove any seating at the expense of clubs/bars etc. An interesting story came up from one guy who recently was invited to a Jets game. He was in the club area. He never once sat in his seat and spent the time eating/drinking and occasioning going out to the table top seats, as he wasn't a Jets fan. This is exactly what most of us on here are afraid of. Empty 100 level seats for corporate guests, more interested in everything but the game. No one wanted the NFL or NBA experience, we have plenty of that close by. They want a "college" environment. I hope Pat hears this.

Another point of agreement was to increase seat capacity, not seat cost. Increase revenue by increasing seating capacity. Many folks are getting shut out now, because tickets aren't available. Not all students can get into the games. IMO a no brainer, but that's not what these rendering are showing. Everyone agreed a table top style area above 118 would be fine, as long as it didn't disturb or displace existing seating.

My $.02 was to build the "pernetti" atrium out front. ( not on the side???? ) create a beautiful congregation area featuring better food/craft beers etc that ALL can enjoy before and during a game. That can be a "Winter Village" like area for every game. Create a high roller club/lounge under the new and expanded 118 for those who wish to pay for it. No need for bars/clubs on the court sides. We are there to watch Rutgers Basketball.

If done correctly, everyone can be accommodated and happy in the newly refurbished and expanded RAC/JMA

For anyone concerned that we won't sell tickets 8001-10000 if the team falls on hard times again... do you think premium seats with club service would still be selling like hotcakes in that scenario?

How the heck did we give away the rights to expanding in front of the current entrance to Jersey Mike's??? Is that true???
WTF?! That's outrageous if true ...

Please see my post at 8:52 am today, December 14, 2023. Hobbs transferred property rights to Jersey Mike's.

• Angry
Reactions: bac2therac
Please see my post at 8:52 am today, December 14, 2023. Hobbs transferred property rights to Jersey Mike's.

(sorry I missed that, thanks).... OK, that's f'in outrageous .

There are over nine million people in NJ which is a high income state.The notion that Rutgers couldn't attract 10,000 fans for 20 basketball games is a demoralizing statement for a team selected to play in a power conference.Yes, winning matters and Pikiell has shown that higher level talent will play for Rutgers in future years.

I was on the call today. I believe there were 9 of us. Jordan, from Elevate, stated Elevate would be presenting a summary of the focus groups to Rutgers in early 2024. He also stated Elevate wouldn't be recommending these seating options if the fan base didn't want them.

Basically the same stuff as RC1978. Everyone on my panel had only good things to say about their current JMA experience, except an ex 118 guy who lost his seat and hasn't been back. No parking discussion for us. Concourse and food option improvements were something everyone could agree on. Pregame hospitality was a topic, such as Winter Village. NO ONE wanted "seating experiences". No one saw a need and no one wanted to pay a premium. Everyone in agreement to not remove any seating at the expense of clubs/bars etc. An interesting story came up from one guy who recently was invited to a Jets game. He was in the club area. He never once sat in his seat and spent the time eating/drinking and occasioning going out to the table top seats, as he wasn't a Jets fan. This is exactly what most of us on here are afraid of. Empty 100 level seats for corporate guests, more interested in everything but the game. No one wanted the NFL or NBA experience, we have plenty of that close by. They want a "college" environment. I hope Pat hears this.

Another point of agreement was to increase seat capacity, not seat cost. Increase revenue by increasing seating capacity. Many folks are getting shut out now, because tickets aren't available. Not all students can get into the games. IMO a no brainer, but that's not what these rendering are showing. Everyone agreed a table top style area above 118 would be fine, as long as it didn't disturb or displace existing seating.

My $.02 was to build the "pernetti" atrium out front. ( not on the side???? ) create a beautiful congregation area featuring better food/craft beers etc that ALL can enjoy before and during a game. That can be a "Winter Village" like area for every game. Create a high roller club/lounge under the new and expanded 118 for those who wish to pay for it. No need for bars/clubs on the court sides. We are there to watch Rutgers Basketball.

If done correctly, everyone can be accommodated and happy in the newly refurbished and expanded RAC/JMA
Why is "Jordan from Elevate" running the focus groups? The athletic department should be managing this process directly.

Forty three months after announcing a deal with AECOM to produce a facilities master plan, this plan does not exist.

Where is the update on the football practice facility announced in 2019?

Something does not make sense here.

For anyone concerned that we won't sell tickets 8001-10000 if the team falls on hard times again... do you think premium seats with club service would still be selling like hotcakes in that scenario?

How the heck did we give away the rights to expanding in front of the current entrance to Jersey Mike's??? Is that true???

Why is "Jordan from Elevate" running the focus groups? The athletic department should be managing this process directly.

Forty three months after announcing a deal with AECOM to produce a facilities master plan, this plan does not exist.

Where is the update on the football practice facility announced in 2019?

Something does not make sense here.
Jordan from Elevate did a good job running the focus group. A professional is needed to run such a group and his firm compiles the data. An internal attempt by the Athletic Department to do that would not do as good a job. This is the norm.

Jordan from Elevate did a good job running the focus group. A professional is needed to run such a group and his firm compiles the data. An internal attempt by the Athletic Department to do that would not do as good a job. This is the norm.
Thank you for the response Unionst. Hopefully the Rutgers people make decisions reflecting Jordan's advice. Thank you again for your comment.

Reactions: biker7766
I think Hobbs and company are miss judging the actual amount of luxury seating and areas needed. Sure, you need some, but not half the lower side. Increase capacity and get the regular Joes who will spend money on parking, merchandize and concessions. Rutgers is not a glitz and glamour blue blood, there will be ups and downs. Fail to sell or lose a couple luxury boxes and you're up sh*t's creek with this plan.

This is only my guess, but I suspect Hobbs in under pressure to make the RAC renovation pay for itself. In other words, to avoid a repeat of the football stadium renovation that forced Rutgers - the university, not athletics - to borrow $80 million in 2009 that taxpayers will being paying back until 2039.

That comes in two ways - donations and loans, with the RAC loans being paid by additional RAC revenues, not the taxpayers.

The lenders want to know the renovation will make enough money to repay them. Hobbs could be testing expensive luxury seats will generate that additional revenue to satisfy potential lenders.

It's kind of funny. People don't want luxury boxes or their ticket prices to go up but don't want to donate more than the minimum. I'm in 206 and have no prayer of getting in the 100s unless people die despite giving well over the minimum.

Just got off the call. Few items

1. About 12 of us on the call
2. Parking was discussed first. Surprisingly not a lot of complaints. Figured out the main reason for that was most people on the call get there real early and did not have to deal with traffic. But a few of us brought up the issues we have all discussed on here before.
3. Discussed dining and food options. Everyone agree larger concourse, maybe some grab and go options. Henrys , Rutgers Club came up and Winter Village came up.
4. Then the discussion of luxury seating , clubs , bar tops etc came up. To summarize I think all of us felt the same to a point. Understand we need to modernize and bring in more revenue BUT don't screw around with our seats and take rows away so the courtside seats and the corporations that will buy them have a place to have a drink while taking away seats from the regular fans that have been coming for years. Some of us said blow out the East side where the offices are and do what you want there.
5. Of course a lot more bathrooms and ability to move in the concourses. Add more seats by the students and last but not least sec 118 is a joke.
6 I know a few on the call are also on this forum please jump in.
118 Remembers. When it first opened fewer than a dozen fans. Money is from TV. Ruin the experience. Smh

• Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
From the arena naming rights contract:

“During the Term, JM and Rutgers may jointly plan and develop an exterior plaza development (the ‘Plaza Development’) near the Arena intended as a potential showcase of the Agreement. All aspects of the Plaza Development, including timeline, investment levels and funding strategies of development will be mutually-agreed upon by the parties.’’

This is absurd. And I got yelled down in the football practice facility thread for questioning the planning/decision making process - LOL

This is absurd. And I got yelled down in the football practice facility thread for questioning the planning/decision making process - LOL

On the practice facility, Greg's new contract contains identical language as the 2019 contract. To be clear, both contracts describe a multi-sport facility, not a dedicated football facility.

The proposal by NCAA President Charlie Baker last week outlined a future state where for an upper tier of maybe 100 schools revenue sharing with athletes was a real thing and 50% of athletes would need to get a MINIMUM of $30,000 year, etc. Additional revenue to come directly from the universities and not collectives would be shared with athletes. Not because the NCAA schools want to do this but there is a legal challenge out there now that the NCAA will lose so this is the attempt to get out in front. And the money being paid to coaches and bloated support staff isn't going to miraculously shrink to reasonable levels.

I'm not completely naive to what college athletics is today or even what is what 40 years ago but this is not why I fell in love and the bridge is becoming too far. A re-do of the RAC and displacement of diehard Rutgers alums and fans in the pursuit of corporate write-off money might be the moment to find other things to do and spend my money on.

I fail to see how actually reducing capacity even more to around 7,700 according to Hobbs is actually the right move. The place used to hold 9,000 and we continue to go backward as time marches on which is ridiculous. The reason we lag behind the other Big Ten schools is because they have seating capacities twice of ours or more! We're not going to double the size of the RAC but for the only answer to revenue disparities is to tear the place half apart to shove in luxury amenities in a place that simply isn't constructed for it is crap. Extension of seating in and behind 118 could expand seating by at least 1,000 to 1,500 and you could convert the office areas to the hospitality / lounge areas.

Reducing seating sounds really dumb. Add seats which adds revenue and spending. Can’t be that much different than adding boxes and a lot more uncertainty filling those.

or their ticket prices to go up but don't want to don
Exactly why this all needs to happen because we have fans that want their cake and eat it too. We need to step up as a fanbase in terms of shelling out money to grow our teams

The current donation levels and ticket prices need to be reviewed for lower level 200 and 100s.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
There are over nine million people in NJ which is a high income state.The notion that Rutgers couldn't attract 10,000 fans for 20 basketball games is a demoralizing statement for a team selected to play in a power conference.Yes, winning matters and Pikiell has shown that higher level talent will play for Rutgers in future years.
Are you building off my remarks or misunderstanding the reference (which was about giving JM control and not the attendance part as highlighted).

This is only my guess, but I suspect Hobbs in under pressure to make the RAC renovation pay for itself. In other words, to avoid a repeat of the football stadium renovation that forced Rutgers - the university, not athletics - to borrow $80 million in 2009 that taxpayers will being paying back until 2039.

That comes in two ways - donations and loans, with the RAC loans being paid by additional RAC revenues, not the taxpayers.

The lenders want to know the renovation will make enough money to repay them. Hobbs could be testing expensive luxury seats will generate that additional revenue to satisfy potential lenders.
None of the soon to be annual $100 million in B1G revenue doesn't count?

There is no reason Rutgers plans couldn't include both Super-premium and more Quality/Value seating (plus a general revenue generating entertainment area for pre-game and in-game).

Reactions: ScarletDave

great stuff! thank you.

It's kind of funny. People don't want luxury boxes or their ticket prices to go up but don't want to donate more than the minimum. I'm in 206 and have no prayer of getting in the 100s unless people die despite giving well over the minimum.
Yeah, because most of the people in the 100s for years are penny-pinching misers who donate the minimum. Really fact-based, informed take.

None of the soon to be annual $100 million in B1G revenue doesn't count?

There is no reason Rutgers plans couldn't include both Super-premium and more Quality/Value seating (plus a general revenue generating entertainment area for pre-game and in-game).
I want to answer your question but I could be banned from TKR. So I'll pass.

• Haha
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

They'll typically lock those people into 3-5 year deals

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I'm not understanding how seating is going to be reduced

Student section - moving closer to baseline and corners extended out = adding seats
100 level staying same
200 level staying same
300 level chairbacks = Losing a few seats

Old 118 getting blown up, mimicking student section but with seats (similar to Monmouth)? = adding seats
Suites / boxes above old 118 = adding seats

Boxes in between 100 and 200 level = adding seats

I must be missing something, b/c back of the napkin math has new capacity right around 10k

Student section - moving closer to baseline and corners extended out = adding seats
100 level staying same
200 level staying same

Old 118 getting blown up, mimicking student section but with seats (similar to Monmouth)? = adding seats

I must be missing something, b/c back of the napkin math has new capacity right around 10k
From your mouth to Hobbs ears.

100 level staying same
200 level staying same

100 level staying same
200 level staying same

Thank you. Your post provides more vision to a realistic RAC renovation than Hobbs and AECOM have given in the 43 months since Hobbs hired AECOM to do the job.

Thank you. Your post provides more vision to a realistic RAC renovation than Hobbs and AECOM have given in the 43 months since Hobbs hired AECOM to do the job.
I could be completely off in my estimates, but I am literally just spit bowling and not understanding how we are losing 300 seats as opposed to gaining 1500 to 2000

The only thing I can think of is if more space will be provided in 100 and 200 levels, 100 especially where they're rumored to be having club seats

Those seats are generally bigger and offer additional leg room - or, if the club in between the 100 and 200 level is large enough to take out rows of seats in each level (say, 5 rows in 100 and 5 rows in 200, stretching the length of the court)

I assume they're filling in the corners for the new 118 as well, mimicking what they're doing to the student section

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT