ADVERTISEMENT

A.J. Surace plans to join Rutgers football in January

Because it's not in the best interest of any kid.
Any kid? Overly absolute statement.

Graduating early works out just great for plenty of kids. For example, I've got a friend who graduated HS a year early, went to the Naval Academy, did great in the Navy, left the Navy and became a commercial pilot, did great doing that and is now retired fairly young and living the good life.

How exactly was he harmed by graduating a year early? And I have other friends who also graduated early and went on to have very successful lives.

Yes, yes. But by which definition of "stupidity"? 😀

The worst stupidity being exhibited here is having a strong opinion without having a single clue what you’re talking about.

The guy saying that it’s a mistake for ANY kid to leave high school has no basis to make that comment. He doesn’t know this kid. He likely doesn’t really know the situation involved in the lives of any kids beyond his own (assuming he has some).

He’s talking out of his ass.

I can think of many reasons why it might be a mistake for a kid to forego the second half of his senior year

Conversely I can think of myriad reasons why it could be a good idea

Personally my daughter would have benefitted greatly if she could have skipped that semester and just moved on to the next chapter of her life

For this guy to make a blanket statement like that … just stupidity. More accurately it’s arrogance really = Knowing what’s best for people you don’t even know

Personally I refrain from commenting on what is “best for someone” unless I really know them and the facts involved. Even then I’m still hesitant to say definitively what is “best for them” because I don’t know what’s in their heart and mind no matter how well I think I know them

Others feel free to just talk out their ass and talk about what is “best” for people they don’t even know

Last edited:
Personally I refrain from commenting on what is “best for someone” unless I really know them and the facts involved
This is why I stick to really solid, universal truth style "best for someone" recommendations. Such as selling one's spouse and kids, or opening up a hookers and blow concession, or befriending sheep. Because these things are so obviously good ideas for everyone no matter their personal situation.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
This is why I stick to really solid, universal truth style "best for someone" recommendations. Such as selling one's spouse and kids, or opening up a hookers and blow concession, or befriending sheep. Because these things are so obviously good ideas for everyone no matter their personal situation.

Yeah well that’s just common sense ^

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I'm of the age group (late 40s) where literally every single one of my high school and college friends has a kid in high school or college. Any one of them comes to me and says he decided he's pulling his kid out of high school so he can go to college three months early and learn the football playbook ... as soon as I get out of earshot, I'm saying, "What an asshole." I don't care if it's one of the Manning brothers' kids and he is likely to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft, you're still an asshole if you let your kid leave high school early.

You may disagree, but frankly, I don't care. *shrugs shoulders*

I'm of the age group (late 40s) where literally every single one of my high school and college friends has a kid in high school or college. Any one of them comes to me and says he decided he's pulling his kid out of high school so he can go to college three months early and learn the football playbook ... as soon as I get out of earshot, I'm saying, "What an asshole." I don't care if it's one of the Manning brothers' kids and he is likely to be the #1 pick in the NFL draft, you're still an asshole if you let your kid leave high school early.

You haven't actually provided any logic or defense for your position. It's just "here's what I think" with no rationale for why. If you're not interested in helping people understand why you think something, why bother posting what you think?

I mean, I like turtles. You might disagree, but I don't care.

Reactions: BLewis1968

If you "don't care" why are you so angry???

Yes, it's not in the best interests of the kid to make him skip his senior year of high school. That's not negativity; it is common sense.
Well, half+ a senior year?

I am torn.. I recall many of my fellow students having "senioritis" rather early. And also a couple who left for college early just for academics.

I really do not know what to think. Did GW arriving early hurt his development or is he "on-schedule" according to his abilities? I have no idea. I do suspect we don't have anyone much better. Snyder is doing okay for Buffalo.. but it is hard to gauge how he'd do here.

So, did arriving early hurt or help or did not affect GW?

Dunno... so that leaves me at.. the truth.. not my decision.. it is up to the QB, his parents and the coaches. Gotta support the decision either way.

If that is what the kid wants to do why the f$@k do you care?

How do you know what is best for the kid?

And who exactly is “making him” do it?

Do you know the kid personally and have some actual firsthand perspective on why this wouldn’t be a good idea for him?

Otherwise , you’re just like the rest of us know-nothing fans. And from a football perspective (which is really all us know nothing fans can speak from) I can’t see any reason why getting a jumpstart on football/ college has any downside
I get both sides of the coin and what get's missed in the arguments- Is that these really are kids. Missing senior year of HS is really a big deal for a 17 y/o kid. If he/she knows it or not. Early enrollment is a little bit different then what GW did, if I recall. Correct me if wrong but didn't he also reclassify his year?

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I'm not angry at all. I'm sitting in my office listening to the radio, enjoying a soda and a bag of chips and pretty much doing zero work all day. Life is pretty good.
Then why are you calling a guy an asshole over this? Sounds to me you get angry over guys leaving early.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I'm not angry at all. I'm sitting in my office listening to the radio, enjoying a soda and a bag of chips and pretty much doing zero work all day. Life is pretty good.
Uh-huh. Keep eating carbs like that and it'll be pretty short, too. 😉

I wonder if Winowich, who is essentially doing a PG year at Notre Dame and has no connection to the school other than football, influenced the decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT