ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite Seafood during the summer

Tilapia, two corn tortillas, slaw, habanero cilantro cream.......
---------
I loved tilapia, and sea bass.......problem is that when you read articles about how some of these are farm raised in almost cesspool conditions overseas.....the fish still looks do white and pure, but it spoils the idea of eating the fish

Heading to New Orleans this weekend and am looking forward to BBQ Shrimp, among other things seafood. It's not actually barbecued but it is phenomenal.
Do yourself a favor, charbroiled oysters @ Dragos. My mouth waters just thinking about them!

Grilled whole Fish. I buy a whole fish at the supermarket or fish market and have them gut it. cut 4-5 slices into each side of the fish at about 1 inch spaces. mix up some olive oil and spices and brush it on the skin adn into the slices you just cut. Throw on the grill for 5-10 minutes each side.

Grilled Fish on the bone is the most tender and moist I've had. if you do it on charcoal instead of gas, its even better...........

ive done perch, bronzini, striped bass, snapper,

Reactions: RUSK97
---------
I loved tilapia, and sea bass.......problem is that when you read articles about how some of these are farm raised in almost cesspool conditions overseas.....the fish still looks do white and pure, but it spoils the idea of eating the fish

I had a friend who took a flight next to a guy from the FDA...my friend, who loves fishing and eating fish, told me he will never eat Tilapia again after hearing what the FDA guy said...

MikeFla, another guy extremely jealous sitting here in my office on summer day...whatever you did, you did it right.

Broiled salmon, bbq Cod w a dump load of peppers, onions and garlic, sometimes raw clams on the half shell.

Headed to Cape Cod this weekend, for the week. The Lobster Roll is my favorite. I'll have a Lobster Roll each day on my vacation.

Headed to Cape Cod this weekend, for the week. The Lobster Roll is my favorite. I'll have a Lobster Roll each day on my vacation.

Its hot for the cape up here now, gonna be a great weekend. We'll be sporting the block R, of course the Yankees sticker on the roofie.

I've always been intrigued by the concept of the lobster roll. I had my first one at Paris in Vegas and I didn't care for it. They included celery in the mix and the taste overpowered the lobster. I'm looking forward to having a good one someday.

I've always been intrigued by the concept of the lobster roll. I had my first one at Paris in Vegas and I didn't care for it. They included celery in the mix and the taste overpowered the lobster. I'm looking forward to having a good one someday.

The Cape Cod establishments do it right. I love to find unknown food trucks by the docks and get myself a Lobster Roll

No one mention squid and octopus yet.

I don't necessarily associate it with with summer but my favorite all time octopus dish is the Korean noodles with spicy octopus in a red chili sauce. So spicy and so good. I imagine the spicy would be great on a hot steamy day (or on a cold winter day, too).

Nothing like dumping a half bushel of steam crabs that are loaded with Old Bay seasoning onto a table covered with newspaper, a bunch of cold beers and corn on the cob. Its's a great feast for family and friends. When the feast has ended you wrap up the debris in the newspapers and chuck it.

When in Baltimore try Faidley's crab cakes at the Lexington Market. They use real blue claw crabs, not like Phillips that uses the Asian Blue Swimmer. It's Phillips' dirty little secret.

i admit I am a sucker for clam strips, onion rings and coleslaw while up on the Cape. Healthy wise I like a nice grilled tuna. I also love the chowda on the Cape, but I eat in moderation as it is really just clams in congealed milk and butter.

I know I am not at the Jersey Shore, but the wife's vacation habits rule most years.

All year round: Swordfish (blackened).

MO

Type of boat, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm always interested in people's choices of liveaboards.
THANKS for asking. Its a pontoon boat I made into a houseboat. Rather the guy I bought it from made a shell that I completed and I added fridge/burners/sink and ran the electric. I added solar panels so it runs everything but the air cond which I run off a honda generator when absolutely necessary. The air cond I only run when anchored nowhere near anyone else is quiet and takes about $1.90 in gas overnight. Pretty cheap comfort.

My "salon" is 10ft x 12ft so it is roomy. I have a double+ bed a recliner, a double dinette that knocks down to a single bed like many travel trailers have.........I LOVE that the roof is solid and I can use it for relaxing or sunbathing.

I have always had sailboats. Comparatively this pontoon boat is almost effortless. The only downside is the pontoon boat is NOT seaworthy and I am relegated to the Keys with its barrier reefs and the intercoastal.

Do you go out diving when they have the small windows for spiny lobster season? I was in the keys last year around this time and we just saw loads of boaters out trying to fill their quota.
I DO! There is that pre-season then the real season,,,both short. I have a buddy that grew up in Miami and has strategically placed metal panels around Miami near bridges and cays...so I dont usually go to the Keys for my spineys. The lobsters LOVE being under the panels and we usually get our limit in a day.

If you are out in the open in the Keys(no panels) getting a lobster is WORK! They do scurry and its a hassle. The Miami panel trick means there will be as many as 8-10 in one place and you can get several at a time.

Just as much fun is scallop season. I have a special place in Yankeetown on the west coast. I usually get enough to eat/freeze for the year.

That is living the dream! So jealous
I have experimented with a bunch of options since I retired 8 years ago.
-RVing,,,still love it but it has its limitations
-Living aboard a sailboat..was my boyhood dream..did it...sailboats are a LOT of work and very expensive...expensive to buy.... expensive to moor...people assume you are rich if you have a sailboat and anything with the word sailboat on it triples in cost..
-Costa Rica...I have a house there...bought a house for a song 8years ago for less than 10k.....still love it

-the pontoon(house boat) is the best so far. I bought it cheap from a guy whose wife was about to divorce him if he didnt stop working on the boat 24/7 converting it into a houseboat. I bought it..WITH a trailer for less than a used car. The motor was too small(45 horse) so I upgraded to an 85 horse and finished the thing off with a song in my heart daily...LOVED working on it! I am moored right now in Key Largo and most of the time I just pick an island(cay) and anchor. I like the "C" shaped cays>>>just motor in and no waves when the big boys go by. My fav cay is near Key West and has palm trees and its own beach. I get TV(Miami when in Key Largo and Key West stations when I am south) via the digital box many of us have in our homes.I get internet via my cellphone and an umbilcal a Russian friend rigged to connect to a flat screen.

I wake up to blue water in the AM.....I actually have a feral dolphin(think feral cat LOL) who visits regularly esp when I fillet fish for dinner..he LOVES the scraps. I know its the same guy because he has a scar on its head. I am an old guy,,,65 LOL and I enjoy naps and the internet hahahaha. My gal LOVES being on board and we are ALREADY making plans to buy a bigger pontoon boat as I LOVE to build stuff!!! And the sunsets and moon skies aint bad either. I am over the moon happy!

-Living aboard a sailboat..was my boyhood dream..did it...sailboats are a LOT of work and very expensive...expensive to buy.... expensive to moor...people assume you are rich if you have a sailboat and anything with the word sailboat on it triples in cost..
-Costa Rica...I have a house there...bought a house for a song 8years ago for less than 10k.....still love it

-the pontoon(house boat) is the best so far. I bought it cheap from a guy whose wife was about to divorce him if he didnt stop working on the boat 24/7 converting it into a houseboat. I bought it..WITH a trailer for less than a used car. The motor was too small(45 horse) so I upgraded to an 85 horse and finished the thing off with a song in my heart daily...LOVED working on it! I am moored right now in Key Largo and most of the time I just pick an island(cay) and anchor. I like the "C" shaped cays>>>just motor in and no waves when the big boys go by. My fav cay is near Key West and has palm trees and its own beach. I get TV(Miami when in Key Largo and Key West stations when I am south) via the digital box many of us have in our homes.I get internet via my cellphone and an umbilcal a Russian friend rigged to connect to a flat screen.

I wake up to blue water in the AM.....I actually have a feral dolphin(think feral cat LOL) who visits regularly esp when I fillet fish for dinner..he LOVES the scraps. I know its the same guy because he has a scar on its head. I am an old guy,,,65 LOL and I enjoy naps and the internet hahahaha. My gal LOVES being on board and we are ALREADY making plans to buy a bigger pontoon boat as I LOVE to build stuff!!! And the sunsets and moon skies aint bad either. I am over the moon happy!

That sounds pretty friggin awesome! I love where I live in NJ and plan on spending the rest of my life here but my tolerance for winter is quickly declining. Besides I want to stay here in the fall at least for football. My plan when I retire in 10 years is to spend 2-3 months somewhere warm in a rental. I don't want to buy anything because there are so many places I want to explore. Living on a boat in the Keys would be a great way to spend a winter. I was watching a new show called Ice Lake Rebels or something like that. Its the opposite of where you are. These people live on homemade houseboats on a lake up in MN or somewhere up that way and the lake is frozen for about 5 months and its basically 0 degrees. That sounds like pure hell to me.

Reactions: mikefla

--------

When I grow up I want to be you

That sounds pretty friggin awesome! I love where I live in NJ and plan on spending the rest of my life here but my tolerance for winter is quickly declining. Besides I want to stay here in the fall at least for football. My plan when I retire in 10 years is to spend 2-3 months somewhere warm in a rental. I don't want to buy anything because there are so many places I want to explore. Living on a boat in the Keys would be a great way to spend a winter. I was watching a new show called Ice Lake Rebels or something like that. Its the opposite of where you are. These people live on homemade houseboats on a lake up in MN or somewhere up that way and the lake is frozen for about 5 months and its basically 0 degrees. That sounds like pure hell to me.

Dude - you live in OC - it barely ever snows there and it's always balmy. :>)

Funny how different people are. The last place I can imagine living (other than maybe Pyongyang) is on a boat. Just no interest. And living anywhere where it can't snow at least some is out for me, as you might imagine. Been thinking a lot lately about figuring out a way to afford living in NYC for retirement or at least for a few years of it...

Funny how different people are. The last place I can imagine living (other than maybe Pyongyang) is on a boat. Just no interest. And living anywhere where it can't snow at least some is out for me, as you might imagine. Been thinking a lot lately about figuring out a way to afford living in NYC for retirement or at least for a few years of it...

I'll sell you, or anybody else interested, a pretty nice co-op unit a block off central park west for under a million.

Hey,,thats fine.....everyone has different dreams. I grew up in upstate NY and hate snow,,,havent seen snow since 1982 and have no plans to do so. But I understand wanting to live in NYC. I was born in Queens.

I fully expect to take the intercoastal up as far as NJ now and spend part of EVERY summer(more like straddling Aug/Sept to catch a football game or two)in NYC and want to spend time cycling Manhattan and just hanging out and connecting with old friends.I have a slip on Staten Island a friend will rent me with electric.....I am working out the details.......the PBoat is trailerable and I might just tow it up in AUG and have a shakedown cruise.

This whole houseboat thing has been a game changer...the Costa Rica plan will play itself out and the Fla Keys plan will take over!

Cheers!

Hey,,thats fine.....everyone has different dreams. I grew up in upstate NY and hate snow,,,havent seen snow since 1982 and have no plans to do so. But I understand wanting to live in NYC. I was born in Queens.

I fully expect to take the intercoastal up as far as NJ now and spend part of EVERY summer(more like straddling Aug/Sept to catch a football game or two)in NYC and want to spend time cycling Manhattan and just hanging out and connecting with old friends.I have a slip on Staten Island a friend will rent me with electric.....I am working out the details.......the PBoat is trailerable and I might just tow it up in AUG and have a shakedown cruise.

This whole houseboat thing has been a game changer...the Costa Rica plan will play itself out and the Fla Keys plan will take over!

Cheers!
So here's the kicker - can you sail up the Kill into the Raritan and dock in downtown NB on gameday?

Reactions: rutexan84
So here's the kicker - can you sail up the Kill into the Raritan and dock in downtown NB on gameday?
From what I see on my navigational maps, the intercoastal gets iffy for me between Sandy Hook and Staten Island....my seafaring friend on SI is suggesting I trailer the PBoat up and according to him I CAN "put in" on the Raritan...never thought about that before,,,,great idea !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT