ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Basketball has a HIDDEN GEM in Lathan Sommerville!

It's all spelled out on the premium side in more detail but another poster even laid out what happened here

You don't like it. Most people don't
Wow. It still doesn’t make sense though. Like, just not logical given what we know. At what point in the process, when, did Somerville reportedly give this ultimatum?

What’s the point of signing a letter of intent if you can just decommit at the last minute?

Last edited:
OP video voice has us in the Sweet 16.. that's crazy, IMO, the expectation.. possible? yes.. expecting it? Silly.

We are going to be very young playing a bunch of teams that have experience and NBA body sizes all over the court. ANYTHING can happen.. talent might not be enough.. toughness and experience will count for a lot.

Of course, I am rooting for that sky 's-the-limit season... but I am not EXPECTING it.

Wow. It still doesn’t make sense though. Like, just not logical given what we know. At what point in the process, when, did Somerville reportedly give this ultimatum?

What’s the point of signing a letter of intent if you can just decommit at the last minute?
Well we were recruiting transfer portal bigs who could start... then we weren't....

If a player doesn't want to be here, it's probably a disaster to force them to stay. They will be miserable, a locker room distraction, and bad for chemistry. Also probably a back look for future recruiting. Players have wayyy more leverage now. It is what it is. It's a whole new world

Well we were recruiting transfer portal bigs who could start... then we weren't....

If a player doesn't want to be here, it's probably a disaster to force them to stay. They will be miserable, a locker room distraction, and bad for chemistry. Also probably a back look for future recruiting. Players have wayyy more leverage now. It is what it is. It's a whole new world

All I know is if this is true, Somerville hasn’t played a second and he’s become my least favorite player. Honestly - if he truly said he’s walking out if we bring in a proven center with experience, we should’ve cut him loose immediately. Thats an instant sign of a kid who is likely not a team player at all.

I keep having to adjust my expectations. It’s not fun.

OP video voice has us in the Sweet 16.. that's crazy, IMO, the expectation.. possible? yes.. expecting it? Silly.

We are going to be very young playing a bunch of teams that have experience and NBA body sizes all over the court. ANYTHING can happen.. talent might not be enough.. toughness and experience will count for a lot.

Of course, I am rooting for that sky 's-the-limit season... but I am not EXPECTING it.
Maybe it's a discussion for a it's own thread, but I think anything less then Sweet 16 will be a disappointment.

Is that different then an "expectation"? Maybe, but yeah, have to have a big season with Ace and Harper.

Reactions: goru7

If a player doesn't want to be here, it's probably a disaster to force them to stay.
They will be miserable, a locker room distraction, and bad for chemistry. Also probably a back look for future recruiting. Players have wayyy more leverage now. It is what it is. It's a whole new world
Another topic that could be it's own discussion. But I think players now will have fresh opportunities every season through which they will have to sift and make decisions on. And teams have to woo those players in order to sway those decisions.

No idea who JBP Talks Sports is, but he/they have dozens of posts on various topics, teams and sports.

In this recently posted vid, he talks about how he thinks Rutgers fans are overlooking Sommerville (with Ace and Dylan garnering all the attention). His main message? Don't sleep on Lathan!

Rutgers Basketball has a HIDDEN GEM in Lathan Sommerville!​

As per OP, maybe he is a little undersized, but man he definitely has skills, truthfully as someone not quite as in tune as others here as per the program he fits the Hidden Gem moniker for me at least. Especially with Ace and Harper getting the press.

We often talk about having two big men on the court at the same time, and then we rarely see it, I think we definitely could here, with Ogbole as the true big body and Sommerville at the 4 playing the skill game with Harper and Ace.

His offensive game, at least from that highlight looks more like a 3 actually. But I do assume he will play at the 4 and 5.

A big man with a soft touch around the rim? That's something we haven't seen at RU in awhiles.

Reactions: RU89
We need a third center, only to have minutes there when the other two centers are in foul trouble.

I am expecting from Sommerville similar stats to what Kadeem Jack gave us his soph year-18.2mpg, 5.7ppg, 4.7 rpg. Is that good or bad?

We need a third center, only to have minutes there when the other two centers are in foul trouble.

I am expecting from Sommerville similar stats to what Kadeem Jack gave us his soph year-18.2mpg, 5.7ppg, 4.7 rpg. Is that good or bad?
If Ogbole can post similar numbers in his time, I think that would be good production from the two.

The Center will be the 5th offensive option at nearly all times on the floor, with the exception that with Sommerville in the game it is possible the Center might be the 4th option.

We have no idea what Sommerville will do against college competition, though he clearly has significant offensive upside. If he could average 8 ppg and 5 rpg with 48% - 52% FG, that might be very helpful (though if he shoots some 3's and mid-range as much as the post, the FG% would be a little lower).

Regarding Ogbole, though I actually like his potential (2 more years of eligibility), you cannot assume he will score much at all ... maybe 3-4 ppg? But IF ... and that is "IF" ... he can improve in these two significant ways in the off-season he may be able to give 15 - 20 mpg, reducing the pressure and reliance on Sommerville quite a bit: Hands and footwork. And both those are skills that CAN be improved with practice and work. If his footwork can improve, that would help his defense as much or more than his offense - reducing the risk of fouls, allowing him to stay on the court more.

And people on this thread forget how truly awful both Omoruyi's AND Myles Johnson's hands were their 1st year ... and Johnson's his 1st 2 years. Ogbole had less basketball experience coming into JUCO than Omoruyi or Johnson did coming into college, plus was injured for a year and unable to work on his hands and footwork skills.

That said, anyone who doesn't think Omo was and is hugely better than Ogbole is nuts - even with Omo's disappointing season last year.

If Ogbole can improve his footwork and hands, I could see him playing at least 15 mpg, and be a rebounding machine - he was a very good rebounder in extremely limited minutes last year - and a GREAT offensive rebounder. In just 8 mpg over just 10 games last year, Ogbole had 20 rebounds, 2.0 per game ... but an incredible 14 (!!!) offensive rebounds. Think about that: He averaged 1.4 offensive rpg in just 8 mpg ... Double his minutes, plus add a bit of hands and footwork improvement, and I could see Ogbole averaging 4 ppg and 6 rpg, and maybe 1.5 blocks per game, as well as 1 steal per game, but be an especially strong force on the offensive boards.

FYI, last season, Ogbole averaged 0.173 offensive rebounds per minute ... Omoruyi and Woolfolk each averaged about 0.10 offensive rebounds per minute. Ogbole averaged 0.25 reb per minute in limited minutes. Omoruyi averaged 0.33 total reb per minute, while Woolfolk averaged 0.24 total reb per minute ... the next best was J. Davis who averaged 0.14 total reb per minute.

Total for Sommerville and Ogbole at center, hopeful guesstimate (not a prediction, just reasonable hope); 12 ppg, 11 rpg ... last year Woolfolk + Ogbole + Omoruyi: 14 ppg, 13 rpg.

J

There's nothing wrong with that, I'd be happy with those numbers if his defense is adequate too.

Reactions: seels2662
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT