ADVERTISEMENT

2018 RU Game Watch Parties: Hoboken (Game 9 vs Wisconsin)

ScarletKid2008

All American
Sep 8, 2006
Bergen County, NJ
Excited to finally announce the details after a lot of conversations and planning with bar management.

We have two bars in Hoboken who went over the top to host Rutgers fans on game days and therefore we will promote both as options as each has a different atmosphere than the other.

In addition to the bars themselves, the RUAA will be marketing the events and has supplied several boxes of items to decorate and giveaway, Rutgers Club of North NJ is the official RUAA club, and we have a newly created Facebook group posting updates & events (Rutgers alumni of Hoboken, Jersey City, and Hudson County). Please join if you plan on coming to any events or live in the area.

The Winston - 72 Hudson Street Hoboken (just steps from the PATH & NJ transit train entrance)
A new bar in Hoboken, which has renovated the old Scotland yard bar space, with several RU alumni in the ownership group. The Winston is a speakeasy concept with a concentration on unique and creative cocktails.

Please note the advanced sign-up (free) is required to be eligible for the pre-game specials and to be entered for the raffle prizes which are promised to be very, very good.

40248449_10110107538703299_1797980826021920768_n.jpg

40385373_10110107538828049_4550859905602420736_n.jpg

The Tally Ho Bar & Saloon - 215 Washington Street, Hoboken
This was the host bar last season for Hoboken. It is a much larger bar and will offer more of a "tailgate" style atmosphere with tons of space and games (beer pong, corn hole, giant jenga, shuffleboard, darts, and more). They also have a projection screen which the game will be displayed on, as well as most all other TVs in the bar.

Drink Specials:
  • $5 well drinks
  • $5 Jack Daniels drinks
  • $7 Bloody Marys
  • $7 green tea & fireball shots
  • $10 pitchers of bud light, sangria, mimosas, and manmosas
  • $12 pitchers of all craft and imported beers
  • $25 buckets of cans - mix & match
Game Day Atmosphere:
  • Game sound on and music played during commericals
  • Game shown on project screen and most all TVs in bar
  • Bar lit up red and Rutgers decor throughout
  • RUAA sponsored giveaways including RU koozies, magnets, towels, pendant flags, pins, t-shirts, cups, etc.

All of the above will be the offerings for both HOME & AWAY games.

On Thursday 8/30 The Winston will be hosting a kick-off party with all of the specials mentioned.

Hope to see many of you out there at the bars!!

GO RU !!
#scarletforever

Advanced sign up is lame

It is free, takes about 5 seconds via a link, and is not required. Only necessary to get you access to the pre-game specials and raffle prizes. The bar management insisted on it - they're hope (and mine + @AreYouNUTS ) is that we'll get to a point where we're filling the bar every Saturday (160 person capacity) and the registration is used as a "ticket for the event". They're really hoping to turn this into a really big event - which we love the vision and commitment from their end.

Great job by nuts and 2008kid getting two bars. Hope the turnout is good but that likely depends on how good the team does. Also night road games draw better to the bars.
Not sure which one but will prob check out both.

Great job by nuts and 2008kid getting two bars. Hope the turnout is good but that likely depends on how good the team does. Also night road games draw better to the bars.

Thanks! As mentioned, our hope is that we can fill one of the bars to capacity. And the other bar will still have a big crowd (Tally Ho is a very large space). As you mentioned, it'll depend on a few factors from what we've seen in the past, in this order:

1. Away vs Home games
2. Team's success / record
3. Kick off time
4. Competing area events that weekend (i.e. labor day or whatever else)
5. Our level of promotion, getting the word out, and the specials offered by the bar

We are expecting a huge turnout for the 3:30 game in Week 2 vs Ohio State. Unfortunately it seems a lot of our other away games are already scheduled for noon kick-offs. But I expect / hope the die-hards to still come out for those !

Reactions: RUnTeX

Great job by the folks that put this together first of all.
It’d be shocking if we have a night road game. Its quite possible the two remaining road games without kick times are both at noon (MSU and Wisconsin). We already know Kanas and Maryland are nooners but hopefully we’ll be 5-1 or at worst 4-2 going into the UM game.

Best shot at a good crowd at these bars is likely OSU since it’s 3:30. Unfortunately it’s the game we’re most likely to be pimp slapped.

A fellow young Rutgers Alum is having a fundraiser for Success Academy Charter School hosted at The Winston during the Ohio State Game! They have some sweet deals going on for a good cause.

Check it out below:

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Advanced sign up is lame

Gotta love how it’s always the people who do absolutely nothing, To help with events like this, who are always Ones opening their mouth is negatively. Why is it “lame”?? Also, if that’s how you feel, just go to the other party a few blocks away at tally-ho which doesn’t require a sign-up. Pretty simple.

Thank @ScarletKid2008 Ladies and gentlemen. He’s taken the reins and run with this project, better than I ever did in the past, to be honest, and I think things will only get better and better here in Hudson County with these parties as well as other alumni events if all plans that he has moving forward come to fruition.

I’m still here, helping out and lending a hand when and where I can, however, it’s been a very difficult month for me and Matt stepped up in a very big way. I Couldn’t be happier than to have turned over what I’ve built, over the past 15 years, to him. Thanks a lot brother

These watch parties are great. Been going since they were at Tilted Kilt. Home games are an issue since I have season tix but will be at all the road games for sure

A big reminder to the RU community ....

This Saturday come join us at one of our bars in Hoboken (The Winston or Tally Ho) to watch Rutgers take on Ohio State, 3:30pm kick-off.

The watch party drink and food specials start at 2:30pm. We are hoping and expecting for our biggest turnout of the season and hopefully that means both bars are packed with rabid Scarlet Knights !!

**see the original post at the top of this thread for details on the specials, atmosphere, etc.**

If you want to guarantee yourself entrance to The Winston and be eligible for the pre-game specials and exciting raffle prizes - you must visit the below website and register (completely free!). Winston will take 125 people max for the game, Tally Ho is huge and should not have a problem. I'm secretly hoping we have so many people that it is a problem though!

So come out, bring your friends out for some cheap drinks, great atmosphere, and hopefully there's a lot to cheer for on Saturday

GO RU
#scarletforever

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hoboke...atch-party-tickets-49751382725?aff=erelexpmlt

Gotta love how it’s always the people who do absolutely nothing, To help with events like this, who are always Ones opening their mouth is negatively. Why is it “lame”?? Also, if that’s how you feel, just go to the other party a few blocks away at tally-ho which doesn’t require a sign-up. Pretty simple.

BAN HIM!!! lol

Anyone know if The Winston has any good beer lines? Their website says one Kane tap, is that true? Had to sneak beer into Tally Ho last year which was annoying.

@rutobls They (The Winston) have a really good list of both draft and canned beers.

Here is their entire drinks menu:
https://thewinstonhoboken.com/menu/

The beers include:
Draft:
Blue Moon
Brooklyn Lager
Departed Soles
Firestone Union Jack IPA
Guinness
Kane
Newcastle Brown Ale
Pilsner Urquell

Bottles & Cans:
Budweiser / Bud Light
Coors Light
Miller Lite
Heineken & H Light
Corona
Stella & Stella Cidre
Strongbow
Angry Orchard Rosé
Departed Soles
Kane
Ballast Point Mango Even Keel Session IPA
Ballast Point Sour Wench Blackberry Ale
Bira 91 Blonde Lager
Blue Point Toasted Lager
Boulevard Tank 7
Clown Shoes Space Cake
Golden Road Wolf Pup Session IPA
Goose Island 312
Magic Hat #9
Traveler Grapefruit Shandy
UFO Hefeweizen
White Claw Hard Seltzer

@rutobls They (The Winston) have a really good list of both draft and canned beers.

Here is their entire drinks menu:
https://thewinstonhoboken.com/menu/

The beers include:
Draft:
Blue Moon
Brooklyn Lager
Departed Soles
Firestone Union Jack IPA
Guinness
Kane
Newcastle Brown Ale
Pilsner Urquell

Bottles & Cans:
Budweiser / Bud Light
Coors Light
Miller Lite
Heineken & H Light
Corona
Stella & Stella Cidre
Strongbow
Angry Orchard Rosé
Departed Soles
Kane
Ballast Point Mango Even Keel Session IPA
Ballast Point Sour Wench Blackberry Ale
Bira 91 Blonde Lager
Blue Point Toasted Lager
Boulevard Tank 7
Clown Shoes Space Cake
Golden Road Wolf Pup Session IPA
Goose Island 312
Magic Hat #9
Traveler Grapefruit Shandy
UFO Hefeweizen
White Claw Hard Seltzer

How much for Bud cans during the game?

To keep this thread up top and remind everyone of a few little inside stories regarding local game watch parties in Hoboken....

For a few years the Cadillac Cantina in Hoboken hosted us as the spot for game watches. It was a really good venue, good specials, good food, and we had some great turnouts there.

Then when the team rock bottomed in Ash's first year, we had some really really poor turnouts. Especially the last 4 games. I'm talking like less than 7 people for those games - as I think most of them were also noon. It was sad and pathetic

Cadillac management decided to dump Rutgers and start flying an Ohio St flag outside their bar and host them for game watches instead the following year (last season).

So I would love it, if we had Rutgers Tshirts walking all through town on Saturday packing TWO bars , while Cadillac has their mediocre out-of-state bandwagon game watch going on.

I live in Manhattan and am looking at coming in to Hoboken for one of these w/one of my good friends who is an OSU grad. From reading above, Tally Ho is likely to have the most lively atmosphere, yeah? Thanks in advance, @ScarletKid2008 !

@RUhobbit

I think and hope both atmospheres will be lively. The contrast I will make is this:

Winston - tons of excellent drink and food specials. customized drinks and food for RU people. its a much much smaller and darker bar. probably better overall drink selection for the "finer" taste people. only steps away from the PATH.

Tally Ho - also good specials but more around the basic beers and drinks. VERY large sized bar with a lot more TVs and space. This will be much more of a tailgate like atmosphere (they have beer pong tables, corn hole boards, shuffle board, giant jenga, etc.) About a 5 min walk from the PATH.

This is the first time we're doing two and being its a big opponent at the 3:30 time slot, I think we'll have a good sized crowd at both.

@RUhobbit

I think and hope both atmospheres will be lively. The contrast I will make is this:

Winston - tons of excellent drink and food specials. customized drinks and food for RU people. its a much much smaller and darker bar. probably better overall drink selection for the "finer" taste people. only steps away from the PATH.

Tally Ho - also good specials but more around the basic beers and drinks. VERY large sized bar with a lot more TVs and space. This will be much more of a tailgate like atmosphere (they have beer pong tables, corn hole boards, shuffle board, giant jenga, etc.) About a 5 min walk from the PATH.

This is the first time we're doing two and being its a big opponent at the 3:30 time slot, I think we'll have a good sized crowd at both.
Thanks! If you’ll be at Tally Ho, say hi. I look a lot like the cartoon image :)

Look forward to checking out Winston's. Great job as always. Nuts, I hope the new month turns out better.

Last edited:
Thanks! If you’ll be at Tally Ho, say hi. I look a lot like the cartoon image :)

I'll definitely be around and have a drink with ya. I'm planning to start at the Winston around 2:30 to kick things off and may head over to Tally Ho at half time.

Unless Rutgers is winning, I wouldn't want to mess with the good mojo and will stay put

Reactions: RUhobbit
I stopped by The Winston on Saturday for the game. It was a lot of fun and a lively atmosphere. I got there early and was able to get my hands on some of the free giveaways (sweatshirts, beanies, koozies, Rutgers signs, etc.). The bar had a lot of great Rutgers themed drink options and I also had my first fat sandwich since college. Will definitely be back to The Winston for future games
IMG_8379_zpssajggkj5.jpg
IMG_8375_zpsp2teb1n7.jpeg
IMG_8376_zps2mbspl3k.jpeg
IMG_3284_zpsnm6wp0f4.jpeg
IMG_3281-1_zpsfz8rsarx.jpeg

Last edited:
GREAT showing of RU fans in Hoboken last week for the OSU game as we had about 50-70 fans in EACH bar for nearly the whole game (despite the lack of entertainment on the field).

THIS week we hope theres a lot more playing of the RU fight song in the bars.

COME WATCH WITH US and enjoy some food and drink special just for RU fans. We have lots of giveaways including Rutgers Tshirts, swag, etc. The Winston is serving up Egg, Cheese, and Bacon/Taylor Ham/Pork Roll sandwiches!

Hope to see and meet some of you there! (i'll be at the winston for first half)

GO RU ! #SCARLETFOREVER

41721478_10110162343833379_2243562388534067200_n.jpg

** see top of the thread for drink & food specials and bar location addresses **

The game watch parties go on .. and if being a Rutgers fan is good motivation for anything these days ... its for grabbing a few drinks!!

Come join us in Hoboken . Still doing giveaways, food & drink specials, game sound, etc.

43762225_10110254089194939_5661850744010047488_n.jpg

Reactions: Plum Street
I'll be curious to see what kind of turnout you get.

We'll have the bar specials going, game sound on, giveaways, and music going for the RU game vs Wisconsin tomorrow.

THE WINSTON - HOBOKEN

Kickoff at NOON.

Come out and support the bars and watch with fellow fans who are supporting Rutgers !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT