ADVERTISEMENT

6th Year question

camps116

Redshirt
Oct 3, 2017
With this year being a wash with eligibility why does everyone expect a 6th year of college? Do the coaches get to decide who gets to stay an extra year on scholarship or is it decided by the athlete or even the school? I am concerned that this practice is going to have negative affects for both the athletes and university. My opinion about this is that education should come first and I don't feel like the university as a whole would like to keep someone on scholarship for 6 years. Just a curious question on how people feel about this.

Schools decide if they want to pay for the sixth year. Coaches still have a say as B1G scholarships are still only guaranteed for 4yrs.. Let's take Grello for example, neither the school nor the coach is obligated to pay for his 6th yr., if they don't want to.

However, most schools are just sucking up the cost and allowing the student athletes to come back. This won't hurt the school one bit. The total athletic budget is 1.8% of Rutgers University's entire budget. For comparison Utilities, Repairs and Maintenance is over 3%.

Nine or ten kids will be joining the team and there are around 30 on the roster now. Something has to give if there is a 30 man limit. Some have had their day and should be thanked for their contributions. In several cases, it may be better to make way for others to gain experience.

Nine or ten kids will be joining the team and there are around 30 on the roster now. Something has to give if there is a 30 man limit. Some have had their day and should be thanked for their contributions. In several cases, it may be better to make way for others to gain experience.
In football and basketball last years seniors don't count against the 85 and 13 scholarship limits nor the 105 roster and 16 roster limit. I would have to imagine last years seniors don't count against the 30 on the roster. But I'm not 100% sure on that but it seems the NCAA is making blanket rules instead of just piece meal.

In football and basketball last years seniors don't count against the 85 and 13 scholarship limits nor the 105 roster and 16 roster limit. I would have to imagine last years seniors don't count against the 30 on the roster. But I'm not 100% sure on that but it seems the NCAA is making blanket rules instead of just piece meal.
The 30 limit is not an NCAA rule, but a Rutgers rule.

I thought it was a combination, like the NCAA has some sort of criteria and whatever it is, Rutgers gets capped at 30

Doesnt Army have like 75 guys on their roster or something outrageous, granted they don’t award scholarships.

The 30 isn't an NCAA rule, like the 85 and 105 are. My understanding is that it's a Title IX compliance and funding thing here, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Other school have more and less.

Reactions: koleszar
Schools decide if they want to pay for the sixth year. Coaches still have a say as B1G scholarships are still only guaranteed for 4yrs.. Let's take Grello for example, neither the school nor the coach is obligated to pay for his 6th yr., if they don't want to.

However, most schools are just sucking up the cost and allowing the student athletes to come back. This won't hurt the school one bit. The total athletic budget is 1.8% of Rutgers University's entire budget. For comparison Utilities, Repairs and Maintenance is over 3%.
For some kids to come back it’s possible it’s only one class and the cost of that class is minimal at best ..not the full scholarship money you might envision ..

The 30 isn't an NCAA rule, like the 85 and 105 are. My understanding is that it's a Title IX compliance and funding thing here, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Other school have more and less.
That I did not know. So thank you for the information, figured since football and basketball are regulated all sports would be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT