ADVERTISEMENT

Who are your top 5 all-time favorite RU players?

Ron Harper
Jeff Greer
Ricky Shields
Rashod Kent
Quincy Douby

Also liked Marques Webb, Joel Salvi, Jamal Phillips, Dahntay Jones for 2 years here, Geoff Billet, and Kadeem Jack/Myles Mack (they both deserved so much better)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I found his student ID card once when he was Jamar Holcomb. One day I saw him at a bus-stop and returned it to him. With a high pitched Mike Tyson like voice he said something like, "Hey thanks man I appreciate it". Like another poster said about Alvydas Tenys, an extremely polite guy. Perhaps not the type that is comfortable or enjoys competing against others.
Damn man! That’s a great memory. I almost forgot about Tenys too. I really think he was a missed opportunity or he just missed his era. He could’ve been pretty good with the right coach and/or system.

Thought this would be a cool post to take a trip down memory lane. What’s your top 5?

It’ll be cool to see the different eras in this thread and hear any specifics on the older players that get name dropped.

I’ll kick it off:

1. Quincy Douby - remember this dude getting essentially triple teamed and still dropping 25 points? Quincy’s range was the craziest thing I’ve seen. Also the tampering attempts by multiple blue blood programs and him sticking with RU.

2. Ollie Bailey - I forget which year it was, maybe his junior year(?) he took such a massive leap. OB would straight up kill the rim any chance he got. I follow his business page on Instagram, doing workouts and training younger players. Not sure what his story is with RU, but would love to see him come back to the RAC someday soon.

3. Corey Sanders - dude was just electric. Loved his fight and what he did for RU, even down big in games he looked like he would never accept defeat until the clock hit 0. I remember watching his hometown hoops videos when he first committed, they were great.

4. Hamady N’Daiye - elite shot blocker. Was he the last RU player to get drafted? He was another one that took a massive leap later in his career after being so raw early on. I believe it was the hook shot that he developed pretty well.

5. Ant Farmer - tough one here for me, but I sat next to Farmer’s dad when I was a kid going to the games. Used to hang out and talk with him all the time, just a great great guy. Ant didn’t blow up the stat sheet, but I felt he was generally a steady player on the court in a time that seemed so up and down in the program.

Let’s hear from the board.
While I get there may be some recency bias, shocked that you don’t have anyone from the last couple teams we’ve had. After all, none of those players you mentioned ever made an NCAA Tournament. But with that said my list:
1. Quincy Douby- think I was about 12 when he was draining 3s from all over the place. He really made me fall in love with not just RU basketball but all RU sports
2. Geo Baker- not the best player we’ve ever had but was a great Scarlet Knight and so clutch. He ultimately helped break our 30 year tournament drought.
3. Harper- two of the biggest shots in Rutgers basketball history. Taking down #1 Purdue and dropping his nuts on Indiana
4. Lamizana- hell of a scorer. Another guy who made me fall in love with RU hoops and the RAC. 2004 team was fun Doubys frosh year. My first game ever at the RAC Ru erased a 10 point deficit vs Providence capped off by a Lamizana buzzer beating corner 3 to win it.
5. Mcconell- not flashy offensively like the 4 others on the list but man does he do all the dirty work. Rebounds elite defense hustle plays and the occasional clutch basket.
Honorable mentions:
Corey Sanders
Hamady Ndiaye
Cliff Omoruryi
Paul Mulcahy
Jacob Young
Obviously I didn’t include any players I did not watch live

Bobby Lloyd
Phil Sellers
Hollis Copeland
Jerome Coleman
Rashod Kent
Les Cason (honorable mention because I grew up and played with him)
Played babe Ruth with him
He didn’t even make it a full semester with RU I think

Chicken cutlets Kobol! Definitely part of my Avis we try harder team!
Seeing many of the players like Eric Clark, Chuck Weiler, Jamal Phillips, Andrew Kobolsovsky mentioned here makes me think its almost time for another favorite lunch pail type player thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Question isn’t who’s best ? It’s who your favorites are. Naming the final four team, Hinson, Douby are probably not all time favorites for so many.
Maybe before their time
Hinson and Douby certainly would be favorites if recent fans had watched them

Reactions: shields
Very good player who I really enjoyed watching play... What happened to him in '89-'90 and 90'-91' when he missed so many games? Was it injury, ineligibility, or both? Can't help but wonder if we had him healthy and/or eligible in both those seasons if we'd have been even more successful.
Yeah he was the A-10 tourney MVP in 89. Seemed like he really didn’t fit too great with Hughes-Duncan the next year . Then I think he flunked out in 90-1991 after the first semester . Ironically, then Hughes and Duncan and the rest of the team went on to a great season.

1. Myles Johnson - loved his growth as a player. He is B1G defensive player of the year if we had the same respect 3 years ago that we have now
2. Douby - most electric scorer I have seen in an RU jersey
3. Geo - the Brian Leonard to Rutgers basketball. True Pioneer
4. Myles Mack - had to deal with some awful teams and even worse coaching. He should’ve ran away from Rutgers at any point but stuck it out. Very underrated because of how bad those teams were (not his fault)
5. Hamedy - Just a flat out Dog. Turkey horrifying presence in the paint.

Honorable mention - Herve Lamazana
Myles Mack ! Yeah that kid deserved a lot of credit for sticking it out here.

Reactions: ScarletR30
I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1995 so will limit my favorites as such and I hope I don’t miss many in no order of preference:

Geoff Billet
Geo Baker
Rob Hodgson
Jeff Greer
Earl Johnson
Quincy Douby
Ron Harper
Ricky Shields
Corey Sanders
Paul Mulcahy
Myles Mack
Eli Carter
Gil Beruta
Herve
Rashod Kent

Now to my final 5 - yikes:

Geo
Billet
Douby
Harper
Paul Mulcahy.

Last edited:
Geoff Billett - Clutch shooter and a huge get for the program. I don't remember him ever missing a free throw. Talked to him several times in the Corner Tavern when he wasn't toting that f-ing weirdo Josh Sankes around with him. You remember Josh, he decided to disclose he suffered from some kind of palsy on his way out the transfer door because of the free throw incident.

Eric Clark - Terrific defender and a very kind, down to Earth person off the court. Took time with fans. Spoke with him several times.

Ricky Shields - Always seemed to come up big when we needed it. Great sense of humor. Walked right in front of me after the Iowa St. NIT game at MSG. I yelled, "That's Rick Shields BITCH!" and he started laughing hysterically. The old fart next to me gets snotty and scolds me when he sees an older woman walking behind him. Ricky stops and says, "That's my MOM and she loves that shit!". Good times.

Rashod Kent - An absolute UNIT under the basket. Took that talent to the NFL but he had some problems with the law. Loved his rallying the crowd in the game vs. The Smurfs when Marcus Toney-El tried to kill Mike Sherrod. He really got into the "Lane's (Darius) a Pu$$y" chant and gestured to the student section continuously because he knew it was getting to him.

Jason Maronge - Played nine whole minutes in his Rutgers career but they were some of the best I can remember for THAT era. Maronge was Wenzel's enforcer. Similar to a hockey goon. Wenzel would send him in, he'd deliver the message and get the foul and then quickley come back out. His crowning moment was putting Danny Hurley on his arrogant ass at mid court in a game where he just insisted on chirping at the RU bench. Maronge put a forearm shiv right in Danny's chest and he went down hard. Game had to be stopped for several minutes while he was tended to. He came back towards the end of the game but he wasn't chirping anymore.
Great post

My favorite Jason Maronge memory: Him stomping on the chest of JB Reafsnyder when he was on his back with his sneaker during a game vs Syracuse at the RAC. And I don’t recall anyone at Syracuse going after Maronge either.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-AGK
I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1995 so will limit my favorites as such and I hope I don’t miss many in no order of preference:

Geoff Billet
Geo Baker
Rob Hodgson
Jeff Greer
Earl Johnson
Quincy Douby
Ron Harper
Ricky Shields
Corey Sanders
Paul Mulcahy
Myles Mack
Eli Carter
Gil Beruta
Herve
Rashod Kent

Now to my final 5 - yikes:

Geo
Billet
Douby
Harper
Paul Mulcahy.
Some honorable mentions of guys with guttiness and or zaniness:

Eric Clark
Terry Mills
Jerome Coleman
Sam Sanders
Mike Sherrodd
Andrew Kobolsavsky.

Last edited:
Sellers
Hinson
Bailey
Jordan
Battle

Douby
Billett
Savage
Dadika
Dabney

Name that I haven’t seen mentioned who played his guts out and was pretty damn good and sadly forgotten was Steve Worthy.

For pure fun and D, Darius and Jacob Young!

Who could forget the Rodney Duncan saga? Lol! Big deal at the time.

Last edited:
While I get there may be some recency bias, shocked that you don’t have anyone from the last couple teams we’ve had. After all, none of those players you mentioned ever made an NCAA Tournament.
Yeah idk, could be more nostalgia for me than anything else.

Most of the guys I listed are from when I was young and more impressionable

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Seeing Herve’s name in here is great though, dude was a freak.

Wildly inconsistent, but when he was on it was nuts

Indeed was a great era! I was a student in the late 90s and this group and many amazing games helped make my allegiance switch easy and prolonged. Soooo close to making the tourney.
Yes I graduated in 2000, lots of fun games at the RAC, Hodgson was a great player, Kent was a beast down low…year 1 and 3 of the waters era were also near misses for the tourney…shields/Coleman, shields/douby

My 5 would be

Douby
RHJ
The Man Mulcahy
Salvi
Cliff

Eugene Omuruyi makes this list over Salvi if he doesn’t transfer and Myles Johnson was an all time Rut ambassador but the ucla transfer still stung

James Bailey
Roy Hinson
John Battle
Ron Harper, Jr
Quincy Douby

Second five of favorites to watch
Geo Baker
Donnell Lumpkin
Myles Johnson
Abdel Anderson
Tom Savage

Sellers---the best
Jordan---made a lot of jumpers in 1976
Geooooooo
RHJ
Hinson---scary D

Honorable Mention

Kelvin Troy--- distinctly remember how he casually stepped on an opponent's head in front of the away bench at the RAC and hearing it bounce off the floor
Cliff--- love the athleticism, rebounds and his #11
Kent---as much heart as anyone
Douby---deadly
The center in 73-74 before the Final Four guys arrived. He was only 6'4" but with a tight end body. Can't remember his name.

Pete Marcotte
Robin James
Charlie Jones
Al Karner
Darko M
A true Bob Wenzel all star team. Robin James was the worst RU player I ever saw up until his SR season. All credit to him as he actually has a good Senior year.

Was a frosh when Lloyd and Valvano played so I’ve seen quite a few. Going to pick five I remember for some quirky reason rather than some of the biggest stars.
Abdel Anderson - no one would criticize him for having a low release point.
Tenys - had one outstanding game against Nova when we beat them -still bust on my Nova grad daughter about it.
Lumpkin - who can forget the high socks
Riggins -00
Troy - used to love him leading warmups

I’m have to assume the OP question doesn’t include players you haven’t seen…multiple answers don’t include Hinson which is beyond laughable
I picked my list on the players who struck a cord (the highest cords) with me for one reason or another. I never watched Hinson or some of the other great Rutgers players mentioned.

Sellers---the best
Jordan---made a lot of jumpers in 1976
Geooooooo
RHJ
Hinson---scary D

Honorable Mention

Kelvin Troy--- distinctly remember how he casually stepped on an opponent's head in front of the away bench at the RAC and hearing it bounce off the floor
Cliff--- love the athleticism, rebounds and his #11
Kent---as much heart as anyone
Douby---deadly
The center in 73-74 before the Final Four guys arrived. He was only 6'4" but with a tight end body. Can't remember his name.
Are you thinking Vinnie Roundtree? Took over as "Center" when Gene Armstead graduated, I think. He had an unbelievable senior year (I think), which was my sophomore year. 95% of his points came on baseline jumpers!! He was one of my favorite players, almost put him in my 5 favorite list. Vinnie was responsible for almost as many paint chips falling off the Barn ceiling as Phil and Dabney! When Sellers and Dip were not scoring on fast breaks, the ball would end up with Vinnie on the baseline in the half-court offense...jumper...good!! TRE-E-E!! Great times. GO RU!

Last edited:
Nearly impossible to narrow it to 5.

But I will say Donnell Lumpkin and Jamal Phillips are both great guys who played their asses off for Rutgers.

Steve Worthy also had a really good 2-year run here.

In modern times, Baker and Mack deserve a lot of love from fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT