ADVERTISEMENT

3,960,000 To 4,852,000

Now we're bragging about our TV ratings? Some fans will grasp at anything to make them feel good.
Actually, the ratings are a bye product of us winning and in the games we have lost- we have done well. That is what we are all proud of. I’m past years- OSU/RU would have been one of ISU’s least watched games.
I swear we have some of the most miserable fans

Right, he wanted a new stadium because he still thought we had the stadium you described and we told him no, we just expanded and spent 100M.
Delaney never wanted a new stadium. Read the story I posted.

Right around where the ratings are for other non-marquee conference games.

4.8m - Wisconsin
4.6m - Indiana
4.5m - Maryland

ND and Penn State were both almost 10m

Western Kentucky was 2.8m and Youngstown State was 1.2m
Ok so I guess our ratings aren’t that great if those teams are higher

Now we're bragging about our TV ratings? Some fans will grasp at anything to make them feel good.

vETFHMY.gif

whiole the links in the stories about teh top 16 and conferences has seem to have disappeared.. I found this which someone made from it and added Nate Silvers estimates for comparison... BTW.. Rutgers came in at 40 here.. not sure how long this link will work.. it is also google docs

Here's the weird thing.. check out the column for increase/decrease from Silver's 2011 estimate and Altimores 2021 estimate. For all the tipe twenty.. all but 3 or 4 had more than a 100% increase. While folks down here us got.. 30%, 25% (like Rutgers). I can see that.. maybe.. we had a downturn between 2011 and 2021.. but we also joined the Big Ten.. which boosted interest.. I think. But Oregon.. 750%? really? Syracuse 348%? and number 29? C'mon now. Maryland over 300%? I have heard tell their games don't sell out... smaller stadium than Rutgers, iirc.

Fanbase-Size-Silver-vs-TA-Google-Sheets-18-49.png

Last edited:
It is why we should never expanded. Yes build the Club Box etc. Upgrade the facilities. Put the student section in front of the hill and keep the cannon on the hill. We have never had a real actual sellout since the expansion. Too much ticket inventory.
Not really true.. Cinci drubbed us to a full house opening that south endzone section.

Probably a few other games that season and the next.. but, yeah, its been not full, though technical sellouts.. many many times.

I think college football contracts and rules changes catering to TV networks and advertisers also drove away some fans to go watch on TV. This waiting for a 2-week window to know kickoff times? Probably half the population would prefer to plan and would like more notice. CoVid hurt a lot to.. masks and rules..

I do think Rutgers is onto something with the Boardwalk and wanting to attract families... family entertainment. Would be great sometime down the road where families have an attachment to Rutgers football... and Rutgers, their state university.

Dude there are plenty of stories about this, not just 1 article. He suggested it and we told him hell no
If there are plenty of stories about why do people still post that we got in because of the expansion, which is 100% false. I was simply responding to someone you posted that nonsense again in this thread.

Dude there are plenty of stories about this, not just 1 article. He suggested it and we told him hell no

If there are plenty of stories about why do people still post that we got in because of the expansion, which is 100% false. I was simply responding to someone who posted that nonsense again in this thread.
Nothing better when two legacies go at it here. High drama !

whiole the links in the stories about teh top 16 and conferences has seem to have disappeared.. I found this which someone made from it and added Nate Silvers estimates for comparison... BTW.. Rutgers came in at 40 here.. not sure how long this link will work.. it is also google docs

Here's the weird thing.. check out the column for increase/decrease from Silver's 2011 estimate and Altimores 2021 estimate. For all the tipe twenty.. all but 3 or 4 had more than a 100% increase. While folks down here us got.. 30%, 25% (like Rutgers). I can see that.. maybe.. we had a downturn between 2011 and 2021.. but we also joined the Big Ten.. which boosted interest.. I think. But Oregon.. 750%? really? Syracuse 348%? and number 29? C'mon now. Maryland over 300%? I have heard tell their games don't sell out... smaller stadium than Rutgers, iirc.

Fanbase-Size-Silver-vs-TA-Google-Sheets-18-49.png
Those numbers look very wonky. As a data guy those look like the result of methodological issues between the 2011 and 2021 estimates and not remotely based on reality.

Those numbers look very wonky. As a data guy those look like the result of methodological issues between the 2011 and 2021 estimates and not remotely based on reality.
True. It is a story with the purpose of a "story". But presenting graphs and charts and "data" makes it look like some representation of reality.. when it is just a story this guy chose to tell... same as the last guy.. Silver.. to try this.

Is there a real way to count? Donor count plus some TV viewers count by looking only at the cupcake games? Even then you have an interest in watching a competitor's cupcake games. And some fans might take a pass on watching a cupcake game of their own favorite team. Then you have teh case that some fans might regularly have parties to watch games.. many people in one place while their own TVs are not tuned in. Tough to count.

Tough to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagleton96
True. It is a story with the purpose of a "story". But presenting graphs and charts and "data" makes it look like some representation of reality.. when it is just a story this guy chose to tell... same as the last guy.. Silver.. to try this.

Is there a real way to count? Donor count plus some TV viewers count by looking only at the cupcake games? Even then you have an interest in watching a competitor's cupcake games. And some fans might take a pass on watching a cupcake game of their own favorite team. Then you have teh case that some fans might regularly have parties to watch games.. many people in one place while their own TVs are not tuned in. Tough to count.

Tough to do this.
It seems like the second guy didn't even share his methodology (Silver did). So it's really just complete trash designed to garner some attention and clicks. I'd be embarrassed to put out something like that. And I'm amazed how much (non-critical) attention it got him and his firm.

Post one. Not from a unknown source either. Conspiracy theories always die with a lack of facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT