ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if a NIL deal doesn’t deliver?

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019

The Gators got Jaden Rashada, 5 * QB, to flip from Miami to the Gators. The commitment wasn’t finalized until NLI Day.

Miami offered him $9M but the Gators NIL collective offered a reported $13M.

Now reports are out the the Gators NIL deal is falling apart. Florida is offering him a smaller deal.

Rashada is now refusing to enroll at Florida and is asking to be let out of his commitment. Set the contract law aspect of NIL deals aside. Will the NCAA allow students to transfer without penalty if a NIL deal fails to deliver?

*disclaimer: I’m a believer that we need more NIL to retain talent and that we need to fund it as a fan base. It’s just a necessity of college sports fandom, like it or not. Some of you will say “see, recruits- NIL is bad” and use this as justification for not contributing yourselves.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: newell138
I like our strategy of paying existing, high performing players.

Paying high school recruits before they perform is super risky due to the number of 5 and 4 stars that flop. Even schools with many large donors will eventually get tired of lighting money on fire.

I used to always do this in NCAA football.
Guarantee to start? No problem.
Promise a particular number (even though our star QB already has it)? Sure.
They would always transfer out.

NCAA shouldn't let the player transfer.
However, it's going to cause a lot of a bad faith for the school.
Players talk to each other.

A lot of talk about "HC Schiano didn't bring in a QB in 2022 because he promised Wimsatt".
Well if that was true - and suppose we actually did break a promise - it looks bad with future recruits.

The Gators got Jaden Rashada, 5 * QB, to flip from Miami to the Gators. The commitment wasn’t finalized until NLI Day.

Wow. Talk about going to the highest bidder.
I know absolutely nothing about this guy, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd be cheering for. I'm surprised he would pass up that superior Miami education for $4 million more dollars.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Wow. Talk about going to the highest bidder.
I know absolutely nothing about this guy, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd be cheering for. I'm surprised he would pass up that superior Miami education for $4 million more dollars.
Florida ranked #29 and Miami is tied with RU at #55

Now reports are out the the Gators NIL deal is falling apart. Florida is offering him a smaller deal.

Rashada is now refusing to enroll at Florida and is asking to be let out of his commitment. Set the contract law aspect of NIL deals aside. Will the NCAA allow students to transfer without penalty if a NIL deal fails to deliver?

*disclaimer: I’m a believer that we need more NIL to retain talent and that we need to fund it as a fan base. It’s just a necessity of college sports fandom, like it or not. Some of you will say “see, recruits- NIL is bad” and use this as justification for not contributing yourselves.
Get your 🍿 ready.

Suppose Minnesota hired a Triple Option OC.
Would any of their QB/RR/WR commits be able to get out of their NLI signed in December?
I don't believe so. Only if HC leaves, right?

It's buyers beware for the players - same with NIL now.
It's an adult world out there.

However, Florida (as entire program/fanbase) doesn't want to get a reputation for not coming through with promises. Will be interesting how their recruiting goes for next year.

Reactions: Knightmoves

No, and the NCAA shouldn't let him transfer. Can't have it both ways - if NCAA does touch NIL then they can't touch it in this case. It's bad job by the kids advisors. Contract ain't a contract until it's signed.

At this point to keep any sanity left with this stuff, you should make commitments irreversible
Maybe legislation punishing universities in this situation also if NIL goes bad

It is an interesting situation

The lack of clarity of contractual terms from deal to deal can either be a benefit or a bear, depending on the stakeholder and who has leverage in a given negotiation. Athletes’ compensation can range from as little as literally $1 or free product — not even cash — to a reported $13 million deal for Florida quarterback signee Jaden Rashada.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT