ADVERTISEMENT

42 ejected, 26 arrested during Badgers game on Saturday, UW police say

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Amidst the excitement at Camp Randall Stadium during the latest Wisconsin Badgers vs Rutgers match, it wasn't all rosy. According to a report from the Wisconsin State Journal, Wisconsin Police have released some concerning numbers related to disturbances at the stadium.

• Love
Reactions: Local Shill
Underage college students drinking? I’m shocked.

BAC of .20 is pretty bad though.

Oh, the horror!!! There were students drinking during the game!

It is pretty well known across college football that Wisconsin fans are some of the drunkest you'll ever meet.

Reactions: Section124
If they made the drinking age 16, or better yet eliminated it, there would've been no problem (except for the public urination, I suppose, but they don't ticket dogs for that, so it's a little messed up that they ticket people).

Never understood why the government felt it had the right to establish how old kids should be before having a drink. Leave it to parents or guardians.

Middlesex County Sheriffs Officers - may have been spotted riding up and down the student sections of Camp Randall in their ATVs, and I was worried about those students. We needed @RU4Real on hand to help keep things "real."

Reactions: ScarletDave
If they made the drinking age 16, or better yet eliminated it, there would've been no problem (except for the public urination, I suppose, but they don't ticket dogs for that, so it's a little messed up that they ticket people).

Never understood why the government felt it had the right to establish how old kids should be before having a drink. Leave it to parents or guardians.
You're joking, right ?

You're joking, right ?
No. I was drinking in HS, at around 14. As were many, if not most, of my fellow students.

As were, I suspect, a whole lot of our fellow forum members. So why do we pretend it's such an awful thing for everyone? It's hypocritical.

If parents don't share that attitude, fine. Let them manage their children however they wish. My objection is having the government instruct me on what I should do with my children.

No. I was drinking in HS, at around 14. As were many, if not most, of my fellow students.

As were, I suspect, a whole lot of our fellow forum members. So why do we pretend it's such an awful thing for everyone? It's hypocritical.

If parents don't share that attitude, fine. Let them manage their children however they wish. My objection is having the government instruct me on what I should do with my children.

I'd say a 14 year old not being able to walk into a liquor store and legally buy before getting home after finishing a day in 9th grade puts at least a minimal speed bump to their consuming alcohol.

Reactions: RU at the shore

I was in Houston once, about 25 years ago, and had dinner and drinks with some colleagues at Sambuca. The owners were friends and by the time the night was over I was a little befuddled as I attempted to make my way back to the Lancaster Hotel, which is all of 2 blocks away.

I had no idea where I was going. I was just walking down the street when I heard a guy say, "Hey... over here."

It was the doorman at the Lancaster. He recognized me - and my obvious state of inebriation. Had it not been for him, I would probably still be wandering around Houston.

The idea of pinning the name of your hotel to yourself isn't an altogether bad one, is my point.

So if a parent wants their 5 year old to get hammered, all good?

Reactions: runner3283

Puritanism. We need to control the demon rum and sex.

Reactions: mildone
New low for LE to be "patrolling" the stands and arresting college students at a football game for underage drinking, unless there was some other factor such as fighting or drunken stupidity that attracted their attention.
Were the cops just looking for anyone with a beer can or were they responding to complaints from other fans about conduct? We'll never know. But my guess is the latter because it's hard to believe that the cops would want to be in the position of IDing everyone with a beer can to see if they were under 21. Note also that there were some citations for conduct, such as being in the wrong section.

I have no problem with parents serving alcohol to underage kids in their own home. But I don't think drinking outside the home is a good idea for underage kids. Let's face it, underage kids don't always have good judgement, and alcohol/pot etc makes their judgement even worse.

I'd say a 14 year old not being able to walk into a liquor store and legally buy before getting home after finishing a day in 9th grade puts at least a minimal speed bump to their consuming alcohol.
I'm not sure what the age is to buy alcohol in stores and bars in various European countries. It might be around 18. Having been in many bars in Europe I can tell you I never see what look to be 14 year olds there, or even 18 year olds. I think the bigger issue is that a high drinking age makes alcohol a mysterous thing and causes parents to keep it away from kids, so they find it themselves, just like drugs. Drinking age is less relevant than the cultural attitude of danger danger danger in my opinion.

Were the cops just looking for anyone with a beer can or were they responding to complaints from other fans about conduct? We'll never know. But my guess is the latter because it's hard to believe that the cops would want to be in the position of IDing everyone with a beer can to see if they were under 21. Note also that there were some citations for conduct, such as being in the wrong section.

I have no problem with parents serving alcohol to underage kids in their own home. But I don't think drinking outside the home is a good idea for underage kids. Let's face it, underage kids don't always have good judgement, and alcohol/pot etc makes their judgement even worse.
What you describe has allegedly happened at Rutgers tailgates. Young adult college students having a beer with their parents getting ticketed for possession and/or consumption of alcohol. Sure, the law is the law, but there is a thing called discretion when issuing a ticket and/or letting someone off with a warning. My understand is that some of these incidents did not involve drunken or rowdy behavior, just aggressive patrolling. Don't know what the case was at Camp Randall. As someone who does not drink alcohol, I don't see the harm of young adults having an alcoholic beverage at a college football game as long as they are in control and not getting drunk. That line can get blurred though, and I understand that.

Last edited:
drunk-meme.gif

“In 2022, 24/7 Wall St. ranked Wisconsin as the nation’s “drunkest” state based on self-reporting, with 25.2% of Wisconsin residents drinking excessively. In 2021, 41 of the 50 most heavily drinking counties were located in Wisconsin.”

These are some of the dumbest comments I've ever heard. Let's let everyone urinate in the street whenever they want to and let 10 year olds drink. While we're at it, let's allow nine year olds to drive and eight year olds to carry a gun. As long as they have the approval of their parents and guardians. What an idiot and reflective of a pervading attitude toward parents' rights in this country. Absolute moron.

Last edited:
So if a parent wants their 5 year old to get hammered, all good?
Not in my opinion. Not in 99.999% of any parent's opinion. And that's not remotely what I suggested should happen.

There are lots of things parents can do w/their kids that they shouldn't do. Most are things the government doesn't legislate. Some things are legislated for good reason (e.g. murder, rape, abuse).

The question is, where do we draw the line on what we want government to involve itself in. For me, drinking age is one to leave up to parents.

Seat belts and helmet laws are another example. My kids always wore seat belts and used car seats before that, etc. Doesn't mean it ought to be a law.

Not a fan of a nanny state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT