ADVERTISEMENT

Alejandro Herrera commits to Oklahoma

Lex Knapp

All Conference
Staff
Mar 27, 2018
Alejandro Herrera, a two-time PA state champ, has committed to the University of Oklahoma. Rutgers was one of Herrera’s top five schools.

Herrera, a junior at Seneca Valley HS, took a visit to Rutgers early this fall. He was on campus the same weekend as the latest Rutgers wrestling commit, Dylan Weaver.

Herrera is currently ranked 3rd in Flowrestling’s PA rankings at 132-lbs, and is ranked 33rd on the 2021 Big Board.

Based on this weather it’s hard to not fault a kid for wanting to go south for the winter.

at least it wasn’t OKie state!!

More Midwest lol
As a lifelong Minnesotan and Iowan, I'll take a 39 degree average winter temperature over 12 degrees (MN) and 21 degrees (IA) any time!

I could be wrong about this, but I think Oklahoma is considered south, or, at least, Great Plains, but not Midwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUPOWER
@Lex Knapp Who are our most realistic targets left for 2020 or 2021 at this point?
I think it’s safe to say that 2020 is close to finished up. Maybe one slips through the cracks late or a transfer comes in come spring time.

2021 still has Shayne Van Ness, who I was told today is still a realistic get. I’m not saying RU is a favorite, but they are still very much in the hunt. Another guy people seem to be high on is Nate Schon, a 220-lb sophomore from PA. He is an unbelievable athlete for his size, but it’s probably hoped that he would fit into 197, as Hamilton has more of a heavyweight build. Vincent Santaniello of Brick Memorial is someone that is a very achievable pick up, and has great family ties to Coach Goodale. Ryan Crookham, a sophomore at Notre Dame HS (PA), is a stud who is family friends of the Santaniello’s. A commitment from Vincent Santaniello could peak the interest of Crookham.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it’s safe to say that 2020 is close to finished up. Maybe one slips through the cracks late or a transfer comes in come spring time.

2021 still has Shayne Van Ness, who I was told today is still a realistic get. I’m not saying we’re a favorite, but we’re still very much in the hunt. Another guy people seem to be high on is Nate Schon, a 220-lb sophomore from PA. He is an unbelievable athlete for his size, but it’s probably hoped that he would fit into 197, as Hamilton has more of a heavyweight build. Vincent Santaniello of Brick Memorial is someone that is a very achievable pick up, and has great family ties to Coach Goodale. Ryan Crookham, a sophomore at Notre Dame HS (PA), is a stud who is family friends of the Santaniello’s. A commitment from Vincent Santaniello could peak the interest of Crookham.

@MS-RU I probably should have put a disclaimer that not all of those are the most “realistic” targets. However, they are all very much in play. I will have a detailed recruiting update coming later this week.

LK: Is our starting 285 next year on our roster right now?
Thanks. $$$$

Thanks Lex! Appreciate your response.

Happy to hear that SVN is still in play and we have a real shot of landing...that would make for another incredible class with at least 3 top 35 guys at this point. I think Weaver climbs into the top 20/25 this year but that's besides the point.

Crookham would be next level as he is currently ranked #1 in 2022

Reactions: Lex Knapp

2021 still has Shayne Van Ness, who I was told today is still a realistic get. I’m not saying RU is a favorite, but they are still very much in the hunt. Another guy people seem to be high on is Nate Schon, a 220-lb sophomore from PA. He is an unbelievable athlete for his size, but it’s probably hoped that he would fit into 197, as Hamilton has more of a heavyweight build. Vincent Santaniello of Brick Memorial is someone that is a very achievable pick up, and has great family ties to Coach Goodale. Ryan Crookham, a sophomore at Notre Dame HS (PA), is a stud who is family friends of the Santaniello’s. A commitment from Vincent Santaniello could peak the interest of Crookham.

I believe Santaniello has a younger brother who is a state caliber wrestler as well.

I believe Santaniello has a younger brother who is a state caliber wrestler as well.
You are correct. Anthony, the younger brother, is a freshman this season. I’ve seen him wrestle many times, and he is one to keep an eye on.

Thanks Lex! Appreciate your response.

Happy to hear that SVN is still in play and we have a real shot of landing...that would make for another incredible class with at least 3 top 35 guys at this point. I think Weaver climbs into the top 20/25 this year but that's besides the point.

Crookham would be next level as he is currently ranked #1 in 2022
Crookham, being younger, is still an arms length away from any legitimate recruiting status. But if Rutgers were to land Santaniello I believe they would have a chance with at least getting Crookham’s interest.

Just watched Alex and Eli on the Big Ten Netowork - the story of Alex Marinelli and Eli Stickley. Hence why I’m still up this late. Highly recommend you all to make time to watch it if you did not do so tonight.

One last note before I call it a night. The current roster, mixed with the incoming recruiting classes, can make a tremendous team moving forward. This lineup could feature Alvarez, Jojo, Vulahk, Kanniard, Turley, O’Neill, Poznanski, Janzer, Hamilton and combination of other talented wrestlers. That team, if they develop, will win a lot of matches, find a lot of success, and that will lead to a HUGE upswing in recruiting.

As I said earlier, I’ll have more to come this week. But point being, do not be too worried about recruiting just yet. The recruiting will benefit immensely if these young hammers we have now, and coming in, find a way to reach their potential as individuals and a team.

Reactions: zazoo2002
I watched Alex and Eli and it was sensational. Oddly they never mentioned Alex’ family at all. Strange

Reactions: TRU2RU
I am worried about Hamilton becoming a football commit.
Does he have any serious interest from big time football programs?

Alex Esposito or the younger Collucci could be good stop gaps until Hamilton is on board. Miss the days of DJ Russo and Billy Smith

I am worried about Hamilton becoming a football commit.
Does he have any serious interest from big time football programs?

Alex Esposito or the younger Collucci could be good stop gaps until Hamilton is on board. Miss the days of DJ Russo and Billy Smith
Hamilton does have scholarship offers from Georgia Tech, Boston College, Vanderbilt, and interest from a few other programs. However, I’ve been told by multiple people that Kyonte wants to wrestle in college.

As far as the heavyweight situation goes, the one silver lining is that former D1 AA, Jimmy Lawson, and world-class grappler/former NISIAA State place winner, Nick Rodriguez, frequently practice with RU big men at NJRTC practices. Many of you may remember Nick Rodriguez from his exhibition match with Pat Downey at Flo’s Who’s #1.

Another year of work with those two monsters should help quite a bit in the development for Alex Esposito.

I watched Alex and Eli and it was sensational. Oddly they never mentioned Alex’ family at all. Strange

If you can find it, Flowrestling has a good video interview with Marinelli from a few years ago, where he goes into detail about his hardships growing up. Very poignant.

Okie winter's not so great..It is a flat dusty ttornado infested state. Academically ? Does it matter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT