ADVERTISEMENT

42 ejected, 26 arrested during Badgers game on Saturday, UW police say

These are some of the dumbest comments I've ever heard. Let's let everyone urinate in the street whenever they want to and let 10 year olds drink. While we're at it, let's allow nine year olds to drive and eight year olds to carry a gun. As long as they have the approval of their parents and guardians. What an idiot and reflective of a pervading attitude toward parents' rights in this country. Absolute moron.
Kind of hilariously ironic, you insulting my intelligence after failing entirely to comprehend the rather simple concept I posted. I recommend you work up more outrage and insults when you post. There wasn't nearly enough the first time and it always works so well. 🙂

Not in my opinion. Not in 99.999% of any parent's opinion. And that's not remotely what I suggested should happen.

There are lots of things parents can do w/their kids that they shouldn't do. Most are things the government doesn't legislate. Some things are legislated for good reason (e.g. murder, rape, abuse).

The question is, where do we draw the line on what we want government to involve itself in. For me, drinking age is one to leave up to parents.

Seat belts and helmet laws are another example. My kids always wore seat belts and used car seats before that, etc. Doesn't mean it ought to be a law.

Not a fan of a nanny state.
Parents have less control over kids than when I was young. Even if a parent says to a kid, "don't drink before you're 16," the parent has little power to enforce it.In addition, I don't think that kids view their parents as being authority figures as much as when I was a teen-ager. (That's not entirely a bad thing because parents aren't always right.) Parent's can't do the job of controlling juvenile drinking and so the state has to step in to reduce the risk the kid will cause harm by drinking. at a young age. It would be better if parents did it, but unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

P.S. I hope I didn't sound too much like an old man yelling at a cloud!

Puritanism. We need to control the demon rum and sex.
My kids were allowed to drink, with some limitations to keep them from legal trouble, starting their first year of HS. Only one ever did in the first few years. One started late senior year - she actually called me to tell me all about it, figuring I'd be pleased LOL. Another one didn't start until college.

Now, as adults, they drink only occasionally and always in moderation. Go figure.

I'd say a 14 year old not being able to walk into a liquor store and legally buy before getting home after finishing a day in 9th grade puts at least a minimal speed bump to their consuming alcohol.
I can live with legislating the age at which alcohol can be sold to kids. That's different from a drinking age, though.

Reactions: RutgHoops
Parents have less control over kids than when I was young. Even if a parent says to a kid, "don't drink before you're 16," the parent has little power to enforce it.In addition, I don't think that kids view their parents as being authority figures as much as when I was a teen-ager. (That's not entirely a bad thing because parents aren't always right.) Parent's can't do the job of controlling juvenile drinking and so the state has to step in to reduce the risk the kid will cause harm by drinking. at a young age. It would be better if parents did it, but unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

P.S. I hope I didn't sound too much like an old man yelling at a cloud!
I don't think you sounded like an old man yelling at a cloud at all. Nothing wrong with making observations or citing opinions.

The drinking age was raised to 21 before I started drinking. That didn't stop me or just about every kid I knew from drinking all through HS. Even the kids of cops in town would drink. So I'm not sure how much the drinking age is adhered to, then or now.

We never really tried to "control" our kids, per se. We tried to set examples and express rules and limits, especially when the kids were young. But as they got older, we gave them more choices and more responsibility, at younger ages than most parents around us, apparently.

For example, once they reached HS, my kids had no bedtimes nor did I wake them up in the morning. They were responsible for waking themselves up, and getting themselves to school or work or wherever on time. And they knew that, if they were late, it was on them, would affect them, not us parents.

Another example is that homework and studying was entirely on them, too. Do it, don't do it, it was their future and other than explaining the impacts, I never nagged or checked. I was available to help if asked, that was it.

In my kid's cases, that approach worked out well. All turned out to be very responsible.

I used to go to the Lafayette-Lehigh game for like 5 yrs when my buddy went there...craziest place out there. Everybody walked in with hidden booze and got busted & had it taken away. They had a gigantic box where they put the bottle of every alcohol imaginable. When they let you in you just grabbed a bottle out of the box as you walked past it....back in business!!!

Before the sanitary days you had someone else bottle whether it was Schnaps, brandy, vodka etc

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I

The drinking age was raised to 21 before I started drinking. That didn't stop me or just about every kid I knew from drinking all through HS. Even the kids of cops in town would drink. So I'm not sure how much the drinking age is adhered to, then or now.

Ah the days NJ 21 and NY 18. Every town in Bergen County would experience the annual 18 y/o HS senior crashing a car full of friends coming back from Rockland County. Only question was injuries or fatalities

I had young guys tell me "F*uck Rutgers" two different times as we walked past them after the game. But no violence. I just chalked it up to drunk kids.

I had young guys tell me "F*uck Rutgers" two different times as we walked past them after the game. But no violence. I just chalked it up to drunk kids.
Canned response: "Yeah, I heard your girlfriend did do that. We had a great time!"

Fight Me Bring It GIF by Yandel

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
Ah the days NJ 21 and NY 18. Every town in Bergen County would experience the annual 18 y/o HS senior crashing a car full of friends coming back from Rockland County. Only question was injuries or fatalities
I went to Hyland Blvd in Staten Island lots of good bars.....

Kind of hilariously ironic, you insulting my intelligence after failing entirely to comprehend the rather simple concept I posted. I recommend you work up more outrage and insults when you post. There wasn't nearly enough the first time and it always works so well. 🙂
OK, tell me what that simple concept was.

Was in Madison for the game, I agree that everyone was drinking all over the place but there was absolutely 0 fighting or disorderly conduct the entire weekend, including in the stadium, everyone was just happy - in wisconsin theyve probably been drinking since they were 12 so they knew how to handle it. 50 tickets & arrests is over the top, if these cops patrolled a Yankees game where there’s 3 fights per inning in the bleachers the entire stadium would be thrown out by the end.

Going into the stands and arresting students is a great way to ensure no one goes to the games anymore, especially at Wisconsin which already has a huge problem (biggest in the Big Ten) at getting students to show up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT