ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Another BOOM -- Rutgers lands Harvard heavweight transfer Yaraslau Slavikouski

Not "so high". I do remember him being an attractive get out of high school, But I didn't follow him closely; was he not that good? And I qualified it by suggesting an assessment of his recent performance and situation. I'm fully aware that some fail to live up to expectations once in college wrestling.
Well you keep mentioning Mays so thought you would know more on him.. what was his big board ranking coming out of hs?? I think he had .500 record at Rider and didn’t qualify for nationals.. so to me this would be his baseline expected performance wherever he transfers to… anything much better would be an outlier unless you saw something..

Don’t think he would start here as he lost to Kanniard last year.. but yeah if doesn’t cost much $$ he would add quality depth sure why not.

Well you keep mentioning Mays so thought you would know more on him.. what was his big board ranking coming out of hs?? I think he had .500 record at Rider and didn’t qualify for nationals.. so to me this would be his baseline expected performance wherever he transfers to… anything much better would be an outlier unless you saw something..

Don’t think he would start here as he lost to Kanniard last year.. but yeah if doesn’t cost much $$ he would add quality depth sure why not.
I've only mentioned him in the post you responded to and once before when it was announced that he was available, as follows: "After an unimpressive start, would he even be expecting money? Was he getting scholarship at Rider?"

I didn't remember that Kanniard beat him. That being the case, I'd pass.

Don’t care what the head to head result was, Mays is a better wrestler than Kanniard

Kanniard can look like an NCAA qualifier and win a match there one period, than the next you’re like, “what the fvck just happened”. It’s absolutely maddening to watch.
Didn’t Kanniard deal w/ injuries last season? Either way, he was able to beat Mays in a inj filled season.. Kanniard showed glimpse of potential his freshman year(went 5-1 in b10) so yeah I’ll go w/ a healthy Kanniard to have more upside then Mays.. even if Mays was somehow and upgrade.. it would be very marginally better .. so much for all the “loyalty” talk from some on the board.

To be fair, loyalty is dead in college sports anyway.

Didn’t Kanniard deal w/ injuries last season? Either way, he was able to beat Mays in a inj filled season.. Kanniard showed glimpse of potential his freshman year(went 5-1 in b10) so yeah I’ll go w/ a healthy Kanniard to have more upside then Mays.. even if Mays was somehow and upgrade.. it would be very marginally better .. so much for all the “loyalty” talk from some on the board.
Kanniard beat 2 back up wrestlers and starters from the 3 worst teams in the conference that year. He is 2-7 against big 10 opponents since with wins coming against Maryland and Purdue.

Mays is a better wrestler and has more eligibility plus a redshirt available. I don’t think he’s necessarily the long term answer at 165 but he’s an upgrade and Kanniard shouldn’t be the reason we don’t pursue him.

Kanniard beat 2 back up wrestlers and starters from the 3 worst teams in the conference that year. He is 2-7 against big 10 opponents since with wins coming against Maryland and Purdue.

Mays is a better wrestler and has more eligibility plus a redshirt available. I don’t think he’s necessarily the long term answer at 165 but he’s an upgrade and Kanniard shouldn’t be the reason we don’t pursue him.
What was Mays best win last year?? What was his big board ranking coming out of hs.. he musta been really high since he didn’t really prove much last year and people here still want to pursue him.. we are really grasping at straws here.. lost to not fully healthy Kanniard last season, .500 record in weak division, didn’t qualify for nationals.. I’m failing to see this upgrade…

I think staff just crushed it at 285LBS. and got the best 285lber in portal. I know Davison is a 2X AA and signed with Michigan but he only has 1 year left. Yaraslau is 1-1 against him ( won 5-3. lost in SV 4-2) But Yaraslau has 2 seasons of eligibility...Doesn't hut that a Harvard Grad wants to continue his career at RU!

Last edited:
What was Mays best win last year?? What was his big board ranking coming out of hs.. he musta been really high since he didn’t really prove much last year and people here still want to pursue him.. we are really grasping at straws here.. lost to not fully healthy Kanniard last season, .500 record in weak division, didn’t qualify for nationals.. I’m failing to see this upgrade…
Counterpoint: Who is Kanniards best win in his entire NCAA career?

Again, I’m not saying Mays is the long term answer but at the absolute worst he’s a lateral move which equals competition in the room and I absolutely believe he’d be our starter next year unless someone else comes in.

Counterpoint: Who is Kanniards best win in his entire NCAA career?

Again, I’m not saying Mays is the long term answer but at the absolute worst he’s a lateral move which equals competition in the room and I absolutely believe he’d be our starter next year unless someone else comes in.
Fair enough, Kanniard’s best win might be over that Ohio state kid.. or maybe it could end up being over Mays lol.. as for who starts that’s debatable, anyways if he’s not much $$ sure why not.

Fair enough, Kanniard’s best win might be over that Ohio state kid.. or maybe it could end up being over Mays lol.. as for who starts that’s debatable, anyways if he’s not much $$ sure why not.
Kannards best win is Gilcher from Indiana ….mays had a good start but hit a freshman wall and really struggled on the mat , but he has a much better gas tank and is already better on his feet than Kannard ( he should’ve redshirted but rider sucks and had no one else) , plus the black hole Rutgers has had at 165 for awhile now , y all are crazy for not wanting mays , he already has the neutral game, give him some time with Pritzlaff and the kid will definitely be an AA

I was hoping he’d come here coming out, and still do. He’s got two wins over Gayer

Kannards best win is Gilcher from Indiana ….mays had a good start but hit a freshman wall and really struggled on the mat , but he has a much better gas tank and is already better on his feet than Kannard ( he should’ve redshirted but rider sucks and had no one else) , plus the black hole Rutgers has had at 165 for awhile now , y all are crazy for not wanting mays , he already has the neutral game, give him some time with Pritzlaff and the kid will definitely be an AA
Im not sure if he’s a future AA but I do agree his potential is higher than anyone presently at Rutgers in that 157/165 range

Im not sure if he’s a future AA but I do agree his potential is higher than anyone presently at Rutgers in that 157/165 range
As long as this past season at rider didn’t tank his confidence, with sometime in a big ten room with real practice partners , I believe 1-2 years from now he could be a solid top 10-15 guy consistently ..plus he has a lot more exciting style than Kannard and whatevers left of O’Neil , you definitely won’t see mays just circling and taking half shots down 2 late ,for better or worse he ll go down swinging

Been a good off season so far.
Wishlist
1) Top 10 Recruit at a weight of need - Potential Multi AA Check
2) Heavyweight transfer - potential AA CHeck
3) Middleweight transfer - TBD

A great off season (IMO) would be to add one more potential AA in lineup
I heard in a podcast that Poz was potentially going 197?
He seemed small for me at 184 (Height wise).
His quickness may be a plus at that weight

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Aren't you glad I kept bringing him up? 😊 Maybe he will be a good add if he does come. I hope they're being very careful with the money they do have.

Wishlist

Poz has been a favorite of mine. I hope the year off has done him more good than harm. I've been concerned since just after his match with Brooks. From afar, I hadn't seen either Poz or Soldano as small for the weight, but one of them will have to move to another weight, or we'll be without one of our best wrestlers. I don't know that Soldano could cut another ten pounds and remain healthy and strong. There were reports of Poz spending a lot of time in the weight room, which is good regardless of which weight he wrestles, but especially if he goes up to 197. If he does, I hope he can be competitive. I expect Packer will redshirt. All of this talk pretty much discounts Janzer's chances of holding the spot. We'll see.

Aren't you glad I kept bringing him up? 😊 Maybe he will be a good add if he does come. I hope they're being very careful with the money they do have.
We will see. You made a very good point w/ the money allocation so it will all depend.. I want to be on what PSU’s on though, in that he will def be an AA.. seen this too many times.. if he does come I’ll have no expectations and hope for the best. I do Gotta say I’m loving the off-season we are having so far.. gotta give Goodale n staff props for that.

Poz has been a favorite of mine. I hope the year off has done him more good than harm. I've been concerned since just after his match with Brooks. From afar, I hadn't seen either Poz or Soldano as small for the weight, but one of them will have to move to another weight, or we'll be without one of our best wrestlers. I don't know that Soldano could cut another ten pounds and remain healthy and strong. There were reports of Poz spending a lot of time in the weight room, which is good regardless of which weight he wrestles, but especially if he goes up to 197. If he does, I hope he can be competitive. I expect Packer will redshirt. All of this talk pretty much discounts Janzer's chances of holding the spot. We'll see.
Is Janzer still wrestling? For some reason i thought he graduated

It’s the offseason. You’re not going to get an updated roster any time soon. Professional sports organizations don’t even update their rosters until the next preseason starts.

Not sure why Boone would stay but entering the portal and/or graduating doesn’t necessarily mean an athlete is going elsewhere.

It’s the offseason. You’re not going to get an updated roster any time soon. Professional sports organizations don’t even update their rosters until the next preseason starts.

Not sure why Boone would stay but entering the portal and/or graduating doesn’t necessarily mean an athlete is going elsewhere.
Didn't you claim to have put me on ignore? After all, you were encouraging others to do so. I won't be offended.

The Rutgers roster has been far out of date at times and even for two years duration. I'm pretty sure no rule says it can't or shouldn't be kept accurate at any particular time during the year. Others' lack of attention to their rosters gives me no comfort.

If Mays comes to Rutgers next year he will redshirt. The starter at 165 next year might be another portal transfer.

Wishlist

Looks like Poz will move to 197 next year.

TY for the information MM.
How does Poz Look?
I am anxious to see him on the mat.

Yara was nice, Cannon would be great but Shane would be the Home Run. Weight notoriously bad for us and we all know his resume.
Michigan/PSU probably fav rn for Griffith.. he’s only going be one year and might go 174 as well.

Michigan/PSU probably fav rn for Griffith.. he’s only going be one year and might go 174 as well.
Griffith would be an upgrade at 65 for PSU but it’s not like they need him there and they risk rocking the apple cart for a 1 year rental that wouldn’t change the outcome of their season

Griffith would be an upgrade at 65 for PSU but it’s not like they need him there and they risk rocking the apple cart for a 1 year rental that wouldn’t change the outcome of their season
Agreed, they are winning regardless next year even if no points are scored at 65 for them.. Facundo also still has a RS to use I believe.. so theoretically it would work for them but yeah won’t change outcome of their season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT