ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Intriguing Transfers (and ongoing transfer watch)

I think the kid from LaSalle committed to Providence.

Tape to Duke yesterday

Bruner being recruited by several Top 10 teams.

I saw Aiken play in HS several times-------a player .

6'8" guy with a 38% career three-point percentage. Not from the NJ area originally, though.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
it certainly pays to be a walk on for Pike. He gives them schollies like they are candy. 2 this year, one last. As of right now 2 for next year. Imagine what the team would look like if Pike, you know, recruited a whole team. Get a damn transfer that can play. Take advantage of the success you just had. Pike’s recruiting is what needs to step up.

Having any second thoughts?

At this point, I don't think we go for a "play right away" grad transfer. If a roster spot opens and we take a transfer, I think it would likely be a sit out transfer who will join Mulcahy's class as a junior in 2021-22.

Reactions: Jeevan Kirkland
The best response to my position was said by Carino in the OTB article-

"I find more and more coaches would rather have 11 or 12 scholarship players eligible than 13, perhaps with a sit-out transfer and one scholarship rolling over. Having 13 guys eligible scholarship means 13 egos to satisfy, 13 sets of parents who will complain, in some cases 13 handlers or middlemen whispering in these kids’ ears about playing time. I’ve had this discussion with both Pikiell and Kevin Willard and I think both fall in line with the aforementioned current thinking, that less can be more from a keeping-the-peace perspective."

That makes sense to me. Having said that, RU could have used an extra body this year, and certainly could use that experience next. People can differ on their perspectives.

"I find more and more coaches would rather have 11 or 12 scholarship players eligible than 13, perhaps with a sit-out transfer and one scholarship rolling over. Having 13 guys eligible scholarship means 13 egos to satisfy, 13 sets of parents who will complain, in some cases 13 handlers or middlemen whispering in these kids’ ears about playing time. I’ve had this discussion with both Pikiell and Kevin Willard and I think both fall in line with the aforementioned current thinking, that less can be more from a keeping-the-peace perspective."

That makes sense to me. Having said that, RU could have used an extra body this year, and certainly could use that experience next. People can differ on their perspectives.

This was what I was trying to explain to you, but Carino said it better than I did. (Glad I asked the question).

If someone special lands in their laps, maybe you redshirt Reiber if he's up for it. Like if grad transfer Vance Jackson wants to come... that's a damn good two deep. But again, fit is important too.

Is Brendan Barry related to Roselle Park NJ-native, one of the Top-50 NBA players of all time (through 1996), and the NBA’s best ever foul shooter Rick Barry?
Brendan's Grandfather Jim and Rick were cousins. Big Jim was inducted into the Georgetown HOF and put on their all Century team in 2007.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
Sounds like someone has changed their tone on transfers... I’m glad youve joined us in the year 2020!

I am not opposed to transfers, but it can't be the way you build your roster IMO. RU isn't mentioned much at all for transfers, while Minnesota and Nebraska are tied to seemingly 20 kids a week who hit the portal. I am sure Minnesota and Nebraska will end up with a talented Top 9 once everything is settled, but if RU lands the quality guard targets, I would always take a 4 year player over a 2 year or grad transfer.

If the choice is grad transfer for replacing Yeboah or Caleb, Mag Mulcahy or Palmquist grabbing those minutes, I am going to lean on the guys in our program ahead of a transfer.

Reactions: hiwater and Goku

Absolutely! The game has changed.

And while we could have used an extra body, that extra body has to be good enough AND fit into your team AND want to play a role in your team. Not easy to find.

I trust Pike in making that decision.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Khalif Battle - transferring from Butler

Former Rival 100 SG

Being talked about on the Round Table

I remember he was interested in Rutgers and I saw him at a game last year. I honestly thought we might get him for a while at that time.

and then there's this thread from Butler:

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/khalif-battle-transferring.2802/page-4

Mentions Rutgers as most likely landing spot. Syracuse mentions as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Khalif Battle - transferring from Butler

Former Rival 100 SG

Being talking about on the Round Table

I remember he was interested in Rutgers and I saw him at a game last year. I honestly thought we might get him for a while at that time.

and then there's this thread from Butler:

https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/khalif-battle-transferring.2802/page-4

Mentions Rutgers as most likely landing spot. Syracuse mentions as well.

Sit out transfer guard, would step in as RS Soph after Baker and Young graduate? Fits what I'd expect we'd be looking for in the transfer market.

Sit out transfer guard, would step in as RS Soph after Baker and Young graduate? Fits what I'd expect we'd be looking for in the transfer market.

Highly unlikely he is anywhere near RU, some kids want shot attempts and ability to score. It doesn't seem to make sense here for a Battle right now...Lavell Jordan is a pretty level headed coach at Butler and Butler is a team first program. Probably best suited down a level, not going up a level to the B1G.

Highly unlikely he is anywhere near RU, some kids want shot attempts and ability to score. It doesn't seem to make sense here for a Battle right now...Lavell Jordan is a pretty level headed coach at Butler and Butler is a team first program. Probably best suited down a level, not going up a level to the B1G.

I would have said something similar about Jacob Young too prior to his arrival.

Keep in mind, you'd get a year of him just in practice and he goes from being 18 to 20 before you play him.

I would have said something similar about Jacob Young too prior to his arrival.

Keep in mind, you'd get a year of him just in practice and he goes from being 18 to 20 before you play him.

That is fair and accurate....the only difference is Young is an elite high level athlete and by most accounts, is the fastest and quickest player on RU today....he also bought into playing in this system, after really not playing for a year, but had flashes at Texas....lots of fans brought up his poor 3 point shooting percentage at Texas as a negative, but we also saw him ring up 27 points on 5 of 6 from 3 point range at Texas, in the B12 tournament vs Texas Tech......I don't see Battle as a dominant defender (although my guess is he could be, if he decided to).

Team oriented kids are very hard to find in this day and age where former coaches and others all seem to only value shot attempts, PPG etc. I just don't know much about Battle other than what I saw out of the older brother at Cuse.....who played dominant defense at times, but was a ball dominating player, who pushed up a lot of shots and long 2 pointers and 3s....whether that was because Cuse didn't have much else, not sure.

I don't know what this Battle is looking for, but I feel fairly confident and comfortable that it's not a fit......and what if there is no sit out year in 2020-21 for transfers, there wouldn't be any minutes for Battle at RU....would a kid want to sit out, if the rules are likely headed towards immediately being eligible to play ASAP??

I guess you could add a guard this year, if you absolutely wanted to lock in Caleb at the Small Forward, but I don't see the fit in any way for RU here.

Many coaches would disagree that teams are better off filling every scholarship. Including Jay Wright and Roy Williams.

An excerpt from the Carino interview:

There’s going to be some roster attrition. It’s just a matter of when. I’ll be surprised if all the core players don’t return though. Regarding a full roster, generally speaking, I find more and more coaches would rather have 11 or 12 scholarship players eligible than 13, perhaps with a sit-out transfer and one scholarship rolling over. Having 13 guys eligible scholarship means 13 egos to satisfy, 13 sets of parents who will complain, in some cases 13 handlers or middlemen whispering in these kids’ ears about playing time. I’ve had this discussion with both Pikiell and Kevin Willard and I think both fall in line with the aforementioned current thinking, that less can be more from a keeping-the-peace perspective.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2020/3/3...no-steve-pikiell-rutgers-basketball-geo-baker

I don't know what this Battle is looking for, but I feel fairly confident and comfortable that it's not a fit......and what if there is no sit out year in 2020-21 for transfers, there wouldn't be any minutes for Battle at RU....would a kid want to sit out, if the rules are likely headed towards immediately being eligible to play ASAP??

Well, I think that decision is being made this month, so we'll know if 2020-21 is going to require a sit out year or not fairly soon.

I do know that Battle was definitely someone valued by RU when we were recruiting him. If he did come in and had to sit a year I could see it being good for RU as long as he bought in completely to our team philosophy that we are a team first above everything else. Baker and Young will both be leaving after next season and maybe it could work out well for us.

I do know that Battle was definitely someone valued by RU when we were recruiting him. If he did come in and had to sit a year I could see it being good for RU as long as he bought in completely to our team philosophy that we are a team first above everything else. Baker and Young will both be leaving after next season and maybe it could work out well for us.

It's all about fit, and I trust Pike to find guys who fit with his vision and team philosophy. If he feels Battle will improve the team, then he sounds like a good get - if he doesn't, then not so much.

I think Rutgers wanted him. I know Butler wanted him. Butler is said to be a team first kind of team and he went there. We know Rutgers is also like that and we were one of his finalists. You'd assume we both evaluated him in high school. Butler fans claim he was a good teammate during his freshman year, so I don't think some of these suggestions about him being a good fit or wanting to be a star add up.

Reactions: RUChoppin

Nebraska in full swing to replace both guards who have left, plus their 3rd guard off the bench....lands Pitt transfer Trey McGowens.

I think this was kyk1827 starting a thread a couple of weeks ago on Vaughn, he commits to Ole Miss as a grad transfer, 6'5" SG....

Luther Muhammad just entered the portal. Seems like a kid who wants a big name school but nonetheless think he would be a great fit

Luther Muhammad just entered the portal. Seems like a kid who wants a big name school but nonetheless think he would be a great fit

Surprising, but he was suspended a game last season for failure to meet program standards and expectations.

Think KYK said he wanted to transfer back home awhile ago . Would be a sit out transfer I assume . Would help us a lot especially on d when Geo and Jacob graduate . Has 2 years left . His offensive game isn’t consistent , but his d is top notch

Reactions: RUby RED
Just read that he wants a bigger offensive role. Not sure he’d get that here right away assuming he has to sit out . If he sits out , here would be our lineup his first year .

Pg . Paul ( jr ) another frosh ( Conway maybe )
Sg/ Mathis( sr ) / Muhammad (jr )
Sf/ McConnell (sr) , Jones (fr) , Mag ( so )
Pf. Harper (sr) Palmquist ( so ), Reiber (so )
C Myles (sr) , Cliff (so )

Would be a frieken good team , especially defensively . If you had Mathis and Muhammad on the floor at once with Harper and either Cliff or Myles . Would be an elite defensive unit

Think KYK said he wanted to transfer back home awhile ago . Would be a sit out transfer I assume . Would help us a lot especially on d when Geo and Jacob graduate . Has 2 years left . His offensive game isn’t consistent , but his d is top notch
Take

The same schools that are consistently listed for guards in the portal are Minnesota Nebraska Ohio State in the B1G, Seton Hall, Georgetown in the Big East.

Just read that he wants a bigger offensive role. Not sure he’d get that here right away assuming he has to sit out . If he sits out , here would be our lineup his first year .

Pg . Paul ( jr ) another frosh ( Conway maybe )
Sg/ Mathis( sr ) / Muhammad (jr )
Sf/ McConnell (sr) , Jones (fr) , Mag ( so )
Pf. Harper (sr) Palmquist ( so ), Reiber (so )
C Myles (sr) , Cliff (so )

Would be a frieken good team , especially defensively . If you had Mathis and Muhammad on the floor at once with Harper and either Cliff or Myles . Would be an elite defensive unit

Ryan Conway would be a big time get.

ADVERTISEMENT