ADVERTISEMENT

5 on 5 Scrimmage

There’s clips of him him playing good D. In other videos he was guarding Ace well.
With all due respect, in all the various highlights clips of this Summer's workouts and scrimmages, Bailey almost always got to the place on the court that he wanted, whenever he wanted, regardless who was covering him. There were a couple of quotes in various articles that mentioned Derkack stating he thought he did okay keeping in front of Bailey a few times, but Bailey was able to shoot over him and MAKE the tough, closely guarded shots.

My point is, I have seen no indication that anyone in these practices has been able to defend Bailey, including Derkack.

The only defensive highlights I have seen were the one on one drills in one clip. Bailey pretty much did what he wanted against the defender. BUT ... Jer. Davis was great defending Williams - defensively dominated Williams in those full court one on one drills.

Look, I hope Derkack will turn into a great defender in RU's system: He is long, and athletic, and WILLING, and was the defensive player of the year as just a sophomore in his conference. But he will have to adjust to be both a man to man defender, and to understand how to properly help on defense in a man to man, which is very different from help defense in a zone.

Perspective: Spencer was only an okay man to man on-ball defender, but was outstanding in help defense. Mulcahy was also outstanding in help defense - and better than average in on-ball defense (helped by being 6'7" with long arms). McConnell was simply great in every aspect of defense. And I think Davis is currently RU's best on-ball defender, not even close. Pikiell has compared Dortch to McConnell (at least in potential), for whatever that is worth.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Your not answering my question. The clip you reference of Caleb is not a highlight clip of a game or scrimmage. No highlight clip is going to feature a bunch of off balance shots forced by a good defender. You might have a block or two sprinkled in on ESPN highlights - sure. But for the most part offensive plays are the focus in highlight videos.
I answered the question by showing what defensive highlights looked like. It does not matter if it is one player over a season versus what might be available for 10 players in a 5 by 5 for one scrimmage. You asked:

"What types of defensive highlights are you thinking would typically be featured in a 3 minute highlight reel like this, that are absent?"

Well.. ANY defensive highlight reel would show you what defensive highlights look like. I found one. You are not satisfied by that for some reason? I don't care.

If you have better questions to ask, ask them. But if you didn't see that the highlight reel focused on offense, which made it look like we were playing poorly on defense, I cannot help you. I even made allowances for why team defense might look bad at this point but that was not good enough for you.

You know what? You win. I was out of line in saying I wanted to see more D in the highlights. I don't know what I was thinking when expressing my opinion in a public forum without checking with you first as to what idea is allowable. I'll never again have anything to say about what a highlight reel looks like.

I answered the question by showing what defensive highlights looked like. It does not matter if it is one player over a season versus what might be available for 10 players in a 5 by 5 for one scrimmage. You asked:

"What types of defensive highlights are you thinking would typically be featured in a 3 minute highlight reel like this, that are absent?"

Well.. ANY defensive highlight reel would show you what defensive highlights look like. I found one. You are not satisfied by that for some reason? I don't care.

If you have better questions to ask, ask them. But if you didn't see that the highlight reel focused on offense, which made it look like we were playing poorly on defense, I cannot help you. I even made allowances for why team defense might look bad at this point but that was not good enough for you.

You know what? You win. I was out of line in saying I wanted to see more D in the highlights. I don't know what I was thinking when expressing my opinion in a public forum without checking with you first as to what idea is allowable. I'll never again have anything to say about what a highlight reel looks like.

Huh? You asked if they are playing defense or are they taking a vacation from it this summer. Then you suggested that perhaps there aren’t many defensive highlights to showcase yet because new players are learning Pike’s system.

The question I asked was in response to that specifically - I said from what I’ve seen typical day to day media highlights usually focus on offense way more than defense. I asked if you disagree. That’s all.

I never said it’s not possible to showcase D so your posting a collection of Caleb clips designed to showcase a defensive player of the year does not address my question. My point was that this highlight collection seemed similar to what one usually sees on a highlight clip from ESPN or a large media outlet - i.e. no red flag that the video is cluing us in to anything specific about what the D has looked like.

I’ll add that being this is a pre-season highlight video it’s obvious. I count 18 made baskets in the video by 9 players. My guess is if number 8 (is that Grant?) made a basket in the scrimmage it would’ve been included. They included an offensive rebound for him instead. There were 2 defensive plays included - so 10% of the footage, and it also seemed they went out of their way not to show who threw the pass that Ace picked off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT