ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting A look at Rutgers scholarship quarterbacks during the Rivals era

Nice work, Richie, and also a great idea. I'm guessing certain positions have a higher star prediction rate than others. For example, I'm guessing that highly rated receivers have a higher chance of actual success than quarterbacks. Same with offensive linemen and defensive backs. Quarterbacks are harder to predict because their position is much more difficult to adapt to when they make the transition to college.

Scarlet Jerry

Nice work, Richie, and also a great idea. I'm guessing certain positions have a higher star prediction rate than others. For example, I'm guessing that highly rated receivers have a higher chance of actual success than quarterbacks. Same with offensive linemen and defensive backs. Quarterbacks are harder to predict because their position is much more difficult to adapt to when they make the transition to college.

Scarlet Jerry
OL is tough too…it is why you see a lot of 2-3,star OL do well. Some of the 6’6 320 4 star OL are maxed out and win every battle in HS because of size. But are they coachable, can they figure out how 5 can block 8 Etc
I do think WR and DB may be the most sure things out of HS

Some of the 6’6 320 4 star OL are maxed out and win every battle in HS because of size. But are they coachable, can they figure out how 5 can block 8 Etc

Also, they've gotten by mainly on size, but college is a great equalizer for that. Are they willing to put the time in the weight room to turn that bulk into muscle, and to put the time in on the practice field to learn all the little nuances that allow them to get better?

OL is tough too…it is why you see a lot of 2-3,star OL do well. Some of the 6’6 320 4 star OL are maxed out and win every battle in HS because of size. But are they coachable, can they figure out how 5 can block 8 Etc

RB?

Well there's a mostly painful walk down memory lane.
The one that got away that probably would have changed the trajectory of the entire program was PJ Walker. Right in our back yard at Elizabeth and was NJ.com's offensive player of the year in 2012. We offered only as an athlete and Rhule at Temple gave him the chance to play QB, oh well, what might have been.

Wow. I had to look up some of those names. Never heard of a couple. Surprised by Dares ranking. Saw him play a couple of times in high school. Didn’t really pop off the page.

Reactions: 17Q66
Ummmmmmmm.......Rivals got started in 1998, not sure when Scarlet Nation/RutgersFan joined the network
I’m just telling you what the linked article says. Cubit predates any recruits I see on here. But maybe he wasn’t on scholarship and maybe he transferred in like McLane and a few others. We obviously are both too lazy to look it up.

Yeah one story I remember was Fiore from Bergen County who played Hoops and was athletic but only weighed around 230 in HS. Rutgers took a kid from a nearby HS because he was 300 lbs already. That kid never really panned out. Fiore went to Hofstra and bulked up little by little then Had a nice career for the 49ers.

Yeah one story I remember was Fiore from Bergen County who played Hoops and was athletic but only weighed around 230 in HS. Rutgers took a kid from a nearby HS because he was 300 lbs already. That kid never really panned out. Fiore went to Hofstra and bulked up little by little then Had a nice career for the 49ers.
The more recent advent of social media has helped a lot. My stepson played at a tiny school up here and played BB and FB. Would be up between 280-300 playing FZb and drop down to as low as 190 playing the BB season.
He didn’t do too many camps as a few schools like USF and UCF had told him he had a ship waiting but if he camped and did poorly, he may lose them.
As parents back then, we had no idea of them game. And he had other kids that were football only at Ramsey and DBP getting offers from everybody but they were a true 300 and went to the camps.
If I knew the game back then, he most likely would have doubled offers and what I would say a 5.6 or so ranking.
So naive, that when GaTech and a couple of other fairly “named” schools tried to tell us to have him comment right then or lose it, we told them, he will wait and take his other visits. And this was as a NR kid…haha
Every school was still calling on NSD. But if you saw some of his recruiting pics, you would have thought he was a power forward and not OL.
Good thing a lot of them saw more than was on paper.

I’m just telling you what the linked article says. Cubit predates any recruits I see on here. But maybe he wasn’t on scholarship and maybe he transferred in like McLane and a few others. We obviously are both too lazy to look it up.

Richie answered it, Rivals didn't start rating recruits until 2022.

Interesting when you look at the hope vs reality of many players. Need Gavin to take a monster step forward.

The one that got away that probably would have changed the trajectory of the entire program was PJ Walker. Right in our back yard at Elizabeth and was NJ.com's offensive player of the year in 2012. We offered only as an athlete and Rhule at Temple gave him the chance to play QB, oh well, what might have been.
He wouldn't have been a great QB at RU. The coaches would have screwed it up, then they would have turned him into a bad WR.

The more recent advent of social media has helped a lot. My stepson played at a tiny school up here and played BB and FB. Would be up between 280-300 playing FZb and drop down to as low as 190 playing the BB season.
He didn’t do too many camps as a few schools like USF and UCF had told him he had a ship waiting but if he camped and did poorly, he may lose them.
As parents back then, we had no idea of them game. And he had other kids that were football only at Ramsey and DBP getting offers from everybody but they were a true 300 and went to the camps.
If I knew the game back then, he most likely would have doubled offers and what I would say a 5.6 or so ranking.
So naive, that when GaTech and a couple of other fairly “named” schools tried to tell us to have him comment right then or lose it, we told them, he will wait and take his other visits. And this was as a NR kid…haha
Every school was still calling on NSD. But if you saw some of his recruiting pics, you would have thought he was a power forward and not OL.
Good thing a lot of them saw more than was on paper.
Did he ever get to start at whatever school he went to?🧑‍🎄LOL

Reactions: yesrutgers01
KEVIN was the last of our top RT's
We have had a couple of good LT since then but agree with RT. Funny thing is- if we didn’t have AD who was an all time great, Kevin was much better at LT than RT. Just, not as good as AD..,

We have had a couple of good LT since then but agree with RT. Funny thing is- if we didn’t have AD who was an all time great, Kevin was much better at LT than RT. Just, not as good as AD..,

What are your thoughts on how Hollin Pierce is progressing?

And he also married Bob M.'s daughter, what's your point?
Umm you can pile up stats over 4 years. I would venture to guess most of the guys in the top 10 played 3 or 4 years . Not like we had some great quarterbacks that played 2 years and went to the NFL

Umm you can pile up stats over 4 years. I would venture to guess most of the guys in the top 10 played 3 or 4 years . Not like we had some great quarterbacks that played 2 years and went to the NFL

You really post this stuff without doing any research, don't you?

Yes, Ryan Hart was here 2002-2005. What you fail to account for is that in 2002 he was the 3rd string QB behind Ryan Cubit and Ted Trump, and only saw time in 5 games. Then you also fail to account for his last year, where he was injured and shared time with Mike Teel.

Ryan Hart (2002-2005)

2005: 155-255, 60.8%, 2135 yards, 18 TD's, 8 INT's

Mike Teel (2005-2008)

2005: 51-101, 50.4%, 683 yards, 2 TD's, 10 INT's *** Parts of 9 games, Ryan Hart was full time starter when healthy

big fan of Hart, kid was a trooper. Not the strongest arm by any stretch but was smart, accurate, and understood his role in Greg's offense

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
You really post this stuff without doing any research, don't you?

Yes, Ryan Hart was here 2002-2005. What you fail to account for is that in 2002 he was the 3rd string QB behind Ryan Cubit and Ted Trump, and only saw time in 5 games. Then you also fail to account for his last year, where he was injured and shared time with Mike Teel.

Ryan Hart (2002-2005)

2005: 155-255, 60.8%, 2135 yards, 18 TD's, 8 INT's

Mike Teel (2005-2008)

2005: 51-101, 50.4%, 683 yards, 2 TD's, 10 INT's *** Parts of 9 games, Ryan Hart was full time starter when healthy
Yes , I knew that . Of course , a board legend would.
Didn’t know you were looking for a year by year breakdown of hart’s career .
I never said he started every game for 4 years , did I ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT