ADVERTISEMENT

10 top Rutgers football playmakers: Who can change games?

Alaska_Dawg

Senior
Jul 6, 2016
http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/rutgers/2016/07/07/top-rutgers-football-playmakers/86784692/

Whether employing a spread offense or a pro-style offense, a conservative defense or an attacking defense, Rutgers football is going to need playmakers.

The schematic changes installed by first-year coach Chris Ash are a welcome change for players and fans alike. But that only will continue to be the case if the results are there.

So who can make plays in an era without gamebreakers like NFL rookies Leonte Carroo and Steve Longa?

READ: Rutgers schedule: Ranking opponents 1-12

READ: Where does Chris Ash stand on Rutgers QBs after Zach Allen transfer?

Here is Gannett New Jersey's list of Rutgers' top 10 playmakers. Some of the names may surprise you:

10. RB Trey Sneed: Start with a wild card. Sneed enrolled in January and hasn’t played a college snap yet, but he might already be a projected starter if Rutgers wasn’t loaded at halfback or if he played wide receiver or tight end. The possibility of a redshirt went out the window when Ash deemed Sneed game-ready after falling in love with his preparation. The quick first step helps, too.

9. QB Zach Allen: Whether or not Allen beats out Chris Laviano and/or Hayden Rettig to be the starter, the dual-threat TCU transfer with two years of eligibilityshould have a role because he offers a dimension that the others don’t. Imagine a quarterback option in short yardage or in the red zone. That’s a big element ofoffensive coordinator Drew Mehringer’s designs for the spread whether it’s with his starter or in a sub package.

8. DE Kemoko Turay: Maybe a veteran defensive line starter should occupy this spot instead of a backup with a long way to go. On top of a quiet sophomore season, Turay’s recovery from two shoulder surgeries kept him out of spring camp, setting the raw athlete further behind an already steep learning curve. But picturing Turay’s speed pass rush and blocked-kick athleticism blossoming under the right coaching is so tantalizing.

7. LB Najee Clayton: Whereas weakside linebacker was the position where action was funneled in the old Rutgers’ defense, strongside linebacker is the coveted playmaking home in Ash’s scheme. Clayton gets the call as a sophomore with three career tackles and the former safety has studied tape of Jets rookie Darron Lee at Ohio State to better conceptualize his role.

6. RB Josh Hicks: He may be more thunder than lightning in a duo, but Hicks will do more than move the chains on third-and-short. He rushed for 674 yards and four touchdowns last season on the heels of 2014 Quick Lane Bowl MVP honors. The best proof of his playmaking came when he made six tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception in emergency duty at safety against Army.

5. WR Carlton Agudosi: Most of Agudosi’s projected impact is exactly that … a projection. The 6-foot-6 lanky galloper’s many dominant performances during intra-squad scrimmages haven’t been there on gamedays, when he has 27 catches and one touchdown in four years. But, with defenses alert for short routes, look for Agudosi to get in 1-on-1 coverage downfield.

4. SS Anthony Cioffi: Any notion that Cioffi’s nose for the ball is just good luck was dispelled when Ash included his trusted senior among the first players Knighted. Aftertwo years at corner and another at free safety, Cioffi has seen it all while compiling six career interceptions, three fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and 2.5 sacks. Press coverage fits his physical style.

3. DL Darius Hamilton: It’s difficult to slot Hamilton given that he missed all but a limited part of one game last season due to a knee injury. But the former five-star recruit was ahead of schedule in the spring and his resume indicates a disruptive force with 23 tackles for loss and 10 sacks as an undersized sophomore and a junior.The new, bulked-up version could be harder to block.

2. RB Robert Martin: Despite making just one start, Martin led Rutgers with 763 rushing yards and ranked No. 6 in the Big Ten and No. 58 nationally with a per carry average of 5.41 yards. He also showed home-run ability with runs of 54, 35 and 30. You can bet Martin has Nov. 5 against Indiana circled on his calendar. He already hastwo career three-touchdown games in the series.

1. WR Janarion Grant: In a 40-minute game with some running clock, Grant made 11 catches for 140 yards and a touchdown during the spring game. That says everything about how important the shifty 5-foot-10, 176-pound slot receiver is in an offense reliant on quick passes. It’s about time Rutgers’ career leader in special teams return yardage translates his skills to offense.

iu

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
you'll definitely fit right in here bro... there is bitching and moaning about certain topics among the fan base, which you'll see.. but in the end all of us want the same thing come game day.. a win

also there is a political board to talk about that stuff.. it's the Current Event, Politics, and Off Topic Banter board..... it's mostly political shit

Hey Dawg:

R U going to stay with us all year until the return match next season? Also are you coming east in 2017?

Hey Dawg:

R U going to stay with us all year until the return match next season? Also are you coming east in 2017?
I'm going to do my best to try and fly down to the game in Seattle but I don't think I'll make the game in New Jersey due to logistics.

I'll be sticking around here to see how Rutgers pans out under their new HC. I think he's going to do good things with this program. He's already making a dent recruiting wise.

Reactions: R1776U
Not sure why they have Agudosi on there at #5 and Grant at #1 with Patton no where to be found...he is our leading returning receiver.

Thanks. :) You were always a solid poster on Soundoff. I noticed a few of the regulars on that board are posting on here. This board is pretty active although I feel like Napoleon when he got exiled to Elba.
i still pwn beeoches on soundoff... and some of those posters i told about this board and how good it is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT