ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting 2022 F Braeden Moore decommits from Rutgers Hoops

How about a single top 200 player for the class of 2022? Is that too much to ask for a program on a run of success it hasn't seen for 30 years? One that built a shiny new practice facility?

Every other Big Ten school has that except Wisconsin, whose coach basically caused a mutiny last season, and Maryland, who beat us for the one recruit they do have in Bobi Klintman. Not to mention Iowa beating us for Dasonte Bowen or Nebraska for Ramel Lloyd etc.
You make it sound like this was a 5 player class and we ended up with total garbage. In reality, we got a player who by almost all accounts was a late bloomer and was under-recruited due to COVID, and a developmental player.

We had another player who was apparently invaluable to the program based on some of the reactions here; we lost him due to an incredibly rare and bizarre situation (Kanye and his crew targeting random high schoolers for their fake program and selling them pipe dreams). Maybe we’ll get him in a year or two like Hyatt (who was a previous example of Pike’s awful recruiting himself and is now a potential starter here).

Long story short, if you try to recruit top players, you’re going to compete with other strong programs, many of which have more resources and history, and you’re going to lose far more players than you take in. That’s just the nature of the business. I’ll take on-court results over stars and “top 200” rankings from a bunch of keyboard warriors who for the most part haven’t seen the vast majority of players they’re ranking other than in highlights.

Don't tell me what to do. Where did I ever say I didn't support Pike or want him to do well? Ever. I was simply reading this thread from the beginning and noticed the irony of your earlier post, given today's announcement. Suggest you man up and own it, rather than trying to shout down anything you deem contrary to your viewpoint. I think Pike is the best coach we have had in a long time. He has done a very good job so far. But recruiting has to pick up. That is a fact. Hopefully it does.
Think you mixed me up with someone else chief. Don’t know what earlier post of mine you’re referencing?

Give me on court results over whatever “stars” you’re looking for. AAU tape and Rivals rankings aren’t what got us to this point.

You make it sound like this was a 5 player class and we ended up with total garbage. In reality, we got a player who by almost all accounts was a late bloomer and was under-recruited due to COVID, and a developmental player.

We had another player who was apparently invaluable to the program based on some of the reactions here; we lost him due to an incredibly rare and bizarre situation (Kanye and his crew targeting random high schoolers for their fake program and selling them pipe dreams). Maybe we’ll get him in a year or two like Hyatt (who was a previous example of Pike’s awful recruiting himself and is now a potential starter here).

Long story short, if you try to recruit top players, you’re going to compete with other strong programs, many of which have more resources and history, and you’re going to lose far more players than you take in. That’s just the nature of the business. I’ll take on-court results over stars and “top 200” rankings from a bunch of keyboard warriors who for the most part haven’t seen the vast majority of players they’re ranking other than in highlights.
Lots to unload here. First,the kid is likely to go to Nebraska or Wisconsin. In an ideal world,Rutgers would clean up in the metro area and the NE preps. That is not happening anytime soon. Those kids are programmed to choose Cuse,UConn,SJU or the bigs who jump in like Duke and Louisville. There are no very possible NBA players in Ron and Cliff so there is talent.Cliff torched Nova inside. Getting one or both in an NBA uniform will cure many ills. Kids want to know that there coach or program will make them NBA ready. Back to locals. They want to play some at MSG. I have heard it for years. That's why I have always advocated Rutgers,like Duke committing to one OOC MSG game. Why had Rutgers performed so well the last 2 years and inevitably this year? Because Steve can coach. He is losing fewer kids on the trail than the Rutgers historic image is losing. Play a big game at MSG,dance again this year and get kids drafted and recruiting will catch up with coaching. Quickly.

This was going to happen. I don’t want to go any further and you can believe me or not believe me but it was determined that this kid wasn’t good enough. He never would have played and that’s why he decomitted. That’s the news. I’m not sure why this wasn’t determined when he was offered or when he committed but it was determined and it’s the best move for both him and us. This is actually a good thing as we can now get a player who is good enough.

I’m worried and not worried.

Pike recruited well the couple years before this, makes tournament, and seems to be struggling. Maybe something with him, or maybe other coaches stepping up their game

I won’t be convinced by anyone Pike is getting the kids (now only 2) he set out to get when this cycle started.

With that said it’s one class and it’s also basketball so you don’t need to recruit football team numbers over a couple years to quickly turn it around. 2 big time transfers after a strong year could put this all to rest

All I know is Pike and Co seem to need to do something better during this season to better relationships with 2023-2026 kids.

My fear is Pike is the type of coach who goes all in during the season on the current team and let’s other coaches out work him recruiting wise for 6 months of the year

Pike recruited well the couple years before this, makes tournament, and seems to be struggling. Maybe something with him, or maybe other coaches stepping up their game

I won’t be convinced by anyone Pike is getting the kids (now only 2) he set out to get when this cycle started.

With that said it’s one class and it’s also basketball so you don’t need to recruit football team numbers over a couple years to quickly turn it around. 2 big time transfers after a strong year could put this all to rest

All I know is Pike and Co seem to need to do something better during this season to better relationships with 2023-2026 kids.

My fear is Pike is the type of coach who goes all in during the season on the current team and let’s other coaches out work him recruiting wise for 6 months of the year
Idk. This years team seems really happy together and I’m predicting a very successful season. We are going after some higher level kids but are still losing. As an example; and I hate them, how do you say no to Syracuse? Boheim has created so many multi millionaires who were drafted and had successful NBA careers. You play in front of 30,000 plus in the dome. Don’t get me wrong, the RAC is rockinf when we are playing well but it’s not an attractive building. I don’t care if we can win with 3 star kids who want to play defense, but in order to take that next step and advance in the tournament, we need a few superstars.

Reactions: SantaFeScarlet
Sounds like something is cooking, this may have been at RUs request.....I would stay tuned for the next couple of months....

I am not a rumor mill guy, but multiple rumors floating in recruiting places on Twitter and elsewhere for quite a few schools, that are trying to get some things sorted out for kids that are moving up in recruiting based on this past summer etc......this appears to be what is best for both RU and Moore as well.

Too many of you need to come off the ledge. I trust in Steve. He will find someone else. There are hundreds of guys out there. The kid is returning to California to play which is where he played before moving to Tennessee. Who knows maybe he hopes to play on the west coast. Things happen. I think we will find someone else. It just was a surprise as he really seemed so happy when he selected RU.

Idk. This years team seems really happy together and I’m predicting a very successful season. We are going after some higher level kids but are still losing. As an example; and I hate them, how do you say no to Syracuse? Boheim has created so many multi millionaires who were drafted and had successful NBA careers. You play in front of 30,000 plus in the dome. Don’t get me wrong, the RAC is rockinf when we are playing well but it’s not an attractive building. I don’t care if we can win with 3 star kids who want to play defense, but in order to take that next step and advance in the tournament, we need a few superstars.
Last years team was happy in October.

Reactions: kcg88
Paul and Jaden were not consensus four star.
They weren't consensus three star either. Again, why do we need to have this defeatist attitude? Is the argument that they weren't Big Ten caliber recruits? That they weren't recruited by top programs? Or is it just nitpicking for the sake of it?

If it's just nitpicking and saying they weren't "real" four star recruits, then maybe that further proves that many here are overrating recruiting.

We need better players for 2022. We need at least one difference maker in this class. Not sure why any Rutgers fan would be happy with 2022 recruiting.
Because we still have a full season to play before the 2022 season and the transfer portal has been pulling in record numbers of athletes looking for playing time, which will be readily available here.

His normal routine has been to get his 1 top priority in a given class and round it out with solid role players and developmental pieces, with a good amount of striking out on those non-top 1 targets (which is normal at all but maybe 10 schools). Mulch, Cliff, Jones (before reclassifying) were all the top realistic targets in their years IIRC. Seems like they eased off without getting in-person looks in 2022 and didn't really have that 1 top guy. 2023 looks to be Yalden; let's see if the trend continues and we land him (Richie seems hopeful).

We're not going to get every player we recruit and we'll miss out on most. That's just a numerical fact.

Sounds like something is cooking, this may have been at RUs request.....I would stay tuned for the next couple of months....

I am not a rumor mill guy, but multiple rumors floating in recruiting places on Twitter and elsewhere for quite a few schools, that are trying to get some things sorted out for kids that are moving up in recruiting based on this past summer etc......this appears to be what is best for both RU and Moore as well.
Seems quite plausible. Thanks.

Be honest here does Braedan Moore look like a Rutgers player ? Looks like a sure Wisconsin , Nebraska , Iowa player. No loss when you still have a transfer portal and there will be some talent in it.

Awful news. I thought this kid was going to blow up…probably why we lost him. I would have thought our recruiting would have picked up and it seems to have gotten worse.
Be honest here does Braedan Moore look like a Rutgers player ? Looks like a sure Wisconsin , Nebraska , Iowa player. No loss when you still have a transfer portal and there will be some talent in it.
He doesn’t look like a Rutgers player because he looks like a dead-eye shooter (with size, no less), which is the type of player Rutgers rarely seems to get and why I was so excited to get him. Hopefully, Jones can fill that role. Still, I think this kid might be a big miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I do kinda subscribe to @Greene Rice FIG theory that highly rated or sought after players that end up choosing Rutgers are flawed in certain ways, and that if they really as good as their ranking or offer list they wouldn't end up at Rutgers. That's still true, or at least mostly true, but two seasons of tournament worthiness should chip away at that.

Moore was not as good as his offer list imo but it's still not good to lose a guy two weeks before signing day. If his Kansas offer were committable he wouldn't have picked us, let's be real.

My issue isn't losing Moore, it's the fact that Moore was the highest rated guy in the class. I'd like to see the on court success transfer to recruiting success.

Not worried one bit about this

Let’s see
1. Coming off two straight NCAA tourney years
2. Many experts saying that this is Pykes best team yet
3. We return 8guys that are 6’6” or better for 22-23
Cliff
Caleb
Hyatt
Jones
Mag
Palmquist ( we really don’t know how good he is yet)
Reiber ( Geo called him an athletic freak at 6’10”)
Paul
Based on the offers, I loved Moore but
I Didn’t love his film and I assumed he would evolve into a stretch 4 and def not a wing
If all those guys come back, where does he play?
People talk here as if recruiting is the sport and the results of the team are irrelevant
How can anyone say that Pyke is recruiting poorly when he is setting up for his third straight NCAA tournament?
Don’t quote me on recruiting rankings , the rankings mean nothing
The results on the court are all that matter , period

So the team that returns multiple starters who made back to back tourneys and were two minutes from a sweet 16 over a 2 seed doesn’t have talent? Got it.

This team was THE worst program in the country five years ago. Now second round tourney exit is underachieving. LOL.
This is a good perspective . Just a few years ago the tournament was a pipe dream. Listen, we were all upset last year because of the collapse in the houston game. But big picture the program is in good shape. We should all be happy if we wind up being a team that is in the tournament every year . Or 4 out of every 5 years. Once you’re in, anything can happen . We hadn’t won a tournament game in 40 years !!

Lots to unload here. First,the kid is likely to go to Nebraska or Wisconsin. In an ideal world,Rutgers would clean up in the metro area and the NE preps. That is not happening anytime soon. Those kids are programmed to choose Cuse,UConn,SJU or the bigs who jump in like Duke and Louisville. There are no very possible NBA players in Ron and Cliff so there is talent.Cliff torched Nova inside. Getting one or both in an NBA uniform will cure many ills. Kids want to know that there coach or program will make them NBA ready. Back to locals. They want to play some at MSG. I have heard it for years. That's why I have always advocated Rutgers,like Duke committing to one OOC MSG game. Why had Rutgers performed so well the last 2 years and inevitably this year? Because Steve can coach. He is losing fewer kids on the trail than the Rutgers historic image is losing. Play a big game at MSG,dance again this year and get kids drafted and recruiting will catch up with coaching. Quickly.
There have been more great players that have come from 2 miles from my house(Roselle Catholic) and the Patrick School(St. Pat's) in the last 15 years than all of the players that have ever come from NE preps in the last 30 years.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Think you mixed me up with someone else chief. Don’t know what earlier post of mine you’re referencing?

Give me on court results over whatever “stars” you’re looking for. AAU tape and Rivals rankings aren’t what got us to this point.
about 10 posts down on first page.

Recruits that can shoot 3 pointers should be a priority for Rutgers.

The Donda Academy is a prep school opened by Kanye West, REALLY??!??
Opened earlier THIS month backed by Adidas, recruiting all the top recruits from 2022, 23, 24 to attend this "prep school". 🤔🤔🤔

Guess this is the new AAU circuit, prep schools run by sneaker companies.
He’s moving from Tn to Cal to go play for a Kanye West prep school… maybe , just maybe kid has transformed a little toward the “me, myself and I” style that fails in Pikes Chemistry class. He may be hearing too many whispers with how good he is.
Memphis coach Penny Hardaway in a SI story talks college coaching is more about managing egos than coaching X’s and O’s. Memphis picked on top 10 after securing (2) major soon to be NBA players who are about their future no so much winning a championship for Memphis. Good for these kids who will get what they deserve because of their skills. For RU, I prefer to watch hard working kids building chemistry and having a team first attitude. It could be that we are better off left at the altar and finding a replacement that fits the culture. A culture that is five years developing and is an environment that best serves kids, after all, some who may never make it to the NBA.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Recruits that can shoot 3 pointers should be a priority for Rutgers.
The point is Moore is replaceable . The kid hasn’t even played in a college game yet and we ( because we are Rutgers) don’t believe coach Piekell can find another player who can “ shoot 3’s”. Better that he decided now .

Reactions: rume
A month ago, Donda Academy doesn't exist.

Now, they are #14 in all of high school basketball in the country without an actual head coach hired or game played ever, and a bunch of top recruits in 2022, '23, and '24 with multiple 4⭐ and 5⭐ talent from around the country brought to LA.

Because we still have a full season to play before the 2022 season and the transfer portal has been pulling in record numbers of athletes looking for playing time, which will be readily available here.
The problem with your comment is that the portal has helped other B1G teams more so than Rutgers.Maryland is rated higher than Rutgers preseason because of the portal transfers.

The problem with your comment is that the portal has helped other B1G teams more so than Rutgers.Maryland is rated higher than Rutgers preseason because of the portal transfers.
Because we didn’t have the minutes to give. No starting caliber 5th year senior big was going to come here to fill 10 minutes a night behind Cliff when they could play 25-30 a night at another P5 school. And outside of the bigs, we haven’t done too bad with the portal.

Next year, we’ll have more minutes to offer and hopefully at least 1 player drafted to show off.

I do kinda subscribe to @Greene Rice FIG theory that highly rated or sought after players that end up choosing Rutgers are flawed in certain ways, and that if they really as good as their ranking or offer list they wouldn't end up at Rutgers. That's still true, or at least mostly true, but two seasons of tournament worthiness should chip away at that.

Moore was not as good as his offer list imo but it's still not good to lose a guy two weeks before signing day. If his Kansas offer were committable he wouldn't have picked us, let's be real.

My issue isn't losing Moore, it's the fact that Moore was the highest rated guy in the class. I'd like to see the on court success transfer to recruiting success.
Why does a highly rate player who commits to Rutgers, somehow has to be flawed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT