ADVERTISEMENT

2020 offer....Forward Mawot Mag...Prolific Prep (CA)

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007

Same program as 2020 PF target Coleman Hawkins....appears to have a DePaul offer, Cal State Fullerton and a couple of Power 5 assistant coaches following him now.

6'7" 215....Physically looks the part of multi-position player on offense and defense....shows some shooting touch and ability to play in the paint/low post.

Not sure how to feel about this. He plays for basically an all-star team so he's not exactly a hidden gem. Little weird that DePaul is his only other high-major offer considering that many many many coaches have surely seen him. Saw he also got a Fullerton offer today, we'll see what else rolls in.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Eh. Was it Hawkins saying; hey, you guys should look at this kid? I know i'm not coming but i really liked you guys??

Eh. Was it Hawkins saying; hey, you guys should look at this kid? I know i'm not coming but i really liked you guys??

Prolific Prep's roster is loaded with HM guys. I'm sure the staff has seen Mag multiple occasions. Apparently they've decided he's good enough to offer.

Not sure how to feel about this. He plays for basically an all-star team so he's not exactly a hidden gem. Little weird that DePaul is his only other high-major offer considering that many many many coaches have surely seen him. Saw he also got a Fullerton offer today, we'll see what else rolls in.
Mag was previously at Victory Rock Prep in Bradenton, Florida. Coaches know that if they don't have a good relationship with the head coach at VRP they are unlikely to land any of their prospects (if you are recruiting a Victory Rock Prep school, it helps if your school is an adidas school). So some VRP kids get offers late.

The move to Prolific Prep will help his profile. I think Mag is the third kid in the past two years to transfer to Prolific Prep.

Mag was previously at Victory Rock Prep in Bradenton, Florida. Coaches know that if they don't have a good relationship with the head coach at VRP they are unlikely to land any of their prospects (if you are recruiting a Victory Rock Prep school, it helps if your school is an adidas school). So some VRP kids get offers late.

The move to Prolific Prep will help his profile. I think Mag is the third kid in the past two years to transfer to Prolific Prep.

He got offered while in Florida by Depaul, but played in California last year and got no offers.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
He got offered while in Florida by Depaul, but played in California last year and got no offers.

You don't need to make an offer unless you are prepared to have the offer accepted. Schools always sort through the kids that they've seen the most of, but it's not a talent issue as much as it's becoming familiar with the player.

A kid that is a sophomore in Florida probably shouldn't have an offer and just starting his senior season that doesn't have an offer yet, doesn't mean much. We could wait for others to offer, if that makes fans feel better or make the own determination based on scouting. With the recruiting cycle of Hawkins, I'm certain that they've seen Mag enough. But I wouldn't have offered Mag, even if the staff liked him, until Hawkins came off the board.

Reactions: Scangg
Watch the tape available. He has a nice stroke. Built like a man. He did note in an article posted by one of the writers here that he was injured last year. Hopefully another Myles situation where it left him underrecruited

Watch the tape available. He has a nice stroke. Built like a man. He did note in an article posted by one of the writers here that he was injured last year. Hopefully another Myles situation where it left him underrecruited
He's always been strong and athletic. Fights for rebounds and would beat everyone down the court after throwing an outlet pass or to get back on D. He basically did whatever he was asked to do to help his team. Wasn't very offensively skilled when I last saw him (June 2018) but was improving in the skill area.

Didn't grow up playing basketball so his upside is pretty good as his skills develop.

Seems like every day there is a new top 5 names guy. Mostly in hoops. The PA announcers job at the RAC must require a Masters in linguistics.

Seems like every day there is a new top 5 names guy. Mostly in hoops. The PA announcers job at the RAC must require a Masters in linguistics.
They learn to love the phonetic pronunciation guide they get every game and practice ahead of time. A few weeks ago I interviewed a kid whose last name is Dowuona. I asked him how he pronounces it and I immediately repeated it to him and he said I got it right. The entire conversation was recorded. So before I call him again I'm listening to that recording of his pronunciation at least five times so I can get it right.

They learn to love the phonetic pronunciation guide they get every game and practice ahead of time. A few weeks ago I interviewed a kid whose last name is Dowuona. I asked him how he pronounces it and I immediately repeated it to him and he said I got it right. The entire conversation was recorded. So before I call him again I'm listening to that recording of his pronunciation at least five times so I can get it right.

Not quite the same level of effort required for a Matt Jones, right Russ? Lol

Reactions: Russ Wood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT