ADVERTISEMENT

A NIL Deal to Support - Ron Harper Jr

He is looking profit on an individual performance. Down 1 next game the difference between you getting the ball and a teammate could be a few extra $.

The horror, I’m so sick!

In all seriousness he made a half court game winning shot against the #1 team. How often does that ever happen (or the chance of that happen)?

That makes me sick. College sports is officially messed up (in my eyes).
NIL for 99% of college players is a favored nations deal where everyone makes the same amount.
The 1% is a consumer driven market that will pay a player like RHJ whatever his market value is.
If Harper continued to play the rest of the season like he did last night, he’d be a first team All American and in this market he’d become a household name, be one of the most popular athletes in the metro area…and make pretty damn good money

NIL for 99% of college players is a favored nations deal where everyone makes the same amount.
The 1% is a consumer driven market that will pay a player like RHJ whatever his market value is.
If Harper continued to play the rest of the season like he did last night, he’d be a first team All American and in this market he’d become a household name, be one of the most popular athletes in the metro area…and make pretty damn good money
You are over my head. Favored nations?

I assume RHJ not making $ in Russia.

You are over my head. Favored nations?

I assume RHJ not making $ in Russia.
Favored Nations:
All Oklahoma Offensive Linemen are paid 500 dollars a month for their entire career, everyone makes the same in exchange for the company to use their name and likeness.
In my industry, Topps wants to come out with a vintage card collection that includes Berra, Mays, Williams, Mantle and Musial….no separate negotiations, all players are paid the same and agree to allow Topps the license to create and sell the product

He is looking profit on an individual performance. Down 1 next game the difference between you getting the ball and a teammate could be a few extra $.
That's why Pikiell does not recruit selfish players. Team first developmental players is his sweet spot....regardless of how many fans don't like it. AND, if a few don't develop they can move on and be replaced.

Reactions: mikebal9
Relax, I don't think he's going to be able to retire off the sale of a few t-shirts. Would you feel better if the money was going to freaking Barstool who have profited off t-shirts with Harper's likeness before? I'd rather it go in Ron's pocket than those guys.

When it comes to NIL I learned a long time ago, the money you make is only as good as your popularity and marketability.
I’m hearing rumors about Suriano selling his services to the highest bidder….I’m naive and don’t believe it.

When it comes to NIL I learned a long time ago, the money you make is only as good as your popularity and marketability.
I’m hearing rumors about Suriano selling his services to the highest bidder….I’m naive and don’t believe it.
I heard the same thing about Suriano, and I absolutely believe it! Why wouldn't you do it, and make as much $$$ as you can - especially in a sport like wrestling where there is no pro league paying millions of dollars. I don't like NIL, and I think it has killed amateurism (or at least the illusion of amateurism) but this is the landscape they are all playing in. Gonna make me like college sports less especially because this will become 'The Haves' and 'Have Nots' and I think we are on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to this and getting good talent.

Reactions: newell138
I heard the same thing about Suriano, and I absolutely believe it! Why wouldn't you do it, and make as much $$$ as you can - especially in a sport like wrestling where there is no pro league paying millions of dollars. I don't like NIL, and I think it has killed amateurism (or at least the illusion of amateurism) but this is the landscape they are all playing in. Gonna make me like college sports less especially because this will become 'The Haves' and 'Have Nots' and I think we are on the wrong side of the fence when it comes to this and getting good talent.
Of course you would do it if you were Suriano, not questioning that.
I don’t believe anyone is going to offer it without a return on investment, he’s not marketable imo

In my industry, Topps wants to come out with a vintage card collection that includes Berra, Mays, Williams, Mantle and Musial….no separate negotiations, all players are paid the same and agree to allow Topps the license to create and sell the product
Am curious.. any talk of them (well, anyone) using CGI and AI and voice fx to basically recreate your dad and others for ads and so on? How can you protect his image and for how long will his descendants retain control? For example.. novels up to the mid-twenties are public domain now.. I wonder if the author's NIL is still protected...

Photos taken of these players.. who owns that.. the photographer or the players families? or both? The CGI/AI question above was one of if they could CREATE moments that never happened... Yogi shaking hands with some other player... which may have happened but there isn't any good photographs.. maybe recreate the Jackie Robinson steal of home plate to show him clearly OUT... AND look like a real photo...

Of course you would do it if you were Suriano, not questioning that.
I don’t believe anyone is going to offer it without a return on investment, he’s not marketable imo
I understand what you're saying - wrestling is not football or basketball. However, I think putting money into a Wrestling National Champion does have value. On top of that I don't think this is all about a financial Return on Investment - I think there are some who want a seat at the table/to be able to pay to bring the best here so they can be part of being a winner.

Ron shouldnt sell t shirt. he should sell that digital making of "the shot". not sure why that is a thing, but those things go for a lot.

I understand what you're saying - wrestling is not football or basketball. However, I think putting money into a Wrestling National Champion does have value. On top of that I don't think this is all about a financial Return on Investment - I think there are some who want a seat at the table/to be able to pay to bring the best here so they can be part of being a winner.
What’s the NIL deal? You can’t just give him a bag of money.

Last edited:
What happens if Suriano gets in trouble?
If you’ve heard about the stuff he pulls it’s not far fetched.
What if the guy who offers the NIL is a gangster? Lol
all that stuff will happen.....

many schools and many players will cross the line....there is now a legal way to make a payment. How about a QB in a game knowing he passes for 500 yards he can sell a NFT showing the feat OR there is a promotion for free hamburgers? Coach calls running plays and kills the QB pay day.

In the end what will end up happening is all schools need to retrofit their athletic programs for athletes to earn NIL. This will add to expenses and reduce revenues and hurt donations to non NIL things. Non revenue programs will be cut. Eventually schools will have to make a decision if ig time athletics is worth it given the cost to run it.

It is naive to think it wont impact income statement of most athletic programs.

Bottom line was that the tide had turned a while ago regarding the issue so it was inevitable that NIL in one shape or form was going to happen. So as much as I’m a romantic and would love to believe that the players are all out there solely for the love of the old alma mater I know that’s fantasyland. A coach who just finished third in the Big Ten East just got a contract extension for like 10 years at $10 million a year or something. If a college athlete sees stuff like that off his sweat and blood and is going to get a cut of a few t shirt sales I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I’m also not going to lose any sleep if Michigan State can only pay it’s head coach $5 million a year rather than $10 million. We want players to play just for the love of the game but have you ever heard some of the things fans in the stands say about these 20 year old kids? Pure? Haha.

The old man shopped him around to find the best deal. Michigan was the winner been reported over $200k closer to $250k. Too many sources out there saying the same thing to think it’s not true. The Suriano’s have always been about the Suriano’s there’s no loyalty or team aspect in their thought process.

The old man shopped him around to find the best deal. Michigan was the winner been reported over $200k closer to $250k. Too many sources out there saying the same thing to think it’s not true. The Suriano’s have always been about the Suriano’s there’s no loyalty or team aspect in their thought process.
What’s the deal?
Who’s paying the money, what are they using his NIL for.
What’s the licensing deal.
Where’s the contract, has to be approved and reviewed by competent attorney’s.
What’s the name of the company offering the deal, what do they do and how will they use the kids name and likeness, what are Suriano’s obligations.
A lot of BS talk imo.

Last edited:
What’s the NIL deal? You can’t just give him a bag of money.
Bags of money have been going on forever, were happening way before NIL deals and will continue to happen. Boosters who remained in the shadows for all these years are not going away, and are still going to get star players money. Here is this little doozie from UT - Non-profit giving $50K to every UT lineman -this is probably a tax write off too:

Bags of money have been going on forever, were happening way before NIL deals and will continue to happen. Boosters who remained in the shadows for all these years are not going away, and are still going to get star players money. Here is this little doozie from UT - Non-profit giving $50K to every UT lineman -this is probably a tax write off too:

You just made my case.
A transparent structured favored nations deal with a legitimate entity putting up money in exchange for the use of Name and Likeness to promote charities.
No one is giving Suriano a bag of money!!!

Alabama QB has a half dozen structured NIL deals with reputable companies requiring he makes appearances, promotes their products and use of his NIL as long as he approves it and shines him in good light.
Worth 7 figures all in.
Completely transparent

You just made my case.
A transparent structured favored nations deal with a legitimate entity putting up money in exchange for the use of Name and Likeness to promote charities.
No one is giving Suriano a bag of money!!!
Right - but what's to stop John Doe from giving a Suriano a $100K NIL deal and then pretty much do nothing with it. It was really just a way to give Suriano money 'above board'.

$100K NIL Deal - 'Come see Nick Suriano turn on the sprinkler system at ABC Landscaping this summer'. There is no way boosters will not find loopholes to get star athletes money.

Last edited:
Right - but what's to stop John Doe from giving a Suriano a $100K NIL deal and then pretty much do nothing with it. It was really just a way to give Suriano money 'above board'. There is no way boosters will not find loopholes to get star athletes money.
Because John Doe needs to be a reputable entity, not just some booster.
And if the booster is a reputable entry, the deal will need to be made transparent and above board.
All the college marketable players receiving individual NIL deals are all well documented

Because John Doe needs to be a reputable entity, not just some booster.
And if the booster is a reputable entry, the deal will need to be made transparent and above board
John Doe can go through ABC Landscaping to get Suriano (in this example) his money. John Doe gives ABC Landscaping $100K to get Suriano to make an appearance to turn on the sprinkler system 3 times next summer. Look I don't know the 'ins and outs' of the NIL deals, but I do know above board has never mattered in the past to boosters and certainly won't now, now that the flood gates have opened.

John Doe can go through ABC Landscaping to get Suriano (in this example) his money. John Doe gives ABC Landscaping $100K to get Suriano to make an appearance to turn on the sprinkler system 3 times next summer. Look I don't know the 'ins and outs' of the NIL deals, but I do know above board has never mattered in the past to boosters and certainly won't now, now that the flood gates have opened.
“Suriano signs NIL deal with ABC landscaping”
The deal includes 100 thousand up front money in exchange for the National Championship wrestler promoting ABC Landscaping company, unlimited use of the wrestlers name and likeness and making appearances.
When I read that I’ll believe it.
Not happening!!!!!
Even these nice little NIL deals Geo and Harper have are well documented and envolve reputable companies.
By the way Saint Pup, I respect your thoughts and enjoy the back and forth, good sports talk man

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT