ADVERTISEMENT

Zavier Simpson situation comes out

Yeah, but since he lied about his name and involvement in the accident in the first place, as per the excerpt below, why should we believe that he was sober? Especially since the report also said that, "Officers noticed Simpson stumbling when entering the car as the point guard said he was trying to retrieve proof that it was Evan Manuel’s car." Also, in what police department don't they perform a breathalyzer test when someone is in an accident, lies about it and visibly stumbles? Now, we'll never know for sure, but this one stinks to high heaven of a cover-up.

Exactly. Don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind is blowing here. Not only did he lie about his identity but he denied he was the driver. He was drinking. Why else deny that he was driving, unless he stole the car? And, the cops didn't breath-a-lize him after they recognized that he was the starting point guard of their beloved Wolverines.

Exactly. Don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind is blowing here. Not only did he lie about his identity but he denied he was the driver. He was drinking. Why else deny that he was driving, unless he stole the car? And, the cops didn't breath-a-lize him after they recognized that he was the starting point guard of their beloved Wolverines.

But they didn't know he was the driver until 10 days later.
The car was registered to a different family entirely.

He admitted to it after the cops talked to the AD's wife (registered owner of the car).
At the scene, he said he happened to walk upon the accident.

The question is did the cops lie about "there was no smell of alcohol".
If you take that as true - what is the basis to administer a breathalyzer?

Reactions: RU-ROCS
honestly maybe it was just because he knew he wasn't authorized nor shouldn't be driving the car? we've all umped to conclusions before, no?
we'll see. but if I were Rutgers I'd have a Car reserved and waiting for him at EWR with a sign flashing "Simpson car here" ..just pick up and drive.

Students should have fun with this one...maybe do that "jingle the keys thing" on free throws?

There are facts omitted. Usually when facts are omitted they aren’t good.

Why was Simpson not issued a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident?
Why was he not cited for providing a false statement to the police, lying about his identity?
Why was Simpson not given a breathalyzer test after police saw him stumble at 3:03 AM after a one vehicle crash?

But they didn't know he was the driver until 10 days later.
The car was registered to a different family entirely.

He admitted to it after the cops talked to the AD's wife (registered owner of the car).
At the scene, he said he happened to walk upon the accident.

The question is did the cops lie about "there was no smell of alcohol".
If you take that as true - what is the basis to administer a breathalyzer?

I don't see the timeline you refer to. I read the article to say that he admitted the car was the AD's son at the crash scene and then stumbled as he went into the car trying to get the registration to show to the cops. That alone debunks his story that he was not in the car and just happened upon the scene. Admittedly it's just a reasonable inference, but when you've got a guy that you observe stumbling, who lies about his ID, who is the only one in the vicinity of the crashed car, who admits he knows whose car it is and then you recognize him as a star basketball player and don't breathalyze him . . . . . well . . . . .

Why was Simpson not issued a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident?
Why was he not cited for providing a false statement to the police, lying about his identity?
Why was Simpson not given a breathalyzer test after police saw him stumble at 3:03 AM after a one vehicle crash?

What is this "leaving the scene" everyone keeps referring too?

A ticket for giving a different name that you immediately admit to when they recognize you? Come on.

Car is registered to someone completely different.
If it wasn't considered "stolen" then what is the basis for assuming he was the driver and not believing his story?

People sure are cool with police making wild assumptions about guilt with little reasoning it seems.

I don't see the timeline you refer to. I read the article to say that he admitted the car was the AD's son at the crash scene and then stumbled as he went into the car trying to get the registration to show to the cops. That alone debunks his story that he was not in the car and just happened upon the scene. Admittedly it's just a reasonable inference, but when you've got a guy that you observe stumbling, who lies about his ID, who is the only one in the vicinity of the crashed car, who admits he knows whose car it is and then you recognize him as a star basketball player and don't breathalyze him . . . . . well . . . . .

It was the team managers car.
I would assume every player and coach on the team could identify it.

From the article:
Officers later spoke with Chrislan Manuel, the wife of the athletic director and registered owner of the car, who spoke with Evan and relayed to police that Simpson was in fact the driver, police reported. When interviewed on Feb. 5 by an investigator, Simpson said he drove the car into a utility pole due to icy conditions, according to the police report.

That is 10 days later he admitted to being driver.

Too bad this didn’t come out before Court Club meeting. Our compliance guy might have had some interesting comments

I don't know the rules. Is the AD's wife's car off-limits even if he has a personal relationship with her son? Is a one-time use excepted?
not sure but the rule of thumb is supposed to be you cannot give anything to a player that you don't give to general student pop. You cannot buy them a meal.. etc. I know a booster couldn't provide transportation... but a friend? a student-manager? Not sure.

Was this the first time? Doubtful.. though maybe he drove like that.. come to think of it.. did he have a drivers license? Insurance?

I'm not going to say the kid was drinking or not as it isn't fair to do so. It also seems he may have come about the car legally, AD's son...(though, not sure if that is a violation or not)
My concern in this whole thing is after he stumbles and gives a false name, why in the hell was he not given a breatholizer?

Reactions: TRU2RU
I'm not going to say the kid was drinking or not as it isn't fair to do so. It also seems he may have come about the car legally, AD's son...(though, not sure if that is a violation or not)
My concern in this whole thing is after he stumbles and gives a false name, why in the hell was he not given a breatholizer?
They claimed that they didn’t smell alcohol. Think they had plenty of reason to test him even without smelling alcohol. Maybe he was high. Great job, Ann Arbor police. Everyone involved is a joke and covering something up.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
They claimed that they didn’t smell alcohol. Think they had plenty of reason to test him even without smelling alcohol. Maybe he was high. Great job, Ann Arbor police. Everyone involved is a joke and covering something up.
3am- accident, car not registered to him, left scene, gave false name, staggering
They give you a ST even if you forgot to use your blinker at 3am in the morning and even more so if you are a young black man. I didnt see the year/make of car, but also assuming it was a nice car as well.

3am- accident, car not registered to him, left scene, gave false name, staggering
They give you a ST even if you forgot to use your blinker at 3am in the morning and even more so if you are a young black man. I didn't see the year/make of car, but also assuming it was a nice car as well.
I suppose there is a possibility that the car is in the AD's son's name.. but really, it is the star players to use. I'd check to see if the AD's son has another car. But no one is going to do that.. they didn't do a ST so why would they investigate further? Maybe an insurance company.. but something tells me there will be no claim and the street light will be paid for by the AD as well. NCAA not going to investigate.. its Michigan, not Eastern Michigan.

I suppose there is a possibility that the car is in the AD's son's name.. but really, it is the star players to use. I'd check to see if the AD's son has another car. But no one is going to do that.. they didn't do a ST so why would they investigate further? Maybe an insurance company.. but something tells me there will be no claim and the street light will be paid for by the AD as well. NCAA not going to investigate.. its Michigan, not Eastern Michigan.
I am going to bet that insurance would not be covering this...
I am also going to bet that if another young man of his age that was not a "star" anything was in the same exact situation, they would have been answering to more than team rules.

I don't know the rules. Is the AD's wife's car off-limits even if he has a personal relationship with her son? Is a one-time use excepted?
Rule specifically says boosters can't loan the use of a car. Linked in earlier post. The wife of the AD is a booster by definition.

Reactions: thegock
I think I read the car was 8 years old. I think it was a Toyota but I might be wrong. I am surprised the cops at the accident have not been taken to task for not giving a breathalizer test.

These are the types of win at all costs schools we are competing with.

We can cry about it, but it ain't changing. So that leaves one other alternative if we want to win.

Ann Arbor MI is not NJ.

They may handle their business a little differently out there.

Interesting video, thanks for posting. Wondering what happened next.

hmmm go to a point where it said "Audio Redacted by AAPD".. hmmm..

He as asked something like "what's your real information?" after confronting him about the lie about his name

Ann Arbor MI is not NJ.

They may handle their business a little differently out there.
Its a small College Town where everyone cares about the University because most of the adults in the town work at the University or the University medical center or are passionate about the football and/or basketball teams. Heck, didn't the cop recognized Simpson?

Not much different than Knoxville, Gainesville, Norman etc.

Also, as most big time programs do, they have several alumni lawyers more than willing to represent a football or men's basketball player in these types of situations.

It's how they get down in small college towns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT