ADVERTISEMENT

AJ Blazek

RURahh

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2013
I was fortunate to be sitting only a few rows from the RU bench. A few observations I had are as follows

A) Kill was down on the field which is not usually the case with coordinators. Guessing it was his first game, maybe he thought it was important to be with his guys. Very calming presence

B) Have been reading for months about Blaseks energy and got to see in person. Obviously his effect on the O line was obvious as is his recruiting. He talked and energized ANYONE around him, not just his guys, but all skill players as well. He and Kill are a nice complement toeach other

C) You could feel the energy drained from the bench after Ash punted from the Husky 45 and then even more when they marched downfield. Clear signal he was playing for moral victory and not to go for the jugular and get the win. While not a head scratching decision, I hope he is more comfortable taking risks going forward. Love him or hate him, Flood was actually a decent game day coach and took chances. Ash is pretty Schiano- like thus far, but a less authoritarian version

Our defense will keep us in many games this year, curious to see how the offense performs next week

on a separate note, is anyone glad we decided to schedule Morgan State this year instead of Howard. Cam newton's little brother, lit up the scoreboard for the Bison

Reactions: DirtyRU
Boy, some have short memories and long tempers.
He did a lot wrong, but Flood took chances on the field (as well as off the field).
Fake punts and FGs among other players. He's gone, and more interested in future.
Ash and Kill both said they played it conservative to keep UW's offense off the field. That's good enough for me. The play book will open up the next 2 games.

I was fortunate to be sitting only a few rows from the RU bench. A few observations I had are as follows

A) Kill was down on the field which is not usually the case with coordinators. Guessing it was his first game, maybe he thought it was important to be with his guys. Very calming presence

B) Have been reading for months about Blaseks energy and got to see in person. Obviously his effect on the O line was obvious as is his recruiting. He talked and energized ANYONE around him, not just his guys, but all skill players as well. He and Kill are a nice complement toeach other

C) You could feel the energy drained from the bench after Ash punted from the Husky 45 and then even more when they marched downfield. Clear signal he was playing for moral victory and not to go for the jugular and get the win. While not a head scratching decision, I hope he is more comfortable taking risks going forward. Love him or hate him, Flood was actually a decent game day coach and took chances. Ash is pretty Schiano- like thus far, but a less authoritarian version

Our defense will keep us in many games this year, curious to see how the offense performs next week
Schiano ran fake punts on 4th down,trick plays,had great special teams, ..how is Ash anything like Schiano?? Huh?

Reactions: rutgers48
Ash made the right calls.

Rebuilding a program that has been mediocre requires risk analysis. In year 1 and 2, playing in a conference where you are out talented, rule #1 is to minimize blowouts. Sure, the team could have done something there, but the score could also have shifted Washingtons way to a bigger blowout. I am sure he does not make the same move after he knows what he has on the roster, and it is mid season.

30-14 looked like a competitive game. Same calls made mid season in similar game situations and the arm QB's can judge. Some of you need to get into coaching. You know so much, but only to the benefit of a message board. Go do the damn thing.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and asgot
Like I said in the OP it certainly wasn't a head scratching call but it sucked the energy from the sidelines and likely the stadium after Washington marched downfield.

As for Flood, he did take many educated Gamble's on game day, but as another poster mentioned, that extended to other days of the week. So far, Ash's offense looks a lot like Schiano's, so hoping that will change down the road

C) Bothers the Hell out of me.ONLY W's count at the end of the year. MV's SUK B1G TIME. ATTACK at ALL times

on a separate note, is anyone glad we decided to schedule Morgan State this year instead of Howard. Cam newton's little brother, lit up the scoreboard for the Bison
really amazing how under-recruited he was... he might not be the behemoth that Cam is, but the talent is clearly there. Seriously, Howard, Hampton, Kentucky Christian and Savannah State were the only offers for him nationally?

Reactions: Rokodesh

A lot of truth regarding # 3, however, risk / reward factor. If Ash went for it, and we were stuffed, naysayers would have come out of the woodwork. If wentbfor it, got stuffed, and Washington scored quickly, oh boy........

Schiano ran fake punts on 4th down,trick plays,had great special teams, ..how is Ash anything like Schiano?? Huh?
Schiano would bring the sell-out blitz when he thought he had the other QB on the ropes. (Brohm, Grothe) He had a killer instinct that way. When Flood didn't do it (Bridgewater) it was a bad outcome.

Reactions: redking
Sorry, I should have defined the Schiano comparison as it was to the offense. Loved Schiano's aggressive blitz schemes and yes, occasional fake punt and FG. The old run run pass under Schiano was not there with Flood, but has returned under Ash. A few posts talked about this being the type of offense Kill ran in Minny, that won't work again BIG 10 lines. Love to see more Bubble Screens, Slants, Jetsweeps, etc

really amazing how under-recruited he was... he might not be the behemoth that Cam is, but the talent is clearly there. Seriously, Howard, Hampton, Kentucky Christian and Savannah State were the only offers for him nationally?
He's got the same problem Chas Dodd had. He's only like 5'7". He'd never see over a P5 offensive line.

Ash has said and I will practically will quote him is that his gameplan all season is to win with our defense. As I said he said that almost verbatim. So any decision will be made that gives our defense the advantage. Punting on the 45 and hoping the defense will give us field position is part of that gameplan.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! NO, HE WASN'T a "good game day coach" BUT he likely would have gone for it there, I'll give you that...

...agree with the rest of your post (although maybe Kill will stay on the field, who knows...he was a HC most recently so might be easier for him that way?) however!!

C) Bothers the Hell out of me.ONLY W's count at the end of the year. MV's SUK B1G TIME. ATTACK at ALL times
There are countless instances in the history of football where a conservative play was a key play within a victory.

That's easy to say from the Cheap seats
Cheap? I'll have you know that I was sitting in a recliner that cost me $500.00 ,28 years ago. Today's price would be a GRAND.
There are countless instances in the history of football where a conservative play was a key play within a victory.
You say EETHER ,I SAY EYETHER. To each his own.:sunglasses:

Cheap? I'll have you know that I was sitting in a recliner that cost me $500.00 ,28 years ago. Today's price would be a GRAND.

You say EETHER ,I SAY EYETHER. To each his own.:sunglasses:
Clearly you invested wisely, in that recliner!!

Reactions: beaced
28 years old? Is it still in good shape? Were you permitted to bring a seat cushion or were you forced to throw it in the trash? How was the line going to your seat?
Thou verily jests.Truth be known ,it's in my bedroom.And sad to say,in better shape than I am.BTW, I still have the will to train but not the way. Torn rotator cuffs did me in a number of years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT