ADVERTISEMENT

A.J. Surace plans to join Rutgers football in January

Because arriving early worked out so well for the last QB

Haha.
Good point. Literally could not arrive earlier than Wimsatt did.

For the people proclaiming Surace as a challenge to play next year as a true freshman - Wimsatt was already on campus for 4 months before Surace would arrive.

Reactions: Nowucme
Great for him to get acclimated to school, begin S&C, and go through Spring practice.
His Notre Dame stats this season are super impressive. Who knows. Maybe he’ll be the guy next Fall.
Meh...Mercer County isn't exactly top tier competition and his team lost to Paul VI which is an okay South Jersey squad. Can he be good? Sure, but I'm keeping my expectations tempered early.

Haha.

For the people proclaiming Surace as a challenge to play next year as a true freshman - Wimsatt was already on campus for 4 months before Surace would arrive.
He should still be driven to State College and given reps this week vs Penn State. Can never start too early with the reps. It’s all about reps. Reps reps reps.

He should still be driven to State College and given reps this week vs Penn State. Can never start too early with the reps. It’s all about reps. Reps reps reps.

Why even enroll early?
He can just throw in his backyard 365 days a year and develop just the same.

In fact, he can just throw from the safety of his backyard for 3 years then step in as a senior and be fully developed as a QB.
No need to worry about those pesky opponent defenses getting in his way of his throws.

Meh...Mercer County isn't exactly top tier competition and his team lost to Paul VI which is an okay South Jersey squad. Can he be good? Sure, but I'm keeping my expectations tempered early.
His team lost because their defense gave up a touchdown almost every single drive of the game. Same story all season. Kid lit it up with a serious lack of talent around him (except for our other recruit). He single-handedly made that team dominate their season. Agreed Mercer football is weak, but Surace destroyed every defense he faced with poor talent to work with.

Well - with a RS year to separate him and AS a bit we can finally start spacing out the QBs.

Will be interesting to see if RU hits the portal for another QB this off season.

Reactions: Kbee3
Why even enroll early?
He can just throw in his backyard 365 days a year and develop just the same.

In fact, he can just throw from the safety of his backyard for 3 years then step in as a senior and be fully developed as a QB.
No need to worry about those pesky opponent defenses getting in his way of his throws.
His father is head coach at Princeton. He could work out with Dads Squad and have practice almost anytime he wants.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Haha.

Wimsatt wasn't early. Wimsatt was literally last second.

Reactions: NickRU714
His father is head coach at Princeton. He could work out with Dads Squad and have practice almost anytime he wants.
It’s not about leaning how to throw. He’s got that. It’s about practicing at the college level. It’s about building chemistry with players and coaches. It’s about getting entrained in the culture. It’s about getting reps running our plays with our guys. It’s about getting in Rutgers Foootball’s weight room. It’s about getting ahead with course load. It’s about so many more things than throwing a football. It’s about getting an enormous head start. It’s a huge commitment he is making for Rutgers and for himself. It a major sacrifice, but this kid wants to make an impact on Rutgers success and wants to do it asap. He’s all in, that is for sure. Kid is a winner and a competitor.

GW arrived after the preseason camp. Not remotely comparable.
GW burned his red shirt without being on campus at all that year. So he missed preseason workouts, spring practice and the game, summer workouts, summer practice and 9 months being on campus and in school. Again why did we let him do that??

Reactions: ScarletDog
A qb getting here in January ( getting into the S&c, getting acclimated to college life, learning the program, playbook and everything involved in being a high major college Qb) can’t help?

Yeah good point
I watched 3 of his games live. Whenever you get a kid in early it’s a bonus. All those things are extremely important to for him. Even with all of that, I still wouldn’t burn his Redshirt. Let him run the scout team, play in the last three games of the season and the 2024 bowl game. It’s about putting him in the best position for 2025. Very few kids can play as a true freshman. I doubt he’s one, prepare for 2025.

GW burned his red shirt without being on campus at all that year. So he missed preseason workouts, spring practice and the game, summer workouts, summer practice and 9 months being on campus and in school. Again why did we let him do that??

Great point. I was wrong.

The plan likely was:
Jan 2022 - arrive on campus
2022 season (last year): Redshirt
2023 season (this year): play his 1st year as a RS-Frosh
Have 3 years left after this year.

Instead he arrived Sept 2021 and used 2021 as his RS year. Played last year and this year. Now only 2 years left.

Why did he do this? NIL
He did it right after QB Ewers left HS early to sign his NIL deals as well.

https://www.onthebanks.com/platform...s-football-next-week-greg-schiano-noah-vedral

“As reported by Kratch and Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio, who covers Wimsatt in his home state, the quarterback is expected to sign a six figure deal for use of his name, image and likeness once he enrolls. ”

Great point. I was wrong.

The plan likely was:
Jan 2022 - arrive on campus
2022 season (last year): Redshirt
2023 season (this year): play his 1st year as a RS-Frosh
Have 3 years left after this year.

Instead he arrived Sept 2021 and used 2021 as his RS year. Played last year and this year. Now only 2 years left.

Why did he do this? NIL
He did it right after QB Ewers left HS early to sign his NIL deals as well.

https://www.onthebanks.com/platform...s-football-next-week-greg-schiano-noah-vedral

“As reported by Kratch and Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio, who covers Wimsatt in his home state, the quarterback is expected to sign a six figure deal for use of his name, image and likeness once he enrolls. ”

Who cares if wimsatt only has 2 years left after this?

If he continues to play the way he has - hopefully one of the younger guys will take his place. So who cares?

Or If he somehow takes a HUGE leap forward (with his natural abilities) - you really think he’s gonna stay around at RU another 3 years after this? Really?

This is 2023. With the current transfer rules and NIL situation- you enjoy / use the talent you have at the given moment because year-to-year you have no idea which kids are gonna jump to greener pa$ture$

Anyone complaining that now Gavin (or any other player ) only has 2 (versus 3) years left is a friggin dinosaur with no understanding of the current state of college sports

Btw - this post isn’t necessarily directed at the person I quoted as I’m not sure if his post was a complaint or not but there was at least 1 poster making the complaint

Haha.

In reality if he has any accuracy he already has a major advantage of our current Passing challenged QB.
Let him learn the playbook early maybe Kirk gives him a chance next September.

This thread is a new low level of stupidity

A qb (who many people have very high hopes for) is gonna get here in January (and get all the football and school-related benefits of getting a head start) and people somehow find reason to negative about THAT?!?!?
Yes, it's not in the best interests of the kid to make him skip his senior year of high school. That's not negativity; it is common sense.

Yes, it's not in the best interests of the kid to make him skip his senior year of high school. That's not negativity; it is common sense.

If that is what the kid wants to do why the f$@k do you care?

How do you know what is best for the kid?

And who exactly is “making him” do it?

Do you know the kid personally and have some actual firsthand perspective on why this wouldn’t be a good idea for him?

Otherwise , you’re just like the rest of us know-nothing fans. And from a football perspective (which is really all us know nothing fans can speak from) I can’t see any reason why getting a jumpstart on football/ college has any downside

What a negative ass comment. Grow up
Is a negative ass like an inny belly-button? Like each cheek is intensely concave? Kinda like having three buttholes, with two being nonfunctional of course, instead of the usual one?

These are the sorts of thoughts that keep me awake at night. 🤓

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I prefer stupidity ^^^^
Hm... but you define "stupidity" as "holding a viewpoint other than mine". So you can see how your "ban stupid people" concept could backfire on you, right? If the mods adopt your definition of stupidity (stupidity = people stating viewpoints other than theirs), then you could wind up banned.

We could use IQ, but if we set the bar high enough, the forum would be like a ghost town. We could use academic achievement, but a preponderance of people with PhDs hold viewpoints you hate.

I'm just not sure your stated preference can be made to work. Unlike the good old days, it's just not very easy being arrogant and elitist anymore. Damn cultural change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT