ADVERTISEMENT

18 min 12 pts

snowboarder

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2004
How long can you play the best offensive player on the team 18 minutes
I understand the kid is not great defensively but how many guys do we have that can get 20 a game on our roster.
If the kid plays 30 minutes a game, he will be our leading scorer, no doubt in my mind
If Ace and Dylan are not up to it defensively, do they sit too next year?
When you have a player with this much talent, its the coaches responsibility to figure out how to use it.
We outplayed GTown by 6 in the first half with his bad defense
We out played Gtown by 5 in the second with him on the bench and a better defensive player in his place.
Get him 10 3pt attempts a game and you get 12 pts right there
There are two sides to a game and one is the offense

I think you have to look at it as he is a true freshman and he needs to fully understand that this is a lot harder than HS. My wife mentioned that he really looked winded. His missing both foul shots late in the game surprised me and made me think he was tired.

I think you have to look at it as he is a true freshman and he needs to fully understand that this is a lot harder than HS. My wife mentioned that he really looked winded. His missing both foul shots late in the game surprised me and made me think he was tired.
People want to run him into the ground. Dylan Harper is a top 5 prospect in part because he is expected to be able to withstand a high level of energy output and physicality from the get go. It’s part of the package. Gavin will be better in this department next year. This year like many highly utilized freshman he will battle fatigue and has to be managed carefully.

Edit: Davis is far more advanced in this department than Gavin, for example, while not being half the shooter Gavin is.

How long can you play the best offensive player on the team 18 minutes
I understand the kid is not great defensively but how many guys do we have that can get 20 a game on our roster.
If the kid plays 30 minutes a game, he will be our leading scorer, no doubt in my mind
If Ace and Dylan are not up to it defensively, do they sit too next year?
When you have a player with this much talent, its the coaches responsibility to figure out how to use it.
We outplayed GTown by 6 in the first half with his bad defense
We out played Gtown by 5 in the second with him on the bench and a better defensive player in his place.
Get him 10 3pt attempts a game and you get 12 pts right there
There are two sides to a game and one is the offense
I’m really happy Gavin is here and he’s going to be very good. Pike’s job is to win games. Gavin will play more when his game improves. Pike is bring him along at the right pace and his minutes will go as his defense develops. It’s not complicated and it’s the normal process.

Last edited:
He’s talented obviously. He had a nice spurt at the start but then a real tough time on both ends his second run. He will be more consistent as time goes on and get more minutes.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Barring injury, not sure I see anyone on this roster averaging 30+ minutes. Pike is running pressure D sets (Full, 3/4). He also requires his forwards to rotate out and on the arc to double or trap and then back quickly. Lots of high energy and 9-10 man rotation likely necessary. Plus Mag will get minutes once back as well. So far 6 guys averaging 20+ min and 2 more at 19+.

GG is averaging 11.5 pts on 21 minutes per game. He’s doing fine. I’d like to see him play more but I get it — he hasn’t found his defensive rhythm yet.

And I agree with the comment above — Pike needs to stop taking out guys who feeling it.

Scored 10 in the first. The guy, Styles that he was guarding for a stretch in the first half probably had 12 points when Gavin was guarding him.

Sitting a true freshmen when the defense and the defensive effort was lacking,......That never happens in college basketball, lol😂.

Sitting and watching will help him see what's required in terms of total effort.

The fact that he is a freshman is irrelevant, he is still the best scorer on the team.
GG .52 pts per minute which over 33 minutes would be 17.44 per game
Aundre .48 pts per minute which would be 16 over 33 minutes
I dont think playing him 5 minutes in the second half will help his confidence
Play him 18 minutes a game and you wont see him in Scarlet as a sophmore
This isnt 1979, he can play for anyone he wants to next year
You think he sits that much for Purdue or Iowa?

The fact that he is a freshman is irrelevant, he is still the best scorer on the team.
GG .52 pts per minute which over 33 minutes would be 17.44 per game
Aundre .48 pts per minute which would be 16 over 33 minutes
I dont think playing him 5 minutes in the second half will help his confidence
Play him 18 minutes a game and you wont see him in Scarlet as a sophmore
This isnt 1979, he can play for anyone he wants to next year
You think he sits that much for Purdue or Iowa?
What was his pts per minute against Bryant when he played 29 minutes, shot 18%, 12% on threes and scored 5 Points ????

He wouldn't even be starting at Purdue or Iowa this year, 😂😂

YES.....he is a freshmen and will have his ups and downs. When a player is struggling in any game offensively or defensively HE SITS. Period ! That's like Coaching 101. Every single coach in America does it when they have options. But Gavin should be exempt, lol.

Pikiell sat Spencer last year when he was struggling. Hyatt is like the Poster Child for being sent to the bench when he struggles.

Last edited:
If we were struggling scoring when Griffiths was out of the game, I would have had a problem with Pike leaving him glued to the bench.

However, we were flying high and playing great D without him on the floor, so I had no problem with Pike's decision.

What will Pike do next year

That’s the bigger consideration

People worrying (4 games into his freshman year!!!) that his somewhat limited minutes might cause fail to bolt. Puhleeaze

The bigger consideration is next year - does it concern him that this talent is coming and that MIGHT affect his minutes or does it excite him to have the cavalry coming ??! If the kid is a competitor he can’t wait !

• Haha
Reactions: MiloTalon13
I don’t think pike is worried about his offense, as much as his defense coming along. I think that is the reason right now. We see he can score, but what him on def at times he looks not as comfortable

Reactions: hiwater
He is a talented offensive player, no doubt.

But the offensive statistic that jumps out at me isn’t the 26% from 3 or 57% from FT, it’s that his next assist will be his first against 11 turnovers.

There’s no question he thinks his role is to put the ball in the basket and to some extent, it is.

But he and the team will get better when he sees the floor and his role a little differently.

Basketball is also a game of chemistry and matchups. Pike has always played the hot hand and rewarded defensive effort, so all the newcomers are learning how to complement each other in multiple ways.

He is a talented offensive player, no doubt.

But the offensive statistic that jumps out at me isn’t the 26% from 3 or 57% from FT, it’s that his next assist will be his first against 11 turnovers.

There’s no question he thinks his role is to put the ball in the basket and to some extent, it is.

But he and the team will get better when he sees the floor and his role a little differently.

Basketball is also a game of chemistry and matchups. Pike has always played the hot hand and rewarded defensive effort, so all the newcomers are learning how to complement each other in multiple ways.
He’s going to get a lot of attention in the big ten and he will need to improve his handle how he uses his body and his ability to move the ball to your point. Some of it will come naturally as he adjusts to better competition. It’s just gonna take a little while.

What was his pts per minute against Bryant when he played 29 minutes, shot 18%, 12% on threes and scored 5 Points ????

He wouldn't even be starting at Purdue or Iowa this year, 😂😂

YES.....he is a freshmen and will have his ups and downs. When a player is struggling in any game offensively or defensively HE SITS. Period ! That's like Coaching 101. Every single coach in America does it when they have options. But Gavin should be exempt, lol.

Pikiell sat Spencer last year when he was struggling. Hyatt is like the Poster Child for being sent to the bench when he struggles.

I disagree that it’s coaching 101 to sit every player who is struggling. (BTW, Gavin wasn’t struggling offensively — only on the defensive end). It depends on the player and the circumstances. So, yeah, I want my coach to be implementing Coaching 300, which is that all players are not treated the same. Sometimes you give a longer leash to certain guys (young, coming back from injury, etc) to make more mistakes in Nov/Dec because it will accelerate their development and benefit you in February and March.

I love Pike but when we can’t score for long stretches you get the kid in the game to put the ball in the basket.

The big issue right now is his D and D rebounding could have more of a negative impact then what he does on offense.
Over simplified but with his good O and bad D we outscore GU by 6 in the first half (and Pike took him out just when it looked like he was heating up)
We out scored GU by 5 in the second have with his bad D on the bench most of the half

Reactions: bitnez
I disagree that it’s coaching 101 to sit every player who is struggling. (BTW, Gavin wasn’t struggling offensively — only on the defensive end). It depends on the player and the circumstances. So, yeah, I want my coach to be implementing Coaching 300, which is that all players are not treated the same. Sometimes you give a longer leash to certain guys (young, coming back from injury, etc) to make more mistakes in Nov/Dec because it will accelerate their development and benefit you in February and March.

I love Pike but when we can’t score for long stretches you get the kid in the game to put the ball in the basket.
He had a hot start bitnez but he was 100% struggling on o his second run.

Reactions: PaKnight
How many guys do we have that we think can get 15 a night?
GG scores in many ways
He will adapt to the physicality
He has good feet and long arms
He can become a good defender
How many of of our other guys can even approach his potential as a scorer ?
Find a way to teach him and hide him until he learns
He is too good to sit and in this day and age he can leave in a heartbeat
Imagine him putting up 20 a night for Purdue

He had a hot start bitnez but he was 100% struggling on o his second run.
I remember a rushed 3 pointer that was blocked and a dribble off his foot for a turnover when he had a open lane to the basket. He could have gotten a few more minutes in the second half, but that is quibbling at this point of the season.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Over simplified but with his good O and bad D we outscore GU by 6 in the first half (and Pike took him out just when it looked like he was heating up)
We out scored GU by 5 in the second have with his bad D on the bench most of the half
Oversimplified

How many guys do we have that we think can get 15 a night?
GG scores in many ways
He will adapt to the physicality
He has good feet and long arms
He can become a good defender
How many of of our other guys can even approach his potential as a scorer ?
Find a way to teach him and hide him until he learns
He is too good to sit and in this day and age he can leave in a heartbeat
Imagine him putting up 20 a night for Purdue
He sounds like the Gerry Cooney or Tommy Morrison of Rutgers Basketball. Lol. You can't hype him up and hide his weaknesses. He needs to develop as a 1-1 defender and Team defender.

He will become a very good player at Rutgers but he is not there yet. Heck, he is only shooting 26% on threes right now.

I wanna see his EFFORT come close to matching that showed by Simpson, Fernandes, Davis and others in the last game.

Last edited:
If we are blaming him for the one player going off with 15 then I think that’s a bit skewed as well. Kids was hitting shots from all over. People in his face. That being said. He was shut down in the second half and we took off.

I remember a rushed 3 pointer that was blocked and a dribble off his foot for a turnover when he had an open lane to the basket. He could have gotten a few more minutes in the second half, but that is quibbling at this point of the season.
He was 0-3 with a turnover and missed front end during that stretch. To be clear I am not complaining. He needs to keep being aggressive. It will come. I am sure he’s told to score.

Reactions: NickRU714
He was 0-3 with a turnover and missed front end during that stretch. To be clear I am not complaining. He needs to keep being aggressive. It will come. I am sure he’s told to score.

I've only seen PU and GT.
Did an entire PU rewatch to watch Gavins defense.

He was bad on Wednesday.
As you point out - both ends.
He seemed to force 2 threes (one got blocked).
If the 3 isn't there, he needs to keep pump faking and driving to the hoop.
He's shown he's good at it. Just keep it up and not force step back 3s.

Defense I think he's doing too much actually. He seems to really trying to position for help side defense and sags into the middle. Quick ball reversal gets him caught out of position.

Reactions: bethlehemfan

Love Gavin - but IMO Pike did the correct thing as his objective is to secure a win. Gavin has gotten minutes (27 & 29 in the previous games to Georgetown) and will get minutes in the future - but to just hand them out every game when he might be struggling and the guy he is defending is on fire, does not seem a good strategy. Also, beyond defense - Gavin needs to still sure up certain aspects to his offensive game - has 11 Turnovers and Zero Assists and is shooting 0.273 from 3 on 22 Attempts. I'm confident Pike will be able to manage his development & progression.

I've only seen PU and GT.
Did an entire PU rewatch to watch Gavins defense.

He was bad on Wednesday.
As you point out - both ends.
He seemed to force 2 threes (one got blocked).
If the 3 isn't there, he needs to keep pump faking and driving to the hoop.
He's shown he's good at it. Just keep it up and not force step back 3s.

Defense I think he's doing too much actually. He seems to really trying to position for help side defense and sags into the middle. Quick ball reversal gets him caught out of position.
I think he is thinking a lot on d.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT